Apple says Face ID is coming to more devices, but Touch ID continues

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    Darn need to wait one more year for TouchId to come back.   Seems like this wouldn’t be too difficult as several Android manufacturers have already done it.
    When did Joz day Touch ID was coming back to flagship iPhones?
    I’ve yet to see any proof that long term use of FaceID is medically safe so am holding off.
    Say whaaaaa! You're actually promoting a conspiracy theory that Face ID is unsafe for your health? Riiiiight. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member

k2kw said:
    I’ve yet to see any proof that long term use of FaceID is medically safe so am holding off.
    Say whaaaaa! You're actually promoting a conspiracy theory that Face ID is unsafe for your health? Riiiiight. 
    That's too funny. You get more IR from most room lighting (well, maybe not if someone has gone all CFL or LED) not to mention THE SUN.

Maybe k2 never leaves the house without slathering on SPF70. Still, that post is ridiculous on it's face. 

fastasleepMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I do like TID, but have only used it on the 5s and SE, so no TID 2 yet. I haven't tried FID yet so have no opinion, other than my phone spends a fair amount of time lying on a table or desk, or in a car dock. So a phone with both would be fine by me, especially as I'd choose the 'eyes open' option for FID.

But I don't see FID coming to an SE 2, should there be an actual SE 2 and not a replacement. (Nuance matters.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    I agree with most of what he says... but being stubborn about the notch is not wise.. Its intrusive and takes away from the visual experience.... (all one has to do to realize this is look at the competitions screen without a notch)
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Whatever the reason is, hubris,ignorance,greed,complacency. For Apple not making a full featured iPhone without a notch will amount to Apple’s continued decline. I will never buy a notched and botched iPhone. Until Apple addresses this, I will stick with my current iPhone. For those who fanatically defend Apple, to almost no fault, here is a simple exercise. Go to an electronics store. Look at the other phones, full screens, wrapped edge to edge, no notch, no buttons, just all screen. These phones look and feel amazing and super futuristic. If you still can’t admit even that, try this. Picture iOS on those phones. Now tell me what you think. If you are having a true introspective moment, I think you will agree. 
  • Reply 26 of 36
    I agree with most of what he says... but being stubborn about the notch is not wise.. Its intrusive and takes away from the visual experience.... (all one has to do to realize this is look at the competitions screen without a notch)
    digitol said:
    Whatever the reason is, hubris,ignorance,greed,complacency. For Apple not making a full featured iPhone without a notch will amount to Apple’s continued decline. I will never buy a notched and botched iPhone. Until Apple addresses this, I will stick with my current iPhone. For those who fanatically defend Apple, to almost no fault, here is a simple exercise. Go to an electronics store. Look at the other phones, full screens, wrapped edge to edge, no notch, no buttons, just all screen. These phones look and feel amazing and super futuristic. If you still can’t admit even that, try this. Picture iOS on those phones. Now tell me what you think. If you are having a true introspective moment, I think you will agree. 
    Do any of those full screen displays integrate anything similar to the Face ID sensor array? No. He addresses this in the interview. Apple isn’t going to do a half assed 2D camera solution. 

“Apple’s continued decline” LOL 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 36
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    macgui said:

k2kw said:
    That's too funny. You get more IR from most room lighting (well, maybe not if someone has gone all CFL or LED) not to mention THE SUN.

Maybe k2 never leaves the house without slathering on SPF70. Still, that post is ridiculous on it's face. 

Forget thel lights in the room - think about the amount of IR you get standing in front of the stove? Or what about those overhead IR heaters they have on restaurant patios? Veritable cancer radiators, they are!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36
    uktechie said:
    I would prefer touch id
    Have you used both?

I was a big fan of Touch ID and concerned about Face ID being less reliable or less convenient but it’s fast and very reliable.

Personally, I can’t ever imagine wanting Touch ID over Face ID but I appreciate some might (security purists, twins, cyborgs, clones etc)
    Try driving in a car with the phone securely stowed in a position where you can't see the screen. I have mine in a little pocket below the centre console. I can reach it just fine when I'm driving (although I usually only touch it when I'm stopped). I use the home button to trigger Siri, and if the phone needs to be unlocked for a certain function then TouchID comes into play.

Now, I _could_ set the phone up to listen for "Hey, Siri" and maybe that would let me do 90% of what I currently do, but I doubt FaceID would authenticate me with this setup.

Check the road laws for your local jurisdiction. For me, having the phone in my hands (active or not) with the keys in the ignition (car moving or not, engine on or not) is a violation.

When I get a new phone (hopefully in a few months!) I suspect I will have to find a workaround. My car has a multiple camera system for what it calls "adaptive cruise control" that is sensitive to the placement of items on or near the dash, so I am limited in placing a mounting point. If FaceID will authenticate me from the side, that makes it easier. If I need to look at it front-on that might lead to some uncomfortable conversations with any police officer that observes my behaviour.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    macgui said:

k2kw said:

No. On your face where Thousands will probably be getting Skin Cancer in 20 years.   You just have to go back to theVerge's original Video review of the iPhoneX where they showed the IR beams hitting Patel's face to realize that this is more than just normal IR (radiation).   The lawyers will have a field day devouring Apple to pay for this.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    Darn need to wait one more year for TouchId to come back.   Seems like this wouldn’t be too difficult as several Android manufacturers have already done it.
    It's not a conspiracy.   It's a medical issue to be researched.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    uktechie said:
    I would prefer touch id
    Have you used both?

I was a big fan of Touch ID and concerned about Face ID being less reliable or less convenient but it’s fast and very reliable.

Personally, I can’t ever imagine wanting Touch ID over Face ID but I appreciate some might (security purists, twins, cyborgs, clones etc)
    Try driving in a car with the phone securely stowed in a position where you can't see the screen. I have mine in a little pocket below the centre console. I can reach it just fine when I'm driving (although I usually only touch it when I'm stopped). I use the home button to trigger Siri, and if the phone needs to be unlocked for a certain function then TouchID comes into play.

Now, I _could_ set the phone up to listen for "Hey, Siri" and maybe that would let me do 90% of what I currently do, but I doubt FaceID would authenticate me with this setup.

Check the road laws for your local jurisdiction. For me, having the phone in my hands (active or not) with the keys in the ignition (car moving or not, engine on or not) is a violation.

When I get a new phone (hopefully in a few months!) I suspect I will have to find a workaround. My car has a multiple camera system for what it calls "adaptive cruise control" that is sensitive to the placement of items on or near the dash, so I am limited in placing a mounting point. If FaceID will authenticate me from the side, that makes it easier. If I need to look at it front-on that might lead to some uncomfortable conversations with any police officer that observes my behaviour.
    you don't need Face ID or Touch ID for 'Hey, Siri.' If you can't do it with 'Hey, Siri' you shouldn't be doing it while driving. Period.

Beyond that, what you describe (pulling your phone out to use Touch ID) would be against the law for you regardless.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 36

k2kw said:
    macgui said:

k2kw said:

No. On your face where Thousands will probably be getting Skin Cancer in 20 years.   You just have to go back to theVerge's original Video review of the iPhoneX where they showed the IR beams hitting Patel's face to realize that this is more than just normal IR (radiation).   The lawyers will have a field day devouring Apple to pay for this.
    k2kw said:

k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    I looked and couldn't find anything from the Verge on FaceID and infrared radiation. but from what you describe, the Verge's medical information is ... how do I say this... WRONG!

Skin Cancer comes from ionizing radiation in the UV spectrum, not Infra Red. Do a bit of reading on electromagnetic radiation frequencies. There is no medical issue to be researched because the research has been done. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 36
    k2kw said:
    macgui said:

k2kw said:

k2kw said:

k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    Where is there any actual evidence that it's a "medical issue" at all? What does "more than just normal IR" mean? It's just infrared, which is everywhere, and absolutely does hit your face. You ever go outside? Cancer isn't caused by infrared, so a big ol' strike there as well. Maybe the basic science behind these things is something that should be researched (by you)?
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 36

uktechie said:
    I would prefer touch id
    Have you used both?

There's no way there isn't some place on your dash or windshield to install a mount. Being able to see the screen is infinitely more useful than having it out of view regardless. Why you wouldn't use Hey Siri is beyond me (why would you want to have to hold a button?), and for most things you don't need to authenticate. Aside from that, you can also just disable auto-lock on your screen so it doesn't do that. It's pretty simple. 
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 36
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I still prefer Touch ID on Apple Pay. Face ID is not that intuitive way for that cuz many POS I’ve been encountering were too far for my face.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    fallenjt said:
    I still prefer Touch ID on Apple Pay. Face ID is not that intuitive way for that cuz many POS I’ve been encountering were too far for my face.
    Face ID works at arm's length for me. How much further away do you need to be?
    watto_cobra