Apple debuts iPhone 11 Pro from $999 with triple rear camera

Comments

• Reply 141 of 171
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

StrangeDays said:
    5G, when it arrives, just means faster loading web pages when not on wifi. Big whoop.
    I don’t understand your point. Faster internet access absolutely IS a big whoop. How and when it’s achieved are subjects of discussion, but the value of increased speed certainly isn’t.
    It really isn't. When I'm not on high speed wifi, it's hard to get real excited about Safari loading a web page faster sitting on the bus (if 5G even works in a bus, who knows). Seriously. It isn't that exciting. 
    If you think that 5G is about "faster loading web pages" you may need to read up a bit more on it.

I agree there was no need for an Apple 5G phone this year since the technology it's still a couple of years away. But by next year this time, it will probably be quite different, especially vis-a-vis someone who keeps their iPhones for a few years before upgrading.
    I've heard the hype -- so fast it's going to change everything. Yyyeaah. For most people, that means faster loading web pages on the bus.
    Theres no arguing with ignorance.
    But there is arguing with boneheadery. What do most people do? Surf the web. Faster downloads on a bus (maybe) isn’t life shattering. You’ve fallen for the hype I’m afraid. They must love you at the dealership.  
    AR is a feature that's gonna rely heavily on 5G. And we all know how Tim Cook feels about AR.
    AR has been ‘coming’ for years. It hasn’t amounted to anything yet and I doubt 5G will make it amount to anything. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 142 of 171
    dicebier1 said:
    You get an evolution [revolution by any other vendor] of the guts and structure and much more with the iPhone 11 series [I'm going to get the MAX and let my 8 PLUS be a back up] upgrade and yet it is quite clear if you have a Developer subscription and checking out the hardware that this phone and watch hands down are miles ahead of their respective competition.

The software coming for the 11 Pro line to truly leverage the film making capabilities w/o breaking the bank is limited only by the limited imagination of the simpletons who still rave about my former boss, Steve Jobs, as if he would have offered something beyond the Moon today, when he would have just delivered the same products with more polish in the Keynote address.
    LMAO! Steve Jobs wouldn't have even let the notch at the top of the phone occur! 
    Steve Jobs has been dead for 8 years.
    StrangeDaysbrucemctmaywatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 143 of 171
    dicebier1 said:
    You get an evolution [revolution by any other vendor] of the guts and structure and much more with the iPhone 11 series [I'm going to get the MAX and let my 8 PLUS be a back up] upgrade and yet it is quite clear if you have a Developer subscription and checking out the hardware that this phone and watch hands down are miles ahead of their respective competition.

The software coming for the 11 Pro line to truly leverage the film making capabilities w/o breaking the bank is limited only by the limited imagination of the simpletons who still rave about my former boss, Steve Jobs, as if he would have offered something beyond the Moon today, when he would have just delivered the same products with more polish in the Keynote address.
    LMAO! Steve Jobs wouldn't have even let the notch at the top of the phone occur! 
    Steve Jobs has been dead for 8 years.
    Time to read more books than Walter Issacson's biography.  Becoming Steve Jobs, that's a good one, certainly good enough to throw "Steve would never done this" out of their mind.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 144 of 171
    dicebier1 said:

dougd said:
    A thousand bucks is just too much for a phone. Count me out
    Cool, get the regular iPhone, $699. Oh but you waaaant the Pro. 
    Just wondering....are you working as a PR rep for Apple? People....check his threads....its ridiculous, he critisizes anyone who doesn't drink every ounce of cool aid that is poured by Apple.

and as far as me "reading up" on Apple's history? Cmon man....

iPhone 1 was REVOLUTIONARY
    iPhone 4 was REVOLUTIONARY
    iPhone 7 was arguably the best iPhone made
    Biometrics was REVOLUTIONARY 

there were plenty of REVOLUTIONARY products released in the past 10 years so please show me a post where you don't defend anything that Apple shows you.

BTW don't EVEN call me a troll, I love Apple and their products and their ecosystem BUT I will call out when something deserves a yawn.

Apparently you won't
    Howdy, newbie. Nope, I don’t, and if you weren’t a drive-by-wonder, you’d know that already (I’m an enterprise software dev). As for my posts, I simply discuss the value of the tools I enjoy using. I often critique what I think are poorly reasoned opinions; aka whiners. Judging by my likes-to-posts ratio, people seem to like what I have to say. 

Sounds like you’re new to Apple. Iterative product development is the name of their game. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up:

...It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations.
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 145 of 171
    dicebier1 said:

Oh look, we have another one! Now tell us, dear sir, were you a close personal friends of Jobs, or are you able to commune with the dead? So many of you these past few years. 

Jobs released the puck mouse. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 146 of 171
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JMCKEVER said:
    64gb base in 2019 😂😂😂are you freaking kidding me , I’ll pass on this phone 
    Another way to look at it is last year’s $749 XR had 64 Gb and this year’s $749 11 has 128 Gb. So, double the capacity for the same price. Does that make you feel any better, or did you just want someone to hold your hand while you cry?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 147 of 171
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    MplsP said:

StrangeDays said:
    5G, when it arrives, just means faster loading web pages when not on wifi. Big whoop.
    I don’t understand your point. Faster internet access absolutely IS a big whoop. How and when it’s achieved are subjects of discussion, but the value of increased speed certainly isn’t.
    It really isn't. When I'm not on high speed wifi, it's hard to get real excited about Safari loading a web page faster sitting on the bus (if 5G even works in a bus, who knows). Seriously. It isn't that exciting. 
    If you think that 5G is about "faster loading web pages" you may need to read up a bit more on it.

I agree there was no need for an Apple 5G phone this year since the technology it's still a couple of years away. But by next year this time, it will probably be quite different, especially vis-a-vis someone who keeps their iPhones for a few years before upgrading.
    I've heard the hype -- so fast it's going to change everything. Yyyeaah. For most people, that means faster loading web pages on the bus.
    Theres no arguing with ignorance.
    But there is arguing with boneheadery. What do most people do? Surf the web. Faster downloads on a bus (maybe) isn’t life shattering. You’ve fallen for the hype I’m afraid. They must love you at the dealership.  
    AR is a feature that's gonna rely heavily on 5G. And we all know how Tim Cook feels about AR.
    AR has been ‘coming’ for years. It hasn’t amounted to anything yet and I doubt 5G will make it amount to anything. 
    AR is best employed as a wearable, or embedded, for example in a vehicle HUD, so even as Apple has been using iPhones and iPads as proxies for wearables, AR development at Apple is still moving forward at a rapid pace.

If Apple does deliver a wearable in the not too distant future, I still don't think that 5G would be of much benefit, assuming there isn't a cloud infrastructure well populated with AR objects and scenes for the user to download and interact with.
  • Reply 148 of 171
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    wallym said:
    Various price points, so that is good.  Wish they could push down to a lower price point on the low end, but that isn't the Apple way.
    You can get that from hundreds of sources on the gray market...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 149 of 171
    dicebier1 said:

Oh look, we have another one! Now tell us, dear sir, were you a close personal friends of Jobs, or are you able to commune with the dead? So many of you these past few years. 

Jobs released the puck mouse. 
    Steve Jobs has become an invincible shield for whatever their "disappointment".

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY TASTE STEVE THINKS THE WAY I DO.

Seriously, how about one just shut up and try it first?  I bet all of the Hater Analysists now don't even wanna touch one.  If they really hate the camera because it sucks at the competition, that any Androids simply blows it away, sure, but they probably never took any serious shots with it.  They don't care about the design quality and techs behind it, all they complain simply because it's not their taste.
  • Reply 150 of 171
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    I've been looking at the Spanish prices and configuration options. For the iPhone Pro series, I see them as being a hard sell at well over a thousand euros but what truly stands out and hits you squarely in the face is a non upgradeable starting storage option of just 64GB with no 128GB option to bridge to 256GB. If you consider 64GB woefully inadequate, there being no 128GB really makes the sale harder.

That one key factor takes the sheen off the pro label and adds another, upsell.

These 'pro' phones should start at 128GB - as a minimum.

muthuk_vanalingamllama
  • Reply 151 of 171
    avon b7 said:
    I've been looking at the Spanish prices and configuration options. For the iPhone Pro series, I see them as being a hard sell at well over a thousand euros but what truly stands out and hits you squarely in the face is a non upgradeable starting storage option of just 64GB with no 128GB option to bridge to 256GB. If you consider 64GB woefully inadequate, there being no 128GB really makes the sale harder.

Gee, and I can see that you were already to purchase, if not for that.  /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 152 of 171
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Being ready to purchase or not is irrelevant. It is an observation. Which one have you ordered?

If you want that Tri-camera you have been waiting so long for, you will have to choose between the 64GB or 256GB option. Apple has eliminated the option you (and many others) probably preferred. Will you bite on the 256GB option or will 64GB see you comfortably through the next three years?

Truly, it's a decision you shouldn't even have to make.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 153 of 171
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Being ready to purchase or not is irrelevant. It is an observation. Which one have you ordered?

If you want that Tri-camera you have been waiting so long for, you will have to choose between the 64GB or 256GB option. Apple has eliminated the option you (and many others) probably preferred. Will you bite on the 256GB option or will 64GB see you comfortably through the next three years?

Oh, I always wait until the initial rush is over and purchase directly at the Apple store that I pass on the way to Reno, and I'm definitely interested in the Midnight Green.

Storage I'm still undecided of, but I will be purchasing at least the 256GB tier, and likely by late October so that I can get the free Apple TV + subscription before the launch. If I wait to purchase a new iPad Pro until next year in late October, I'll get yet another free year of Apple TV +. 

The truth is, and many observers have already stated it, that the iPhone 11 Pro is the first cinematic smartphone (given the the Red Hydrogen One is a turd), and anyone that will be purchasing this will surely be using it for video and buying at least the 256GB tier.

Oh, and the price I'm looking at with 512GB, AppleCare+ and taxes, is just at $1849 U.S. dollars, which is $1.69 a day if I keep it for three years, and gift it to someone else. That isn't a big deal at all for a lifecycle cost, hence why Apple's payment plans are so useful to buyers. I'm likely to just pay it upfront as I don't really like to keep track of payments.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 154 of 171
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Oh, I always wait until the initial rush is over and purchase directly at the Apple store that I pass on the way to Reno, and I'm definitely interested in the Midnight Green.

Storage I'm still undecided of, but I will be purchasing at least the 256GB tier, and likely by late October so that I can get the free Apple TV + subscription before the launch. If I wait to purchase a new iPad Pro until next year in late October, I'll get yet another free year of Apple TV +. 

The truth is, and many observers have already stated it, that the iPhone 11 Pro is the first cinematic smartphone (given the the Red Hydrogen One is a turd), and anyone that will be purchasing this will surely be using it for video and buying at least the 256GB tier.

Oh, and the price I'm looking at with 512GB, AppleCare+ and taxes, is just at $1849 U.S. dollars, which is $1.69 a day if I keep it for three years, and gift it to someone else. That isn't a big deal at all for a lifecycle cost, hence why Apple's payment plans are so useful to buyers. I'm likely to just pay it upfront as I don't really like to keep track of payments.
    Don’t forget to add 25% to the base price on account of tariffs. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 155 of 171
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Don’t forget to add 25% to the base price on account of tariffs. 
    Yep. I had forgotten that.

I just have to purchase before mid December or so, and I'll avoid the tariffs.

Details;

15% tariff comes into effect on the 15th of December.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-tariffs/retailers-howl-as-u-s-trade-agency-locks-in-15-tariffs-on-sept-1-idUSKCN1VI1PG

Unfortunately, watches and bluetooth headphones have the tariff increase as of September 1.
    edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 156 of 171
    dicebier1 said:

dougd said:
    Just wondering....are you working as a PR rep for Apple? People....check his threads....its ridiculous, he critisizes anyone who doesn't drink every ounce of cool aid that is poured by Apple.

there were plenty of REVOLUTIONARY products released in the past 10 years so please show me a post where you don't defend anything that Apple shows you.

BTW don't EVEN call me a troll, I love Apple and their products and their ecosystem BUT I will call out when something deserves a yawn.

Apparently you won't
    Howdy, newbie. Nope, I don’t, and if you weren’t a drive-by-wonder, you’d know that already (I’m an enterprise software dev). As for my posts, I simply discuss the value of the tools I enjoy using. I often critique what I think are poorly reasoned opinions; aka whiners. Judging by my likes-to-posts ratio, people seem to like what I have to say. 

Sounds like you’re new to Apple. Iterative product development is the name of their game. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up:

...It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations.
    The theory that you’re a kool-aid drinking sheep because you never criticize apple when they release incremental changes some years, and use that to conclude that this means Apple doesn’t innovate anymore Since Steve Died™️ is rather peculiar to me, and falls into what I consider the “doomed” troll narrative. They’ve raised the bar so Apple must produce something “revolutionary” on some regular schedule or else—what? 
    tmayfastasleep
  • Reply 157 of 171
    dicebier1 said:

dougd said:

Apparently you won't

The theory that you’re a kool-aid drinking sheep because you never criticize apple when they release incremental changes some years, and use that to conclude that this means Apple doesn’t innovate anymore Since Steve Died™️ is rather peculiar to me, and falls into what I consider the “doomed” troll narrative. They’ve raised the bar so Apple must produce something “revolutionary” on some regular schedule or else—what? 
    They raised the bar of what?  Not like their points are any relevant.  I understand when people complaining about the price, but people here were just idiotic, they "knew" the camera sucks without using it.

But hey, everyone is a great designer.
  • Reply 158 of 171
    dougd said:
    You might think that, but I recently ran across a 'vintage' TV commercial for the 1971 Sharp EL-8 calculator, which actually named the price for one: $345. That translates to almost $2,200 in 2019, and it didn't have even one camera built in. Or a phone. Or a separate "equals" button. 
    SpamSandwichrattlhedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 159 of 171
    To sum up, re: predictable post-Apple-presentation trollery:

1. Yawn. Everything is just an incremental upgrade. The updates to existing devices were somehow not entirely new devices, so Apple no longer innovates.

2. [When new devices are actually announced:] What a pointless [iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Apple Watch, HomePod, etc., etc.] Nobody will ever want one of those. It's [underpowered, too expensive, lacks a physical keyboard, not serious, doesn't do anything anyone would want, isn't compatible with competing products, doesn't have a feature/component that gets added in an incremental (yawn!) update later, etc., etc.]

3. Steve Jobs is going to run the company into the ground with these crazy, expensive, unnecessary devices and (most of the time:) incremental updates.///Tim Cook is going to run the company into the ground because Steve Jobs is dead and Tim Cook can't innovate and introduce a revolutionary new product category every three months like Steve Jobs [never actually] did, and devices introduced under Tim's tenure are all DOA, and he just does boring incremental updates, etc., etc.

4. Apple is doomed to failure because they won't abandon their business model and chase profit share with cheap, low/no margin hardware, or merge iOS and macOS to make an Apple "Surface", or sell macOS or iOS to run on third-party devices, or release hardware with randomly cobbled-together bleeding-edge-spec-sheet components, or open up the hardware to random, user-installed bleeding-edge-spec-sheet components, etc., etc.

5. Et cetera, Et cetera.
    edited September 2019 tmaywatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 160 of 171
    AppleZulu said:
    dougd said:
    You might think that, but I recently ran across a 'vintage' TV commercial for the 1971 Sharp EL-8 calculator, which actually named the price for one: $345. That translates to almost $2,200 in 2019, and it didn't have even one camera built in. Or a phone. Or a separate "equals" button. 
    Yep. Inflation isn’t imaginary and it is destructive to the purchasing power of consumers.