Garmin takes on Apple Watch with OLED-based Venu, Marvel wearables

Posted:
in General Discussion
Garmin has updated its smartwatch lineup to better take on the dominating Apple Watch, with the Venu GPS smartwatch equipped with a circular 1.2-inch AMOLED display, while the Legacy Hero Series scales up its earlier child-focused Marvel watches for adult wrists.

Garmin Venu smartwatch
The Garmin Venu smartwatch collection

Launched at IFA in Germany, the Venu is the first smartwatch from Garmin to use an OLED 390-by-390 resolution screen, bringing it in line with the Apple Watch, protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3 and a stainless steel bezel. Packed into a fiber-reinforced polymer case, the watch measures 43.2 millimeters (1.7 inches) in diameter with a thickness of 12.4 millimeters (0.5 inches).

Said to offer round-the-clock health monitoring, the Venu can track the user's energy levels throughout the day, as well as the user's breathing, blood oxygen saturation, stress, and heart rate. There are also features to log water intake and to monitor hydration, as well as the menstrual cycle.

For fitness, the watch includes a selection of animated cardio, strength, yoga, and Pilates workouts viewable on the screen, with more able to be downloaded from Garmin Connect's online community. More than 20 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps are also included, allowing users to monitor a wide range of fitness activities.

Like other smartwatches, it is capable of displaying message notifications and alerts, play songs from Spotify, Deezer, and Amazon Music through wireless headphones, can install other apps from the Connect IQ store, and can be used for contactless payments via Garmin Pay.

While improved, the battery life of the Venu is a potential issue, with Garmin claiming up to five days of usage in smartwatch mode, but only up to six hours in "GPS + Music mode."

Garmin is shipping the Venu in September, priced at $399.99.

In a bid to capitalize on the Marvel Avengers popularity, Garmin is also updating its previously-for-kids Marvel-themed watch lineup with two versions aimed at adult users. The Legacy Hero Series consists of two round smartwatches with the Captain Marvel watch sporting a 1.1-inch 218-by-218 resolution display while the First Avenger version has a 1.3-inch 260-by-260 screen.

Many of the features seen in the Venu appear in these models, including 24-7 health monitoring, sleep tracking, respiration and hydration tracking, and menstrual cycle monitoring. Animated workouts, notifications, music playback, and Garmin Pay are also included, while battery life is said to be up to seven days for the Captain Marvel model, eight days for the First Avenger.

Both Marvel watches will be shipping in October, priced at $399.99.
albegarc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    The biggest attraction and advantage of the Apple Watch for me is how well it’s integrated with my iPhone. I do prefer the round face (I’m kind of a traditionalist that way,) but without the iOS integration, the value of a smart watch drops exponentially for me. 
    albegarcrazorpitwatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 29
    matteblack13matteblack13 Posts: 15unconfirmed, member
    Lol. I thought it said these were made to compete? At virtually the same price as the Apple Watch, what’s the benefit? I don’t see it doing anything to differentiate itself really unless you’re a total fitness nut.
    albegarcmacplusplusrazorpitwatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 29
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Lol. I thought it said these were made to compete? At virtually the same price as the Apple Watch, what’s the benefit?
    Not being locked to Apple, sturdier, better for activity, more focused on the essential functionality, way more battery life, among other things...
    Carnagecaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 29
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    I already have my Marvel watch...

albegarcchiawatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 5 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Lol. I thought it said these were made to compete? At virtually the same price as the Apple Watch, what’s the benefit? I don’t see it doing anything to differentiate itself really unless you’re a total fitness nut.
    Garmin isn't generally targeting the Apple Watch. They've long invested in developing wrist-worn fitness devices and are more focused on that market than the general use Apple Watch. Most people don't need either one but a general use device would tend to be more appropriate. Garmin does not make general use smartwatches. For strictly fitness purposes, cycling, hiking, running, etc Garmin smartwatches might be a better choice, plus some folks will simply prefer the styling. 
    edited September 2019 albegarcrevenantGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 29
    seanj said:

Does that band ever pull on your hair?
    CarnagemacplusplusAppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 29
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    foljs said:
    Lol. I thought it said these were made to compete? At virtually the same price as the Apple Watch, what’s the benefit?
    Not being locked to Apple, sturdier, better for activity, more focused on the essential functionality, way more battery life, among other things...
    While improved, the battery life of the Venu is a potential issue, with Garmin claiming up to five days of usage in smartwatch mode, but only up to six hours in "GPS + Music mode."  B)
    albegarcradarthekatchiacaladanianwatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 8 of 29
    seanj said:

No but it causes him heart attacks by acting as a tourniquet. But the Apple Watch can detect heart attacks so it's okay. ;-)
    edited September 2019 gatorguydhawkins541bonobobradarthekatmacguimacplusplusrazorpitAppleExposed
  • Reply 9 of 29
    seanj said:

No but it causes him heart attacks by acting as a tourniquet. But the Apple Watch can detect heart attacks so it's okay. ;-)
    Omg I almost just died laughing from that…
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Always on display, battery life, physical buttons, round face, OS agnostic. You don't need to be a total fitness nut to buy Garmin, perhaps just slightly more interested in fitness than casual level.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I do wish Apple would incorporate the comprehensive suit of health monitoring features as the Garmin does as standard. Blood oxygen saturation and stress in particular.
    edited September 2019 caladanian
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Looks nice, assuming it's Android? There's no mention of the OS that's used. Google Watch OS? I'm losing track..,
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    1983 said:
    I do wish Apple would incorporate the comprehensive suit of health monitoring features as the Garmin does as standard. Blood oxygen saturation and stress in particular.

How do they measure oxygenation without taking a blood sample?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    1983 said:

How do they measure oxygenation without taking a blood sample?

Pulse oximetry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_oximetry?wprov=sfti1
    GeorgeBMacrazorpitcaladanian
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Anyone else ready for a round Apple Watch?
    macguiCarnage
  • Reply 16 of 29
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    jcs2305 said:
    foljs said:
    While improved, the battery life of the Venu is a potential issue, with Garmin claiming up to five days of usage in smartwatch mode, but only up to six hours in "GPS + Music mode."  B)
    I’m sorry, are you getting 5 days from your Apple Watch?   I know I’m not. This is with continuous hr monitoring, too, too. Does your watch go 6 hours with music and gps??
  • Reply 17 of 29
    No way. Why would I want to give up usable screen area? My watch is for rendering data, not a shell for the swinging arms of a mechanical clock. 
    macpluspluscaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    No way. Why would I want to give up usable screen area? My watch is for rendering data, not a shell for the swinging arms of a mechanical clock. 
    You don't have to buy the round one if they make it. Just continue with the square. Choices are OK. 
    revenantMplsPCarnage
  • Reply 19 of 29
    seanj said:

Nope, never any - probably the first metal watch strap I’ve ever had that hasn’t trapped or pulled hairs.
    stevenozwatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 20 of 29
    seanj said:

Omg I almost just died laughing from that…
    No it looks tight because it’s auto-tightens to do blood pressure measurement... you mean your watch doesn’t do that?... 
    watto_cobraAppleExposed