Leaked Apple document says new Siri device is coming by fall 2021

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 33
    Anything more than 6 months out isn’t much worth delaying or affecting purchasing decisions.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    SIRI IS EVIL
  • Reply 23 of 33
    It would be great if Siri could interface with Watson for diagnosis questions.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    mobirdmobird Posts: 706member
    dougd said:
    SIRI IS EVIL
    So is the software used by Appleinsider to run this site. Can anyone remember when the last time there was an update to the app on the Apple Store?

    I looked it up and the answer is that the Appleinsider app was updated over a year ago on the Apple Store...

    Any chance that the fine folks at Appleinsider would give the dedicated and loyal subscribers of this site and updated platform to share our insightful thoughts, opinions, ideas, as well as the random snarky comments... ;)
    PLEASE

    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33

    1) Ugh, why so long?

    This is is an all-too-common lack of appreciation for just how much work is involved in researching, developing, designing, tweaking, refining, and releasing products to the marketplace.

    What we are going to see in 4 days was not started one year ago, it was started 2, 3, or 4 years ago, in some form. Apple plays the long game. We only see the finished products when they are released.
    Yes. I should have been more clear. My comment was in regard to the Siri upgrades, not the supposed new hardware. 
  • Reply 26 of 33
    I know a lot of people have said they don’t want it or don’t think Apple needs to make it, but I would love an Echo Dot style device. I have several in my house to control my smart lights & devices and they are always giving me trouble. Telling me the lights are responding or just ignoring my commands completely. Then I’ll grab my phone and ask Siri to do it and it works perfectly. I normally have my iPhone on me, so it’s not a huge issue personally, but for my kids, in-laws, babysitters, etc...it would be nice to have a “Siri Dot” in those rooms to replace the echos. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,628member
    mobird said:

    ;) 
    AppleInsider said:

    A bigger feature could be commanding Siri on one device to perform actions on another. One example given is to "Play Taylor Swift on my HomePod," which could be said on an Apple Watch or iPhone remotely and interpreted to control the user's smart speaker at home.
    I can assure you that this request will never be made on my Apple Watch or on my iPhone nor in my home on my HomePods... ;)
    Exactly.   Why would someone want to play music on a device in a location that they're not at (unless it's to scare the dog or troll their kids)?   Besides, if the HomePod is within hearing range, why wouldn't one ask it to play the music.   I really hope that this is not a "benefit" that Apple promotes because they'll look like idiots.   

    And Siri needs some basic functionality working better first.  If I'm in my car and say "pizza", it shows me pizza places in California when I'm in New York.  It know where I am, so that's completely ridiculous.   And half the time, if I ask it to phone someone, it picks the wrong person from my address book.   I rarely even bother with it anymore.  But I will say that when I tested a HomePod (not that I would ever buy one, because I'm a full-fledged stereo system kind of guy), it was very good at recognizing song titles and band names.  




  • Reply 28 of 33
    /div>
    Built-in machine translation could enable language interpreting capabilities within Siri, without needing a cellular or other network connection at all, a feature that could be handy for travelers.
    I will be rude now

    Who the hell care about travelers who go once a year on holiday? Or American users that usually utilize English somehow. But I would use it daily in communication with people all around the world.

    iOS is so little helpful in multilingual environment. I occationally use up to six language keyboarders and it is mess.

    rcfa
  • Reply 29 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,679member
    frantisek said:
    /div>
    Built-in machine translation could enable language interpreting capabilities within Siri, without needing a cellular or other network connection at all, a feature that could be handy for travelers.
    I will be rude now

    Who the hell care about travelers who go once a year on holiday? Or American users that usually utilize English somehow. But I would use it daily in communication with people all around the world.

    iOS is so little helpful in multilingual environment. I occationally use up to six language keyboarders and it is mess.

    Switching keyboard languages is easy, but for some reason Apple decided to make switching languages with Siri a PITA. Siri has no ability to recognize which language something is written in - that’s not surprising and I don’t really expect that, but when I get a message in another language it would be really helpful to be able to say ‘Siri, read that last message in spanish’ or ‘Siri - switch to French’
  • Reply 30 of 33
    tshapitshapi Posts: 355member
    zoetmb said:
    mobird said:

    ;) 
    AppleInsider said:

    A bigger feature could be commanding Siri on one device to perform actions on another. One example given is to "Play Taylor Swift on my HomePod," which could be said on an Apple Watch or iPhone remotely and interpreted to control the user's smart speaker at home.
    I can assure you that this request will never be made on my Apple Watch or on my iPhone nor in my home on my HomePods... ;)
    Exactly.   Why would someone want to play music on a device in a location that they're not at (unless it's to scare the dog or troll their kids)?   Besides, if the HomePod is within hearing range, why wouldn't one ask it to play the music.   I really hope that this is not a "benefit" that Apple promotes because they'll look like idiots.   

    And Siri needs some basic functionality working better first.  If I'm in my car and say "pizza", it shows me pizza places in California when I'm in New York.  It know where I am, so that's completely ridiculous.   And half the time, if I ask it to phone someone, it picks the wrong person from my address book.   I rarely even bother with it anymore.  But I will say that when I tested a HomePod (not that I would ever buy one, because I'm a full-fledged stereo system kind of guy), it was very good at recognizing song titles and band names.  




    Sounds like the Apple car will be coming in 2021 or the Apple VR glasses.  Siri commands: hey Siri, turn on my car and play Taylor Swift. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 31 of 33
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    • “An artificial being should not breach the human ethical and moral standards commonly held in its region of operation.”

      So Siri in a bigoted country act bigoted, too? In an oppressive regime, it partakes in oppression such as “not to breach the ethical standards commonly held in the region”?

      Apple should be VERY careful when they think they can change the fundamental laws of robotics: ethics are not relative, and pretending they are, is selling out ethics to increased revenue and profits, which itself is inherently unethical.

    gatorguy
  • Reply 32 of 33
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,191member
    mobird said:

    ;) 
    AppleInsider said:

    A bigger feature could be commanding Siri on one device to perform actions on another. One example given is to "Play Taylor Swift on my HomePod," which could be said on an Apple Watch or iPhone remotely and interpreted to control the user's smart speaker at home.
    I can assure you that this request will never be made on my Apple Watch or on my iPhone nor in my home on my HomePods... ;)
    Same here!
  • Reply 33 of 33
    MplsP said:
    frantisek said:
    /div>
    Built-in machine translation could enable language interpreting capabilities within Siri, without needing a cellular or other network connection at all, a feature that could be handy for travelers.
    I will be rude now

    Who the hell care about travelers who go once a year on holiday? Or American users that usually utilize English somehow. But I would use it daily in communication with people all around the world.

    iOS is so little helpful in multilingual environment. I occationally use up to six language keyboarders and it is mess.

    Switching keyboard languages is easy, but for some reason Apple decided to make switching languages with Siri a PITA. Siri has no ability to recognize which language something is written in - that’s not surprising and I don’t really expect that, but when I get a message in another language it would be really helpful to be able to say ‘Siri, read that last message in spanish’ or ‘Siri - switch to French’

    Switching keyboards is easy until you install third party keyboard that screw keyboard menu up. But that is not the point. Point is that only few apps remember what language you were using in particular conversation so you constantly wrote on wrong keyboard or have to switch all the time. And I see that as Apple fault in not well set guidelines for developers and requiring them to pass to AppStore.

    And I do not think that is is that difficult to recognize language, especially for AI so no idea why Siri does not. I would also want use Siri in English to create message and then tell her to launch dictating in my language. To much work for AI i guess.
Sign In or Register to comment.