Leaked Apple document says new Siri device is coming by fall 2021

Posted:
in iOS edited November 2020
Leaked documents relating to Siri reveal upgrades to the digital assistant are coming in late 2021, aimed at supporting a new piece of hardware.

A list of Siri upgrades expected to arrive before "fall 2021" includes expected elements for "new hardware support" for a "new device," though a report published on Friday is light on those details. Codenamed "Yukon," the upgrades to Siri will introduce support for Find my Friends to the voice-based service, the documents claim. Siri will also include support for accessing the App Store, though the capabilities relating to that are not advised by a report.

Built-in machine translation could enable language interpreting capabilities within Siri, without needing a cellular or other network connection at all, a feature that could be handy for travelers.

A large section of the internal documents, provided to The Guardian by a former Siri "grader," mentions how Siri could work with other devices in a variety of ways. At its simplest, features to enable Siri to read out message notifications to users wearing AirPods is suggested, while the ability to use Shazam via Siri on Apple Watch is also touted.

A bigger feature could be commanding Siri on one device to perform actions on another. One example given is to "Play Taylor Swift on my HomePod," which could be said on an Apple Watch or iPhone remotely and interpreted to control the user's smart speaker at home.

Arguably the biggest element is the ability to "have a back-and-forth conversation about health problems" with Siri. While this could take the form of Siri providing a basic diagnosis of the user to see if medical treatment is worth attaining, it is also possible that the conversations could form part of HealthKit or ResearchKit, Apple's initiatives in the medical field.

Despite the lack of information relating to what kind of new Siri-equipped devices are on the way, one of the most likely candidates is the HomePod, which is enjoying success in reaching markets like China where rival systems from Google and Amazon aren't available. It is plausible that Apple could produce a "mini" version of the HomePod, offering consumers a cheaper and smaller version in a similar vein to the Google Home Mini and the Amazon Echo Dot.

Apple has been rumored to be working on a new generation of the audio device for some time, with a cheaper variant also predicted by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in April 2018, though such a model has yet to be launched.

Keep up with all the Apple news with your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," -- or bookmark this link -- and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Apple canceled AirPower wireless charger after it was announced.
    There is much unknown for a device which yet to be announced and appear in about 2 years. 
    And I am sure Apple works and tries even more technologies and devices. And we could speculate ton of time about hypothetical devices. And how many of these devices will actually see the day of light?

randominternetpersonchemengin1muthuk_vanalingamAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 33
    urahara said:
    Apple canceled AirPower wireless charger after it was announced.
    There is much unknown for a device which yet to be announced and appear in about 2 years. 
    And I am sure Apple works and tries even more technologies and devices. And we could speculate ton of time about hypothetical devices. And how many of these devices will actually see the day of light?

Personally I appreciate hearing rumours even if they don't pan out, but you're of course correct that even if this is planned now, in two years this could change. 
    narwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The entire Guardian article is worth reading as it has far more to say than "a new device might be coming in 2021".  In fact that was more an afterthought mentioned in the last paragraphs and not the focus or even a leading reason the Guardian reported the story. 

-Siri training for touchy subjects. 
    -Sources of the audio recordings include Airpods, Carplay, iPads, and AppleTV in addition to two other unmentioned devices tho the iPhone would be almost certainly be one of those and Homepod the other.  
    -Siri grading screenshots? The Guardian has them ( "...50 screenshots of Siri requests and their automatically-produced transcripts, including personally identifiable information...")  and may or may not be shown as some point, but the ability to publish them certainly limited by the EU's privacy guidelines. I'd lean to heavily redacted if published at all. 
    - There's more to "Siri Grading" than simply transcribing some Siri recordings. Crafting Siri replies is one of them.  

The AI article has the link to the original Guardian report this one was based on (highlighted in blue) but for those who don't see it:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/sep/06/apple-rewrote-siri-to-deflect-questions-about-feminism
    edited September 2019 SpamSandwichapplesnorangesmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 33

A list of Siri upgrades expected to arrive before "fall 2021" includes expected elements for "new hardware support" for a "new device," though a report published on Friday is light on those details. 
    1) Ugh, why so long?
    Codenamed "Yukon," the upgrades to Siri will introduce support for Find my Friends to the voice-based service, the documents claim. Siri will also include support for accessing the App Store, though the capabilities relating to that are not advised by a report. 

A bigger feature could be commanding Siri on one device to perform actions on another. One example given is to "Play Taylor Swift on my HomePod," which could be said on an Apple Watch or iPhone remotely and interpreted to control the user's smart speaker at home. 
    2) I can ask Siri on my phone and my Mac where people are and get their location now. It doesn't work on HomePod or Watch but I don't see how this is different (other than expanding the capability to other devices, and again, why so long?)

3) I can ask Siri on my phone or Apple TV to play music on my HomePod now. It doesn't work on my Mac or Watch. Interestingly, if I ask Siri on Apple TV to play music on my HomePod that music will continue to play while I watch a movie on the same Apple TV. Going back to the Music app on Apple TV will still show whatever is currently playing via the HomePod.

I don't understand why Siri can do things on one device that it can't do another (in most cases, there are some that I understand like asking HomePod to show me photos, for example). Are these artificial limitations imposed by Apple or are there really technical issues that need to be resolved first?
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    Apple really needs to improve Siri’s functionality first. Every time I ask her something the main answer I get is “I found this on the web for...”

if i ask her to turn on an alarm, she makes a new one rather then activating one I already have so I have to manually go delete all the extra alarms later. When I ask her to add a reminder to a list I never know which list it will end up on. The list goes on. Her voice recognition is quite good. Language interpretation not so much. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 33
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member

;) 
    AppleInsider said:

A bigger feature could be commanding Siri on one device to perform actions on another. One example given is to "Play Taylor Swift on my HomePod," which could be said on an Apple Watch or iPhone remotely and interpreted to control the user's smart speaker at home.
    I can assure you that this request will never be made on my Apple Watch or on my iPhone nor in my home on my HomePods... ;)
    edited September 2019 jcs2305king editor the gratecincyteehammeroftruthzoetmb
  • Reply 7 of 33
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    2years from now? Big deal.  Technology changes so fast the two years is a lifetime  
    chemengin1SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 33
    MplsP said:

if i ask her to turn on an alarm, she makes a new one rather then activating one I already have so I have to manually go delete all the extra alarms later. When I ask her to add a reminder to a list I never know which list it will end up on. 
    I mentioned in another thread recently that I'm baffled by the fact that different people can ask Siri the same question and get a different result. When I make the request, "Turn on my 4:45 am alarm" an alarm that already exists gets turned on, another one is not created. I present my request different ways, like, "Set a 4:45 am alarm" and "Wake me up at 4:45 am" and that same alarm I already have is simply turned on, just like I expect. My wife has a similar issue to you and when she asks Siri to turn on an alarm another one is created and she ends up with a bunch of duplicate alarms.

gatorguy said:
    The entire Guardian article is worth reading as it has far more to say than "a new device might be coming in 2021".  In fact that was more an afterthought mentioned in the last paragraphs and not the focus or even a leading reason the Guardian reported the story. 
    Thanks for pointing that out. I read the Guardian article and it's much different than I had expected, based on this article. I found the "touchy subjects" part interesting, though it came off to me as trying to make something out of Apple's desire for Siri's answers to be neutral. Neutral answers from a voice assistant makes sense to me. Not providing neutral answers would certainly open up a can of worms, and not just around "feminism" which the Guardian article mentions.
    dws-2watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    mobird said:

;) 
    AppleInsider said:

I can assure you that this request will never be made on my Apple Watch or on my iPhone nor in my home on my HomePods... ;)
    Hahahaha ..
  • Reply 10 of 33
    mobird said:

;) 
    AppleInsider said:

Ha! Just do what I do, "Hey Siri, never play Taylor Swift music." "OK, I'll remember that you don't like Taylor."
    mobirdrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 33
    urahara said:
    ... how many of these devices will actually see the day of light?
    Apple's Next Innovation: Devices That Can Only Be Used by Moonlight!
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 12 of 33
     A large section of the internal documents, provided to The Guardian by a former Siri "grader," mentions how Siri ”

I’m verg surprised à Siri grading contractor had access to Siri’s development plans 
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Siri: "Taylor Swift called and expressed her desire to 'service' you. She was informed you don't like her."
    mobird said:
     "OK, I'll remember that you don't like Taylor."
  • Reply 14 of 33
    "A bigger feature could be commanding Siri on one device to perform actions on another. One example given is to "Play Taylor Swift on my HomePod," which could be said on an Apple Watch or iPhone remotely and interpreted to control the user's smart speaker at home. "

This is already works on iPhone, it just selects the appropriate output device. E.g. Just say something like "Play this on my HomePod".
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 33
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    " Siri providing a basic diagnosis of the user to see if medical treatment is worth attaining" Wow Apple is sending out an invitation for a million lawsuits. 

• Reply 16 of 33
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Siri is actually operated by an old circus man who pulls levers and hides behind a green curtain. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Is it a robot?  I think it’s a robot. 
  • Reply 18 of 33
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    First, why on earth would Apple give information to a “grader” about future product plans? Second these so called ‘future plans’ are said to pertain to Find My Friends - an app that Apple announced a replacement for 4 months ago. Some of these so called future upgrades sound like existing features.

The Gaurdian report says that the iOS13 Siri upgrades are code named “Yukon” and that the next set of upcoming Siri upgrades is called “Yukon + 1” and is slated for fall 2021. This gives the impression Apple are planning on skipping a year, no Siri upgrades scheduled for 2020. I don’t believe it.

I think some of the odd details in this information could have been deliberately inserted by Apple’s security people so that they can pinpoint which employees/contractors are leaking stuff to the media.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 33
    MplsP said:

if i ask her to turn on an alarm, she makes a new one rather then activating one I already have so I have to manually go delete all the extra alarms later. When I ask her to add a reminder to a list I never know which list it will end up on. 
    I mentioned in another thread recently that I'm baffled by the fact that different people can ask Siri the same question and get a different result. When I make the request, "Turn on my 4:45 am alarm" an alarm that already exists gets turned on, another one is not created. I present my request different ways, like, "Set a 4:45 am alarm" and "Wake me up at 4:45 am" and that same alarm I already have is simply turned on, just like I expect. My wife has a similar issue to you and when she asks Siri to turn on an alarm another one is created and she ends up with a bunch of duplicate alarms.

I would suspect the issue is software related. You can make sure the device is backed up, erase it and set it up as new and test Siri. If it stops making duplicate alarms, then it was a software issue. You can try restoring your backup, but there is a risk you will just bring your problem back. 

Software issues on iOS are a pain because most of the time the issue is also in your backup and a lot of times third party apps corrupt your OS and it starts acting like hardware issues like an intermittent unresponsive display, unexpected restart, and short battery life. Updating the OS doesn’t help either because most of the time it doesn’t fix the problem. 

You can erase all settings, but then you have to set up all your settings again along with your background picture and for some that’s a big pain. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 33

1) Ugh, why so long?

This is is an all-too-common lack of appreciation for just how much work is involved in researching, developing, designing, tweaking, refining, and releasing products to the marketplace.

What we are going to see in 4 days was not started one year ago, it was started 2, 3, or 4 years ago, in some form. Apple plays the long game. We only see the finished products when they are released.
    watto_cobra