Online Apple Store down, will 'Be right back' after today's new iPhone event

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2019
Hours ahead of its 'By innovation only' iPhone launch event, Apple has taken down the online version of the Apple Store for maintenance, preparing the digital storefront's product pages for the introduction of new models.

Apple habitually closes the online Apple Store ahead of major launch events, in order to make changes, such as the addition of new products or to update pricing. This is especially true in the case of hardware launches, such as new models of iPhone.

Visitors to the online store are greeted by a "Be right back" notice advising "We're making updates to the Apple Store. Check back soon." There is also an animated version of the Apple logo.

The store is anticipated to return shortly after Apple completes its product announcements.

The event later today is largely expected to involve iPhones, specifically new models tentatively titled the "iPhone 11," "iPhone Pro," and "iPhone Pro Max." Along with the usual specification bumps, the key change to the models this year is the addition of an extra camera on the back, giving the Pro versions a triple-camera setup instead of two cameras.

Apple may also launch other products, such as a new version of the Apple Watch, a 16-inch MacBook Pro, a new iPad Pro, and Apple Tag trackers. There is even the possibility Apple could make the Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR available to order.

AppleInsider will be at Apple's Steve Jobs Theater for Tuesday's "By Innovation Only" event. Follow along with us here, on Twitter, on YouTube, and on Instagram to get all the details of the new iPhone and more!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    But what if I need to order someting now

Cool animation on the Logo. I’ve always been impressed with the design of Apple’s web sites - it became more noticeable (for me) several years ago when Apple started pushing HTML 5 instead of Flash, kind of like they were going out of their way to show what one could do without Flash. Whatever their reason, they make a nice, polished site.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Will be interesting to see if the iPhone 7 is gone.  It’s hard to believe the 8 would be gone too but who knows.   The 8 is a great choice for large companies who equip some of their employees and a super phone in general.  How many production phones does Apple want to deal with at the same time?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    For me, this use to be a very exciting and seductive time, not so much any more and partly my own fault.

I wonder with Angela in the rear view mirror who is going to pick out what clothing ensemble Tim Cook wears?... ;)
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I've always looked forward to the new iPads but since I got an iPad pro last year, not so much this year. Still curious though.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MplsP said:

Simple answer... class action lawsuit! (sarcasm)
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    M68000 said:
    Will be interesting to see if the iPhone 7 is gone.  It’s hard to believe the 8 would be gone too but who knows.   The 8 is a great choice for large companies who equip some of their employees and a super phone in general.  How many production phones does Apple want to deal with at the same time?
    Exactly as many as will sell. I saw Walmart selling some guy a 6S not too long ago. Every $100 increment is an entirely different market.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20

bigtds said:
    I've always looked forward to the new iPads but since I got an iPad pro last year, not so much this year. Still curious though.
    I'm looking forward to the structurally reinforced replacement they've obviously been fast-tracking.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:

Simple answer... class action lawsuit! (sarcasm)
    <facepalm> of course! Why didn’t I think of that!
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Not too much expected this year but I wonder if they will continue to switch over to USB C like the iPad Pro.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I am able to access the store.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Unfortunately these events steadily lose their audience in tedium.  I miss the days when Apple didn’t have a quarter trillion dollars in cash and therefore needed to innovate in order to compete. 

Their cash reserves allow Apple to coast indefinitely for the next 20 years without a need to put another dent in the universe... other than their political lobbying. 

At least Apple is keeping the Irish bankers and the Chinese economy alive. 
  • Reply 12 of 20

bigtds said:
    I'm looking forward to the structurally reinforced replacement they've obviously been fast-tracking.
    I heard a few people have had problems with bendy iPad Pros. Fortunately, I'm not one of them. I keep mine in a sturdy case and I'm pretty gentle with it. But I imagine I would be pretty upset if mine bent after spending so much on it. Hopefully Apple has solved this issue on the new ones.
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 13 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    One thing is always for certain this time of the year: all of the exciting and cool new Apple products that you bought last year are about to become suddenly much less cool as soon as Tim steps off the stage. 

Sigh ... my iPhone XS Max will now be just another one of many “legacy” Apple products. I may as well enjoy the last few precious hours of being an owner of the “best of the best” and prepare myself for just being the owner of “one of those” when all the cool new alien eyed new iPhones show up in the wild. I will feel so diminished. 🙁

It was a nice year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    bigtds said:

bigtds said:
    I heard a few people have had problems with bendy iPad Pros. Fortunately, I'm not one of them. I keep mine in a sturdy case and I'm pretty gentle with it. But I imagine I would be pretty upset if mine bent after spending so much on it. Hopefully Apple has solved this issue on the new ones.
    It is really bad. Not at all like the bendgate of iPhone 6 which was 15 minutes of nonsense. The problem with iPad Pro is real, and widespread, and has stopped a lot of people buying them until it is resolved.
  • Reply 15 of 20

dewme said:
    One thing is always for certain this time of the year: all of the exciting and cool new Apple products that you bought last year are about to become suddenly much less cool as soon as Tim steps off the stage. 

Sigh ... my iPhone XS Max will now be just another one of many “legacy” Apple products. I may as well enjoy the last few precious hours of being an owner of the “best of the best” and prepare myself for just being the owner of “one of those” when all the cool new alien eyed new iPhones show up in the wild. I will feel so diminished. 🙁

It was a nice year. 
     :D  Hardly. For the first time in 12 years I will keep my iPhone XS Max for a second year, because Apple has nothing to offer in 2019 worth upgrading for. Especially not at these prices.
    mobird
  • Reply 16 of 20
    For some of the reasons that have been stated, I also will pass on any upgrading. My iPhone X has a nice distinction to me that has so far not been supplanted with any of the updates that have been offered by Apple to date. Sympathy for those stuck in the addiction of the "latest and greatest" iPhone upgrade cycle especially when there is nothing being offered by Apple to justify an upgrade.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I have no idea why they always close the online store before the event. We've been running an e-commerce site since 1994 and we never once had to shut it down for any reason.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    jfdesigns said:
    Unfortunately these events steadily lose their audience in tedium.  I miss the days when Apple didn’t have a quarter trillion dollars in cash and therefore needed to innovate in order to compete. 

Their cash reserves allow Apple to coast indefinitely for the next 20 years without a need to put another dent in the universe... other than their political lobbying. 

At least Apple is keeping the Irish bankers and the Chinese economy alive. 
    Cool conspiracy theories bro. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20

bigtds said:

bigtds said:
    It is really bad. Not at all like the bendgate of iPhone 6 which was 15 minutes of nonsense. The problem with iPad Pro is real, and widespread, and has stopped a lot of people buying them until it is resolved.
    Disagree. I had a 6 that bent in my front pocket via normal use. I have not heard of anyone with bendy ipads after that initial clickbait story. 
  • Reply 20 of 20

dewme said:

Sigh ... my iPhone XS Max will now be just another one of many “legacy” Apple products. I may as well enjoy the last few precious hours of being an owner of the “best of the best” and prepare myself for just being the owner of “one of those” when all the cool new alien eyed new iPhones show up in the wild. I will feel so diminished. ߙ᦬t;br>
    It was a nice year. 
     :D  Hardly. For the first time in 12 years I will keep my iPhone XS Max for a second year, because Apple has nothing to offer in 2019 worth upgrading for. Especially not at these prices.
    And I kept my X for two years. That doesn’t mean there isn’t anything worthy or that Apple is failing, slipping, DOOOMED, etc. It just means these are getting to be mature devices and even phone nerds don’t need to upgrade every year. Normals don’t do that anyway. 
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra