What to expect at Apple's new iPhone 11 event today - and what not to

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    hentaiboy said:
    “All of this presumes that Apple only intends to reveal updates to existing products”.

“If we sound like we think little is likely to be shown at the September event, it's because we are”.

I see more iteration than innovation.
    You haven’t seen anything, yet. 
    StrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 62 of 86
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    New iMacs were just released in March. Two in the same year seems unlikely. 
    Well, I own a “Late 2013” 27” iMac 14,2 so there’s still hope.
    Don’t the labels still use Early-, Mid-, or Late-, even if they were the only new Macs released that year?
    My iMac 14,2 was released in September of 2013 (according to MacTracker)  and I bought it soon after. That’s when the Intel Haswell processors were added. The iMac 17,1 was released in October of 2015 and was referred to as “Late 2015”. There were two iMac models released in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017 if you count the iMac Pro. Point is Apple can and does do what it wants to when it wants to.
  • Reply 63 of 86

hentaiboy said:
    “All of this presumes that Apple only intends to reveal updates to existing products”.

“If we sound like we think little is likely to be shown at the September event, it's because we are”.

Yeah, I love how tech wannabes are always arguing about innovation vs iteration and how they use the terms to spin their own ideas of which is which and who is doing what. In here it’s usually to trash Apple and make fun of Phil Schiller. Oh, and fire Tim Cook too while you’re at it.
    cornchipStrangeDayspscooter63tmay
  • Reply 64 of 86
    hentaiboy said:

Errnnnt! Another guy who doesn’t get Apple. Iteration is innovation. These things don’t fall off trees massively improved by themselves. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up:

...iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 65 of 86
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    New iMacs were just released in March. Two in the same year seems unlikely. 
    Well, I own a “Late 2013” 27” iMac 14,2 so there’s still hope.
    Don’t the labels still use Early-, Mid-, or Late-, even if they were the only new Macs released that year?
    My iMac 14,2 was released in September of 2013 (according to MacTracker)  and I bought it soon after. That’s when the Intel Haswell processors were added. The iMac 17,1 was released in October of 2015 and was referred to as “Late 2015”. There were two iMac models released in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017 if you count the iMac Pro. Point is Apple can and does do what it wants to when it wants to.
    Sure, and there always seems to be an October event with new Macs. Your response to StrangeDays sounded like you were saying there are two Mac releases per year of the same type.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 66 of 86
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

Yeah, I love how tech wannabes are always arguing about innovation vs iteration and how they use the terms to spin their own ideas of which is which and who is doing what. In here it’s usually to trash Apple and make fun of Phil Schiller. Oh, and fire Tim Cook too while you’re at it.
    hentaiboy said:

Errnnnt! Another guy who doesn’t get Apple. Iteration is innovation. These things don’t fall off trees massively improved by themselves. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up:

...iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations.
    Innovation to me means change and disruption. Like the first iPhone, the Tesla automobile, Uber.

I guess tomorrow will tell what it means to the Apple Marketing Team.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:

Innovation to me means change and disruption. Like the first iPhone, the Tesla automobile, Uber.

Would love for Apple to get ahead of their competition and make their mark NOW with the long-rumored “Apple Transit™“ vehicle (or whatever they end up calling it). Since Tesla is already selling their $35,000 Model 3 and VW just today announced their ID.3 electric vehicle, Apple’s opportunity for making a big splash is being diminished every day they delay.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    I thought the B389 codename might be a hexadecimal representation of one or more characters. The unicode symbol for B389 is 뎉 (Hangul syllable Det, according to https://unicode-table.com/en/search/?q=b389). If we treat it as two separate characters it is Superscript 3 followed by Latin capital Y (³Y).

Maybe this means something.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:

Would love for Apple to get ahead of their competition and make their mark NOW with the long-rumored “Apple Transit™“ vehicle (or whatever they end up calling it). Since Tesla is already selling their $35,000 Model 3 and VW just today announced their ID.3 electric vehicle, Apple’s opportunity for making a big splash is being diminished every day they delay.
    Maybe, we also heard that when Apple introduced a smartphone a decade after RiM and others had them and when they introduced a tablet when there were decades of tablets with "real" OSes on them.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 70 of 86
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    I'm not buying a new iPhone, nor a new Apple Watch. In fact, I'm not really in the market for anything on this list. 

For now.
    Thanks for letting us know, skipper! Anything else you’re not in the market for we should know about? How are you on cleaning supplies?
    Ok for now, but will keep you updated. These events tend to roll stuff out I didn’t know existed and then can’t live without. 

I did visit the new Apple Store in Seattle to get my Xr, and I gotta say the place was fulla stuff I wasn’t in the market for...until I saw all the shiny bits. Pro tip: never go to the weed shop before you go to the Apple Store with credit card (Apple Card!) in hand. Dude.
    What about Pot Palace? :P
  • Reply 71 of 86
    eightzero said:
    I'm not buying a new iPhone, nor a new Apple Watch. In fact, I'm not really in the market for anything on this list. 

For now.
    Thanks for letting us know, skipper! Anything else you’re not in the market for we should know about? How are you on cleaning supplies?
    Stranger, this is the exact kind of snarky uncalled for comment that got us in some back and forth. Freedom of speech blah blah blah... but really what have you got to gain by making fun of someone not rushing to buy Apple's latest stuff and sitting it out until something he or she actually wants or needs is released?
  • Reply 72 of 86
    hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:

Cool, then that means you have your own special version of what words mean. 

Since your own special version of “innovation” means only the first iPhone was innovative, can we assume you’ve never upgraded it? I mean, why would you, if each following iteration lacked in innovation...there’d never be a reason to. #1 got it 100% perfect! Everything after was just marketing. Right?
    edited September 2019 lkrupp
  • Reply 73 of 86

hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:

Gosh, if only the most successful company in history knew what they were doing. They need our help! Don’t they know they are squandering opportunity! Sheesh. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 74 of 86

spice-boy said:
    eightzero said:

For now.
    Stranger, this is the exact kind of snarky uncalled for comment that got us in some back and forth. Freedom of speech blah blah blah... but really what have you got to gain by making fun of someone not rushing to buy Apple's latest stuff and sitting it out until something he or she actually wants or needs is released?
    I couldn’t care less about people’s personal spending preferences. I do dislike low-value, meaningless posts tho.
    lkruppfastasleep
  • Reply 75 of 86
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member

hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:

Gosh, if only the most successful company in history knew what they were doing. They need our help! Don’t they know they are squandering opportunity! Sheesh. 
    Companies only 'know what they're doing' until they don't.

It seems you don't have that point very clear. Sony knew what is was doing until it didn't, and fell from grace. Ironically, Apple too. Kodak, RIM ...

In many areas of life, 'knowing what you are doing' is only part of the story and even then, sometimes a small part.

Sometimes success comes from accidental discoveries. Sometimes success comes from timing.
    muthuk_vanalingambigtds
  • Reply 76 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    avon b7 said:

hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:

It seems you don't have that point very clear. Sony knew what is was doing until it didn't, and fell from grace. Ironically, Apple too. Kodak, RIM ...

In many areas of life, 'knowing what you are doing' is only part of the story and even then, sometimes a small part.

Sometimes success comes from accidental discoveries. Sometimes success comes from timing.
    You should start like, a Hallmark, for distributing your wisdom.

Timing is perfect from this accidental discovery, and you could really cash in your success and buy a Mate 30.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 77 of 86
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:

Timing is perfect from this accidental discovery, and you could really cash in your success and buy a Mate 30.
    Where's the wisdom? These are facts Forged in Fire. Nothing out of the reach of anyone with a little common sense.

I could buy a Mate 30 Pro this month if I wanted too but I don't need one. A lot of the technology in it will quickly filter down the ranges, meaning that my next phone will have everything I need today plus a whole lot more.

We'll see if what gets announced this evening fits your upgrade cycle or not. You want tri-cameras. It looks like you'll get them. Or will you hold off and wait for the 5G iPhone that could appear in just twelve months (or less)?The same phone that is rumoured to finally change in design.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 78 of 86
    avon b7 said:

hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:

Another way of saying Apple’s existence is an accident. ROFLMAO
  • Reply 79 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:

Where's the wisdom? These are facts Forged in Fire. Nothing out of the reach of anyone with a little common sense.

I could buy a Mate 30 Pro this month if I wanted too but I don't need one. A lot of the technology in it will quickly filter down the ranges, meaning that my next phone will have everything I need today plus a whole lot more.

We'll see if what gets announced this evening fits your upgrade cycle or not. You want tri-cameras. It looks like you'll get them. Or will you hold off and wait for the 5G iPhone that could appear in just twelve months (or less)?The same phone that is rumoured to finally change in design.

"These are facts Forged by Fire"

Now that should go on a Hallmark card...
  • Reply 80 of 86
    My biggest hope for today is that there is so little to talk about that we get to see the 16" MacBook Pro instead of waiting another month or more.