Facebook warns users of iOS 13 location tracking permissions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    spheric said:
    jbdragon said:
    spheric said:
    Hahahaha fuck you. 

I like how they explicitly say: "Even if you DISable our location tracking, we will still do everything we can figure out where you are by any means possible." 

Good thing then that I deleted that crap from my iOS devices!!!!
    You think they won't try whatever they can through the browser?  Hah. 
    Even if I don’t visit facebook.com?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    macseeker said:
    Two things:

1.  The babies are crying, the babies are crying.

2.  facebook already knows where the user is.  They have the IP address from the user.  No matter where one is logged in, they have the IP address.
    Why can’t Apple provide the User option of forcing selected apps to be pushed to a VPN that User selects. If FB mouse wants cheese feed it location Dara from VPN or cycle to Apple VPN. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 23
    longfang said:
    spheric said:
    jbdragon said:
    spheric said:
    Hahahaha fuck you. 

I like how they explicitly say: "Even if you DISable our location tracking, we will still do everything we can figure out where you are by any means possible." 

Good thing then that I deleted that crap from my iOS devices!!!!
    You think they won't try whatever they can through the browser?  Hah. 
    Even if I don’t visit facebook.com?
    Absolutely.  You do know all those little thumbs-up icons you see on practically every web site, have facebook code behind them, running in your browser, right?  Unless you take other active measures, those little thumbs are tracking all your web site visits around the internet, passing them to facebook, where they're correlated with all the other information they have from many other sources.

You might think "but they don't know who I am, based on that info", but for most people that's just not true.  They know your IP address, they can use browser fingerprinting, etc., and they can correlate those data with all kinds of other stuff they get from lots of other sources, like offline data brokers.

Most people don't have the technical knowledge (or diligence) to prevent all this tracking, which is really an abuse of power.