New iPhone might not feature two-way wireless charging, will include 18W USB adapter, more...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2019
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo was one of the first to lay out expectations for Apple's next-generation iPhone lineup, saying the devices would include "bilateral," or two-way, wireless charging as a tentpole feature. He revised those claims on Monday, a day before the handsets are expected for unveiling.

Detailed in a research note, Kuo now believes the 2019 iPhone might not incorporate the wireless charging capability due to inadequate charging efficiency. Specifications were not shared, but the system "may not meet Apple's requirements," according to the note.

The TF International Securities analyst was first to predict integration of the wireless charging feature in February, a position he maintained in subsequent reports leading up to today's revision. According to previous notes, bilateral wireless charging would allow users to charge iPhone wirelessly via a coil array, then juice up other gadgets by laying them on the phone. A similar system is in use by Samsung in that company's Galaxy smartphone line.

Other "insiders" jumped on the bandwagon, going so far as to say the charging solution would support both AirPods and Apple's proprietary Apple Watch protocol. Bloomberg, for example, suggested the Apple logo on supporting iPhones has in 2019 moved to the center of the device, acting as a placement marker for accessories.

Putting another "iPhone 11" rumor to bed, Kuo notes the new iPhones will not support Apple Pencil input. Rumblings of stylus integration date back to October 2017, when reports claimed Apple engineers were working on a solution for the iPhone platform. Subsequent reports in mid-2018 assumed support would arrive alongside this year's refresh, while analysts echoed those claims in July.

Kuo goes on to reiterate previous predictions regarding tomorrow's iPhone announcement, saying the new devices will retain Lightning connector charging and data transfer in lieu of an upgrade to USB-C. OLED models expected to replace current iPhone XS and XS Max models will come with a USB-C 18W power adapter, meaning Apple is likely to include a USB-C-to-Lightning cable in the box. Apple's LCD model, set to succeed iPhone XR, rates the usual 5W USB-A adapter, Kuo says.

Further, the analyst doubles down on expectations of an unchanged form factor -- complete with identical TrueDepth "notch" size -- for 2019. Premium OLED variants will boast a triple-camera array, while all three iPhones will be equipped with Ultra Wide Band (UWB) technology for highly accurate indoor navigation and object tracking services. UWB is rumored to play a role in a so-called "Apple Tags" location tracking accessory that might see integration with iOS augmented reality assets.

Kuo believes shipments of the new iPhone models will decline 5 to 10% year-over-year to 65 million to 70 million units due to "lack of innovative selling points." Overall iPhone shipments for 2019 could hit 180 million units on the back of price cuts typically assigned to older models, the analyst says.

AppleInsider will be on the scene at Apple's special event on Tuesday. For up-to-the-minute news on the company's latest hardware and software announcements, follow us on Twitter, on YouTube and on Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    I'm guessing he'll update his predictions tomorrow night again. Then he's sure to be right. A rarity such as that is. 
    mike1lkruppMisterKitcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    A well known leather case manufacturer already has their website updated well before Tuesday's event.  Very surprised to see this, thought they and other case manufacturers would have an NDA maybe ?    They are showing iPhone 11,  iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max with some descriptions, no pictures yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    M68000 said:
    A well known leather case manufacturer already has their website updated well before Tuesday's event.  Very surprised to see this, thought they and other case manufacturers would have an NDA maybe ?    They are showing iPhone 11,  iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max with some descriptions, no pictures yet.
    I don’t believe Apple shares anything with any case manufacturers. It’s all just guesswork based on speculation and these same rumors. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    mike1 said:
    M68000 said:
    I don’t believe Apple shares anything with any case manufacturers. It’s all just guesswork based on speculation and these same rumors. 
    I wouldn't be surprised to find out they did, if fact thought I remembered reading Apple supplied empty shells to a few of them. New iPhone buyers will want to grab a case day one to protect it, not wait a few weeks until cases are ready. 
    muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Initially I had planned to upgrade my wife and Is iPhone pluses but I just don’t see the value in these things. Maybe next year. 
  • Reply 6 of 27
    If the rumors are correct, I’ll be waiting until the 2020 models arrive.
    netmage
  • Reply 7 of 27
    mike1 said:
    M68000 said:
    So how am I able to buy a case for the brand new phone on day one from several different manufacturers? It’s impossible to have them made and shipped and ready for sale in a week. 
    muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Kuo believes shipments of the new iPhone models will decline 5 to 10% year-over-year to 65 million to 70 million units due to "lack of innovative selling points."

But but but the invitation implicitly states “by innovation only”

mobirdrundhvidkestralyojimbo007razorpit
  • Reply 9 of 27
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    mike1 said:
    M68000 said:
    So how am I able to buy a case for the brand new phone on day one from several different manufacturers? It’s impossible to have them made and shipped and ready for sale in a week. 
    Not correct. It is in fact possible to manufacture cases hours after pulling a mold. Apple does not provide any manufacturer with specs before the phones are announced.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 27
    I don’t really understand why you’d want your phone to charge another device - my battery barely lasts for a day of use. It would only drain my phone’s battery faster.
    Seems a gimmick more than anything else.
    Now, if they’d considerably up the battery’s capabilities, then I’d understand.

I currently have an iPhone X which I think is good enough. A much better camera is a reason to upgrade for me, as well as gifting my phone to my wife who has an aging 6S.
    I don’t think I’ll really notice 5G anyway, until the infrastructure leverages this speed and my mobile provider compensated by offering much more data for the same amount of money. 

Time-of-flight sensor seems incredibly useful though; for video auto-focus with a larger sensor, for augmented reality purposes and mapping a 3D scene, which I bet will Apple use with some sort of “3D photo” format you can share with friends.

• Reply 11 of 27
    mike1 said:
    M68000 said:
    That doesn’t mean Apple seeds them with details. Gruber says the case companies look or pay for leaks and build molds for what seems likely. 
  • Reply 12 of 27
    qwwera said:
    Kuo believes shipments of the new iPhone models will decline 5 to 10% year-over-year to 65 million to 70 million units due to "lack of innovative selling points."

But but but the invitation implicitly states “by innovation only”

Don’t worry. Apparently Kuo like myself doesn’t understand the meaning of the word.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    I don’t really understand why you’d want your phone to charge another device - my battery barely lasts for a day of use. It would only drain my phone’s battery faster.

I currently have an iPhone X which I think is good enough. A much better camera is a reason to upgrade for me, as well as gifting my phone to my wife who has an aging 6S.
    I don’t think I’ll really notice 5G anyway, until the infrastructure leverages this speed and my mobile provider compensated by offering much more data for the same amount of money. 

Time-of-flight sensor seems incredibly useful though; for video auto-focus with a larger sensor, for augmented reality purposes and mapping a 3D scene, which I bet will Apple use with some sort of “3D photo” format you can share with friends.

What I would envision is AirPods charging wirelessly while you plugged in / charged your iPhone. Potentially one less cable to keep track of to charge the smaller devices such as Watch, AirPods, and Apple Pencil.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    dedgecko said:

What I would envision is AirPods charging wirelessly while you plugged in / charged your iPhone. Potentially one less cable to keep track of to charge the smaller devices such as Watch, AirPods, and Apple Pencil.
    That makes sense from a use-case perspective, but does it work like that - wirelessly? Don’t you have to physically hold the devices close together similarly to how you have to place a phone on the charging mat? 
  • Reply 15 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Good. I’d rather the iPhone didn’t have any wireless charging.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Ah, Kuo's annual feature retraction post!
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    Wireless reverse charging is a convenience feature for when no cable is available. Wired reverse charging is a far better option if you have a cable to hand although it can't be considered innovation as it's been on competing phones since at least 2017.

Including an 18W charger in the OLED models but not the entry level model would be an obscene move IMO. 5W should have been phased out many years ago. 

There is zero valid justification for not including a faster charger in the box across the three phones.

I hope they all get a charging boost.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Whether or not this feature is included, it certainly wasn't decided the night before the keynote. Not a week before it. Not a month before it, maybe a year out.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Timing of this information half day before the presentation is strange... When specs have been locked in for months ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    avon b7 said:
    Wireless reverse charging is a convenience feature for when no cable is available. Wired reverse charging is a far better option if you have a cable to hand although it can't be considered innovation as it's been on competing phones since at least 2017.

Including an 18W charger in the OLED models but not the entry level model would be an obscene move IMO. 5W should have been phased out many years ago. 

There is zero valid justification for not including a faster charger in the box across the three phones.

I hope they all get a charging boost.
    There is one reason, Apple has gotten cheap and is willing to sacrifice user experience for a buck or two. Literally the cost of a 20oz Coke.