iPhone 11 Pro & iPhone 11 Pro Max -- Hands on and first impressions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    So the new PRO now at Apple means "a little bit extra features" to justify this huge price tag?

I don't like where this Apple boat has been steering in the last years, it's crazy.

And also what is Apple Design doing lately? That triple camera design looks like from a students prototype class.
    rinosaur
  • Reply 22 of 55
    k2kw said:
    I think it is great that Apple lowered the Price of the iPhone 11 from the iPhone XR.   I think it will motivate many to upgrade.   Now is DED going to do an editorial attacking Tim Cook for lowering the Price.   I imagine they couldn’t lower the price of the 11Pro because of what they pay Samsung for the OLED screen.
    But the storage still starts at 64GB. The latest Galaxy phones as well as Huawei’s flagship phones all start at 128GB.
  • Reply 23 of 55

jume said:
    So the new PRO now at Apple means "a little bit extra features" to justify this huge price tag?

I don't like where this Apple boat has been steering in the last years, it's crazy.

And also what is Apple Design doing lately? That triple camera design looks like from a students prototype class.

Um, the “Pro” phones are the same price they were last year (in the US at least). And that camera design is based on what’s needed to best make the camera system work. It’s why you’re going to see something similar from Google when they announce their new phones. Of course Google’s look like they were just bolted on.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 55
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    rinosaur said:
    That camera design is absolutely atrocious... Apple design really going downhill :neutral: 
    What alternative design did you have in mind ?  What design should they have used to not look like what Huawei and Samsung have on the market ?  To go as far as to call it atrocious you must have had a better design in mind ..no ?  

From all all the leaks leading up to release I didn’t know if I liked the design as well. Seeing the finished product and now some hands on review videos it looks clean and a lot better than I thought. 😎
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Yawn
    I need a better phone, not a computer, not a tracker
    better battery , rugged , not burdened by complications that drift attention far from the tasks at hand
    Privacy
    without "features" that only add complexity.
    Get the core solid
    it ain't
     I don't walk around staring into my hand , like Narcissus into the pond.
    Go back to the Design philosophy you abandoned years ago.
    You are high on your own gas

It’s amazing how the avatars that the AI forum software chooses for some posters is so appropriate. AppleInsideOutsider’s (AIO) is just as appropriate for him/her as mine is for me.

As for needing a better phone, there are plenty of choices out there. No-one forces you to buy a 2019 iPhone. As many have noted, a flip phone sounds like the go for AIO. Maybe one of those feature Nokia phones would fit right up his/her alley. 

Much cheaper than iPhones or Pixels or Samsungs. Much less melodrama needed, too.

Oh well, to each their own. Good luck. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 55
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    I think it is great that Apple lowered the Price of the iPhone 11 from the iPhone XR.   I think it will motivate many to upgrade.   Now is DED going to do an editorial attacking Tim Cook for lowering the Price.   I imagine they couldn’t lower the price of the 11Pro because of what they pay Samsung for the OLED screen.
    But the storage still starts at 64GB. The latest Galaxy phones as well as Huawei’s flagship phones all start at 128GB.
    That's not fair because the Galaxy phones are probably better just because of the QualComm modem.    I guess Apple just couldn't get QC in time and had to stick with the crappy Intel.   Cook has hurt the phone so bad with his failed game of intimidation and bullying.   
    avon b7
  • Reply 27 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    stoneyg said:
    Yawn
    better battery , rugged , not burdened by complications that drift attention far from the tasks at hand
    Privacy
    Get the core solid
    it ain't
    Curious what in your opinion is needed for a better "phone." I can't think of many improvements that are left for phone functionality, but I could missing your point.
    I have a long list of desires for future iPhones (HW, SW, and services) and I'm leaning toward holding onto my iPhone 7 Plus for another year (or until I break it), and yet I can also see how this iPhone is an amazing YoY advance in technology. It's funny how some people feel so entitled that if a product doesn't check off every personal box they deem it a failure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 55

bluefire1 said:
    Yawn
    Privacy
    Get the core solid
    it ain't
    Agree for the most part. I can’t imagine Steve Jobs ever approving a camera protrusion that looks like that.
    Why do you believe that Jobs would have simply let the competition get ahead of Apple in smartphone photography so that the camera could remain flush? Note that the camera bump arouse while Jobs was at the helm.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 55
    I've never been one to say, "If Steve were still here,..." but I look at the clunky camera bump on the back of this, and I wonder if it would have passed his notoriously rigourous minimalist aesthetic. Would there be a more subtle solution if the designers had been more pressed? That said, the function of the hardware and the ease of use appear to be pretty strong.
    rinosaurwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 55
    k2kw said:
    Why does it matter what it starts at? Find the device that suits your needs, which includes capacity, and then run a cost-benefit analysis to see if the device is worth it to you.

I help a lot of friends and families with their tech purchases. This mean that I look at their usage to determine their current capacity and then I take into consideration a healthy personal usage and OS increase growth over the next 1–4 years, depending on how likely they are to upgrade. Most of them are perfectly supported by a 64 GB model. Personally, I'm only using 22.48GB (which includes iOS 13.1b3).
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 55
    this phone is beyond ugly ill pass
    rinosaurchemengin1
  • Reply 32 of 55
    A trillion operations per second. On a phone. I remember when the G4 came out and it was classed as a supercomputer as it could do a billion per second. A thousand times more from a phone. 
    The 20 years ago version of me didn't see that coming.
    radarthekatcapt. obviouswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 55
    . . .
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 34 of 55
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    bluefire1 said:
    Yawn
    Privacy
    Get the core solid
    it ain't

Agree for the most part. I can’t imagine Steve Jobs ever approving a camera protrusion that looks like that.  Overall, I was disappointed. As the singer Peggy Lee once sang, “Is that all there is?”. In the years after 2007, Apple could get away with this super modest upgrade, but the competition has clearly caught up. I’ll get the new Apple Watch 5 but sadly will wait until 2020 to get my next iPhone.
    Once again, what makes you think it was ever intended for everyone to upgrade every year?   While Apple would certainly be happy if you did so, do you buy a new TV or a new car or a new toaster every year?    The upgrade is not designed for people who bought last year's phones any more than the 2020 Hondas (which are almost the same as last year's Hondas) are designed for people who bought the 2019 or 2018 models.   The new phones are primarily designed for people who own older phones (like me, with an iPhone 6, although I'll probably wait another year.)

As for the camera protrusion, you'd rather it didn't protrude but had inferior performance?   How often do you look at the back of the phone?  My view is that Apple has spent far too much effort making phones look nice rather than perform practically in spite of the fact that most people keep their phones in a case (because one drop and the phone is usually gone).    I can't tell you the number of times I've noticed someone using a phone without a case and thinking, "that's a really nice looking phone - maybe I should upgrade" and then realizing I had the exact same model, but mine's in a case.   

In fact, I'm hoping that with Ive gone, Apple gets a little more practical and a lot less obsessed with thinness (like the "social X-rays" that Tom Wolfe described in "Bonfire of the Vanities".   I'd much rather have a thicker phone or thicker MacBook Pro that got far longer battery life.   There aren't too many different ways one can design three lenses of a given size to look on the back of a phone.   Much ado about nothing, IMO.   You must really hate the way "real" cameras look.  

And exactly what part of the "phone" part of the iPhone doesn't already work quite well?    The only thing I can think of (and I believe it's already been corrected on more recent phone models) is that I find the speakerphone in my old iPhone 6 to be too low, especially when driving and there's road noise.  
    muthuk_vanalingamradarthekatcapt. obviouswatto_cobraDeelron
  • Reply 35 of 55
    jumejume Posts: 209member

jume said:

And that camera design is based on what’s needed to best make the camera system work. It’s why you’re going to see something similar from Google when they announce their new phones. Of course Google’s look like they were just bolted on.

Its so pathetic and funny to see this. When Huawei launched a triple camera phone everyone was laughing at it. And now Apple puts one out and it's the best thing ever happened to a phone. BTW looking from the design angle on triple camera I think Huawei has made it looking much batter than Apple:

• Reply 36 of 55
    jume said:

jume said:

And that camera design is based on what’s needed to best make the camera system work. It’s why you’re going to see something similar from Google when they announce their new phones. Of course Google’s look like they were just bolted on.

Its so pathetic and funny to see this. When Huawei launched a triple camera phone everyone was laughing at it. And now Apple puts one out and it's the best thing ever happened to a phone. BTW looking from the design angle on triple camera I think Huawei has made it looking much batter than Apple:

So this Huawei phone shoot better pictures?
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 37 of 55
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Yawn
    Privacy
    Get the core solid
    it ain't

Whereas I actually want a computer in my hand.  Who wouldn’t?  Oh, maybe a Luddite or a person with little imagination.  But that’s not me.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Yawn
    Privacy
    Get the core solid
    it ain't

Whereas I actually want a computer in my hand.  Who wouldn’t?  Oh, maybe a Luddite or a person with little imagination.  But that’s not me.  
    I thought they're the computer in your hand.

Or he's talking about real phones only... "better battery, rugged & not burdened by complications".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 55
    jume said:

jume said:

I never said any such thing. Why do you think this design is better?

Here’s an actual picture of the phone (not CGI). Why is it better?

edited September 2019 Solitmaywatto_cobraDeelron
  • Reply 40 of 55
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    DuhSesame said:
    jume said:

jume said:

So this Huawei phone shoot better pictures?
    To many people's eyes, yes. And that (Mate 20 Pro) isn't Huawei's 'photography' phone (that's the P series).

Beyond 'better', Huawei flagships give you far greater versatility than any iPhone on the market and have done for a fair while. Yesterday's iPhone announcements are a late step in the right direction but few would argue that it has been Huawei that has shown the way over the last few years (and not only in photography).

Currently the P30 Pro is one of the best photography phones on the market.

The Mate 30 Pro arrives in just over a week.

It is true that a few people here tried to write off the tri-camera set-up as some kind of gimmick. The same went for low light photography. 

As for design, that's a personal thing but I am confident that most people prefer the Huawei designs and by a large margin.

In my book the Mate 30 Pro will also be very well liked.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidphelan/2019/09/04/huawei-mate-30-pro-leaked-images-show-jaw-dropping-design/#12801a5461c2

The most important thing is that the competition is heating up and that should be good for consumers.

muthuk_vanalingam