What to expect at Apple's new iPhone 11 event today - and what not to

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    I'm not buying a new iPhone, nor a new Apple Watch. In fact, I'm not really in the market for anything on this list. 

For now.
    Thanks for letting us know, skipper! Anything else you’re not in the market for we should know about? How are you on cleaning supplies?
    Ok for now, but will keep you updated. These events tend to roll stuff out I didn’t know existed and then can’t live without. 

I did visit the new Apple Store in Seattle to get my Xr, and I gotta say the place was fulla stuff I wasn’t in the market for...until I saw all the shiny bits. Pro tip: never go to the weed shop before you go to the Apple Store with credit card (Apple Card!) in hand. Dude.
    LOL. I can see what you mean.
  • Reply 42 of 86

Soli said:
    iPhone Pro sounds so stupid for a casual mass consumer product. Pro makes sense for Macs and work/media creation devices. It's what makes the iPad so beautiful. It's casual AND a workhorse for industrial/media applications.

All I care about is the date since rumors ruin the surprise.

Also PLEASE a new Apple TV with A12x to welcome Apple Arcade.
    1) Macs are mass produced consumer devices.

2) Casual is a ridiculously limited view of what a smartphone can do and what it's used for.

3) I couldn't give a shit what a product is called so long as it has the features I want and need at a price point I find agreeable. They can call it the iPhone Pro Mate S10 Galaxy poop:emoji for all I care.
    You missed the point. A car is also mass produced and can be "casual". I can buy a race car and use it to buy groceries and give grandma a ride to the clinic but that's not the point.

1,2,3) You think I didn't think of these arguments beforehand? I did. iPhone "Pro" is still a stupid name for a mass-produced casual device.

Macs and iPads are a whole different story. I can use my Mac as a Facebook machine OR I can use my Mac to edit movies for Disney.
    Can't do both with iPhone...... nor would I want to.

Now in 20 years iPhones may be powerful enough to edit Disney movies but it's still an iPhone and it's way too soon to call an iPhone "pro". Sounds stupid.
    So, you’re claiming you can edit a movie for Disney on an iPad Pro? Really?

WHERE did I say this?

Can you quote me?

We have seen Disney animators use the iPad for character development and animation.
    You said the name of iPhone Pro was not good because you can't produce works on a "pro" iPhone the way you can on your Mac ("I can use my Mac to edit movies for Disney"), so presumably it's OK to use the "pro" designator on Macs. Yet... iPads also have the "pro" designator for the higher-spec'd model, and you can't edit movies for Disney on an iPad. So why is it OK for iPads to have the "pro" designator for a higher-spec'd model, and not for phones?

It's completely arbitrary is the point. "Pro" only means higher-spec'd model, it does not mean "you can make professional-level creative projects on this".
    tenthousandthingspscooter63muthuk_vanalingamfastasleepGG1boltsfan17
  • Reply 43 of 86

DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    iPhone Pro sounds so stupid for a casual mass consumer product. Pro makes sense for Macs and work/media creation devices. It's what makes the iPad so beautiful. It's casual AND a workhorse for industrial/media applications.

2) Casual is a ridiculously limited view of what a smartphone can do and what it's used for.

3) I couldn't give a shit what a product is called so long as it has the features I want and need at a price point I find agreeable. They can call it the iPhone Pro Mate S10 Galaxy poop:emoji for all I care.
    That's the problem.

Do you really think you can walk into a movie or game studio and see everyone developing on their iPhones? Of course not.
    No more than you can walk into a movie or game studio and see everyone editing or developing on their iPad Pros. But the use of the "pro" designator is still valid for iPad Pros,  because it's a higher-end model.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 44 of 86
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    New iMacs were just released in March. Two in the same year seems unlikely. 
    Well, I own a “Late 2013” 27” iMac 14,2 so there’s still hope.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Don’t the labels still use Early-, Mid-, or Late-, even if they were the only new Macs released that year?
  • Reply 46 of 86
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    zzzzz..... can't wait til tomorrow. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 47 of 86
    I'm hoping for an Apple TV that has the USB-C or some other way to revive it.  The 4K one I bought at the end of 2017 died, and it can tell me to go to a web page, but not how to revive it.  The rest of the Internet wasn't much help, but when calling Apple Support, they did say that they'd repair it for $169.

I laughed at them, and asked how long the warranty was on that $169 repair.
    "90 Days"
    hmmm... so I can get a 90 Day Apple TV 4K for $169, or for $179 around the web, get one with a one year warranty... what to do...

So I decided to bring the Apple TV 3 downstairs, and use that, and not throw good money after bad on the 4K one.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    lkrupp said:
    There was only one 2013 27-inch iMac model, regardless of "late"
  • Reply 49 of 86
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I'm hoping for an Apple TV that has the USB-C or some other way to revive it.  The 4K one I bought at the end of 2017 died, and it can tell me to go to a web page, but not how to revive it.  The rest of the Internet wasn't much help, but when calling Apple Support, they did say that they'd repair it for $169.

I laughed at them, and asked how long the warranty was on that $169 repair.
    "90 Days"
    hmmm... so I can get a 90 Day Apple TV 4K for $169, or for $179 around the web, get one with a one year warranty... what to do...

So I decided to bring the Apple TV 3 downstairs, and use that, and not throw good money after bad on the 4K one.
    I had a similar issue - the ATV3 I bought on launch failed a few weeks in. Took it back to the Apple Store, and was handed a new one. When the AppleTV+ stuff becomes clearer (pricing, content) I might consider an ATV4k, but it really is a long shot. YMMV. 
  • Reply 50 of 86
    I’ll be surprised if the Tags aren’t at least announced at the event, even if the hardware isn’t immediately available, given what we know about Tag support in the new iOS release. The only reason I can see for them not to do it is if they don’t expect it to be ready for another year, which seems unlikely. 
  • Reply 51 of 86
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    You should check out what Renee Ritchie (imore.com) has to say about the Pro naming rumor and why Apple might be doing it. What he says makes a lot of sense. It is an article/video titled "What everyone is getting wrong about the iPhone 11 Pro"
    I just watched that video. Thanks! It's amazing how much information and cogent thought René can provide when not interrupted by or correcting lippy Leo Laporte. I enjoy MacBreak Weekly but Leo just won't shut up. There isn't a TWiT podcast that can't be improved by removing Leo. /rant

That was a great video, and I agree – nuance matters. I'm still not crazy about calling a phone 'Pro', but it's a little more palatable now.

This Event will be the iPhone show, co-starring the Watch, as you can't have it without the phone. No Mac, no iPads. Though I'd like to see a mention of the Activity app available in an iPad, and synced to the phone via iCloud. You'd still need the phone for the Watch, but some of us could read the app much better. I've sent that in to Apple Feed Back a few times, but have no real hope of seeing it happen, since we have iPhone Slabs®. 

I believe we'll see a replacement for the SE but not a successor (SE 2). Nuance matters.

What I want - same form factor, same size. Bigger screen, OLED, updated RAM, CPU, GPU, as is practical for the form factor. TID 2. Taptic engine for 3D Touch or its successor would be nice, but under my 'requirement' for same form factor, it won't happen. < $750, no SIM. This phone won't happen.

What I'd settle for - same form factor same size. Slightly better screen with rounded corners to update the look if not the size. We'll lose 27 pixels per corner. So what. I can live with that. Typical incremental performance improvements, second string CPU and co-processor. < $800 No SIM. This phone won't happen.

What we'll get - almost none of that. It won't be the same form factor, and it will be bigger. Slightly bigger but un-improved screen and a not full screen, maybe with rounded corners, maybe not. Incremental performance improvements. It will be more iPhone 7s/8s, and no SE. <$900 This phone will happen.

Looks I'll have my SE for five years, unless iOS is so compelling, it forces me to by a Slab®. Nuance matters.

edited September 2019
  • Reply 52 of 86
    spice-boy said:
    zzzzz..... can't wait til tomorrow. 
    Curious that you felt stating your disinterest would be of interest to anyone.
    edited September 2019 macguianantksundaramGG1fastasleep
  • Reply 53 of 86
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    As far as the bug-eyed camera goes, I'm not crazy about the looks but it is what it is. I would have liked apple to make its bezel the same color as the camera body, but I guess that's Apple way of 'owning' their design choice, making the iPhone 11/Pro distinctive among phones.

At least until somebody runs the phone through their photo copier to make their own clone.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:

That's the problem.
    A "problem"?! For whom?
  • Reply 55 of 86
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Looking forward,very excited about all known and unknown products announcement on September 10. I like to see Macbook Air/Pro updates with WiFi 6 and USB4.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 56 of 86
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Damm I was so pumped for this I thought it was today!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 57 of 86
    All future Apple products need to have the Apple Tag functionality built into them. Starting with AirPods, but including laptops, watches, desktops, tablets, monitors and cars. Oh, and people.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cornchip said:
    Damm I was so pumped for this I thought it was today!
    LOL Me, too! I was annoyed by having such a busy morning that I wouldn't be able to catch the event live, only to then get annoyed that I now have to wait a day longer than expected to see what goodies fall from the Apple tree.
    edited September 2019 cornchipmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 59 of 86
    Japhey said:
    And how are the ceramic Apple Watches considered “beloved”? In all these years, I’ve seen maybe 2 people sporting them. Other than the bloggers and the press, exactly who are they “beloved” by?
    Well probably “beloved” is too strong but I was disappointed when the Series 4 didn’t have an ceramic edition version. I previously had a stainless steel Apple watch and it turns out that I’m somewhat allergic to the metal case. After a few months of wearing it daily and most nights, my wrist swelled up. I bought a Series 3 space gray ceramic edition and the problem never came back.

I was worried that I would have a similar problem with the Series 4 stainless steel but because the ceramic back is bigger and covers most of the back of the watch, I haven’t had the same problem. So as long as they keep the back of the Series 5 the same as the 4, I will have to consider if I want to spend the extra money on a ceramic case or not. So not beloved but the Series 3 Edition was a very nice case and I’ll consider buying one again.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    “All of this presumes that Apple only intends to reveal updates to existing products”.

“If we sound like we think little is likely to be shown at the September event, it's because we are”.

I see more iteration than innovation.
    edited September 2019