Apple says Face ID is coming to more devices, but Touch ID continues

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Ahead of the official launch of iOS 13's improved Face ID, Apple has been promoting the security benefits of all its biometric systems and Greg Joswiak says that Touch ID isn't going away any time soon.

Face ID is here to stay, and so is the notch.
Face ID is here to stay, and so is the notch.

In an interview about biometric security, and the iPhone notch, Apple's vice president of Product Marketing, Greg Joswiak, has been promoting the company's Face ID and Touch ID. He says that Face ID will be coming to more Apple devices, but also that Touch ID will continue.

"Certainly, we'll continue to put [Face ID] on more devices but also Touch ID will continue to have a role," Joswiak told the UK's Daily Express. "It's a great technology on our iPad lineup and we don't see it going away anytime soon."

"Touch ID was the first mainstream biometric security system and customers loved it," he continues. "It changed the way that people secured their device, because at that time, even though it's hard to imagine, many didn't even have a passcode."

"But we wanted to improve biometric security even further with something more secure and convenient to use and that's why we came up with Face ID," he says. "We first shipped Face ID two years ago on the iPhone X and we thought it was even more natural than Touch ID with it unlocking your device with just a glance."

Asked about competitors and why, according to the Express, they have avoided face-scanning biometric security, Joswiak says it's down to expense.

"This is a pretty costly system," he says. "Our competitors think they can create something similar with a single camera and that's often what they want to do. Unfortunately, there's a reason why this is costly; there's a reason why it has all these components because security is night and day over someone trying to do this off a 2D image."

"It's good to take a step back and look at the technological beast of that tiny little notch area of your iPhone," he continues. "There's so much important and sophisticated technology inside. There's a speaker, a microphone, an ambient light sensor and a proximity sensor plus the all scanning components of the Face ID system."

He denied that Apple would be aping Samsung or others in adding a pop-up camera to allow face-scanning without a notch. "I would give people credit for trying new things," he said, "competition is what makes the world go round and makes us all better but that's not something we see coming anytime soon."

Joswiak concluded that Face ID is going to be 30% faster under iOS 13, which is to be officially launched alongside new iPhones on September 10.

Separately, Apple has again recently been rumored to be developing an in-display Touch ID for 2020's iPhone range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Darn need to wait one more year for TouchId to come back.   Seems like this wouldn’t be too difficult as several Android manufacturers have already done it.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 36
    k2kw said:
    Darn need to wait one more year for TouchId to come back.   Seems like this wouldn’t be too difficult as several Android manufacturers have already done it.
    For Apple it is question of getting enough components in desired quality. Something others usually do not need to solve that much.

But will be interesting to see FaceID speed on iPhone 11. New chip, maybe better FaceID HW and faster iOS....

edited September 2019 yojimbo007watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 36
    I have the iPhone X and will for the foreseeable future. Is the faster Face ID limited to the iPhone 11 or will there be a discernible improvement for the X series iPhones with the addition of iOS 13?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    mobird said:
    I have the iPhone X and will for the foreseeable future. Is the faster Face ID limited to the iPhone 11 or will there be a discernible improvement for the X series iPhones with the addition of iOS 13?

They wouldn’t announce an improvement that only applies to an unreleased device... So the 30% applies to all devices with Face ID.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    mjtomlin said:
    mobird said:

They wouldn’t announce an improvement that only applies to an unreleased device... So the 30% applies to all devices with Face ID.
    Just wanted to make sure I understood correctly. I never felt that Face ID was "slow" to begin with.
    coolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    I’m thinking... When Apple releases the T3 with a Neural Engine, will we start seeing Face ID come to Macs. Maybe even starting with this supposed new MacBook Pro?

Also think, In-display Touch ID will come to the Watch first.

As for the iPhone... in-display Touch ID will be used as a secondary security measure for when Face ID can’t work for whatever reason. OR they could also be used in tandem for extra security.

And of course the SE 2 will not have Face ID or a Home button, but will use in-display Touch ID... and will have slim top and bottom bezels to accommodate various sensors and camera. (Wishful thinking 😁)
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstangcornchipyojimbo007watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,923member
    I think Joswiak is exactly right on all of this. FaceID is awesome - accurate, fast, convenient and most of all, secure. There are only a few situations where Touch ID is better. I still don’t get all the complaining about the notch, either. As Joswiak said, there’s a ton of technology there, and Apple got it right. 

Face ID in a computer would be even better. They have more room in the bezel and it it would make password authentication quick, seamless and virtually effortless. 
    GeorgeBMaccoolfactorStrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    I would prefer touch id
    SpamSandwichwaverboy
  • Reply 9 of 36
    k2kw said:
    When did Joz day Touch ID was coming back to flagship iPhones?
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I would prefer touch id
    Have you used both?

I was a big fan of Touch ID and concerned about Face ID being less reliable or less convenient but it’s fast and very reliable.

Personally, I can’t ever imagine wanting Touch ID over Face ID but I appreciate some might (security purists, twins, cyborgs, clones etc)
    bonobobcornchipcoolfactorcapt. obviouslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 36
    I find Face ID to be hugely frustrating. Fails frequently when I am holding the phone down at the hip, or when sitting next to me on the table (heard rumors that "FaceID 2" will fix this latter problem)… I don't find it worth complaining about, but TouchID was at least a lot better for my personal use cases.
    baconstangchemengin1waverboy
  • Reply 12 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    MplsP said:
    I think Joswiak is exactly right on all of this. FaceID is awesome - accurate, fast, convenient and most of all, secure. There are only a few situations where Touch ID is better. I still don’t get all the complaining about the notch, either. As Joswiak said, there’s a ton of technology there, and Apple got it right. 

Face ID in a computer would be even better. They have more room in the bezel and it it would make password authentication quick, seamless and virtually effortless. 
    I had a PC running Windows with the Face ID equivalent and frankly it was very handy.  It is likely a better place for biometric ID than a cell phone.  The ultimate solution would be a multi sensor ID system that can ID the specific person talking to the computer and react accordingly.  That is use sound in combination with visual ID to ID a person seeking access.  

Such a system is likely a ways off but id settle for a FaceID solution on Macs.  It is just so handy to be able to sit down in front of the PC and to go to work without a logon session.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Statement like more Apple products will carry FaceID and TouchID continues, means future iPhones will embed both FaceID and TouchID.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    mobird said:
    I read that as being faster due to updates within iOS 13 so I’m assuming it’ll be available for the X. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    mjtomlin said:
    I’m thinking... When Apple releases the T3 with a Neural Engine, will we start seeing Face ID come to Macs. Maybe even starting with this supposed new MacBook Pro?

Also think, In-display Touch ID will come to the Watch first.

As for the iPhone... in-display Touch ID will be used as a secondary security measure for when Face ID can’t work for whatever reason. OR they could also be used in tandem for extra security.

And of course the SE 2 will not have Face ID or a Home button, but will use in-display Touch ID... and will have slim top and bottom bezels to accommodate various sensors and camera. (Wishful thinking 😁)
    All recent rumors point out that there will not be a T3 coming to macs, and the a series chip will start replacing it and the intel chips within the next year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I find Face ID to be hugely frustrating. Fails frequently when I am holding the phone down at the hip, or when sitting next to me on the table (heard rumors that "FaceID 2" will fix this latter problem)… I don't find it worth complaining about, but TouchID was at least a lot better for my personal use cases.

I thought those were improvements in iOS 13? I think they mentioned something about using more advanced models/algorithms so it can rectify those issues you mentioned.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Simple as this:

Touch ID is cheaper than Face ID.

End of story. 

Apple isn't going to abandon Touch ID when it can be used on numerous low end products.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    mjtomlin said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

I thought those were improvements in iOS 13? I think they mentioned something about using more advanced models/algorithms so it can rectify those issues you mentioned.
    Dang, I think you might be right. I'm on the iOS 13 beta, and now that you mention it, FaceID "from the hip" is totally working now. 

From the table is still useless, though.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    When did Joz day Touch ID was coming back to flagship iPhones?
    I’ve yet to see any proof that long term use of FaceID is medically safe so am holding off.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    wood1208 said:
    Statement like more Apple products will carry FaceID and TouchID continues, means future iPhones will embed both FaceID and TouchID.
    Except that isn't what he said. The sentence continued that he felt Touch ID was good on their iPad line. So the only conclusion for iPhones we can make is -- maybe it will, maybe it won't. 
    watto_cobra