Facebook warns users of iOS 13 location tracking permissions

Posted:
in iOS
Facebook on Monday outlined detailed how its app and corresponding service will be impacted by location tracking permissions, restrictions and accompanying tools built into iOS 13, saying that users might see unfamiliar warning notifications should they upgrade to Apple's next-generation operating system.

iOS 13

In a post to Facebook's official "Newsroom," titled "Understanding Updates to Your Device's Location Settings," company engineering director Paul McDonald explained the app's various location technologies in broad strokes.

Claiming "Facebook is better with location," McDonald says existing services enable functionality of popular features like check-ins, Find Wi-Fi and Nearby Friends, while keeping the user community "safe." Location tech also improves ad targeting and personalized alerts.

With new location tracking safeguards baked into iOS 13, as well as Google's recently released Android 10, users will be made more keenly aware of an app's reliance on active location data and information gleaned during background operations. In the case of iOS 13, that could lead to an abundance of notifications.

As noted by McDonald, iOS currently gives users the option to allow apps access to precise location information "Always," "While Using the App" or "Never." When iOS 13 sees release a new "allow once" option will be added to grant location services access on a one-time basis. When the new function is enabled, apps like Facebook will need user authorization each time it makes a request for a device's location information.

Apple's forthcoming iOS also generates reports detailing when an app uses location services in the background, how many times it accessed said data and where that information was requested, as represented on a map. Apple also requires developers to clearly denote how and why the information is used.

Facebook emphasizes its commitment to privacy, saying users are in control of how and when location data is shared by managing settings in the app's Location Services menu. It appears those restrictions come with a few caveats.

"We may still understand your location using things like check-ins, events and information about your internet connection," McDonald writes.

Facebook is already under intense scrutiny for its mishandling of user information, a situation that gets worse with what seems to be monthly exposes or reports revealing new privacy debacles. Amidst the negative press, it appears the social network is looking to get ahead of expected consumer blowback by making device owners aware of iOS 13's new tools prior to its introduction later this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Facebook may still “UNDERSTAND” your location...

Thank you Facebook for being so understanding. ❤️
    razorpitsdw2001dewmejbdragoncaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    I’ve said it before...

I have no trust at all for Facebook and Google.  I don’t think any company that views the customer as the product will ever have sufficient motivation to keep my personal data private.
    olsAndy.HardwakemonstrosityfrantisekMplsPrazorpitlkrupprob53jahblademac_dog
  • Reply 3 of 23
    outlined detailed? where's the editing?
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 4 of 23
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Hahahaha fuck you. 

I like how they explicitly say: "Even if you DISable our location tracking, we will still do everything we can figure out where you are by any means possible." 

frantisekCarnageboxcatcherrazorpitsdw2001mac_dogjahbladedavgregjbdragoncaladanian
  • Reply 5 of 23
    "We may still understand your location using things like check-ins, events and information about your internet connection," McDonald writes.
    Doesn't sound like an explanation. Sounds more like a plain threat. 
    bestkeptsecretAndy.Hardwakeracerhomie3EsquireCatsMplsPjahbladejbdragonmacseekercaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I'm sure Mark Zuckerberg would like to make it so that people can't buy or sell anything without using Facebook. Oh, wait.
    sphericjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Nothing short of prison time may be required to rein in these m&rons.
    davgregmacseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    "Facebook emphasizes its commitment to privacy..." was this before or after they got caught?
    razorpitrob53Wgkruegerdavgreganantksundaramjbdragonmacseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Those apps are definitely getting the "allow once" treatment. I'm curious to see all the odd times it polls for location.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    "Facebook emphasizes its commitment to privacy..." was this before or after they got caught?
    It's every time they get caught.
    Carnagedoctwelverazorpitdavgreganantksundaramjbdragonsilverwarlocmacseekercaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    spheric said:
    Hahahaha fuck you. 

I like how they explicitly say: "Even if you DISable our location tracking, we will still do everything we can figure out where you are by any means possible." 

And they do figure it out. I'm always astonished to see people using their app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    I always figure if someone’s using the facebook app they don’t give a damn about their privacy. If they really cared, Facebook would have a ‘don’t track my location’ option in their settings. But they don’t.

The Allow Once option is nice, but I’m guessing if you try to use it you’ll be inundated with requests every 5 seconds while using the App, which will just illustrate how often Facebook is trying to track you
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Title of this should be "Facebook warns users of they'll be more aware of what a MoFo Facebook is"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Facebook has an iOS app? Oh, good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Translation:  "We really, really want to relentlessly track you and monitor everything you ever say and do.  If you upgrade to iOS 13 and select "allow once," your phone will tell you how much we've been spying on you.  We'd rather that not happen."  

maestro64muthuk_vanalingamcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I’m pretty sure dissuading users from upgrading/updating is a violation of Apple’s developer agreement.
    mac_doganantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Since Facebook these days tracks/stalks people not signed up for an account, do they care about them?
    Do not be silly, of course they do not.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    spheric said:
    Hahahaha fuck you. 

Good thing then that I deleted that crap from my iOS devices!!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    jbdragon said:
    spheric said:
    Hahahaha fuck you. 

Good thing then that I deleted that crap from my iOS devices!!!!
    You think they won't try whatever they can through the browser?  Hah. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Two things:

1.  The babies are crying, the babies are crying.

2.  facebook already knows where the user is.  They have the IP address from the user.  No matter where one is logged in, they have the IP address.
    caladanianwatto_cobra