Ever notice what everyone here says about the press?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Basically everyone here who mentions the slant the press puts on a topic claims that they are always taking a stance against the person making the claim. Conservatives always attack the "liberal" or "anti-American" media, and liberals always rant about how the media promotes Bush and the war.

Maybe... maybe it's just a sign that the media is actually pretty neutral on the matter and everyone is just putting their own slant on it so the media looks terrible in their eyes. They don't actively support war so the conservatives get angry at them. They don't actively oppose war so the liberals get angry at them. Or maybe they're not neutral, but as a whole, they balance out, and people with heavily swayed viewpoints only see the side they're against.

I mean, it's not possible for the ENTIRE media to be both conservative and liberal at the same time. Is there something I'm missing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Maybe... maybe it's just a sign that the media is actually pretty neutral on the matter and everyone is just putting their own slant on it so the media looks terrible in their eyes.

That's definitely possible. It's also understandable for American networks to report mostly positive info only to boost troop morale.

However, you only need to check out the coverage from sources other than the CNN and the big 4 US networks to see how information is reported. The BBC and CBC are two examples.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The press sucks : she do not always write what i want to read.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Basically everyone here who mentions the slant the press puts on a topic claims that they are always taking a stance against the person making the claim. Conservatives always attack the "liberal" or "anti-American" media, and liberals always rant about how the media promotes Bush and the war.

Maybe... maybe it's just a sign that the media is actually pretty neutral on the matter and everyone is just putting their own slant on it so the media looks terrible in their eyes. They don't actively support war so the conservatives get angry at them. They don't actively oppose war so the liberals get angry at them. Or maybe they're not neutral, but as a whole, they balance out, and people with heavily swayed viewpoints only see the side they're against.

I mean, it's not possible for the ENTIRE media to be both conservative and liberal at the same time. Is there something I'm missing?

Are you kidding me?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I'm just watching Fox News: David Horowitz claims, "Michael Moore is a marxist, communist, and a rascist." TOTALLY unchallenged by the Fox News correspondent. In fact, it was pretty much agreed upon. This is the "hard news," folks. Not the opinion shows.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Racist? How'd they come up with that one? Pulled it out of their ass or something? I can see how an ultra-conservative gun-toter could call Michael Moore a "Marxist" or a "Communist" but a racist? WTF?

Okay okay so that image could also be construed as offensive just as calling Michael Moore a racist is offensive. I just find it funny so that's why I put it there
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I greatly dislike Michael Moore. I disliked him before his current jackass comments and I dislike him still now.

One of my favorite sites for this joke of a guy is moorewatch.

In any case... I don?t hate Michael Moore, I pity him. He will die like the kids in Columbine did.... alone and without friends. (how poetic)
  • Reply 7 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    So you think he's a jackass... but do you think he's a racist?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    That's an interesting picture, Luca. Thanks for bringing that to our attention. But, if anything, Fox News would criticize Bush for not being conservative enough. So that's where the analogy ends.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Aw great...I HATE ANN COULTER. There's nothing else I can say about her! She is completely closed and biased.

Ah now for Michael Moore. No he is not racist, thats nonsense. No intelligent person would say that: "Bowling for Columbine" clearly addresses his conerns with the FOCUS on crime and blacks!!

FOX, if its true then should be ashamed.

I know a lot of you are pissed off at him so I'll leave my defenses of him off this post, BUT the site defaming his is just that, defamation.

Stating that anyone with a brain would say he is highly fallacious is a plain old baseless insult and making fun of his weight is ad-hominem and hopelessly revealing of this site's potential to assess his views in the light of sense and logic. (see the lard in his hand)

This site is devoid of journalistic integrity:

They speak of "doublespeak and falsehood " which is clearly a massive assumption since these people must have fallen asleep whiel watching his MOVIE! It addresses all kinds of problems with media, guns and it was put together very well being that it was not a documentary.

Furthermore they call him "a disingenuous danger to this country" which is a travesty of a statement since things such as the statistics used in his movie WERE valid and were implemented properly supporting his arguements against gun ownership! He brought in Charleton Hestons HASTY visit to the town where the young girl was shot by the boy who brought his uncle's gun to school...which is certainly also valid.

His concerns are certainly as valid as any other persons!

In the end this site's intention is to MUZZLE Michael Moore by dissing him, someone who is interested in the security and safety of North America.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalMonkeyBoy

[Michael Moore?] someone who is interested in the security and safety of North America.

• Reply 11 of 18
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Ha that article sounds like Salon is just sour because no one will give them a show

But seroiusly, conservatives have overrun the media with Fox News and ummm... errr... who else again in the mainstream TV media? Funny that they lump Matt Drudge in there, he's hardly the public antithesis of a Dan Rather or Peter Jennings.

A few examples of liberal bias that will be ignored by liberal posters here

Oh and did anyone catch the anti-war rally on tv the other night.. uhh I mean the Oscars?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Oh look "Not Unlike Myself", I am trying to react to your laughing face but oh my, your rebuttle is devoid of content and is actually a simple appeal to insult.

Glad you have the time to come along, pick out one thing I said and laugh at it and use that to validate yourself to others. Thanks.

Now for your implication. I beleive what you're implying is that the quote is not true...

Tell me. Does being against a war, a war which has been debated steadily by many nations and a debate finally shut down because parties interested in going t o war do so, imply that the person or group against war is NOT interested in the "security and safety of North America" as much as anyone else?

The debate being heavily debated and finally shut down like it was validates that it is still an open issue...

The answer by the way is No.

I am interested in the safety of me and you. I do not like the war situation for so many reasons which we need not delve into....Contradiction? No not here either.

Try words, I hear that educated people are making out quite well with them.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    dviant, about your link there.

Quote:

lists all the awful things the U.S. has supposedly inflicted on the world

So they're denying that these things happened??! Thats pure propaganda, denial and using the falsity to help defame him. Thats entirely dishonourable.

I mean do the people who dislike Moore deny these historical facts?!! Thats gross man! Thats like the ****ing Holocaust. Shame on CyberAlert Extra.

And no I do not think ""Except I would alter that to say, 'Guns don't kill people, Americans kill people.'" Was a smart comment.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    You people still watch TV news? I can read any major newspaper I want online, get a wide range of views, and read articles that go much more in depth than the silly excuse for 'news' that shows up on TV. You CANNOT recap the entire days worth of news in 30 minutes.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

Ha that article sounds like Salon is just sour because no one will give them a show

But seroiusly, conservatives have overrun the media with Fox News and ummm... errr... who else again in the mainstream TV media? Funny that they lump Matt Drudge in there, he's hardly the public antithesis of a Dan Rather or Peter Jennings.

A few examples of liberal bias that will be ignored by liberal posters here

Oh and did anyone catch the anti-war rally on tv the other night.. uhh I mean the Oscars?

.STttttttreeecccchhhH!!!!

Oh no, "Diversity." Those bad liberals.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalMonkeyBoy

dviant, about your link there.

So they're denying that these things happened??! Thats pure propaganda, denial and using the falsity to help defame him. Thats entirely dishonourable.

I mean do the people who dislike Moore deny these historical facts?!! Thats gross man! Thats like the ****ing Holocaust. Shame on CyberAlert Extra.

And no I do not think ""Except I would alter that to say, 'Guns don't kill people, Americans kill people.'" Was a smart comment.

I don't deny these things happened but the blithe manner in which moore relates deaths to American input is seriously seriously misleading . . . to the point that it virtually invalidates any point that he might want to make in the rest of the film: it is facile and manipulative in a manner that if I had seen the likes from a Conservative on their agenda I would be angered and flabergasted that people could swallow it

Its sentimental distortion of cause and effect and funding and support being equated completely with enacting of deeds all done over cheap emotional music just makes me sick . . . I just have to say again the word Manipulative . . .and yes . . .propaganda

and I'm usually lumped tgether with the Libby-ral crowd . . .

now, as far as teh "overwhelming biase" of ABC or CBS that's a whole other story . . . but for the most part I'll just say that their goal is to sell airtime . . . the form of the programming (meaning the shape of how it does what it does) is so necessarily biased towards a commodity fetichism that it naturally would overwhelm any supposed Liberal biase . . . a biase which is, besides, 'fictitious'
  • Reply 17 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The conservative press was seen prying heat tiles off of the Shuttle orbiter Columbia. SPJ won't say it anymore, but that's because the government's assassins are everwh
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The conservative press was seen prying heat tiles off of the Shuttle orbiter Columbia. SPJ won't say it anymore, but that's because the government's assassins are everwh

Will you get off that already lol? Let's talk about Segways. Or college. Or upcoming movies. Or Jennifer Connelly. She's hot.