Apple debuts iPhone 11 Pro from $999 with triple rear camera

Comments

• Reply 41 of 171
    Outstanding upgrades to the photo and video features. The ultra-wide camera option is great, all cameras shooting 4k at 60 fps (even the front camera, if I heard correctly), advanced processing for night mode and higher detail. high-dynamic range, etc etc. Lots of stuff here that will make photo and video people very excited.

I'm a photographer and this is the first camera that had me thinking of it as *replacing* one of my cameras. 

I've never really cared that much about phones before but I'm very excited about this one.

--Darin
    fastasleepjahbladegilly33lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 171
    Payments?  Currently on iPhone upgrade program, iPhone XS Max 256 GB and paying ~$60/month.  Looking on the site to order the new iPhone 11 Pro Max 256 GB, monthly payment appears to now be ~$27/month.  Surely this can't be.  Are those figures assuming I've completely paid off the XS Max, even though I'm only 1 year into my iPhone Upgrade Plan, or will I be getting a ~45% discount on my monthly iPhone hardware payment?!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 171
    dicebier1 said:
    Pretty much expected this.... nothing exciting......sort of like a lame duck year until 5G arrives.
    Will keep my iPhone XS Max for another year.
    If you're expecting annual upgrades to be riveting you'll likely be disappointed for life. Normal people don't upgrade every year, so it's no surprise the updates are the usual 50% processor improvements, camera improvements, etc. You just got an awesome phone last year, so no tears for you.

5G, when it arrives, just means faster loading web pages when not on wifi. Big whoop.
    Cmon man, A camera with a processor bump. Really?

I didn't expect much more as I stated in my post. 

You may post a lot but I'm sure many people would agree that LATELY (so you don't take it out of context) Apple's iPhones have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

What ever happened to "People don't know what they want until you show it to them?" Well we haven't seen something we don't already have in terms of iPhone in about three years. This should be called the iPhone Photographers Edition.

Hmmm....as far as your "annual upgrade" comment - iPhone 6 - 6s then 6s - 6s Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 8/8 Plus (really an iPhone 7 on steroids), then iPhone X - iPhone XS/XS Plus, Now a THIRD iteration of the iPhone X called the 11. 

SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW

Cheers mate
    edited September 2019 anantksundaramamarkap
  • Reply 44 of 171
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,661member
    dicebier1 said:
    Pretty much expected this.... nothing exciting......sort of like a lame duck year until 5G arrives.
    I agree it wasn't exciting but a solid upgrade nevertheless. Glad to see the XR came down in price. The battery and charging improvements were long overdue as was the tri-camera. The colours are not bad IMO although a little samey and, in a way, I like it that they have 'normal' names. Although some people said colour and finish weren't important, it's clear Apple understands their importance. We now have a textured finish too. No 5G but they have included a 'faster gigabit' modem. No 5G actually does matter but that will be next year. Buyers will just have to think that option through making a final decision.

CPU/GPU improvements were in line with expectations.

I would have liked the pro variants to drop in price. We'll see how they sell.

I followed the Anandtech live blog as I was on a train home so probably missed some smaller details.
  • Reply 45 of 171
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    As predicted.  An updated processor, jam another camera in, some improvements in speed and battery life.  All decent stuff for the best phone on the market.  But definitely not worth it for most people to upgrade if they have the previous model.  My Max will be with me another year.  
    cflcardsfan80chemengin1jahbladedysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 171

Basically, the dullest Apple keynote I can recall. I said some weeks ago that I expected one that was somewhere in the spectrum of ‘blah’ to ‘meh’: that turned out to be a wildly optimistic prediction.

Apple appears to be currently in a holding pattern vis-à-vis its products and services. Looking on the bright side, the stock was flat.

I’ll wait for 2020.

chemengin1dicebier1nubusentropysevilution
  • Reply 47 of 171
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Payments?  Currently on iPhone upgrade program, iPhone XS Max 256 GB and paying ~$60/month.  Looking on the site to order the new iPhone 11 Pro Max 256 GB, monthly payment appears to now be ~$27/month.  Surely this can't be.  Are those figures assuming I've completely paid off the XS Max, even though I'm only 1 year into my iPhone Upgrade Plan, or will I be getting a ~45% discount on my monthly iPhone hardware payment?!!
    The prices are with or without Applecare ( IUP )

Choose a payment option.

Choose a payment option.

Pay monthly with 0% interest. Or make a one-time payment. Either way, you can keep your carrier and rate plan.

Apple iPhone Payments $52.04/mo.
    for 24 mo.*
    Pay for your iPhone with low monthly payments Use Apple Card as your monthly payment method and get 3% Daily Cash†

Apple iPhone Upgrade Program $60.33/mo.
    for 24 mo.*
    Option to upgrade to a new iPhone every year AppleCare+ coverage included in your monthly payment Use Apple Card as your monthly payment method and get 3% Daily Cash†

watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 171
    dicebier1 said:
    If you're expecting annual upgrades to be riveting you'll likely be disappointed for life. Normal people don't upgrade every year, so it's no surprise the updates are the usual 50% processor improvements, camera improvements, etc. You just got an awesome phone last year, so no tears for you.

5G, when it arrives, just means faster loading web pages when not on wifi. Big whoop.
    Or cancer, depending on who you ask. 🤣
    StrangeDaysJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 171
    I'm an apple fan but I wish they would have just dropped price. The market data clearly shows that people are buying cheaper options. If they'd priced the iPhone 11 at $599, iPhone 11 Pro at $799, iPhone 11 Pro Max at $899, they would have turned more heads in the industry. They literally could kill off competition if they would release a solid $400-500 iPhone. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 50 of 171
    cladymon said:
    I'm an apple fan but I wish they would have just dropped price. The market data clearly shows that people are buying cheaper options. If they'd priced the iPhone 11 at $599, iPhone 11 Pro at $799, iPhone 11 Pro Max at $899, they would have turned more heads in the industry. They literally could kill off competition if they would release a solid $400-500 iPhone. 
    Maybe that was their plan...but...tariffs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 171
    eightzero said:
    Cameras cameras cameras. Cameras everywhere. Have they announced that I can use the portrait mode to take pictures of my dogs? Because I don't take pictures of humans. I take pictures of my dogs, and would like to have a use for portrait mode.
    Funny enough, but yes they did announce that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 171
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    gatorguy said:
    The much longer run time, 4-5 hours longer than last year's models, would imply that reverse charging might have originally been planned afterall as this morning's article suggested. 
    Looking forward to the ifixit teardown.  Would be nice to see that they have included the coils and could turn it on later with a firmware update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 171
    mobird said:
    I wonder if the iPhone 11 is capable of making telephone calls? I didn't hear anything mentioned regarding the ability to make phone calls...
    You just hit on a pet peeve since iPhone came out.  We have just 1 style of how the phone app looks and can’t customize it.  All this fuss about GPU and you can’t change how the phone app looks 😂. We can only hope for CHOICES in upcoming versions of iOS.
  • Reply 54 of 171
    jcs2305 said:
    The prices are with or without Applecare ( IUP )

Choose a payment option.

Choose a payment option.

Pay monthly with 0% interest. Or make a one-time payment. Either way, you can keep your carrier and rate plan.

Apple iPhone Payments $52.04/mo.
    for 24 mo.* Pay for your iPhone with low monthly payments Use Apple Card as your monthly payment method and get 3% Daily Cash†

Apple iPhone Upgrade Program $60.33/mo.
    for 24 mo.* Option to upgrade to a new iPhone every year AppleCare+ coverage included in your monthly payment Use Apple Card as your monthly payment method and get 3% Daily Cash†

Correct, but right above that is the question:  Do you have a Trade In, with a drop down menu to select the phone you are trading in.  When selecting my iPhone Xs Max, it drops the price of the equivalent iPhone Pro Max to ~$27/month.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 171
    sdw2001 said:
    As predicted.  An updated processor, jam another camera in, some improvements in speed and battery life.  All decent stuff for the best phone on the market.  But definitely not worth it for most people to upgrade if they have the previous model.  My Max will be with me another year.  
    My recollection from last year was shortly after the new stuff announcements, Apple got aggressive with their trade in offers. We might see that happen again. It was how they lured me to a Xr from my iPhone 7. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 171
    The midnight green reminds me of the Soviet brown of the Zune.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 57 of 171
    cladymon said:
    They dropped the price on the 11, which is the only one where that probably matters. The Xr is available still for less and your solid $400-500 iPhone is the 8. I don’t see the problem here. 
    StrangeDaysmdriftmeyerlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 171
    Welcome to what LG was already making in their V series for about a year. Five cameras was in 2018. Also Welcome to Android OLED world. Maybe this time all those iOS devices will not look yellow on display when put side by side with Androids. Well even 2010 iPad holds white balance better than newer Apple devices with no yellow tint (and still works on iOS 10)
    chemengin1
  • Reply 59 of 171
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    mobird said:
    I wonder if Safari will be faster? ;)

No 5G apparently.
    Did you expect 5G?
    The 5G on the iPhone 11 is matched perfectly to the current 5G availability. 
    Solifastasleepbeowulfschmidtmdriftmeyerlolliverelijahgdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 171
    Truth be told......this is just a holdover until 2020 period. Cheers to those who purchased AppleCare+ last year to hold us another year.
    edited September 2019