Apple TV+ launches on November 1, for $4.99 per month

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2019
After debuting the service in March, Apple CEO Tim Cook has announced the debut of Apple TV+ on November 1, with subscriptions starting at $4.99 per month -- with free service accompanying new Apple hardware buyers.

Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard star in "See", a new science fiction drama written by "Peaky Blinders" creator Steven Knight. Apple CEO Tim Cook highlighted the show during Tuesday's event again, and played the trailer for the upcoming show.

Apple TV+ will be available to 100 countries upon launch, and can be accessed not only on Apple devices like the Apple TV and the iPhone, but also online at tv.apple.com. This allows those outside the Apple ecosystem the chance to watch content exclusive to Apple TV+.

Cook said that the service launches on November 1 for $4.99 a month. But, if you buy a new iPhone or Apple TV, you get a year of service for free.

Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon drama "The Morning Show," was also discussed on Tuesday. "The Morning Show" is about a news program and the people who work on it, following scandal and accusation.

The March event's headline celebrity was Oprah Winfrey. Winfrey explained how she was making documentaries and also bringing her famous book club to this new service.

"We have this unique opportunity to rise to our best selves in how we choose to use our technology and our humanity," she said. "To face the daunting challenges of our time. Each of us comes to this Earth with a deep potential that yearns to be fulfilled. We all crave connection, we search for common ground. We all want to be heard but we also need to listen."

Oprah Winfrey on stage at Apple's event
Oprah Winfrey on stage at Apple's event

Other shows unveiled in March included a new preschool series about coding and a music comedy/drama called "Little Voice" by Sara Bareilles and JJ Abrams.

"We're honored that the absolute best lineup of storytellers in the world -- both in front of and behind the camera -- are coming to Apple TV+," Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services, said at the debut. "We're thrilled to give viewers a sneak peek of Apple TV+ and cannot wait for them to tune in starting this fall. Apple TV+ will be home to some of the highest quality original storytelling that TV and movie lovers have seen yet."

The service is helmed by Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg. The pair are former Sony Pictures Television executives, as co-heads of video programming. Previously the two were responsible for programming like "Breaking Bad" and "The Goldbergs."

"It will be an honor to be part of the Apple team," said Erlicht in a statement at the time. "We want to bring to video what Apple has been so successful with in their other services and consumer products -- unparalleled quality."

Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free. Beginning November 1, customers can initiate the one-year free offer in the Apple TV app on the device running the latest software. Customers have three months after device activation to claim the offer, or if the device was purchased and activated before the launch of Apple TV+, they will have three months starting November 1.

The subscription will automatically renew at $4.99 per month after one year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    $5 is tenable. But note the weasel words "starting at." Bet the 4K sub is more. Way more.
    edited September 2019 cornchipAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Holy crap. See looks incredible (and the irony one of the creators is from Peaky Blinders lol). One year free with purchase of anything? Makes sense while the content is still getting started. $5 is nothing. Knocked it out of the park. 
    StrangeDaysboltsfan17gilly33SolirandominternetpersonapplesnorangeslolliverCarnagewatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Curious to get more details about the iPhone/Apple TV offer. Like if I buy a new iPhone on October an I eligible or only new phones bought after launch? Also, do people in the iPhone upgrade program get to be considered as buying a new phone & qualifying for the free service? 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 43
    eightzero said:
    $5 is tenable. But note the weasel words "starting at." Bet the 4K sub is more. Way more.
    By that logic Netflix, Dropbox, every auto maker, etc are all using weasel words. Lots of products have tiered offerings. I don't have 4K, don't need it, and am happy to pay the lower tier if that's what the difference is.
    fastasleepracerhomie3lolliverMacProCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    eightzero said:
    I was listening to Cook when he announced the price and he said nothing of the sort. This article also states that new iPhone or Apple TV purchases get 1 year free but again I was listening to Cook and he included iPads and Macs. MacRumors’ live feed confirms this so I have no idea where AppleInsider is getting its information but it is WRONG.
    StrangeDaysllamalolliverbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    eightzero said:
    I was listening to Cook when he announced the price and he said nothing of the sort. This article also states that new iPhone or Apple TV purchases get 1 year free but again I was listening to Cook and he included iPads and Macs. MacRumors’ live feed confirms this so I have no idea where AppleInsider is getting its information but it is WRONG.
    Thanks. No live blog here on AI today. I can't watch live - stuck in a pointless and stupid work meeting.
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Holy crap. See looks incredible (and the irony one of the creators is from Peaky Blinders lol). One year free with purchase of anything? Makes sense while the content is still getting started. $5 is nothing. Knocked it out of the park. 
    I must admit, when I read the description of See when it was announced earlier in the year, it sounded kind of lame to me. After watching the trailer, it actually looks pretty good. 
    edited September 2019 watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 8 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Likely a loss leader pricing to begin with, and Disney+ probably is as well. A very manageable streaming subscription that should get quite a good response.

$5 subscriptions is the new $10? I don't that companies other than the biggest techs and media companies could possible compete.  
    edited September 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 9 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    eightzero said:
    The information actually is right. You do get a year free with the purchase of a new iPhone. When Cook announced the one year free, the graphic on the screen showed an iPhone, iPad, and a Mac. 
    watto_cobraSnickersMagoo
  • Reply 10 of 43
    eightzero said:
    By that logic Netflix, Dropbox, every auto maker, etc are all using weasel words. Lots of products have tiered offerings. I don't have 4K, don't need it, and am happy to pay the lower tier if that's what the difference is.
    Don’t worry StrangeDays many were assuming AppleTV+ would be expensive and a waste. So at $4.99 someone has to complain or find something wrong. That’s what complainers do. 
    mac_dogcornchipSpamSandwichlolliverbrucemcwatto_cobraAppleExposedSnickersMagoo
  • Reply 11 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    eightzero said:
    The information actually is right. You do get a year free with the purchase of a new iPhone. When Cook announced the one year free, the graphic on the screen showed an iPhone, iPad, and a Mac. 
    Did it say "starting at?" Did Tim give any indication that it might be more? 
  • Reply 12 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    lkrupp said:
    eightzero said:
    This article only mentions the iPhone and the TV. it says nothing about the iPad and Macs. Tim Cook included both the iPad and the Mac so the above article is wrong by the error of omission. Purchasing a new iPhone, TV, iPad, or Mac gets you one year of TV+ free. 
    watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 13 of 43
    eightzero said:
    lkrupp said:
    eightzero said:
    My guess is that the higher price will be for the Family subscription.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    This article only mentions the iPhone and the TV. it says nothing about the iPad and Macs. Tim Cook included both the iPad and the Mac so the above article is wrong by the error of omission. Purchasing a new iPhone, TV, iPad, or Mac gets you one year of TV+ free. 
    The article says "Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free." Maybe they updated if afterwards.

What I want to know is if I buy 2 new devices, do I get 2 years for free?
    docno42lolliver
  • Reply 15 of 43
    gordlacey said:
    eightzero said:
    lkrupp said:
    eightzero said:
    Tim said the $4.99 price included family sharing. 
    applesnorangesllamalolliverbrucemcwatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 16 of 43
    gordlacey said:
    eightzero said:
    lkrupp said:
    eightzero said:
    No — that is the Family price. The use of “starting at” is just an unfortunate word choice by the AI writer, who probably meant “at launch.”

My question is what happens if I buy at least one Apple device each year — do I get tv+ free until I stop doing that? Or is it just one year, and then no more, no matter how regularly you buy Apple hardware?
    edited September 2019 llamawatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 17 of 43
    gordlacey said:
    eightzero said:
    lkrupp said:
    eightzero said:
    No — that is the Family price. The use of “starting at” is just an unfortunate word choice by the AI writer, who probably meant “at launch.”

My question is what happens if I buy at least one Apple device each year — do I get tv+ free until I stop doing that? Or is it just one year, and then no more, no matter how regularly you buy Apple hardware?
    Seems that there are still questions about the pricing. AI will likely be on top of this breaking story, as they are the source of the "starting at" report. 
  • Reply 18 of 43
    supadav03 said:
    Curious to get more details about the iPhone/Apple TV offer. Like if I buy a new iPhone on October an I eligible or only new phones bought after launch? Also, do people in the iPhone upgrade program get to be considered as buying a new phone & qualifying for the free service? 
    It’s all explained here: https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus/ You can buy the product as soon as it’s available and still get your free year’s subscription on November 1. And, it’s $4.99 for a family subscription. There’s no specific mention of trade-ins but I’d imagine they’re covered, too. It looks as though Apple is aiming to get a very large base of subscribers from the get-go!
    watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 19 of 43
    supadav03 said:
    It’s all explained here: https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus/ You can buy the product as soon as it’s available and still get your free year’s subscription on November 1. And, it’s $4.99 for a family subscription. There’s no specific mention of trade-ins but I’d imagine they’re covered, too. It looks as though Apple is aiming to get a very large base of subscribers from the get-go!
    And the apple official page does specifically say (a bit surprisingly to me) 4K and Dolby Atmos. Not sure where the "starting at" comes from. 
    llamawatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 20 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

"...most Apple TV+ series will premiere with three episodes, adding one new episode on a weekly basis. However, some shows will debut with all episodes available in one go. This means Apple will adopt the Netflix binge model for some content and a traditional episodic release schedule for its high-profile star content.

Users will be able to sign up and watch Apple TV on the web in browsers including Safari, Chrome and Firefox."

By the way, I really did expect there was going to be that "one more thing". :/

edited September 2019 llama