Samsung launches Galaxy Fold with new materials, tweaked design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Be honest, Sammy. The design change was adding a “do not remove protective film” sticker. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 22 of 97
    danuff said:
    Samsung is so afraid of Apple and what the iPhone 11 may (or may not) bring to the table, that they made sure that the device hit the streets before the newest iPhone. Only time will tell if that was another mistake.
    Well no...
    Apple is dependent on Samsung for much of its R&D & screen design.  Without Samsung all they have are old LCDs from Japan DIsplay.
    Samsung and Huawei invest in themselves and their products.   Like most American companies, Apple should try it - instead of handing out welfare to its managers and stockholders.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 23 of 97
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    So, did they rework all the old, flawed phones or produce new phones from scratch?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 97
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    michelb76 said:
    metrix said:
    It's like Samsung put in $100,000 into a slot machine and the largest payout is $10,000
    It's prestige and marketing. Most other vendors don't have a similar item on the market and are thus 'behind the curve' in the eyes of most consumers.
    This- there is a value to the brand in being first to market with something, even if it’s not fully mature. Of course there’s a big potential of damage to the brand when you have the utter disaster that Samsung did with the first release. That failure only upped the pressure to release the Fold so they could try and regain some of their reputation.

Avon is right - it’s a first gen device. What it will evolve into (if anything) remains to be seen.
    GeorgeBMacchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 97
    ac88ac88 Posts: 24member
    For the life of me, I can't understand that practical application of the folded aspect ratio for this device or holding what seems to be a rather-unwieldy, nearly square unfolded device that comports with next-to-no content beyond suduko and bingo games. Happy to be wrong but this seems like a solution that's looking for a problem, or innovation that began with technology rather than a desire- or needs-based view of things.
    cincymacradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 97
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    It's easy to poke fun a Samsung for launching duds but at least they are trying to push things forward unlike Apple which uses the same iPhone 6 form to keep costs down and profits high. 
    80s_Apple_Guychemengin1
  • Reply 27 of 97
    Ahem...
    ’Fold’ me once...

;-)
    radarthekatRayz2016anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 97
    spheric said:
    alanh said:
    sflocal said:
    Let the self-destruction begin!

I bet Huawei is not going to announce anything and play the wait and see approach in the even Samsung's phone starts falling apart again.
    Is this even English?
    Yes. One typo and a lack of punctuation completely obscures meaning, though. 

“I bet Huawei is not going to announce anything and play the wait-and-see approach, in the event Samsung's phone starts falling apart again.”
    Not everyone speaks English as a first language, try a little harder to get the message instead of pointing out grammar mistakes. 
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 97

Massive failure.
    Yes they should stop innovating like Apple did after the iPhone 6
  • Reply 30 of 97

danuff said:
    Samsung is so afraid of Apple and what the iPhone 11 may (or may not) bring to the table, that they made sure that the device hit the streets before the newest iPhone. Only time will tell if that was another mistake.
    Nobody is "afraid of Apple" since Apple stopped leading the way. It may take a few years but another company will break the mold ( I mean that in every way ) Apple created with the iPhone and change everything. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 31 of 97
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    avon b7 said:
    There's no getting away from it. This is cutting edge technology and it doesn't matter how it plays out - today - from a technology perspective. This is first generation. A necessary first step. If there are to be more steps in this area, it will be thanks to these phones, both in terms of technology improvements and for price.

Lessons will be learnt and we will all benefit. 

Right now, these phones are only for those who have $2,000 of readily disposable income and I mean truly disposable. I very much doubt that any of the first gen Fold buyers are looking at a two year upgrade. They will upgrade as soon as there is a new one.

Many of the people in this thread are almost willing it to fail. I prefer to at least give the thing a chance. I think we all should.

It’s not a necessary first step. There has been almost no call for a large folding phone. This is simply a matter of prestige for Samsung, Huawei and others. They believe, wrongly, that whoever gets to be first will be on the historical record for that. But, in reality, what will happen is that the record will be talking instead about how the technology wasn’t ready, and how rash those companies were in their race for marketing purposes. These companies could have easily done more R&D to iron out these problems.

If indeed these “fixes” improve the reliability and performance of this phone, it just shows that Samsung should have waited before attempting the first release. If, after some time, they do begin to fail again, it will show that they shouldn’t have released it at all, and should instead have continued R&D until these problems were completely resolved. If they found that they couldn’t completely resolve the issues, then they could have just not released the phone at all, and not embarrassed themselves for a second time since the first major blunder with the Note 7.

while you continue to say that Huawei didn’t hold back their introduction in order to redesign some aspects of their phone, you’re just wrong. You’re not even thinking clearly on this. If their phone was spic and span, as you keep saying it is, without holding, or using one, of course, then Huawei would have had no reason to back out of their launch. But they did. They had the chance to be second, since another phone was at least shown, by, who was it again, Xiaomi? It doesn’t matter really, as all of them will fail in the marketplace, if not in your hand.

and it’s not a matter of us giving it a chance. None of us here will be buying one, and that includes you. Giving it a chance means buying one.

maybe some time from now, someone will get it right.
    edited September 2019 radarthekattmayStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamanantksundaramwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 32 of 97
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    spice-boy said:

danuff said:
    Nobody is "afraid of Apple" since Apple stopped leading the way. It may take a few years but another company will break the mold ( I mean that in every way ) Apple created with the iPhone and change everything. 
    Maybe, since you feel that way, you should leave here, and stay on a Samsung forum, and site.
    radarthekatMacThaLifeStrangeDaysbonobobanantksundaramwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 33 of 97
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    riverko said:
    I may not be a fan of Samsung, but i wish them luck. It’s not a device i could need, but it is some innovation that can be really remarkable. Time will tell if it is success or fail.
    You mean the ‘idea’ is innovative.  Because producing a garbage product based upon even the most innovative idea is definitely NOT innovative.  It’s hubris, it’s folly.  Not innovation.  
    StrangeDaysanantksundaramwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 34 of 97
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Even I could see the flaws of their FOLD phone. How they could have tried releasing that one?!?!? I haven't seen good new pictures of this updated version yet, so who knows this time around. Good luck Samesung. Not sure why they didn't go out with release their new phone once again to the Tech Industry people to try out and review first. Are they still worried?

You can get a phone and a tablet for the price of this FOLD and have better devices overall. This FOLD still has the plastic screen. Plastic still easily scratches. It doesn't have the same type of feel as glass. I still think there is going to be screen issues opening and closing the phone all the time. It's going to be interesting to see how this works out for them. Why they rushed out the first version, and didn't just do what they did this time around?
    edited September 2019 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 97
    ivanh said:
    Disappointed by Apple in the last few years for minor tech improvement as “upgrades” each year but at total lost “replacement” costs, I’ll take a glimpse at this new Samsung device and consider to jump over to an Android machine.
    Iterative improvement is how Apple rolls, Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up.

...iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations.

But enjoy your android, please. Your posts make clear you’re not happy with Apple devices. 
    edited September 2019 tmaywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 36 of 97

avon b7 said:
    There's no getting away from it. This is cutting edge technology and it doesn't matter how it plays out - today - from a technology perspective. This is first generation. A necessary first step. If there are to be more steps in this area, it will be thanks to these phones, both in terms of technology improvements and for price.
    Not really. If, say, Apple were to release a folding device, I very much doubt it will be based on this crap, and instead on their own internal R&D. But nice attempt at claiming Apple future products are beholden to your knockoffs. 

And you people would blow your gaskets if Apple releases a $2,000 working prototype—I mean, first generation phone.
    edited September 2019 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 97
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    ivanh said:
    Disappointed by Apple in the last few years for minor tech improvement as “upgrades” each year but at total lost “replacement” costs, I’ll take a glimpse at this new Samsung device and consider to jump over to an Android machine.
    Awesome! Please let us know how it works for you. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 97
    spice-boy said:
    It's easy to poke fun a Samsung for launching duds but at least they are trying to push things forward unlike Apple which uses the same iPhone 6 form to keep costs down and profits high. 
    Errnnt. Apple, of course, pushes things forward every year. The tech in these devices is not the shape of the handset’s shell. You are, in effect, asking for a Triangle Phone, which is ridiculous. The form factor is a flat rectangle. Deal. The tech is what goes inside that rectangle. 
    tmaybonobobfastasleepwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 39 of 97

spice-boy said:

Massive failure.
    What drugs are you on? Their A-series SoC are dramatically evolved since the 6. Computational photography, Low light video. TruTone. Underwater rated. OIS in the non-plus/max. Power efficiency. FaceID. Etc...

Oh but it’s still a rectangle. Uh huh. 
    tmaybonobobradarthekatrandominternetpersonanantksundaramfastasleepFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 40 of 97
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member

spice-boy said:

Massive failure.
    What drugs are you on? Their A-series SoC are dramatically evolved since the 6. Computational photography, Low light video. TruTone. Underwater rated. OIS in the non-plus/max. Power efficiency. FaceID. Etc...

Oh but it’s still a rectangle. Uh huh. 
    Completely missing from troll conversations is how Apple is the acknowledged leader in wearables, which are in fact, the alternatives to the current and future iPhone phone factor.
    radarthekatanantksundaramStrangeDaysFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0