Apple unveils new Apple Watch Series 5, with always on screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    razorpit said:
    I was expecting to hear something in regards to a body temperature sensor. No rumors mentioned that, but I thought it would be useful for things like sleep tracking. Speaking of which I missed the keynote. Was there any talk of sleep monitoring like a lot of people thought there was going to be?
    Nope.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    cornchip said:
    IMO Watch stole show. nice update. iPhone was almost all camera. nice but boring. I tuned in a little late did they even talk about iOS?
    Nope. Didn’t say when it’ll be released but it can’t be later than next Friday Sept 20 since all the new devices with iOS 13 preinstalled are in the stores then.

update: iOS 13 released Sept 19, 13.1 Sept 30.
    edited September 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 50
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    I have the Series 0 Apple Watch and it has served me very well and it still does everything it did when it was new. The battery still makes it through the day. The Series 4 tempted me but I held out just in case the Series 5 was even better. My wait is over. 
    StrangeDaysdocno42lolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Can’t wait to order this bad boy!  Hopefully there’s a GPS model in Stainless or Titanium 
    Nope only Aluminum offers both. All others are only GPS+Cellular.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Definitely a non upgrade to the Series 5 from the Series 4.  Not enough to warrant it.  While the always on screen is nice, the fact that an aluminum Series 4 is only worth $100 as a trade-in?  I got over $200 for my Series 3 to 4 last year from Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 50
    RoxTarRoxTar Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Pretty low key fall for Apple. No upgrades for my this year. I still have the Series 3 and probably will for another 1-2 years unless it breaks. Personally not a fan of the "always on" since it doesn't matter if I'm not looking at it. Anyway, for those upgrading, enjoy your new toys. :)
    chemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Love the always on feature! Sliver Nike lte for me.. selling my 4 on ebay should net to about 300 ish..... well worth it for me !
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 50
    razorpit said:
    I was expecting to hear something in regards to a body temperature sensor. No rumors mentioned that, but I thought it would be useful for things like sleep tracking. Speaking of which I missed the keynote. Was there any talk of sleep monitoring like a lot of people thought there was going to be?
    No mention of sleep monitoring. Maybe next year?
    razorpitAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 50
    dewme said:
    I have the Series 0 Apple Watch and it has served me very well and it still does everything it did when it was new. The battery still makes it through the day. The Series 4 tempted me but I held out just in case the Series 5 was even better. My wait is over. 
    I'm in a similar boat with a Series 1 which is (knock on wood) working well.   I was thinking of upgrading to a series 5 but might put the money towards an iPad instead and try to hold off another year.   But, we'll see.  I'm in a good spot and not jumping into anything quickly.

(Thanks Apple for making great products so I can decide what I want to do rather than being forced into a decision).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 50
    I didn’t see mention of it, but I assume Theater Mode shuts down the always-on display on the new watch.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 50
    No word on the processor?
    They have changed the name of the chip. It's now "S5 with 64-bit dual-core processor" 
    https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

While the Series 4 Watch has "S4 with 64-bit dual-core processor" chip. 
    https://support.apple.com/kb/SP778

Architecture difference between these two S4 & S5 chips hasn't been shown in the keynote. It seems unlikely whether actually there is any difference otherwise Apple would have highlighted it. 
    edited September 2019 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 50
    ralphie said:
    Still only 18 hours in an Apple “day”.
    Yes they assume you sleep at night, it's fine. In my experience it gets more, can go 1-2 days.
    docno42lolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 50
    ralphie said:
    Yes they assume you sleep at night, it's fine. In my experience it gets more, can go 1-2 days.
    It’s pretty clear Apple surveyed many users and the existing battery life is fine for nearly everyone. It’s not an issue for me. And that people want features (eg always on) over longer battery life.
    docno42lolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 50
    So now on the Apple website I can order either a Series 5 or Series 3. What happened to Series 4? I wanted a lower price on an ECG capable watch, but that's not possible now.

• Reply 35 of 50
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    bigtds said:
    Cool watch but 18hrs battery life is still pretty bad. 
    Not at all - I never wore watches to bed - mechanical or otherwise.  Instead of putting a mechanical watch in a stand I put my Apple Watch in its stand and it charges well before I awake.  If you wan't something you can wear continuously then you will have to switch to devices that don't offer as much functionality.  And if you don't need/want the functionality the Apple Watch offers there's nothing wrong with using any of the other alternatives including wearing a mechanical watch or no watch at all.  

For me the Apple Watch does exactly what I want and more - it's a remote screen for my phone, a silent and reliable way to get notifications and the bonus for me is the health tracking.  Certainly not why I was originally interested in, but now consider mandatory functionality.  

I was a bit disappointed there were no new health sensors and instead we got a compass - meh.  I suppose if you often leave your phone behind, especially for the cellular watch users, it could be a compelling feature.  Nice to see them still iterating.  

The always on screen was a nice surprise - and that affects battery too.  I'm amazed they think they can keep the same runtime despite adding a significant drain with the screen (even with the tricks it's still a significant new draw on power!).
    lolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 50
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    So now on the Apple website I can order either a Series 5 or Series 3. What happened to Series 4? I wanted a lower price on an ECG capable watch, but that's not possible now.

Other sites like BestBuy still have them - better  get 'em while they last!  Also don't forget Apple refurbs.  I've bought LOTS of refurbished Apple gear over the years and never had a problem with them treating it differently on the rare times I needed support. 
    edited September 2019 GeorgeBMacllamaAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 50
    maestro64 said:
    eightzero said:
    The Series 4 is gone. Wonder what that will do to the resale value? And whether Apple will be offering trade-ins (ups.) 
    yes apple allow trade-in on the watch like they do for the phone.
    How much do I have to pay Apple to take my Series 0?
  • Reply 38 of 50
    ralphie said:
    In my experience, saying that something does less than what it is actually capable of doing also reduces customer complaints.
    lolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 50
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    No word on the processor?
    How does that matter?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 50
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

bigtds said:
    Cool watch but 18hrs battery life is still pretty bad. 
    They have always said 18 hours since the first model, even though since S3 one can relatively easily get 2 days of use...
    watto_cobra