Protect your AirPods and Beats cans with Apple's new 'AppleCare+ for Headphones'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Tuesday added a new aftermarket service option for its quickly expanding line of headphones. Called "AppleCare+ for Headphones," the extended warranty adds two years of coverage and two incidents of accidental coverage for a fairly reasonable price.

AppleCare+ Headphone

Available for purchase through the online Apple store, AppleCare+ for Headphones offers the same two-year, two-incident coverage of other AppleCare+ offerings for a one-time fee of $29.

When purchased within 60 days of a qualifying headphone, such as AirPods or Powerbeats Pro, Apple's hardware repair coverage moves from the usual limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support to a total of three years with anytime "priority" support. In addition, the extended warranty allows for two cases of accidental damage, with each repair or replacement costing $29 plus taxes.

Repair, replacement, parts and labor are covered by AppleCare+ and can be applied to AirPods, Beats earphones or Beats headphones, internal batteries and the included USB charging cable. Apple notes batteries that retain less than 80% of their charge qualify for service. Customers looking to file a claim can mail their device in to Apple or take it to a nearby Apple store or authorized service provider. Like more expensive AppleCare+ plans for iPhone and iPad, Express Replacement Service is an option.

The new AppleCare+ plan is available for AirPods, Beats EP, Beats Pro, Beats Solo3 Wireless, Beats Studio3 Wireless, BeatsX, Powerbeats Pro and Powerbeats3 Wireless.

Apple's decision to offer a premium warranty service option for its smallest wearables is a welcome change, especially considering past complaints over AirPods battery life. Unfortunately for those who replaced their dead or dying headphone battery, or simply bought a new pair, AppleCare+ cannot be applied retroactively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Looks like battery and damage only though right?  Doesn’t cover loss, right?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    How would they know you’ve actually lost it, rather than just trying to get a free one?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Rayz2016 said:
    How would they know you’ve actually lost it, rather than just trying to get a free one?
    Insurance fraud is a federal crime. 

Apple would be in the same boat as renters/home owners insurance in the USA.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Wow. This article shows up on the same day my trusty Beats X died. Maybe I will get this with whatever I replace them with, although I don't know what that will be yet. I've passed up air pods twice because of the lack of a physical volume control. I really like the power beats pro but the case isn't pocket friendly. Anyone know if you can just put them in a pocket sans the case and not have them connect and drain the battery? I could just get another set of beats x, but many of the reviews seem to match my experience -- they stop working after a few months to a year. Decisions, decisions...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sandor said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Insurance fraud is a federal crime. 

Apple would be in the same boat as renters/home owners insurance in the USA.
    Except that it's much easier to prove that someone's house hasn't actually burnt down than it is to prove that they're hiding a set of AirPods.

Practically speaking, Apple doesn't insure against loss because it would cost them millions in untraceable fraud.