Editorial: Apple just told you that they aren't going to make an 'iPhone SE 2' any time so...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    I find people are conflating smaller phone with lesser price. The rumored iPhone 12, A14, 5.4 inch model will be smaller in physical size than the iPhone 8, and not much larger than an SE. The price will be $999. A low cost model with an A13 mimicking the iPhone 8 in size, but in an all aluminum casing, like the SE, for $349 is a real possibility for next spring. Those wanting a smaller phone will get it, but will pay the premium price. The smaller premium phone makes perfect sense. Currently, the three premium phones are projected to be, in terms of sales numbers, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro Max, followed by the iPhone 11 Pro. By making the iPhone 12 Pro smaller, Apple can get a significant bump in demand for that phone. This is very clever.
    You bring up a good point.  At least from my foxhole, I would definitely pay a more premium price for a premium quality small phone.  
    baconstang
  • Reply 42 of 64
    I definitely want the SE because:

-it was built really well
    -it has awesome battery life
    -it has a very strong processor (forgive me I’m sure that’s not the correct terminology)
    -it fit in my small purse
    -it is light (holding phones is truly uncomfortable for me, so the lighter and more ergonomic the better)

—-Most importantly—-  It had a headphone jack.  As a musician, this is imperative.  I do not and will not be using bluetooth speaker or speakers requiring apps that require new devices.  How terrible for our environment.

on the flip side, I don’t mind a big screen since I don’t have a tablet, and use my phone to read.

i wish I had repaired my iphone4 screen and then gotten the money for when apple was throttling the phone, but I had already bought a new phone because I needed the GpS to work (the throttling made  the app lag so much I missed every turn)
    by throttling I mean when they made the older phones go slower and then got caught and had to pay people back.

instead, I bought the iphone 7 and I am constantly frustrated with it:

I will definitely be looking at other brands because I cannot keep buying and losing dongles and not being able to find them and taking the time to look for them and not being able to Stream music through my speakers, as well as not being able to charge the phone while I listen to music.

and don’t tell me to go bluetooth because I prefer wires to whatever chemicals or radiation that might possibly be exposing me to.  And that is not conspiracy, these devices do contain some scary shit, just look it up, because the kids in the third world countries are the ones who have to break them down when they are being disposed and it is not good for our earth or for people.
    ken burns effectbaconstang
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

-it has a very strong processor (forgive me I’m sure that’s not the correct terminology)
    -it is light (holding phones is truly uncomfortable for me, so the lighter and more ergonomic the better)

—-Most importantly—-  It had a headphone jack.  As a musician, this is imperative.  I do not and will not be using bluetooth speaker or speakers requiring apps that require new devices.  How terrible for our environment.

on the flip side, I don’t mind a big screen since I don’t have a tablet, and use my phone to read.

i wish I had repaired my iphone4 screen and then gotten the money for when apple was throttling the phone, but I had already bought a new phone because I needed the GpS to work (the throttling made  the app lag so much I missed every turn)
    by throttling I mean when they made the older phones go slower and then got caught and had to pay people back.

I will definitely be looking at other brands because I cannot keep buying and losing dongles and not being able to find them and taking the time to look for them and not being able to Stream music through my speakers, as well as not being able to charge the phone while I listen to music.

and don’t tell me to go bluetooth because I prefer wires to whatever chemicals or radiation that might possibly be exposing me to.  And that is not conspiracy, these devices do contain some scary shit, just look it up, because the kids in the third world countries are the ones who have to break them down when they are being disposed and it is not good for our earth or for people.
    The bolded part didn't happen the way you think it did. Apple didn't pay anybody, anything. Bluetooth isn't exposing you to anything more than your house wiring is.
    edited September 2019 emilykollarsmuthuk_vanalingamStrangeDays
  • Reply 44 of 64

The bolded part didn't happen the way you think it did. Apple didn't pay anybody, anything.
    Good to know, that 4 was too heavy anyway.  But I did love the shape.
    JWSCbaconstang
  • Reply 45 of 64
    RembertRembert Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    Seen too many people around me complaining about their fancy but too large iPhones. Some traded their phones for second hand SEs. I’ve stayed on the SE and I plan to stay as long as the current iOS still runs on it. Then I’ll start to ponder what phone to buy. Security matters most, second is the size (note: price is something I care less about). I’d like my next smartphone to be an iPhone. The 8 too large for me. I just prefer the SE or even the 4S sizes.
    ken burns effectbaconstang
  • Reply 46 of 64

I will definitely be looking at other brands because I cannot keep buying and losing dongles.
    If 3.5mm headphone jack is your first priority, better get an gaint Android phone (6+ inch screen) with good audio quality now itself, because you are NOT going to find one next year most likely. Almost all of the top android OEMs (LG being the lone exception) have ditched the 3.5mm headphone jack in their top tier phones. Good luck finding a half decent smartphone after couple of years with headphone jack. 
  • Reply 47 of 64
    First had the 4S/16, then SE/64 and now SE/128!

I really liked the 4S form factor, bring that to market with edge to edge display and modern components as a phone "for the rest of us";-)

Next best thing would be an updated 5/5S/SE-size, and if "SE2" is in the pipeline smart marketing is of course not letting it out at the fall event but in the spring, to maximize sales.

Bring it on, I'll take two...
    baconstang
  • Reply 48 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rembert said:
    Seen too many people around me complaining about their fancy but too large iPhones. Some traded their phones for second hand SEs. I’ve stayed on the SE and I plan to stay as long as the current iOS still runs on it. Then I’ll start to ponder what phone to buy. Security matters most, second is the size (note: price is something I care less about). I’d like my next smartphone to be an iPhone. The 8 too large for me. I just prefer the SE or even the 4S sizes.
    Well, you will have a hard time finding ANY smartphone that meets your criteria for size, at least with the features you’ve probably come to expect and the ecosystem to support it. 
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Rajka said:
    I'm not sure Apple is not stupid, that it knows what sells and what doesn't. Sure, its products are selling and it is flush with cash. But the corporate landscape is littered with corporations who once reigned king but are relegated to much smaller market segments today, if even still in business. Apple will prove to be no exception. How say? Because its lost focus, deviated from what Steve Jobs built to lay the foundation for the excessive wealth Apple enjoys today. Jobs was so successful because he gave Apple customers outstanding value and innovative products. His product line was simple and clearly differentiated. Most products could be readily repaired, expanded, and upgraded. But his real killer feature was delivering excellence, the best user experience possible (at specific price points) for a modest premium. That's what Apple lacks today, and why I predict its ship will sail too. Greed always loses in the end.
    Nah. I’ve been using Apple products since the ][ and today’s are the cheapest (not sure what you’re smoking but Apple has never been known for “modest” premium pricing) and the most powerful and I wouldn’t trade any of my current iterations for past versions. They are excellent. 

But yes, even the sun will fade one day. Prophetic words. 
  • Reply 50 of 64

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from using an adapter to convert from a new digital headphone port (which iPhones have) to a legacy analog one. They shipped free with the iphone for at least a year, including your 7. Simply leave it connected to the speaker system you’re plugging into, it can’t get lost. If you have multiple speaker systems, get more as they’re cheap. 

And yes, your bluetooth fear is conspiracy theory. No medical facts to back up this claim. 
  • Reply 51 of 64
    If this logic were correct, we would not have an iPad Mini.  

Yes, part of the appeal of both the iPad Mini and the SE was their price.   But using price as the main criteria for the argument ignores the appeal of the smaller form factor.   Further, using the price of the nearly obsolete and soon to be abandoned iPhone 8 is not a valid argument.   The iPhone 8 is cheap because it is an old, dated form factor using old, dated components.

And, saying that nobody wants a 4" screen is obviously myoptic:   People don't want a small screen, they want a small phone.   Apple has already abandoned the old (iPhone 8) form factor with wide bezels and a big button at the bottom in favor of no bezel screens.   That could enable them to make an SE sized phone with a FAR bigger screen.

But, lastly, there is simple logic:   The ONLY consumer priced small/medium phones Apple makes is the 8.    And, the 8 will be gone next year.  That will leave a big hole in Apple's lineup that will likely be filled with a successor to the SE.

I say to those who want a smaller, consumer priced phone but don't want to invest in a nearly obsolete phone:   Wait them out!  
    "People don't want a small screen, they want a small phone"

There are rumors of a 5.42" OLED iPhone with FaceID for Fall 2020.  Just have to wait and see
  • Reply 52 of 64
    BireneBirene Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    In your slavish need to prove that anyone who might want an alternative to the large phones is somehow contemptible, you made an error: "... the SE's measly 16GB." Wrong. Do your research! My SE's storage is 128 GB. And of course it was available in 32 and 64. It's compact and powerful. Don't want or need a colossal phone.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Birene said:
    In your slavish need to prove that anyone who might want an alternative to the large phones is somehow contemptible, you made an error: "... the SE's measly 16GB." Wrong. Do your research! My SE's storage is 128 GB. And of course it was available in 32 and 64. It's compact and powerful. Don't want or need a colossal phone.
    We're aware. The SE base configuration was $399 for 16GB at launch. Nothing we said in the article is contrary to what you're saying other than your misinterpretation of a "slavish need" and "contemptible" part.

Its fine that you want a smaller phone. Some of the AI staff does too, and we even said that in this piece. But, we don't confuse that for what everybody wants, or even the majority. Apple very, very clearly, does not.

If we feel something is "contemptible," there will be no doubt. This is not that.
    edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 54 of 64
    SE2 please.
    Don't make me buy a damn flip phone!
  • Reply 55 of 64
     The SE isn’t coming back until there is a compelling reason for it to return. A few have stated that Apple has dictated “bigger is better.” That’s simply not the case - the market dictates this, and it started with Apple’s competitors releasing large screen upscale phones in an attempt to switch users away from the smaller iPhones in production at the time. When Apple released the larger sizes, they were huge sellers and many Android users who had switched strictly for screen size switched back.

Since then, bigger has been better across the entire industry . While the SE was beloved by a small following, most reports indicate it wasn’t a big seller while it was in production. If there was a huge market for an SE style phone, Android competitors would be plentiful - but they aren’t.

Maybe we’ll get a 5” iPhone in the future in a smaller chassis than an iPhone 11, but I doubt it will resemble the SE.
  • Reply 56 of 64
     The SE isn’t coming back until there is a compelling reason for it to return. A few have stated that Apple has dictated “bigger is better.” That’s simply not the case - the market dictates this, and it started with Apple’s competitors releasing large screen upscale phones in an attempt to switch users away from the smaller iPhones in production at the time. When Apple released the larger sizes, they were huge sellers and many Android users who had switched strictly for screen size switched back.

Since then, bigger has been better across the entire industry . While the SE was beloved by a small following, most reports indicate it wasn’t a big seller while it was in production. If there was a huge market for an SE style phone, Android competitors would be plentiful - but they aren’t.

Maybe we’ll get a 5” iPhone in the future in a smaller chassis than an iPhone 11, but I doubt it will resemble the SE.
    Ever consider the larger screen Apple Watch with cellular and paired with AirPods? Only half joking. 
  • Reply 57 of 64
    To echo the sane. WE DONT CARE ABOUT PRICE! We want a smaller phone, period. I am on my iPhone SE right now, I have a iPhone 8 Plus from work. I hate using the work phone  as it’s far too big in my hand. I use my device primarily in one hand. I don’t care what the specs are, iPhone XR specs in a iPhone SE size and I am happy and would throw whatever it costs at it. Phones are too big for many people and the ones buying the bigger phones do so because they don’t have choice. Look at how many times apple sold out of SEs from their refurbished store. People want a smaller phone with the OS they love. I hope this spring we see something, because at this moment none of the phones are candidates for me.
    macguiSamhain
  • Reply 58 of 64
    I started with a 4S (day one) and in time, moved to an SE (also day one).  That extra half inch (remember, the 4 series had a 3.5" screen) bothered me mightily at first, but I adjusted in time.

When I went to the Apple Store last December to replace my battery under their discount program, the tech botched the swap... so they presented me then and there with a newly-reconditioned replacement SE, still only charging me for the battery cost.  So I'm still rocking a relatively "new" SE.

But my eyesight has grown a little more demanding since the day-one purchase.  As much as I love the form factor, it's probably time to move on to a little more real estate.  But my SE can live on as an ATV remote (perfect size for that, really)...

edited September 2019
  • Reply 59 of 64
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    When my 64G 5s died after a long and venerable life, I got a 32G att SE. It didn't take too long before it felt cramped. I pruned regularly but it was a regular task that got old quickly.

Then  Apple suddenly started selling new SEs again. Then stopped, Then again. Then stopped. Then again and I snagged one -128G. I'll wait as long as I can before getting Apple to replace the battery, and deal with a legacy iOS when while everybody is using their iPhone 35 and the latest iOS to control their hoverboards.

"People don't want a small screen, they want a small phone"

There are rumors of a 5.42" OLED iPhone with FaceID for Fall 2020.  Just have to wait and see
    People don't want a small screen, they want a small phone.

People don't want a small screen, they want a small phone.

Just to be clear. And for those just tuning in, the above was in response to someone saying about the SE – 'People want a small screen'. Nonsense, obviously.

5.42" is not an answer to an updated SE. A phone the same size and form factor is an answer, the only correct answer to an updated SE. And at this point I'd settle for a round edged phone like all Apple's current lineup, if it were the same size as the SE.

If Apple were to squeeze a 5.42" screen on an SE, and update its internals a little, I'd be on board in a NY minute. That's not going to happen, and an SE in an 8 form factor – surprise! – isn't an SE.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    I don't understand why Apple can't make a iPhone 11 with a 4.7" screen and sell it for $599? They could even charge $649 or have a year older CPU and I'm sure people would still buy it. I don't want a big and heavy phone as the ones they are currently selling. And after hearing about those fantastic CPUS and cameras I really don't feel like buying an old iPhone 8.