Apple TV+ launches on November 1, for $4.99 per month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Pricing is phenomenal 4.99 !!!.. no brainer to me ,.. same with the arcade! šŸ˜ƒ
    lolliverAppleExposed
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gordlacey said:
    eightzero said:
    lkrupp said:
    eightzero said:
    $5 is tenable. But note the weasel words "starting at." Bet the 4K sub is more. Way more.
    I was listening to Cook when he announced the price and he said nothing of the sort. This article also states that new iPhone or Apple TV purchases get 1 year free but again I was listening to Cook and he included iPads and Macs. MacRumorsā€™ live feed confirms this so I have no idea where AppleInsider is getting its information but it is WRONG.
    The information actually is right. You do get a year free with the purchase of a new iPhone. When Cook announced the one year free, the graphic on the screen showed an iPhone, iPad, and a Mac. 
    Did it say "starting at?" Did Tim give any indication that it might be more? 
    My guess is that the higher price will be for the Family subscription.
    There is no higher price. AI got it wrong. Itā€™s $4.99 for a family subscription. 

Source: Tim Cook. 
    edited September 2019 llamalolliverwatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 23 of 43
    eightzero said:
    $5 is tenable. But note the weasel words "starting at." Bet the 4K sub is more. Way more.
    Maybe not, at least for the single (non-family) plan. Theyā€™ve got to worry about Disney. 

Apple ran that disclosed leak ($9.99) up the flagpole and got crucified in the forums. Result, today they announced $4.99/mo.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    gatorguy said:

$5 subscriptions is the new $10? I don't that companies other than the biggest techs and media companies could possible compete.  

Why not? Itā€™s not like people will be stuck with one service. Get tired of one service, cancel and subscribe to another. Content is extremely subjective, so most people arenā€™t going to stick around if they donā€™t like whatā€™s being offered.

I usually sign up for Netflix for a month, watch the few shows I like, and cancel. Wait several months and sign back up. 
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 43
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

gatorguy said:

By the way, I really did expect there was going to be that "one more thing". :/

Haha. So did I!

Was a good show, but nothing really piqued my interest. I was surprised seeing ļ£ætv+ and Apple Arcade, which I seriously thought werenā€™t going to be launched until the ā€œOctoberā€ event.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Roku, Netflix and Disney stocks all took a hit when Apple TV+ announced a lower monthly subscription fee
    watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 27 of 43
    $5 4k included makes me look at this. I might (might) be interested in the "Foundation" series they are making. If if looks good, I might (might) buy.

I'd consider a new 4k ATV if they'd change the remote. When I first got that remote, I thought I could live with it. I couldn't. Hardly ever use my ATV now. 
  • Reply 28 of 43
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Meh - not impressed as a stand alone service.  Signed up with the Disney+ Founders special (3 years for $140) mainly because it's Disney and the back catalog is enormous. If I were to do it, as some others pointed out I'd sign up for a month, binge watch a few shows and probably un-sub.  Just not enough there to justify a continual subscription.  

However what was brilliant is the "buy an Apple device and get a year free".  That was very smart.  As I said in another thread, look how long it took Amazon Prime Video to ramp up.  It has a much deeper catalog than Apple and was also included for free as part of another offering.  Streaming is about momentum and habits, so whoever came up with the bundle with hardware took a page from the Amazon playbook with an Apple spin - bravo!  AppleTV+ might not be stillborn after all.
    edited September 2019 applejakes
  • Reply 29 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gordlacey said:
    eightzero said:
    lkrupp said:
    eightzero said:
    I was listening to Cook when he announced the price and he said nothing of the sort. This article also states that new iPhone or Apple TV purchases get 1 year free but again I was listening to Cook and he included iPads and Macs. MacRumorsā€™ live feed confirms this so I have no idea where AppleInsider is getting its information but it is WRONG.
    The information actually is right. You do get a year free with the purchase of a new iPhone. When Cook announced the one year free, the graphic on the screen showed an iPhone, iPad, and a Mac. 
    Did it say "starting at?" Did Tim give any indication that it might be more? 
    My guess is that the higher price will be for the Family subscription.
    No higher price was mentioned. No ā€œstarting atā€ was mentioned. Tim Cook said it simply, ā€œ$4.99/moā€ 
    watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 30 of 43

jabohn said:
    lkrupp said:
    This article only mentions the iPhone and the ļ£æTV. it says nothing about the iPad and Macs. Tim Cook included both the iPad and the Mac so the above article is wrong by the error of omission. Purchasing a new iPhone, ļ£æTV, iPad, or Mac gets you one year of ļ£æTV+ free. 
    The article says "Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free." Maybe they updated if afterwards.

What I want to know is if I buy 2 new devices, do I get 2 years for free?
    The article you and i are posting in says no such thing. What article are you referring to because this one doesnā€™t say that at all? Appleā€™s website says $4.99 for up to 6 family members. No mention of ā€œstarting priceā€. Appleā€™s website says iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone, ļ£æTV, and Mac. AppleInsider is wrong on both counts and they have yet to update or correct this article. And people have latched onto the misinformation as the truth and turned it negative.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Do any of you see now how misinformation gets a life of its own? It's like telling a story around a campfire. By the time it gets back to the originator the story has completely changed.
    lolliverwatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 32 of 43
    jabohn said:
    lkrupp said:
    This article only mentions the iPhone and the ļ£æTV. it says nothing about the iPad and Macs. Tim Cook included both the iPad and the Mac so the above article is wrong by the error of omission. Purchasing a new iPhone, ļ£æTV, iPad, or Mac gets you one year of ļ£æTV+ free. 

Haha. Would be nice, but more than likely not.

Very smart of Apple though... tens of millions of people will be buying new Apple gear this Fall. Whoā€™s not going to sign up for a free year? 

If these shows turn out to be fairly good, itā€™ll be excellent word of mouth advertising. It may also help drive up adoption of ļ£æTV Channels subscriptions.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Can I assume that the $5 can be taken out of my iTMS account instead of charging a credit card? I like my 15% discount (I buy iTunes cards on sale) and going from $60 to $51 would make it more palatable since I'm a cheap bastard.
    docno42watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 34 of 43
    I think I am going to sign up for free subs since I am getting a new hardware (iPhone 11 Pro and prob ATV)  this year. But USD 5 is very cheap, since I paid $11 for Netflix.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 43
    eightzero said:
    There was not "starting at". I just rewatched the pricing portion and Tim simply said $4.99...and thats for a Family Subscription. There is no other pricing mentioned or even a hint that there would be. 
    watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 36 of 43
    mjtomlin said:
    jabohn said:
    lkrupp said:

Haha. Would be nice, but more than likely not.

Very smart of Apple though... tens of millions of people will be buying new Apple gear this Fall. Whoā€™s not going to sign up for a free year? 

If these shows turn out to be fairly good, itā€™ll be excellent word of mouth advertising. It may also help drive up adoption of ļ£æTV Channels subscriptions.
    And if the service takes off and rivals Netflix the naysayers here will claim itā€™s because of the one year free and that ļ£æTV+ is a failure. Thatā€™s how things work in the world of Apple haters.
    watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 37 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Great pricing (for this and Arcade) - Apple is clearly playing the ecosystem game:
    - Get people into the Apple TV app to watch this content plus sign up there  for other subscriptions.
    - More people and subscriptions in Apple TV app gives Apple leverage to pull more services in to offer it
    - Make Apple TV app THE prime way to subscribe  and access content.

Apple is introducing content over the course of many months (maybe throughout 12 months), so they are going to keep people interested and not likely to cancel (for those not buying new Apple h/w who would get it for free).  I read that Apple isn't likely to make all episodes available right away (like Netflix), but might do something like 3 episodes right away and then remainder introduced each week.  This is important to stop the churn of "sign-up to binge watch Stranger Things and other titles and then cancel".

Apple's ecosystem was greatly strengthened today...
    watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 38 of 43
    I laughed when I saw the free for a year to people who buy Apple Products, this is BLOODY BRILLIANT! This basically makes Apple TV+ a commercial with a several billion dollar price tag! How do you compete with piracy while still making money? Yeah, this model. Somebody buys a new AppleTV 4K? I did a quick google for "how many iPhones did Apple sell last year" I think for 2017 it said 46 million, imagine that Apple is going to give every one of those users an opportunity to have a free year long subscription to a streaming service with several unique interesting shows? It's free for the year, who cares, sign up. "Hey everybody, we added 46 million subscribers in our first year!"

Now obviously lots of iPhones will be sold to families so that number might be closer to 25 million. But then factor in Macs, and iPads? Apple sells a TON of Macs and a ton of iPads. And even if you're not buying a new iPhone this year, you might want a new Mac this year or a new iPad (I'm getting a new iPad Pro once they announce them.) Next year, somebody in our house is going to need a new phone, or a new Mac, or a new iPad. My family is literally never going to pay for AppleTV+ but we'll be happy subscribers.

Now who knows, MAYBE this is a limited time promo, maybe this is just to get people hooked and eventually they'll stop the free for a year thing. But I don't think they need to. Because legit, it might be smarter to just plan on paying $55 for a year. But if there's a good show on there, I'm gonna needle my friends to watch it, and they'll say, "I don't have that service" and my response will be, "Getting a new phone any time soon? Get an iPhone even an old one, and you get a subscription for a year."

This is the sort of promo that prompts people to buy new devices earlier than they might have. It prompts them to encourage their friends to buy. Plus people love getting something that's actually cool for free.

Plus they're tying it to the AppleTV app, so the more time people spend in that, the more that becomes the default way of finding content on the app, the more pressure that puts on Netflix to put their content in there. (Now I just wish Apple would take out the recommendations for iTunes video content, because I do not wanna pay 20 bucks to see a season of a show!)
    watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 39 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Dammit, the only new hardware I'm likely to buy soon is a new Apple Watch.  Why no free year for me? :(
  • Reply 40 of 43
    This and the Arcade were the most important parts of the Event for me yesterday. 10$ (and I hope soon 10ā‚¬) for both is just a no brainer. I guess they will take a loss in the beginning but once everyone is hooked, they can raise the Price to 7-8$ and it will still be a good deal for most.
    watto_cobraAppleExposed