Here are the Apple TV+ shows that you can watch at launch, and what's coming soon

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
Apple TV+ is coming out on November 1, boasting an attractive $4.99 per month price tag and a lineup of top talent. Here is a quick look at the shows that will be available at launch and shortly after, updated on October 22 with information on "Foundation".

Announced at the September Apple Event, Apple TV+ will boast a wide range of shows for everyone from children to adults, including comedies, dramas, thrillers, documentaries and more.

Apple TV+ will be available for $4.99 a month, though if you buy new hardware, such as a new Apple TV, iPhone, or Mac, you'll get a year for free. Additionally, even if you don't own any Apple devices, you will be able to watch Apple TV+ from your favorite browser at tv.apple.com.

In a press release, Apple has highlighted some of the shows available at launch, and given us the titles and synopses of those to be available shortly after. While these are not the only shows that will be available at launch, it does offer a look into what Apple has in the works.

See

"See," starring Jason Momoa, had a new trailer featured at the Apple Event. The story is set 600 years in the future, after a pandemic has decimated the Earth's population and left the remaining humans blind. When the newest generation is born sighted, those without sight question what this will mean for their society.

The Morning Show

"The Morning Show," is a drama featuring Reese Witherspoon, Steve Carell, and Jennifer Aniston in her first TV role since "Friends." The show takes a look at the world of morning news and the ambitions of those involved in helping America wake up. "The Morning Show" is written and executively produced by "House of Cards" political consultant Jay Carson.

Dickinson

"Dickinson," is a dark comedy that explores the life of poet Emily Dickinson, played by Hailee Steinfeld. Five-time Emmy nominee Jane Krakowski, known for her rolls in "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" and "30 Rock" will co-star as Mrs. Dickinson, Emily's mother.

Stand-up comedian and "Saturday Night Live" writer John Mulaney will be playing the role of writer Henry David Thoreau in the show.

AppleInsider will be at the debut of the show at the Tribeca film festival in New York City.

For All Mankind

"What if the space race never ended?" Is the question asked by "For All Mankind." The series is set in an alternative reality where the United States had been beaten to the moon by the Soviet Union. The U.S. must now race to be the first to perform other space endeavors. The series is created by Ronald D. Moore, known for his work on "Star Trek," "Outlander," and his 21st century reboot of "Battlestar Galactica." The series stars Joel Kinnaman, Michal Dorman, Wrenn Schmidt, Shantel VanSanten, Sarah Jones, and Jodi Balfour.

Helpsters

A new series created by the makers of "Sesame Street", "Helpsters" follows Cody and a team of monsters who love to solve problems.

Snoopy in Space

A new original from Peanuts Worldwide and DHX Media, "Snoopy In Space" follows Snoopy and Woodstock on a trip with the gang to NASA. Snoopy and the Peanuts Crew take command of the International Space Station and explore space like never before.

Ghostwriter

"Ghostwriter" is a reinvention of the much-loved PBS original series. This time, it follows four kids who are brought together by a mysterious ghost who helps them release fictional characters from works of literature.

Elephant Queen

A documentary that follows the Matriarch of an elephant herd, described as "[a] cinematic love letter to a species on the verge of extinction." "The Elephant Queen" follows the herd on a journey of life, loss, and homecoming.

Untitled Oprah Winfrey Project

Oprah Winfrey joins up with Apple as she builds a global book club and other projects in hopes of connecting with those around the world. The project could potentially include interviews with famous icons as hinted at by Oprah herself earlier in the year.

Coming soon

While not available at launch, Apple has stated that more Apple TV+ originals will be added every month, including titles such as:

Servant

A psychological thriller from M. Night Shyamalan. "Servant" tells the story of a Philadelphia couple in mourning after a tragedy causes a rift in their marriage and allowing a mysterious force to enter their home.

Truth be Told

"Truth be Told" tackles America's obsession with true crime podcasts and shines a light on concerns about privacy, media, and race. The series stars Academy Award winner Octavia Spencer and Emmy Award winner Aaron Paul.

Little America

Inspired by stories featured in Epic Magazine, "Little America" showcases heartfelt, romantic, funny, inspiring, and surprising stories of immigrants in America.

The Banker

Inspired by a true story, "The Banker" follows two African American entrepreneurs working to overcome the racial limitations of the 1950s. The main characters, played by Anthony Mackie and Samuel L. Jackson, quietly try to provide housing loans to the African American community in Jim Crow Texas.

Hala

"Hala" follows a high school senior who struggles with being a teenager growing up in the suburbs with a traditional Muslim upbringing. The film received accolades at both 2019 Sundance Film Festival and 2019 Toronto International Film Festival.

Swagger

Inspired by NBA Champion Kevin Durant, "Swagger" features Winston Duke ("Black Panther," "Avengers: Infinity War") as a youth basketball coach and former player. The series explores AAU basketball in Washington D.C., focusing on themes of dreams, ambition, opportunism, and corruption. The series will be directed by Reggie Rock Bythewood, who wrote and produced the Fox miniseries "Shots Fired."

Foundation

Based on Isaac Asimov's novel series, "Foundation" will follow the saga of the Hari Seldon, a mathematician as he creates a new mathematical sociology that predicts an oncoming dark age and the fall of the Empire. Jarrad Harris ("Chernobyl," "Mad Men") and Lee Pace ("The Hobbit," "Halt and Catch Fire") will star, and David S. Goyer will serve as the showrunner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I just want to know one thing.  Am I forced to stream this content or can I download it first?  If streaming is the only option then I’m not interested.  Home internet connection is too slow.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    How does a service with just a few shows compare to Netflix or Hulu, which have thousands of titles? 

Apple TV should have become a streaming delivery platform for content providers to use. Kind of like a cable TV provider is a delivery platform for multiple content providers. This way, content providers could concentrate on the content and let Apple handle the technical issues related to streaming. 

Instead, Apple decided to become a content provider with their own streaming service. It’s clearly a dead end approach, as people will only be willing to have a limited number of streaming services. 

edited September 2019 apple ][ElCapitantrashman69
  • Reply 3 of 47
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    sirozha said:
    How does a service with just a few shows compare to Netflix or Hulu, which have thousands of titles? 

Apple TV should have become a streaming delivery platform for content providers to use. Kind of like a cable TV provider is a delivery platform for multiple content providers. This way, content providers could concentrate on the content and let Apple handle the technical issues related to streaming. 

Instead, Apple decided to become a content provider with their own streaming service. It’s clearly a dead end approach, as people will only be willing to have a limited number of streaming services. 

TV Channels, is exactly what you’re talking about.
    edited September 2019 lolliverronn
  • Reply 4 of 47
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I guess I'll try it out for a year since it comes bundled with a new hardware purchase.

That was smart of them - otherwise they wouldn't have any streamers at all.  Look how long it took Prime Video to ramp up.  I find myself going to it fairly frequently now.  
    Carnage
  • Reply 5 of 47
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    To be sustainable the back catalogue will be what matters. These shows are just something to attract entry.
    that said, I am interested in See, and for all mankind. Not much of the rest.

That Dickinson one looks like an alternate reality Emily. Where she isn’t a recluse. Emily reimagined. 
  • Reply 6 of 47
    sirozha said:

sirozha said:

Actually I think quality vs quantity is exactly the right approach. Used to be at least any NetFlix Original was guaranteed to be good to great. Netflix is now so full of crap it’s barely worth the hassle of bothering with. I would much rather subscribe to 10 really good shows with no crap content, then have to wade through the cesspool of mostly never should have been made crap that has to be waded through on a Netflix. I remember when I worked in London, UK in early 2000. Premium TV meant having 3 channels.... yes... just 3 good channels vs 300 channels of time wasting, can’t find anything , keep surfing hoping to find something that doesn’t suck... TV here in North America. Less is more when quality trumps quantity.
    lolliverronnAppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 47
    It’s impossible to know if $4.99 is an attractive price until we know what the full catalog looks like. If Apple thinks I’ll pay $5 a month for 15 shows, only 3 of which are interesting to me, they are insane.
    docno42lkrupp
  • Reply 8 of 47
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    It’s impossible to know if $4.99 is an attractive price until we know what the full catalog looks like. If Apple thinks I’ll pay $5 a month for 15 shows, only 3 of which are interesting to me, they are insane.
    Maybe that is why it comes free with Apple hardware.
    although it would be interesting how it will allocate that in the accounts.
    edited September 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 9 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Did no one actually listen to Cook when he announced this? He clearly said TV+, besides the original content, also includes access to other content like movies. Go back and play the announcement again. My take is that it will indeed include content similar to Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. As we all know, however, the included content on those services is not exactly current or Oscar worthy and consists of a plethora of B movies and screwy documentaries. 

I’m already a Amazon Primer subscriber. With TV+ @$4.99 and Disney @$6.99 that will be all I need in streaming services. Goodbye Hulu and Netflix. Tubi and Crackle have decent content once in awhile and they’re free with ads.
    edited September 2019 lolliverronnAppleExposed
  • Reply 10 of 47

Thats’ okay, millions will subscribe without you. To each his own but instead of trashing it now why not wait to see what it actually is.
    lolliverronncharlesgresAppleExposed
  • Reply 11 of 47
    This is also on Apple’s website...

"If you have an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV, you already have the Apple TV app — the ultimate way to watch Apple TV+. And this fall, we’re bringing the Apple TV experience to popular smart TVs, streaming boxes, and streaming sticks.”

That sounds like TV+ will be available on Roku,  Firestick, selected smart TVs, and  Chromecast.

ronn
  • Reply 12 of 47
    lkrupp said:

Thats’ okay, millions will subscribe without you. To each his own but instead of trashing it now why not wait to see what it actually is.
    That's likely the best general advice any time. $5 isn't much, but $60/yr is. Stuff adds up. I have my likes and dislikes, and when I see something I like, I'll buy it. I know some people sign up for a lot of things and don't sweat it. Fine. YMMV. But each person's value judgment is their own business. 

Gotta say that I value TV less and less. But that's just me...and makes me not ATV's target audience. I get it, and do hope Apple is successful. Here's to the Crazy Ones...
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Didn't Cook say AppleTV was launching in 100 countries? Now when you consider 100-150 million users minimum the first year, and $5 month subscription, that boggles the mind. Apple will do in a year what it took Netflix more than a decade...
    lolliverronnAppleExposed
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Continuing back of envelope: Year 2, more and better programming entices new subscribers to offset the free subscribers who don't renew. Apple attracts more talent and more top scripts more easily. Year 3: With bigger unique library, and possibly some Emmy or Oscar contenders, Apple raises price on subscriptions, possibly with an end view more in line with Amazon price.
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 47
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    JWSC said:
    I just want to know one thing.  Am I forced to stream this content or can I download it first?  If streaming is the only option then I’m not interested.  Home internet connection is too slow.
    From Apple’s site. 

New Apple Originals every month.

Always ad-free and on demand.

For up to six family members.

Download and watch offline.

4K HDR and Dolby Atmos.

ronnAppleExposed
  • Reply 16 of 47
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    So where is the new Apple TV unit And Gaming controller that DED predicted?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 17 of 47

So Spielberg's show is not at launch then.

• Reply 18 of 47
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    4.99 is way to expensive for the content they have.  On the other hand its a nice to have if you get it for free with the purchase of an apple product.

i only plan to pay for disney+ and we are 4 people sharing a netflix 4k subscription.  Not paying for anything else, maybe Amazon prime but we get more than just TV with that subscription.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 19 of 47

So Spielberg's show is not at launch then.

I didn't see anything about the rumored "Foundation" thingy either. 

herbapou said:
    4.99 is way to expensive for the content they have.  On the other hand its a nice to have if you get it for free with the purchase of an apple product.

i only plan to pay for disney+ and we are 4 people sharing a netflix 4k subscription.  Not paying for anything else, maybe Amazon prime but we get more than just TV with that subscription.
    Free is a good price for sure, but if you're not using the product (eg watching the shows) then maybe that price is no bargain either. Subscriptions only make sense if if you are constant consumer. I bought one month of HBO to watch Game of Thrones, value received. Even though each episode was chocked full of before and after ads, I saw nothing else I wanted, and cancelled promptly thereafter. You can't do that with the free year of course. It runs from the purchase - although I do wonder if you buy a $5 subscription...and then a few months later, but an new device. You get the year after that free, even if a current subscriber? How many free years can you get? Any subsequent purchase?
  • Reply 20 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    They literally need 100s of shows. A deal with some distributor is needed.