Sleep tracking may be coming to Apple Watch soon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    flyingdp said:
    Ok. Cool. But when do you charge your watch? I wear it all day and charge overnight.
    I charge my Watch from 9 pm to 10:30 pm. 100% then go to bed. I wake up somewhere at 93%. Thats it. Why to charge overnight?
    My watch is out of battery by like 11pm.
    How old is it and have you replaced the battery? AW4 gets 2 days for me. 
    Series 0...it's never lasted more than 1 day. 
    Hate to say it but you need a new watch. Original watch was slow and had horrible battery out of the box. It was a traditional first green product. Full of promise and has lots of compromises. 
    muthuk_vanalingamrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 61
    entropys said:
    entropys said:
    Many wearers already use their Apple Watches to wake them up with silent haptic tapping instead of an alarm. With this new feature, the Watch will recognize when they're awake and active, and it will automatically cancel that alarm. 

What if a fall back to to sleep Again?
    What happens if you turn off (not snooze) an alarm and then fall asleep again? 

Apple isnt able to solve every single instance of anything undesired happening to someone somewhere sometime. 
    I tips my lid at your wise and insightful, well, insight.
    It’was a joke.  
    In reality Apple would probably make snooze automatic, so you no longer need a snooze button.

Or more Apple-y, if it detects you stirred awake for a moment after the silent alarm went off, then stopped moving again, it could automatically resume (or default to a 9 min snooze perhaps, ideally based on a user setting), endlessly until you finally stand up and get moving.  I would be into that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 61
    netrox said:
    I am one of the wearers to bed because I need it for sleep monitoring and also for alarm. I use AutoSleep which monitors my sleep movement and my heart rate. It's amazing. I recharge mine while I shower.
    Same here.  The app is pretty good.  The only probably is that the Milano strap tends to catch in my beard if I haven't shaved for a day or so.  
    I'm planning on getting the new Apple Watch and will use my current watch for night time only with one of the basic neoprene straps.  That should solve the annoying beard issue plus ensure that either watch has plenty of time to get charged.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Like the others, I already use 3rd party sleep tracking solution AutoSleep. I think it's inaccurate though because I don't think it can tell if i'm really sleeping or just still on the bed trying to fall into sleep, but it's good enough for me.

Since we are also on the topic of wearing watch during sleep, I also love how the alarm in my iPhone is forwarded to my watch, and I can stop it immediately before it annoys my wife more than it should.

In terms of battery, I charge my watch when I go to shower in the morning, and when I get home from gym after work. I think 1 hour of charging in the morning should be enough already.

I have S4 44mm.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Rayz2016 said:
    sirozha said:
    Now I see what Apple engineers have been doing for several years. They have been testing sleep tracking at work. 
    Comedy’s harder than you thought, isn’t it. 
    I thought it was funny, unlike your sourness.
    muthuk_vanalingamrazorpit
  • Reply 46 of 61
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Before everyone freaks out, what follows is an honest question. I’m not trolling anyone, and I’m not trying to sound sarcastic. But...
    Why is everybody so obsessed with sleep tracking? It just seems like another friggin thing to have to deal with. I mean, how EXACTLY does it make anyone’s life better? I can understand the CPAP guy getting legitimate use of the data, but what incites does it actually provide to improve everybody else’s sleep? I’ve tried several in the past, both on my watch and my iPhone, and have found them to be mostly pointless. Also, I’ve almost pulled the trigger 3 or 4 times on the Beddit, but those previous experiences caused me to hesitate. Now I’m glad I did.

So, being completely upfront about my ignorance on this subject, can someone tell me what the big deal is?
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 61
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Japhey said:
    Why is everybody so obsessed with sleep tracking? 

So, being completely upfront about my ignorance on this subject, can someone tell me what the big deal is?
    I'm sort of in the same boat. Like the ECG function, current sleep trackers can be helpful but fall short of an actual sleep study.

I used Sleep++ for awhile but like others, I'm just not quite sure what to make of the data, or how to use it to get a better night's sleep.

All these sleep apps are interesting, but without any real insight, I'm a member of the OK, Now What club.

As to using the Watch with sleep apps, I wear it 22/7 or so. I put it on the charger during shower, morning routine, and breakfast. Then again during evening routine at bed time, less than two hours daily. This goes for my S0 and S2 watches. This keeps their batteries from dropping below half-way 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Zeo is still the absolute best consumer sleep tracker i have ever used.

They were just a number of years too early to be bought up & built into a multi function device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 61
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    flyingdp said:
    Ok. Cool. But when do you charge your watch? I wear it all day and charge overnight.
    I charge my Watch from 9 pm to 10:30 pm. 100% then go to bed. I wake up somewhere at 93%. Thats it. Why to charge overnight?
    Kudos to you for making it with the Series 0 as long as you have. Mine is regulated to yard work/sports use. I couldn't imagine spending an entire day with it.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 61
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Japhey said:
    Before everyone freaks out, what follows is an honest question. I’m not trolling anyone, and I’m not trying to sound sarcastic. But...
    Why is everybody so obsessed with sleep tracking? It just seems like another friggin thing to have to deal with. I mean, how EXACTLY does it make anyone’s life better? I can understand the CPAP guy getting legitimate use of the data, but what incites does it actually provide to improve everybody else’s sleep? I’ve tried several in the past, both on my watch and my iPhone, and have found them to be mostly pointless. Also, I’ve almost pulled the trigger 3 or 4 times on the Beddit, but those previous experiences caused me to hesitate. Now I’m glad I did.

Good question. Hope you appreciate my answer. To be honest, it's a great way to figure out if you need a CPAP. Most people don't realize how bad their sleep is, or if they even have apnea.

Sleep is one of the most important things you can do for your body. I'd say even more important than "working out". Sure you need to get up and move around during the day, but you don't have to necessarily pump iron to be in good shape. Sleep not only helps your body repair itself (muscles), but it also helps your mind to clear itself and be ready for the new day. The importance of sleep is vastly underrated.
    StrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 61
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    flyingdp said:
    If you’ve never changed the battery it is very likely in need of service by now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Japhey said:

Sleep is more important than most (Americans anyway) give it. Stress, fatigue, workout recovery and adaptation, mental well being, all tied to sleep. After using AutoSleep and tracking my sleep habits I got a baseline of what I was getting (not enough) and made positive changes. I can absolutely feel the difference in my training when I don’t get adequate sleep. 

If you can measure it, you can improve it. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 61
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    anome said:
    JinTech said:
    flyingdp said:
    Same though considering it doesn't take long to get to a full charge, a half hour or so before sleep should be sufficient? I start wearing my watch around 9am and take it off usually before midnight and it still has half charge left.
    I'd have thought the ideal time was while you're in the shower. Sure, you might not take half an hour to shower, but with all the other ablutions that usually go along with it, you could get it charged enough to last until your next shower.

And if you don't shower at least once a day, eww...
    Considering I shower in the morning and I am on a strict time schedule, it's nice to know what time it is through out my morning hygiene routine. I don't have a clock in my bathroom, or means of knowing the time so for me it is easier just to wear my watch when I shower.

Personal preference though on when you charge it, but it really doesn't take long to get to a full charge, regardless of when you do it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 61

appleph said:
    Like the others, I already use 3rd party sleep tracking solution AutoSleep. I think it's inaccurate though because I don't think it can tell if i'm really sleeping or just still on the bed trying to fall into sleep, but it's good enough for me.
    AutoSleep uses motion and heart rate to establish sleep. I find it more or less accurate, it even picks up when I’ve fallen asleep into a nap. It has trim controls you can use to adjust the sensitivity. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 61

macgui said:
    Japhey said:
    Why is everybody so obsessed with sleep tracking? 

I'm sort of in the same boat. Like the ECG function, current sleep trackers can be helpful but fall short of an actual sleep study.

I used Sleep++ for awhile but like others, I'm just not quite sure what to make of the data, or how to use it to get a better night's sleep.

All these sleep apps are interesting, but without any real insight, I'm a member of the OK, Now What club.
    If you’re not closing out your sleep rings (AutoSleep), then you know it’s time to make changes. Darken your room, get a white noise machine, lower the temperature, separate blankets, etc etc. Lots of info available.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 61
    flyingdp said:
    The experimentation force is not strong with this one, Obi Won.
    *Obi-Wan
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Japhey said:

I'll pile on with the other answers, which already covered detecting sleep apnea (the tracker I used would record your snoring for example and graph out when that happened). There are other things to learn about your sleep patterns that can totally affect the optimal time to wake up. Most normal sleepers have roughly 90 minute cycles of light and deep sleep. The tracker I used (Sleeptracker 24/7, probably similar to Sleep++) could wake you up within a defined window that's optimum based on a) the time you'd like to get up and b) when you're in the lighter part of your sleep cycle, then gently wake you with an alarm such as birds chirping (or whatever) that gradually gets louder. The result is you wake more naturally at a time that ensures you'll be at your most rested. Getting jolted awake by a sudden, loud alarm during deep sleep is jarring and can seriously fuck up your day.

I've also bought an alarm clock/light by Phillips that has a "sunrise" function, ie the light gradually gets brighter over a 30min period before the alarm goes off (which can also be morning sounds/white noise/radio etc). I like the light function, I *fucking hate* the overall design of the hardware (button placements etc are infuriatingly terrible). 

I'm also reminded I should try to use the sleeptracking app's alarm again, it's been a long time. I haven't used the Watch for this, only my iPhone placed on the bed to detect movement (which I usually do anyway as I listen to a white noise app with sleep headphones). 

If you have abnormal schedules or a different circadian rhythm or apnea or a cat that wakes you up at all hours or anxiety or just general sleep problems, all this shit can be a life saver and seriously improve your life and livelihood. I, for one, welcome my new sleep tracking overlords. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Japhey said:

The Zeo was the absolute best - it monitored your sleep cycles via its forehead monitor, you set your wake up time, and it would wake you at the point you would be the most alert, within about a 45 minute window (if i remember correctly) 

Zeo worked really well, and for someone like myself who rarely feels like they get a "good night's sleep" it helped me quite a bit in waking up at a time that gave me the best start to my day.

Analysis also helped me understand that my deep sleep times were consistenly quite short until the 3rd, 4th and 5th cycles of the night.
    As someone who over a lifetime needed 8+ hours of sleep to feel rested, it gave me more understanding why.

My current Garmin watch monitors sleep, but basically just sleep time based on movement, times woken up (based on movement) and has a normal alarm clock. My Basis tried to do better in terms of targeted wake up (it had skin temperature & moisture sensors as well as heart rate & motion) and had a targeted alarm as well - it was in between, but wrist was definitely less obtrusive than forehead.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Arina14 said:
    codename 'Burrito'  :D :D :D who comes up with these things? 
    The Engineers must go to Taco Bell at lunch and talk shop...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 61
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    eriamjh said:
    Considering that I’m using my series zero for sleep tracking, saying that it’s “coming” to the series 4 is kind of silly.  
    I think the article makes pretty clear -- to everyone but you, apparently -- that it's referring to sleep tracking from Apple as a built-in feature of the next Apple Watch. I also use my old one for sleep tracking sometimes, but I'm awake enough to understand the difference between a third-party solution and a built-in solution.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra