Confusion reigns over iPhone 11 Pro RAM, benchmarking tests

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new iPhone 11 Pro GeekBench benchmark highlights the speed of the new device, but claims it has 4 gigabytes of RAM, while other sources indicate that it may have 6 gigabytes.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

A Geekbench 4 test published early on Thursday purports that the iPhone 11 Pro, and by association given the same A13 Bionic chipset the iPhone 11 Pro Max, is notably faster than the iPhone XS Max. The iPhone 11 Pro scores a 5472 for its single core and 13769 for its multi core, while the 2018 iPhone XS Max scored a 4790 for its single core, and 11346 for its multi-core.

Notably, the iPhone 11 Pro is also much faster than the Galaxy Note 10+, which had a single score score of 3506 and a multicore score of 11247.

The same Geekbench test claims that the iPhone 11 Pro features 4 gigabytes of RAM. Reliable leakers Ben Geskin and @OnLeaks have come up with different results -- instead of 4 gigabytes of RAM, they both claim based on Chinese supply sources that the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 11 Pro Max actually both have 6 gigabytes of RAM.

iPhone 11: 4GB RAM, 3110mAh

iPhone 11 Pro: 6GB RAM, 3190mAh

iPhone 11 Pro Max: 6GB RAM, 3500mAh pic.twitter.com/W3cQtRmDB0

-- Ben Geskin (@BenGeskin)

The entry-level iPhone 11 still reportedly features 4 gigabytes of RAM, edging out the iPhone XR's 3 gigabytes of memory. This matches the memory in the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.

Apple does not make public the RAM specifications on its iPhone line, but continued testing will determine this information beyond a shadow of a doubt. Pre-release benchmark scores can be faked with relative ease, so results should not be considered conclusive until after the phones have been made public. It isn't presently clear why the test uses the older GeekBench 4 test, when GeekBench 5 was released on September 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    So, actual Geekbench testing said 4GB. Unnamed, unverified sources of unknown reliability say 6Gb. Uh, yeah I'd go with the actual measurement until I get more data. I suppose it is possible that the base version has 4 and ones with more RAM, or the Max version has 6. But the only way to know for sure is an actual measurement, not rumours.
    gatorguyArloTimetravelerjahbladecaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 39
    DAalseth said:
    So, actual Geekbench testing said 4GB. Unnamed, unverified sources of unknown reliability say 6Gb. Uh, yeah I'd go with the actual measurement until I get more data. I suppose it is possible that the base version has 4 and ones with more RAM, or the Max version has 6. But the only way to know for sure is an actual measurement, not rumours.
    Yeah, I assume they’ve done the same thing they did on the last pro iPads- two different RAMs Dependancy on storage size
    caladanianthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 39
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    DAalseth said:
    Onleaks ( Steve Hemmerstoffer has reported 4GB RAM iPhone 11 and 6GB for the Pro's.  I have always heard/read that Onleaks is pretty reliable with his info? Who knows though.. B)

Onleaks has tweeted to say that he believes the iPhone 11 packs 6GB of RAM. Only one can be correct, of course.

For those who care about these details #Apple never share officially, seems like:

- #iPhone11 = 4GB RAM + 3110mAh battery (Xr = 3GB + 2942mAh)
    - #iPhone11Pro = 6GB RAM + 3190mAh battery (Xs = 4GB RAM + 2658mAh)
    - #iPhone11ProMax = 6GB RAM + 3500mAh (Xs Max = 4GB RAM + 3174mAh)

— Steve H.McFly (@OnLeaks) September 12, 2019

https://www.imore.com/iphone-11-pro-appears-geekbench-and-has-4gb-ram-or-does-it

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Does anyone know why Apple choose 2 wide angle back camera on back of iPhone 11 instead one wide and one telephoto ? last years iPhone XS had one wide and one telephoto.
    edited September 2019 pscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 39
    wood1208 said:
    Does anyone know why Apple choose 2 wide angle back camera instead one extra wide and one tele photo ?
    Maybe the average person didn’t shoot closeups as much.
    StrangeDaysalexonline
  • Reply 6 of 39
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    wood1208 said:
    Does anyone know why Apple choose 2 wide angle back camera instead one extra wide and one tele photo ?

Although he was referring to the dual camera system on the iPhone 11, John Gruber from Daring Fireball mentions...
    Fundamentally it’s a bet on the power of computational photography — it’s easier to zoom in digitally than it is to compute a wider field of view.

But as was also mentioned on stage... that extra wide lens can be used in really tight shots, “When there’s no room to back up.”

edited September 2019 jahbladeGeorgeBMactmaypscooter63uraharaStrangeDaysnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 39
    DAalseth said:
    Because you don't know their names does not mean that don't have names or that they are not authoritative sources.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    mjtomlin said:
    wood1208 said:

Although he was referring to the dual camera system on the iPhone 11, John Gruber from Darirng Fireball mentions...
    Fundamentally it’s a bet on the power of computational photography — it’s easier to zoom in digitally than it is to compute a wider field of view.

But as was also mentioned on stage... that extra wide lens can be used in really tight shots, “When there’s no room to back up.”

It’s not harder to compute a wider field of view, its impossible. If the lens can’t see grandma outside the frame, it can’t compute her. Yes you can take a panorama but that’s a different action than pressing the shutter button. It is most likely for 3 reasons 1) people take group shots and can’t back up enough, so you can get shots you wouldn’t otherwise get. 2) more useful for AR applications 3) the ultra wide doesn’t use OIS so prob a cheaper than adding telephoto camera package which does
    edited September 2019 tmayuraharabageljoeycaladanianrundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jcs2305 said:
    DAalseth said:
    Onleaks ( Steve Hemmerstoffer has reported 4GB RAM iPhone 11 and 6GB for the Pro's.  I have always heard/read that Onleaks is pretty reliable with his info? Who knows though.. B)

Onleaks has tweeted to say that he believes the iPhone 11 packs 6GB of RAM. Only one can be correct, of course.

For those who care about these details #Apple never share officially, seems like:

- #iPhone11 = 4GB RAM + 3110mAh battery (Xr = 3GB + 2942mAh)
    - #iPhone11Pro = 6GB RAM + 3190mAh battery (Xs = 4GB RAM + 2658mAh)
    - #iPhone11ProMax = 6GB RAM + 3500mAh (Xs Max = 4GB RAM + 3174mAh)

— Steve H.McFly (@OnLeaks) September 12, 2019

https://www.imore.com/iphone-11-pro-appears-geekbench-and-has-4gb-ram-or-does-it

I read the same thing. And the reason Geekbench 4 might have been used could be for the simp,e reason that the test was done before the release.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 39

wood1208 said:
    Does anyone know why Apple choose 2 wide angle back camera on back of iPhone 11 instead one wide and one telephoto ? last years iPhone XS had one wide and one telephoto.
    It seems to be a trend. Other manufacturers are going the ultra wide route. It seems to be popular.
  • Reply 11 of 39

rkla said:
    mjtomlin said:
    wood1208 said:

Although he was referring to the dual camera system on the iPhone 11, John Gruber from Darirng Fireball mentions...

It’s not harder to compute a wider field of view, its impossible. If the lens can’t see grandma outside the frame, it can’t compute her. Yes you can take a panorama but that’s a different action than pressing the shutter button. It is most likely for 3 reasons 1) people take group shots and can’t back up enough, so you can get shots you wouldn’t otherwise get. 2) more useful for AR applications 3) the ultra wide doesn’t use OIS so prob a cheaper than adding telephoto camera package which does
    Exactly. Sometimes Gruber gets things confused. Also the ultra wide uses a 5 element lens rather than a 6 as the others do. At one point I think Apple went to a 7 element lens for the normal camera. But it could be a more advanced design allowing fewer elements using better plastic and glass. Usually ultra wide lenses have a lot of glass. But really wide lenses don’t need OIS as much as the others do.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Did I not see that the system was now using unified memory, so shared ram between GPU and CPU?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    Because you don't know their names does not mean that don't have names or that they are not authoritative sources.
    On the contrary, I trust a source more if they are willing to go on the record. This could be anyone from the CEO of Foxconn to some shipping clerk who saw a 6 on a box and assumed it meant this, to some random person who made stuff up. Unless you know WHO the source it, it is just hearsay.
    tmayStrangeDaysnetmage
  • Reply 14 of 39
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    rkla said:
    mjtomlin said:
    wood1208 said:

I'm sure that's what he was trying to infer. However, a camera could pick up data "outside" a frame simply by grabbing data as a camera moves around before and after taking a shot, thus giving you the ability to "zoom out" a bit if needed. Would be really handy when rotating to horizontally align images.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 15 of 39
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    wood1208 said:
    OPPO phone has wider angle camera. The picture actually looks better than iPhone. 
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Did I not see that the system was now using unified memory, so shared ram between GPU and CPU?
    I never heard any phones with GDDR RAM.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Apple really should disclose this info in their tech specs section. Not sure why they do not. Should be no secret. Processor,ram and storage space should all be disclosed when people click on tech specs. This should not be a hidden secret that people have to search for. Imagine having to search for this info when buying a Mcbook Pro :o
    rinosaur
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Apple really should disclose this info in their tech specs section. Not sure why they do not. Should be no secret. Processor,ram and storage space should all be disclosed when people click on tech specs. This should not be a hidden secret that people have to search for. Imagine having to search for this info when buying a Mcbook Pro :o
    Maybe because the amount of RAM in a phone does not really matter to anyone but spec junkies that like to claim that a phone with 8GB of RAM is better than a phone with 4 or 6GB of RAM, which is patently false.  The amount of RAM in a MacBook Pro IS needed depending on what you are going to use it for.
    StrangeDaysnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    goofy1958 said:
    Maybe because the amount of RAM in a phone does not really matter to anyone but spec junkies that like to claim that a phone with 8GB of RAM is better than a phone with 4 or 6GB of RAM, which is patently false.  The amount of RAM in a MacBook Pro IS needed depending on what you are going to use it for.
    I think it’s because Apple used to skimp out on RAM and didn’t want to call attention to it. I remember having the first iPad Air. The memory management was awful. Safari tabs would constantly re-load. People who own an iPhone 6 (still with 1GB RAM) has similar issues with apps refreshing all the time.
    rinosaurcaladanianmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 39
    rkla said:
    mjtomlin said:
    wood1208 said:

4) more people seem to take wide shots (groups, architecture) than need to zoom in closer with a cell phone. Gruber’s informal polls match what I find to be true as well. 
    rinosaurwatto_cobra