Dual Airport Cards 802.11b/CDMA!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Here is what Apple needs.. Built in support for some sort of Apple Wireless Combo card. Today from this article <a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1033-861808.html?tag=cd_mh"; target="_blank">http://news.com.com/2100-1033-861808.html?tag=cd_mh</a>; on Cnet.COM I read about a new dual mode cell modem that worked both as 802.11b and CDMA!

Imagine if Apple teamed up with some Cell company wanting to show off their 3G network! I miss ricochet and wish like hell I had a wireless high speed internet connection that would work pretty much in any major city area.. Apple could once again be the first into a new wireless market. They could maybe form some sort of proffit from people signing up for service contracts... If some one could come up with a 60k or faster wireless internet system that had the same kind of coverage that a cell phone had.. I would sign up! I would like to see an unlimted plan for somewhere around $100.00... Not to mention a real mac driver for a cell phone! I am tired of writing code to make my Nextel i85s work with my iBook 466... This is off subject but Motorola makes the CPU's in ALL of Apple's systems. Motorla also owns a big chunk of Nextel and builds 100% of the phones used on the Nextel / Iden network.. But yet they have ZERO support for macs...

Am I crazy?

Apple and Nokia?

Apple and Nextel?

Apple and Verizon?

Apple and Cingular?

Apple and Sprint PCS?

Who do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    CDMA is crap. well it's not actually, but I'm a proud GPRS user here in Toronto and I think a 801.11g/a/b card with bluetooth 1.1 and GPRS support would be great!!

11Mb/s at home, then 56Kb/sec (billed by the Kb) anywhere in a Canadian urban centre plus most US cities, and Europe and Asia... very sweet. Not to mention upgradable to EDGE at 144kb/sec and thne 3G at 384+ Kb/sec...

I could finally complain about Mhz anywhere!!

Bluetooth would just be the cherry on the cake.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: JasonPP ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    It could be any cell standard and would have to be whatever companies system that Apple teamed up with.. CDMA, TDMA, GSM, I don't care make it fast, realible and cost effective.. Then I would be a happy camper...

This is how clunky my wireless option is now..

Apple iBook 466

Motorla / Nextel i85s

Keyspan Serial to USB adapter

Motorla Data cable "Serial only one on market"

Plus for added fun I had to write my own modem driver for OS 9.. I can't even get it to work in OS X...

And I do all this for at best 19.2k... SLOW almost 1/3 of a 56k dial-up connection...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Instead of putting the cell phone in the PowerBook, it looks like Apple is going to support Bluetooth to talk to cell phones. That way you can use either CDMA or GSM.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I am cool with that as well.. It gives you the same thing with no more cables you have to carry!

I want mobile internet.. And I want it now!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    GSM