Apple launches new 10.2-inch 7th generation iPad with Smart Connector

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple has unveiled an updated seventh generation iPad with a 10.2-inch screen, an A10 Fusion processor and a Smart Connector.

Apple 7th generation iPad 2019

During its September 10 iPhone event, Apple also launched a new iPad, which is meant to take the spot of the existing entry-level model. Apple says it's twice as fast as the previous model, and it contains a new 10.2-inch Retina display.

"The new iPad packs even more value into our most popular and affordable iPad model featuring a bigger 10.2-inch Retina display, support for Apple Pencil and for the first time, the full-size Smart Keyboard," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Product Marketing in a statement.

It supports the Apple Pencil, but still only the first-generation model.

The new 10.2-inch iPad will be available to order from today, and will be shipping at the end of the month. It retails for $329 while education buyers will be able to get it for $299.

"The new iPad packs even more value into our most popular and affordable iPad model featuring a bigger 10.2-inch Retina display, support for Apple Pencil and for the first time, the full-size Smart Keyboard," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Product Marketing. "The new iPad was built to run iPadOS, which introduces powerful new ways to multitask, manage and mark up documents, use Apple Pencil and view more information at a glance on a redesigned Home screen. This new iPad with iPadOS takes everything people love about our most popular iPad and makes it even better for creating, learning, working and playing."

While new iPads have been expected from Apple, leaks prior to the September 10 event were predicting an October release -- and were also concentrating on updated iPad Pro models.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    A10? Didn’t the iPad already have A10!? Yeah it did. They bumped the screen but didn’t improve the Soc.
    bigtdsmuthuk_vanalingamspace2001albegarc
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I wonder how long Apple can get away with those big bezels. I really starts to look very old fashioned.
    bigtds
  • Reply 3 of 32
    A10? Didn’t the iPad already have A10!? Yeah it did. They bumped the screen but didn’t improve the Soc. 
    ilovemom said:
    I wonder how long Apple can get away with those big bezels. I really starts to look very old fashioned.
    Get a Pro if either of those things bother you. This is an awesome upgrade at the exact same price for the everyday iPad user. 
    dewmejibberjStrangeDaysdocno42lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Pretty lame iPad news.Wife needs a new iPad but this ain't it.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Smart connector in place of lightning connector? Or USB-C? What's on the bottom?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    eightzero said:
    Smart connector in place of lightning connector? Or USB-C? What's on the bottom?
    Smart Connector is for the keyboard. 

I didn’t catch the connector but they did mention thumb drives so maybe USB-C? Of course that could be by way of Lightning adapter. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    bigtds said:
    Then get the iPad Pro. What more does she need?
    docno42lolliveruraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    This should be a popular choice for education. The Smart Connector for the keyboard is a great addition that requires zero configuration or pairing and Apple Pencil support, even first gen, is very nice - for the price. Apple totally owns the tablet market at this point and this model serves another small niche that they don’t already dominate. Choice is good. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    DeChucklesDeChuckles Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Actually the new iPad Air has a Smart Connector, so the new iPad is the second non-Pro iPad to include a Smart Connector.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    I am even happier now for purchasing iPad 6 128g for $329. There is no difference for me with iPad 7.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Loved everything i saw... and new services pricing are insanely good.. no brainer for me !.......... BUT........ What about the iPad Pros??? Given that they introduced the new 10.2 in this event.. does that mean there is no more special event for iPad Pro? And no new iPAD Pro for this year............ Kind of confusing.. leaving those of us interested in limbo! ......... Why introduce the 10.2 at this event .. if there will be another iPad event? Makes no sense!
    edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Booked!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    The one to get will be the iPad 6 when the prices start dropping after the iPad 7 is released. It's practically the same.
    dnovoMisterKit
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I’m surprised the Air is still in the lineup now. .3” difference and A12 vs A10, is that it? Weird. 

Speaking of:

It's also the first non-Pro iPad to feature Apple's Smart Connector.

No it’s not, the Air was. 

edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32
    bigtds said:
    Get the iPad Air 3.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 32
    During its September 10 iPhone event, Apple also launched a new iPad, which is meant to take the spot of the existing entry-level model. Apple says it's twice as fast as the previous model
    No they didn't. They said "up to two times faster performance over the top-selling Windows PC". https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/09/apple-introduces-new-version-of-the-most-popular-ipad-starting-at-329/

The 7th gen iPad has the same A10 Fusion processor as the 6th gen iPad, so they should have almost identical performance. Clock speed and thermal changes might make it slightly faster, but that will be counteracted somewhat by needing to drive more pixels.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 32
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Loved everything i saw... and new services pricing are insanely good.. no brainer for me !.......... BUT........ What about the iPad Pros??? Given that they introduced the new 10.2 in this event.. does that mean there is no more special event for iPad Pro? And no new iPAD Pro for this year............ Kind of confusing.. leaving those of us interested in limbo! ......... Why introduce the 10.2 at this event .. if there will be another iPad event? Makes no sense!
    iPad Pro has never been updated on an annual basis...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 32
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Have to say, this was one of the oddest updates they’ve done on stage. They’ve announced bigger changes to hardware in a press release. LOL

Did they run out of 9.7” screens?
    edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32

I’m surprised the Air is still in the lineup now. .3” difference and A12 vs A10, is that it? Weird. 
    No, that is not all. Just considering the processor, the A12 benchmarks 38% faster (single core) to 95% faster (multi core), probably more than 100% faster for graphics, plus adds the Neural Engine which gives extra capabilities in areas such as AR.

Apart from that, the Air has: more RAM (3 vs 2 GB), double storage at each tier, slightly thinner and lighter, fully laminated display, antireflective coating, P3 colour gamut, True Tone, better Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and a few other minor advantages.

Compared to the 6th gen iPad, the 7th gen catches up on the Air on two features: smart keyboard support, and nearly matching the display size. Everything else appears to be identical between 6th and 7th gen.

It seems odd for Apple to introduce a new iPad with the A10 Fusion at the same time as discontinuing the iPhone which used that processor. It makes me wonder how many years of software updates the 7th gen iPad will get. The A12 Bionic should get two years/versions more than the A10 Fusion.
    albegarcwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Pretty much the only difference between iPad 6 and iPad 7 is the form factor. Minimally larger screen and Smart connector. It’s just slightly more than a stand still move. One can say that 7 is better than 6 but not when 6 has been and currently is deeply discounted.
    watto_cobra