Apple's $699 iPhone 11 is an iPhone XR successor with two rear cameras

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2019
Alongside the launch of new OLED models, Apple has revealed a spiritual successor to the iPhone XR, with the iPhone 11 offering a similar form and LCD screen, but this time with two cameras on the back instead of one.

Announced at Apple's "Innovation Only" event on Tuesday, the iPhone 11 is an updated version of the iPhone XR, housing a 6.1-inch Liquid Retina HD IPS LCD. The 1792-by-828 resolution screen has a pixel density of 326ppi, is also True Tone-equipped, has a 1400:1 contrast ratio, Haptic Touch, and has wide color P3 support.

Arguably the biggest update to the product line is, as with the other launches, the additional camera on the back. Rather than switching to a triple camera setup as with the OLED-based models, Apple has instead moved from the iPhone XR's single wide-angle camera to a dual camera setup, bringing it in line with the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max from last year.

Rather than wide and telephoto, the new lens is in fact an Ultra Wide Angle lens, providing a 120-degree field of view. It is possible to line up a shot in the normal wide camera, then zoom out see the wider angle image.

While the Ultra Wide is a 13mm f/2.4 shooter with a five-element lens, the old Wide camera is a 26mm f/1.8 version with a six-element lens, optical image stabilization, and 100% Focus Pixels.

The sensors are 12-megapixel versions, complete with deep and large pixels introduced last year to help improve low-light photography, while its computational photography capabilities enable it to continue offering Portrait shots. A HDR mode and 4K video recording capabilities are also offered.

New for this version is Quick Take, a mode in the camera app to quickly record a video, as well as an interface that takes advantage of the Ultra Wide lens to show more of the frame by making the interface translucent. Also, Portrait Mode, which worked only for humans on the iPhone XR, will now work with pets.

To the front, the TrueDepth Camera array has been upgraded to a 12-megapixel camera, but still retains the same Face ID authentication, Portrait Lighting effects, bokeh and depth control, smart HDR, 4K recording, and support for Animoji and Memoji.

The TrueDepth Camera can also record slo-mo video for the first time, and many of its features now work properly when the iPhone is turned on its side.

Apple has added the 64-bit A13 Bionic processor, made using a 7-nanometer fabrication process and said to be the fastest CPU in a smartphone, in part due to its faster Neural Engine and Machine Learning Accelerators that enable more than a trillion operations per second to be performed. The A13 is also said to have the fastest GPU in a smartphone, building on top of the speed offered by the A12's version.

The iPhone 11 will be offered in a wide number of color options, including white, black, red, green, yellow, and purple.

Battery life is claimed to be even longer than the iPhone XR, with the iPhone 11 said to have an hour more of usage than its predecessor. Audio is provided with Dolby Atmos support for spatial audio and improved sound quality, while its IP68 rating makes it water resistant to a maximum depth of 2 meters for up to 30 minutes.

Apple is pricing the iPhone 11 starting from $699. Orders ship to consumers with arrival as soon as September 20.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Does iPhone Xr or iPhone 11 output 4k video through the lightning port?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    For a min I thought this was the replacement for the iPhone XS and thought they removed the telephoto lens. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Slofies 🤦

minicoffee
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Maybe I was expecting too much from this release. The camera bumps are now on a separate bump so it's all got worse instead of better.
    It's just a spec bump phone.
    robert g80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 5 of 29
    robert grobert g Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    and cost $2500.00 dollars
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Adds a second camera, new processor and a $50 price drop?

Sounds like a winner.
    muthuk_vanalingambageljoeyrazorpitPickUrPoisondewmealbegarcDeelronlolliverSpamSandwichAppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 29
    evilution said:
    Maybe I was expecting too much from this release. The camera bumps are now on a separate bump so it's all got worse instead of better.
    I get it. Spec bump!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    OFFICIAL APPLE STRATEGY
    Make iPhone 11 colors so horrendously hideous that you will be forced to buy the Pro. 

chemengin1rezwits
  • Reply 9 of 29
    robert g said:
    Nice first comment. It’s $50 cheaper than the Xr
    StrangeDaysrazorpitPickUrPoisonDeelronlolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Sounds like they got the message that people don't want to pay $1k.  Good.  It was a long way from an iPhone8 to an XS, really too far.  Everything is sounding good so far.
    muthuk_vanalingamJWSCAppleExposed
  • Reply 11 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Wov!! Apple at $699, reserve 4 for my family of 4.. But, waiting for Pros pricing announcement.
    edited September 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    robert g said:
    Nice first comment. It’s $50 cheaper than the Xr
    There is a small cluster fuck of disinformation trolls filling up the comments on Macrumors, here and elsewhere. They all have one thing in common--Android users.
    fastasleepStrangeDaysrazorpitDeelronlolliverSpamSandwichAppleExposed
  • Reply 13 of 29
    wallym said:
    Sounds like they got the message that people don't want to pay $1k.  Good.  It was a long way from an iPhone8 to an XS, really too far.  Everything is sounding good so far.
    Xr was $750, this is cheaper. Pro is still $1K. 
    StrangeDaysrazorpitAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    evilution said:
    Actually the camera bumps look better. Completely irrelevant tho, as I care more about the pictures than someone looking at the back of my phone.
    wallym said:
    This is the XR replacement. The top-tier is still $999, which is fine with me.
    fastasleeprazorpitPickUrPoisonjony0lolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    BlackHipsterBlackHipster Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    Cool! Next year when they release Iphone12, I will buy this for $599!
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    RandyrandersonRandyranderson Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Any info if the regular 11 is 4x4 mimo this year? I’m assuming it’s using the Intel 7660 XMM like the Pro is but hoping they don’t gimp the speed by only using 2x2 mimo like on the Xr.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Nice price point.  I’m in.  3% cash back!
    lolliverrezwitsAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Any info if the regular 11 is 4x4 mimo this year? I’m assuming it’s using the Intel 7660 XMM like the Pro is but hoping they don’t gimp the speed by only using 2x2 mimo like on the Xr.
    2 x 2.  They cut the price.   What do you expect?   A phone that’s good as a phone.   I guess it will be next year till we can get a QualComm phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    evilution said:
    Actually the camera bumps look better. Completely irrelevant tho, as I care more about the pictures than someone looking at the back of my phone.
    I honestly don't give a damn about the camera bump. I have a case that's thicker than the bump, I spend my time looking at the front of the phone, not the back and If someone wants to judge me by my phone then I don't really care what they think anyway.
    wallym said:
    This is the XR replacement. The top-tier is still $999, which is fine with me.
    The Xr was already a good deal last year; this makes it an even better deal. 
    PickUrPoisonDeelronlolliverSpamSandwichAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    So does this pricing include Trump’s Tariff or is that Tacked on like a Tax???! If this includes the Tariff this Price cut is impressive and Apple is to be commended ALOT.
    rezwits