The iPhone 8 is now $449 and the iPhone XR is $599

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Amidst the Tuesday bonanza of releases, Apple has restructured the low-end of its iPhone lineup, and is now selling the iPhone 8 for less than the iPhone SE cost at launch.

iPhone 8 Plus (left) versus iPhone XR (right)
iPhone 8 Plus (left) versus iPhone XR (right)

Without fanfare, Apple reduced the price on the 2018 iPhone XR. Previously $749, the iPhone XR has been cut $150 to $599. The iPhone XS has been discontinued, in the same manner that the iPhone X was culled after the release of the iPhone XS.

A price cut has also been applied to the two-year old iPhone 8. Prior to Tuesday's event, the iPhone 8 retailed for $599, and now it sells for $449 with the iPhone 8 Plus selling for $549. The iPhone 8 is Apple's last iPhone it sells new to retain Touch ID and a conventional Home button.

While rumors continue to circulate about an "iPhone SE 2," with the most recent resurrection on September 4, the most recent price cuts make that rebirth unlikely at least in the short term. Upon release a half-year after the iPhone 6S, the iPhone SE retailed for $499 -- $300 cheaper than the flagship -- with the same A9 processor.

Apple's announcements that preceded the pricing move on Tuesday include debut dates for Apple Arcade and Apple TV+, plus a new entry-level iPad, the Apple Watch Series 5, the iPhone 11, and the iPhone 11 Pro family.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    G O O D      J O B      T I M !
    Apple is covering the the full gamut of needs and pricing levels -- without sacrificing a thing -- including quality!
    Could ANYBODY ask for more?
    edited September 2019 racerhomie3muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 13
    The iPhone XR sold for $749. For some reason Best Buy often listed it at $799 if you didn’t use their payment plan?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Apple is covering the the full gamut of needs and pricing levels -- without sacrificing a thing -- including quality!
    A physically smaller phone?
    entropysatomic101bigtdsjony0
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

While rumors continue to circulate about an "iPhone SE 2," with the most recent resurrection on September 4, the most recent price cuts make that rebirth unlikely at least in the short term. Upon release a half-year after the iPhone 6S, the iPhone SE retailed for $499 -- $300 cheaper than the flagship -- with the same A9 processor.

I’m going to guess this is the last update - lucky number 13 - that will support the SE. So, I’m seriously hoping that haven’t completely given up on a smaller phone and we’ll see something released this Spring?

If not, I’ll be a sad panda. 😢🐼
    baconstangatomic101
  • Reply 5 of 13
    A physically smaller phone?
    Patience Grasshopper.   It's coming.
    baconstangCarnage
  • Reply 6 of 13
    To be fair the iPhone SE was $399 if you could get by with 16 GB of storage. ...and, you know, it wasn't a phablet.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    iPhone XR is not worth buying when you can get so much more with iPhone 11 for $100 extra. I would say just discontinue XR.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 8 of 13
    A price point for everyone. 

Everyone has had a cut off point. An extra 100 just might not be doable for some people and it’s good to have options. 
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamchiaavon b7
  • Reply 9 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    wood1208 said:
    iPhone XR is not worth buying when you can get so much more with iPhone 11 for $100 extra. I would say just discontinue XR.
    That is what Apple wants you to do. 
    The XR is a damn fine phone. I am just annoyed I had to buy 5 last month at the old price ( new work crew). 
    edited September 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    wood1208 said:
    XR colours are nicer and the features are oh umm so.... might not be just price.
    edited September 2019 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    No notch? (sorry, had to say it!)

Honestly, both the Xr and the 11 are really good buys.
    edited September 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 12 of 13

Now's a good time to pick up the iPhone 8 to round off my collection.

The XR will have to wait a little longer though!

• Reply 13 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    This is part of the move many of us have been suggesting for a long while now (among others). It should be applauded even if the price cuts didn't reach the very top end.

Apple is now truly is playing in a bigger pool and will be more competitive as a result. 

The iPhone 8 has seen a massive price drop.

If they switch it out early next year for a more full screen phone at the same price, the range will be even more competitive.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac