iOS 13 & iPadOS coming on Sept. 19 with iOS 13.1 on Sept. 30, Catalina in Oct.

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2019
Buried in releases for its array of products announced on Tuesday, Apple has made public the iOS 13 and iOS 13.1 release dates.

Apple's iOS 13 ha been in testing since the 2019 WWDC in June, and is required for the new iPad, the iPhone 11, and iPhone 11 Pro. The iOS 13.1 test began more recently, and contained features stripped out of iOS 13 to make the deadline for release.

Apple's iOS 13.1 restores Shortcuts Automation, Conversational Shortcuts, Maps estimated time of arrival sharing. Additionally, it brings along more options for lights in HomeKit, more animations in the Home app, and an improved volume indicator user interface.

Other changes include Family Sharing options for Personal Hotspot settings, AirDrop device icons, alpha channel options for HEVC encoding, and improvements to Accessibility USB mouse support.

Apple also said that macOS Catalina would arrive in October, but no date was specified.

On Tuesday, Apple announced a series of new products. Announcements include debut dates for Apple Arcade and Apple TV+, plus a new entry-level iPad, the Apple Watch Series 5, the iPhone 11, and the iPhone 11 Pro family.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Apple.com has iPadOS coming 9/30, not 9/19.
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 2 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    macOS Catalina in October MAY mean possible upgrade to Macbook/Air/Pro hardware..Finger cross.
    Soli
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Has a point released ever been released so close? 13.0, then 13.1 two weeks later?

I assume if I update to iOS 13, the new Reminders app will still sync with the "old" Reminders app on macOS?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Is there still no news on an Apple News+ launch in UK or elsewhere?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I don't understand this-
    The iOS 13.1 test began more recently, and contained features stripped out of iOS 13 to make the deadline for release.
    With iOS 13 in development for approximately one year, how did Apple find themselves bumping up against a release deadline? What "features" would have been added so late in the game? This doesn't sound like Apple as many have commented on in recent post with many observing that it being unheard of.
    cat52
  • Reply 6 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mobird said:
    I don't understand this-
    The iOS 13.1 test began more recently, and contained features stripped out of iOS 13 to make the deadline for release.
    With iOS 13 in development for approximately one year, how did Apple find themselves bumping up against a release deadline? What "features" would have been added so late in the game? This doesn't sound like Apple as many have commented on in recent post with many observing that it being unheard of.
    Apple has a long history of removing or delaying features that aren't ready. Even under Steve Jobs we had a promise of open-sourcing FaceTime and a promise of resolution independence for Mac OS X Tiger, only to be silently removed. There's nothing uncommon about this.
    h2p
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mobird said:
    I don't understand this-
    They weren’t added so late in the game, they were unfinished at the point where they literally had to start loading iOS onto iPhones to ship on time, so they were pushed back to a point release. Happens every year to some degree. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    djs71a said:
    Has a point released ever been released so close? 13.0, then 13.1 two weeks later?

I assume if I update to iOS 13, the new Reminders app will still sync with the "old" Reminders app on macOS?
    From what I have heard, no point beta iOS update has been released prior to a public iOS launch. Beta testing of iOS 13 has been a great experience.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    The big question is 13.2 or 14.0 next?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    You'd almost want Apple to wait 2 weeks and release 13.1 as the first one :) But I understand that would cause issues with their phone release, which is preinstalled with 13.0
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Soli said:
    mobird said:
    I don't understand this-
    Apple has a long history of removing or delaying features that aren't ready. Even under Steve Jobs we had a promise of open-sourcing FaceTime and a promise of resolution independence for Mac OS X Tiger, only to be silently removed. There's nothing uncommon about this.
    mobird said:
    I don't understand this-
    They weren’t added so late in the game, they were unfinished at the point where they literally had to start loading iOS onto iPhones to ship on time, so they were pushed back to a point release. Happens every year to some degree. 
    Thanks,

I guess I paid attention to the commentators too much that found it unfathomable that Apple would take these "unheard" of actions.

• Reply 12 of 13
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    mobird said:
    I don't understand this-

Only Apple knows what happened and why. But doesn’t have anything to do with features being added, more to do with not being able to finish something on time. It happens. It’s software development. And it doesn’t matter if it’s been a year or not. Very difficult to find issues until you get the beta out and have “outsiders” run it into the ground.

While it wasn’t a .X update, iOS 7.0.1 was released two days after iOS 7.0, and six days after that 7.0.2 was released.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    I'm excited to see & use the new iPad features. Hopefully it will make the iPad that much closer to truly being a laptop replacement. 

I normally wait for the first point release to upgrade, since any major OS upgrade has bugs in it that aren't uncovered until after it's released. Since they're already working on 13.1 does that mean I should wait for 13.2?