How to watch today's new iPhone event live

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Wherever you are, and whatever devices you've got with you, you'll be able to watch Apple unveil the new 2019 iPhones live. Here's how.

For the first time, Apple is live-streaming its event on its YouTube channel
For the first time, Apple is live-streaming its event on its YouTube channel

You think you've heard all about what the new 2019 iPhone range, but it's not until Tim Cook stands up there and starts showing us that we can really know what we're getting. From the iPhones to perhaps a ceramic Apple Watch and maybe even a new ">Apple TV, it will all be revealed at the September 10 event.

When Tim Cook steps out onto the stage at 10:00am Pacific, 13:00 Eastern, you can watch it live.

YouTube

Apple has long posted the full video of its keynotes to the company's YouTube channel, but for the first time it's going to stream an event live, too.

To watch on YouTube, on any device, just visit Apple's channel there.

Up until a few minutes before the keynote begins, you'll see just a placeholder image at the top of the channel. That will be replaced by the live stream and then afterwards, you'll be able to catch up on anything you missed, too.

Official Apple site

You'll be able to do much the same if you visit Apple's official events page in Safari, too.

That will work on both iOS and Macs or Windows, too, so it's perhaps the best place to watch from.

Apple's official site will stream the event, too.
Apple's official site will stream the event, too.

Note that Apple has sometimes specified you should use Safari to watch its live streams, but it hasn't yet done so for this one. You can assume that Safari will be be the best option on your Mac, but the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome should work too.

Previously, Apple has said that for Windows PCs, it optimizes the stream to work best with Microsoft Edge.

TV

We still wish there were a web browser for Apple TV, but even if we had one, we wouldn't be using it to watch this. That's because there is an official Apple Events app for Apple TV, available in the Apple TV App Store, and it's just been updated for this launch.

If there were a web browser for Apple TV, we could presumably just tell you to click here to get that app. As it is, find the App Store on your Apple TV and search from there.

Alternatively, at the Apple TV home screen, hold the microphone button down on your Siri Remote and say "search the App Store for Apple Events."

Twitter

Possibly the quickest way to get to the live stream is to respond to Apple's tweet about it on Twitter.

It's coming soon. Tap below to get reminders and news around the #AppleEvent. Watch it live on September 10 at 10 a.m. PDT on https://t.co/yLa2e4Xr2R pic.twitter.com/Pq6OFGH88p

-- Apple (@Apple)

Watching on the Watch

If you solely have an Apple Watch with you at the time of the event, you're out of luck for actually watching it -- but you can still keep up with the news.

Get the AppleInsider iOS app and you can have it send notifications to your Apple Watch as the event unfolds.

AppleInsider will be at Apple's Steve Jobs Theater for Tuesday's "By Innovation Only" event. Follow along with us here, on Twitter, on YouTube, and on Instagram to get all the details of the new iPhone and more!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I know this is a trivial thing but would it hurt to post all the time for all the timezones in the US? i mean you post if for two, why not the rest?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member

Wgkrueger said:
    I know this is a trivial thing but would it hurt to post all the time for all the timezones in the US? i mean you post if for two, why not the rest?

It's an equally trivial thing to 'caclulate' what US time zone you're in if you know one of the two traditionally posted times zones. 

There are what - 9 time zones in the US and 4 on CONUS. And since it's DST, what about HI and AZ? It's much more trivial for you to strain your little grey cells than it is for AI to address all the time zones, every time there's some Event.

fastasleeprazorpitmuthuk_vanalingamspace2001felix01jony0
  • Reply 3 of 13
    BlackHipsterBlackHipster Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    Wgkrueger said:
    Dude! It is Pacific Time. So do the math!!
    razorpitspace2001felix01mike1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Wgkrueger said:
    I appreciate what you're saying, but I don't think it's going to happen. AppleInsider is (primarily) a US east coast-based publication, and we generally list local times for any given event, and US east coast time.
    edited September 2019 razorpitfelix01watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    macgui said:

Wgkrueger said:

It's an equally trivial thing to 'caclulate' what US time zone you're in if you know one of the two traditionally posted times zones. 

There are what - 9 time zones in the US and 4 on CONUS. And since it's DST, what about HI and AZ? It's much more trivial for you to strain your little grey cells than it is for AI to address all the time zones, every time there's some Event.

It is also trivial to use some simple javascript to post time that converts to the viewer's local time, but hey why be a good developer when users can strain their little grey cells?
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Wgkrueger said:
    Ask Siri!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    macgui said:

Wgkrueger said:

It is also trivial to use some simple javascript to post time that converts to the viewer's local time, but hey why be a good developer when users can strain their little grey cells?
    AI was hiring. Are you a good fit for the team?

If you get hired please include the valuation difference between Apple and Microsoft's stock. I don't think we should have to figure that out on our own. And how about adding some unicorns and rainbows? I want to see those as well without having to figure out how to find them in Google.

• Reply 8 of 13
    I miss when AppleInsider would do their live blog. I checked back here again this time to see if it's back, but I guess I'm going to another site again. :(
    edited September 2019 razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    It’s also playing in the TV app, on iOS devices and Apple TV.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jabohn said:
    I miss when AppleInsider would do their live blog. I checked back here again this time to see if it's back, but I guess I'm going to another site again. :(
    I use to watch Mac Break Weekly but they can't be quiet for more than 2 seconds without the snark. Practically after every damn sentence on stage (unless it's from a non-male). 9 to 5 started shadow banning commenters they didn't like so the heck with them. Who do you go to?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    razorpit said:
    jabohn said:
    I use to watch Mac Break Weekly but they can't be quiet for more than 2 seconds without the snark. Practically after every damn sentence on stage (unless it's from a non-male). 9 to 5 started shadow banning commenters they didn't like so the heck with them. Who do you go to?
    Our lunch got eaten by a combination of Apple making it so easy to stream (doubly this year with the Youtube version) and much larger publications covering the same exact material. We do have Dan out at the event to report, get hands on, and capture photos and videos. We will just be making lots of posts = P

If you aren't able to do video because you're at work or something and you need that real-ish-time feed, you should check out our twitter account. 

edited September 2019 watto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Wgkrueger said:
    Safari and other web browsers should have the option to automatically convert text strings that display a time in another time zone into your own local time zone. But that would be innovative and we wouldn't expect Apple or Microsoft to do that. It should convert strings like "September 10, 10 a.m. PDT" to ">TODAY, Local Time 1 PM (43 minutes from now)<". Perhaps this could be done with a browser extension.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    jSnively said:
    razorpit said:
    jabohn said:
    Our lunch got eaten by a combination of Apple making it so easy to stream (doubly this year with the Youtube version) and much larger publications covering the same exact material. We do have Dan out at the event to report, get hands on, and capture photos and videos. We will just be making lots of posts = P

If you aren't able to do video because you're at work or something and you need that real-ish-time feed, you should check out our twitter account. 

Makes sense. Have fun...