New iPhone might not feature two-way wireless charging, will include 18W USB adapter, more...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    seankill said:
    avon b7 said:
    Wireless reverse charging is a convenience feature for when no cable is available. Wired reverse charging is a far better option if you have a cable to hand although it can't be considered innovation as it's been on competing phones since at least 2017.

Including an 18W charger in the OLED models but not the entry level model would be an obscene move IMO. 5W should have been phased out many years ago. 

There is zero valid justification for not including a faster charger in the box across the three phones.

I hope they all get a charging boost.
    There is one reason, Apple has gotten cheap and is willing to sacrifice user experience for a buck or two. Literally the cost of a 20oz Coke. 
    I'm still optimistic that there will be something newsworthy this evening (basing that on the title of the invite) and that Kuo is wrong on this, but I agree with you, if the 5W charger lives on in this refresh, Apple will deserve every bit of criticism that it receives as a result.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 27
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I don’t really understand why you’d want your phone to charge another device - my battery barely lasts for a day of use. It would only drain my phone’s battery faster.
    Seems a gimmick more than anything else.
    Now, if they’d considerably up the battery’s capabilities, then I’d understand.

I currently have an iPhone X which I think is good enough. A much better camera is a reason to upgrade for me, as well as gifting my phone to my wife who has an aging 6S.
    I don’t think I’ll really notice 5G anyway, until the infrastructure leverages this speed and my mobile provider compensated by offering much more data for the same amount of money. 

Time-of-flight sensor seems incredibly useful though; for video auto-focus with a larger sensor, for augmented reality purposes and mapping a 3D scene, which I bet will Apple use with some sort of “3D photo” format you can share with friends.

I think the ability to charge the watch is real useful.    If you are just going on a one night business trip you only need to bring your phone charger if your phone could recharge your watch.  Of course for a longer trip I would probably bring both chargers.   I would really be impressed if they switched to solid state batteries to increase their time between charges.
    muthuk_vanalingamrazorpit
  • Reply 23 of 27
    One of the advantages of having multiple Apple devices in our household is the range of chargers on hand. When faster charging is called for, I can use a 16W iPad charger for the phones (iPhone XS and 8 Plus), and a 30W USB-C MBA charger for my iPad Pro.

For routine overnight charging we still use regular slow chargers, since that tends to maximize battery lifetime.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    How is he revising a "claim?"  It's a prediction.  Not a claim.  These analyst predictions are worthless and always have been.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Keep playing it safe Tim and bow to the share holders. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    seankill said:
    avon b7 said:
    Wireless reverse charging is a convenience feature for when no cable is available. Wired reverse charging is a far better option if you have a cable to hand although it can't be considered innovation as it's been on competing phones since at least 2017.

Including an 18W charger in the OLED models but not the entry level model would be an obscene move IMO. 5W should have been phased out many years ago. 

There is zero valid justification for not including a faster charger in the box across the three phones.

I hope they all get a charging boost.
    There is one reason, Apple has gotten cheap and is willing to sacrifice user experience for a buck or two. Literally the cost of a 20oz Coke. 
    I have to say that I actually love the 5w chargers. I have a faster charger for home, but when I'm travelling I bring the 5W charger: It's fast enough and seriously tiny (e.g. check out the european one for example.) However I think we're also at a stage where everyone has one - it almost seems a waste to include a new 5W charger in the box when you can be pretty certain that few people don't already have an equivalent usb charger.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Timing of this information half day before the presentation is strange... When specs have been locked in for months ...
    Well you would presume so...
    But there was Airpower supposedly locked in months in advance too only to be finally abandoned for now. Even the user manuals referring to it were printed. Certainly not unreasonable to think Apple may have planned for the feature, but with a few weeks to go decided it wasn't quite ready. 

By the way I just saw this in an online comment and I think it's funny no matter whether a fan or not:

"Sounds like all Apple can charge...

is your credit card."

edited September 2019 avon b7muthuk_vanalingam