Apple debuts iPhone 11 Pro from $999 with triple rear camera

Comments

• Reply 81 of 171
    Looks like Apple’s night mode is more realistic. They didn’t mention it much on stage. I’m guessing that’s because others already have it. I like that both the 11 and the Pro get it. I like that it’s more realistic. Google’s looks like you turned on a light and then snapped the photo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 171

Basically, the dullest Apple keynote I can recall. I said some weeks ago that I expected one that was somewhere in the spectrum of ‘blah’ to ‘meh’: that turned out to be a wildly optimistic prediction.

Apple appears to be currently in a holding pattern vis-à-vis its products and services. Looking on the bright side, the stock was flat.

I’ll wait for 2020.

What a shock. Maybe next year you can delight and surprise us by not complaining so much in advance?
    Will do. Oh, I should have added (as I mentioned in another thread), the format of these keynotes is getting to be quite stale. It needs to be reimagined.

As an aside, what the heck happened to the 16" Mac, RFID trackers, etc?
    LOL, now the keynotes themselves aren’t innovative enough? “Reimagined” hahahaha what a joke. 

Nobody expected Macs today. Nobody knows the timeline on the Tag, for all we know that’s a 2020 product. October event with both these and iPad Pros is more likely. 
    After starting out fast the keynote dragged a bit. There wasn’t a ton to talk about with the Pro phones. Whip is why they spent so much time on the camera. 
    beowulfschmidtmuthuk_vanalingamllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 171
    Interesting how the final design looks so close to the rumored renders, yet at the same time not ugly. Proves how much it's all in the details.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see how good the camera bump looks, at least in the pictures, and the matte back will probably make it less slippery than the Xs, which has been a bit of an issue for me. I was never a fan of the X/Xs bump, and I know many will doubtless disagree but I think the new one looks way better.

But I am a little sorry to see that they are continuing the trend of making each generation incrementally thicker and heavier than the one it replaces. It’s not a big difference from year to year, but if you compare a new phone to one from a few years ago it’s significant. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 171
    dicebier1 said:
    dicebier1 said:
    Pretty much expected this.... nothing exciting......sort of like a lame duck year until 5G arrives.
    Will keep my iPhone XS Max for another year.
    If you're expecting annual upgrades to be riveting you'll likely be disappointed for life. Normal people don't upgrade every year, so it's no surprise the updates are the usual 50% processor improvements, camera improvements, etc. You just got an awesome phone last year, so no tears for you.

5G, when it arrives, just means faster loading web pages when not on wifi. Big whoop.
    Cmon man, A camera with a processor bump. Really?

I didn't expect much more as I stated in my post. 

You may post a lot but I'm sure many people would agree that LATELY (so you don't take it out of context) Apple's iPhones have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW
    You don't get Apple. It's almost always been evolutionary, not revolutionary. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up.

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html

...iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations. They're tools, they aren't designed to alleviate you of boredom on a Tuesday afternoon.

edited September 2019 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 171

Basically, the dullest Apple keynote I can recall. I said some weeks ago that I expected one that was somewhere in the spectrum of ‘blah’ to ‘meh’: that turned out to be a wildly optimistic prediction.

Apple appears to be currently in a holding pattern vis-à-vis its products and services. Looking on the bright side, the stock was flat.

I’ll wait for 2020.

What a shock. Maybe next year you can delight and surprise us by not complaining so much in advance?
    Will do. Oh, I should have added (as I mentioned in another thread), the format of these keynotes is getting to be quite stale. It needs to be reimagined.

LOL, now the keynotes themselves aren’t innovative enough? “Reimagined” hahahaha what a joke. 

Nobody expected Macs today. Nobody knows the timeline on the Tag, for all we know that’s a 2020 product. October event with both these and iPad Pros is more likely. 
    After starting out fast the keynote dragged a bit. There wasn’t a ton to talk about with the Pro phones. Whip is why they spent so much time on the camera. 
    I agree. Cook also hyped it a bit at the start saying how there was no time for updates since there was too many innovative new products services to talk about. Relative to that claim, it dragged mightily. Also, I felt there was way too much on gaming, and the XR camera stuff went on and on..

The biggest (and best) news to me was the $5 pricing for Arcade and Apple's streaming service. That is HUGE, and puts it at a remarkable price point that will make lots of people want to try.
    chemengin1llama
  • Reply 86 of 171

sdw2001 said:
    As predicted.  An updated processor, jam another camera in, some improvements in speed and battery life.  All decent stuff for the best phone on the market.  But definitely not worth it for most people to upgrade if they have the previous model.  My Max will be with me another year.  
    Normal people don't upgrade every year. Few do other than us phone nerds. Not doing so doesn't indicate anything out of the ordinary.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 171
    StrangeDays said:
    5G, when it arrives, just means faster loading web pages when not on wifi. Big whoop.
    I don’t understand your point. Faster internet access absolutely IS a big whoop. How and when it’s achieved are subjects of discussion, but the value of increased speed certainly isn’t.
    It really isn't. When I'm not on high speed wifi, it's hard to get real excited about Safari loading a web page faster sitting on the bus (if 5G even works in a bus, who knows). Seriously. It isn't that exciting. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 171
    StrangeDays said:
    I don’t understand your point. Faster internet access absolutely IS a big whoop. How and when it’s achieved are subjects of discussion, but the value of increased speed certainly isn’t.
    It really isn't. When I'm not on high speed wifi, it's hard to get real excited about Safari loading a web page faster sitting on the bus (if 5G even works in a bus, who knows). Seriously. It isn't that exciting. 
    If you think that 5G is about "faster loading web pages" you may need to read up a bit more on it.

I agree there was no need for an Apple 5G phone this year since the technology it's still a couple of years away. But by next year this time, it will probably be quite different, especially vis-a-vis someone who keeps their iPhones for a few years before upgrading.
    chemengin1muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 89 of 171

I’ll wait for 2020.

You've misunderstood the purpose of the keynotes -- it isn't to alleviate  boredom, it's to announce and demo new products and services. Visit a rollercoaster park if you're looking for something more exciting. 
    lolliverwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 90 of 171

I’ll wait for 2020.

I remember a Steve Jobs announcement keynote that consisted of a leather iPod sleeve and the iPod HiFI!
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 91 of 171
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member

I’ll wait for 2020.

You've misunderstood the purpose of the keynotes -- it isn't to alleviate  boredom, it's to announce and demo new products and services. Visit a rollercoaster park if you're looking for something more exciting. 
    The purpose isn't to provoke boredom either and that is where you misunderstood what he was highlighting.

One of my favourite keynote memories is of a Jobs era Mac presentation when he spoke about (IIRC) QuickTime streaming and then to prove his point he pulled back the curtain on a rack of a few dozen iMacs displaying the QuickTime streams.

The kind of by the seat of your pants demo where you get one shot and you live or die by it.

That's your keynote rollercoaster.
    edited September 2019 chemengin1anantksundarammuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 92 of 171
    ridyrat said:
    eightzero said:
    Cameras cameras cameras. Cameras everywhere. Have they announced that I can use the portrait mode to take pictures of my dogs? Because I don't take pictures of humans. I take pictures of my dogs, and would like to have a use for portrait mode.
    Actually, yes. Phil specifically mentioned that you can take portrait pics of your dog/pet.
    Cool! I was not able to watch, and I didn't see it reported here on AI. Requires new iPhone, or is that in the new iOS?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 171

edited September 2019
  • Reply 94 of 171
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dicebier1 said:
    dicebier1 said:
    Pretty much expected this.... nothing exciting......sort of like a lame duck year until 5G arrives.
    If you're expecting annual upgrades to be riveting you'll likely be disappointed for life. Normal people don't upgrade every year, so it's no surprise the updates are the usual 50% processor improvements, camera improvements, etc. You just got an awesome phone last year, so no tears for you.

You may post a lot but I'm sure many people would agree that LATELY (so you don't take it out of context) Apple's iPhones have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

What ever happened to "People don't know what they want until you show it to them?" Well we haven't seen something we don't already have in terms of iPhone in about three years. This should be called the iPhone Photographers Edition.

Hmmm....as far as your "annual upgrade" comment - iPhone 6 - 6s then 6s - 6s Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 8/8 Plus (really an iPhone 7 on steroids), then iPhone X - iPhone XS/XS Plus, Now a THIRD iteration of the iPhone X called the 11. 

SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW

Cheers mate
    There’s no helping you.
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 171
    dicebier1 said:
    dicebier1 said:

SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW
    You don't get Apple. It's almost always been evolutionary, not revolutionary. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up.

...iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations. They're tools, they aren't designed to alleviate you of boredom on a Tuesday afternoon.

Apple is the one who titled the event "By Innovation Only".  Personally I didn't see anything that would be considered innovative.
    ITGUYINSDchemengin1anantksundarammuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 96 of 171
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    OMG the MAX weighs half a pound!
  • Reply 97 of 171
    evilution said:
    Matthew C said:
    Lightning connector on a phone labeled as PRO, what is apple thinking!
    What's un-pro about Lightning? There are some very un-pro Android phones with USB-C.
    Ask Apple.

Apple pro devices with Type C as the only or primary port:
    iPad Pro
    MacBook Pro
    iMac Pro
    Mac Pro

Bonus: Macbook Air
    chemengin1
  • Reply 98 of 171

avon b7 said:

I’ll wait for 2020.

He is right. When you begin to see the 'formula' behind the presentation, it takes front row in your perception of the event. It does become 'stale'. I think that's a valid criticism and I think more people are seeing the formula.
    Nope. That's a made-up criticism for us nobody's on a web forum, who watch every single one of these for fun. The audience is journalists, who will disseminate the info, and enthusiasts, who want to know how the products work. That there is a formula to a rehearsed media event is of course obvious and expected, and second, irrelevant. These are office workers explaining their new projects to the world. Not being professional presenters they have to rehearse, it's not a big deal.
    lkrupplolliverwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 99 of 171
    StrangeDays said:
    If you think that 5G is about "faster loading web pages" you may need to read up a bit more on it.

I agree there was no need for an Apple 5G phone this year since the technology it's still a couple of years away. But by next year this time, it will probably be quite different, especially vis-a-vis someone who keeps their iPhones for a few years before upgrading.
    I've heard the hype -- so fast it's going to change everything. Yyyeaah. For most people, that means faster loading web pages on the bus.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 100 of 171

78Bandit said:
    dicebier1 said:
    dicebier1 said:

SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW

Apple is the one who titled the event "By Innovation Only".  Personally I didn't see anything that would be considered innovative.
    Ah yeah, 50% faster SOC for iPhones, not innovative. New LTPO always-on display on the Watch, with dynamic refresh cycles, not innovative. All the support systems them went over such as the ML engine or the low-power conservation systems, not innovative. Auto Night Mode on cameras, not innovative. Computation photography that takes 9 pictures and analyzes and composites every pixel, not innovative. etc

But hey, if they re-shaped the iPhone into a triangle, you'd be "ZOMG THAT'S INNOVATION!!"

LOL. What a joke. 
    tmaylolliverbrucemcwatto_cobra