Editorial: How long before we get a $100 'Everything Apple' subscription including an iPho...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    I hope your check from Tim Cook is already in the mail... it should be for suggesting an idea that I haven't read before yet immediately seems inevitable. In a way, Amazon is pioneering this space already via their Prime Membership. What started simply as a way to get free 2-day shipping at all times (and hence shop Amazon more often) has morphed into a subscription that gets you Amazon's premium video content, free movie rentals, free music streaming, discounts at Amazon-owned Whole Foods, etc. 

One very wrong assertion in your article: I have traded-in a number of Apple products prior to new releases, researched prices from the various tech buying sites and have consistently found that Apple offered the best price, often by a significant amount. This only makes sense: Apple will profit from selling you something new AND profit from the resale of your trade-in... the only profit source for tech buying sites is the markup they can command in reselling your item. Of course, I *could* do even better than Apple if I chose to resell privately via Craigslist or Ebay, but that route comes with its own headaches, and my time is worth more than the additional dollars generated. 

edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    The author failed Marketing 101. The price would be $99/month. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Apple Music - $9.99
    iCloud 2 TB - $9.99

What is the other $80 for?

iPhone is an installment purchase, it is not a rental. If you continuously and religiously upgrade on an exact schedule every 12 months, it might mirror one, but it is not. It can't be included in any sort of ongoing Apple subscription.
    Yeah, I'm not convinced Apple would actually rent a phone, either.  However, if as part of a bundled purchase, all that other stuff was included, I could see them doing it.  Of course, like the contracted phone purchases of years past, if you continue the full price after the phone itself has been paid off, it's a waster of money.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Apple Music - $9.99
    iCloud 2 TB - $9.99

iPhone is an installment purchase, it is not a rental. If you continuously and religiously upgrade on an exact schedule every 12 months, it might mirror one, but it is not. It can't be included in any sort of ongoing Apple subscription.
    Yeah, I'm not convinced Apple would actually rent a phone, either.  However, if as part of a bundled purchase, all that other stuff was included, I could see them doing it.  Of course, like the contracted phone purchases of years past, if you continue the full price after the phone itself has been paid off, it's a waster of money.
    Ah, but think of the further implication of a subscribed iPhone. You for sure then have no right to crack it open and fix it (or jailbreak it.)
  • Reply 25 of 35
    eightzero said:
    Apple Music - $9.99
    iCloud 2 TB - $9.99

Ah, but think of the further implication of a subscribed iPhone. You for sure then have no right to crack it open and fix it (or jailbreak it.)
    But people would anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    eightzero said:
    Apple Music - $9.99
    iCloud 2 TB - $9.99

But people would anyway.
    Ayup. And you can bet the software would brick it.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    I honestly don’t get why someone wouldn’t pay for their phone in installments if they can. It’s basically an interest free loan. Bundling iPhone plus services into one monthly fee seems like a no brainer to me.
    I see what you’re saying, but this plan only makes sense if you update your devices often and subscribe to most of the services. I keep my phones for 3-4 years or longer. I keep my Mac for longer then that. I have no interest in Apple Music, AppleTV, News, etc, though I might go for Arcade. I am looking at getting my phone on an instalment but through my carrier, if the math works out. If the are charging a hefty premium for spreading the payments out over a couple of years, then no I’ll pay cash and buy it outright.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    larz2112 said:
    So your idea is to bundle services and equipment that the customer never really owns and charge a pretty penny for it. So basically your idea is to do what the cable companies have done for years. So you want Apple to treat its customers more like the cable companies treat their customers. You know, the cable companies that we all love? Nice.
    People seem to have no problem leasing cars, or subscribing to AWS. Ownership has its drawbacks too, like device disposal - an offer that appears reasonable that mitigates such drawbacks will at least be considered by a lot of people.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Apple Music - $9.99
    iCloud 2 TB - $9.99

After the phone has been "paid off" your subscription will include the option to receive a new phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    My whole life is effectively a subscription already. Taxes, utilities, insurance, cable, cellular services, online connectivity, home security, music streaming, Amazon Prime, domain name, web hosting, cloud storage, magazines, recurring prescriptions, grocery bills, auto fuel, landscaping services, pest control, etc.  Adding iPhone and related services to the mix would be a total nonissue and not change anything. If you cannot (or choose not) to live without something that you have to pay for on a recurring basis - it’s essentially a subscription. Think about it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    This --> "Keep it simple and just buy what you want when you want."
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Apple Music - $9.99
    iCloud 2 TB - $9.99

As pointed out, Apple is already doing this.  I think this could be the linchpin to launch a monthly bundle with Apple.  Like leasing a vehicle, you never worry about repairs, etc., and if included in a bundle with increased storage, music, TV, news +, and Arcade, for $89 a month, Apple would get tens of millions of subscribers who want the best in a set and forget package. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 35
    I honestly don’t get why someone wouldn’t pay for their phone in installments if they can. It’s basically an interest free loan. Bundling iPhone plus services into one monthly fee seems like a no brainer to me.
    I’m not sure there’s an end if you’re in a subscription plan. Just like cable is currently, you pay x dollars forever and when you quit you don’t own anything and you can’t use the equipment even if you still have it. It never will be ‘yours’, just like the cable box isn’t. It may not be worth anything even to the cable company because of how old it is or features it doesn’t have but most cable companies officially say you have to turn it back in. 

On a phone subscription you you may automatically get a new phone every year or 2. But if you don’t want a new phone-some feature or upgrade that you don’t like for instance then you are out of luck. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 35
    If you keep the phone at the end of the subscription period, fine.
    If you are renting the phone, no way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Because I don't borrow money, except for the short periods between using a credit card and paying it off, usually less than a week.  I don't buy something until I have the money for it;  it helps me budget properly and save for the future goodies I want.  And lowers risk, I might add.... if I lose my job or something else happens, my obligations are minimal.

The one exception might be a mortgage for a house, but I've paid that off too.  (no, I'm not wealthy)

The subscription model is interesting and could get expensive, but its easy to cut back if needed during lean times.  With a loan for a phone, you are obligated.

watto_cobra