iPhone 11 Pro & iPhone 11 Pro Max -- Hands on and first impressions

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Yawn
    I need a better phone, not a computer, not a tracker

FYI: Mobile phones are tracking devices with which you can make phone calls. Nothing you think or smoke will change that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 55
    But the storage still starts at 64GB. The latest Galaxy phones as well as Huawei’s flagship phones all start at 128GB.

You would expect that as they are known to be less efficient with memory and storage. And don't get me going on their crapware. One commercial app alone claims they remove 122 bloatware apps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 55
    Someone stole my 6 Plus, and a friend loaned me an Android, which I used while I paid off the gone phone.
    It was a Samsung Galaxy (2?) and honestly, I hated it, used it as little as possible, for as little as possible, and just generally hated using it.

I could not get rid of it quickly enough.  I replaced my phone with a 6s, which I still have.  I will never get another Android.  The friend didn’t want the phone back...and it turns out everyone I know who uses Android has a pile of old dead phones lying around;  when it’s mentioned, they typically sigh and shrug.

”At least they’re not Apple phones!” they say
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 55
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    I think it is great that Apple lowered the Price of the iPhone 11 from the iPhone XR.   I think it will motivate many to upgrade.   Now is DED going to do an editorial attacking Tim Cook for lowering the Price.   I imagine they couldn’t lower the price of the 11Pro because of what they pay Samsung for the OLED screen.
    But the storage still starts at 64GB. The latest Galaxy phones as well as Huawei’s flagship phones all start at 128GB.
    That's not fair because the Galaxy phones are probably better just because of the QualComm modem.    I guess Apple just couldn't get QC in time and had to stick with the crappy Intel.   Cook has hurt the phone so bad with his failed game of intimidation and bullying.   
    I think I missed /sarcasm note somewhere. I sincerely hope you are not serious.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 55
    avon b7 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    jume said:

jume said:
    So the new PRO now at Apple means "a little bit extra features" to justify this huge price tag?

I don't like where this Apple boat has been steering in the last years, it's crazy.

And also what is Apple Design doing lately? That triple camera design looks like from a students prototype class.

And that camera design is based on what’s needed to best make the camera system work. It’s why you’re going to see something similar from Google when they announce their new phones. Of course Google’s look like they were just bolted on.

Its so pathetic and funny to see this. When Huawei launched a triple camera phone everyone was laughing at it. And now Apple puts one out and it's the best thing ever happened to a phone. BTW looking from the design angle on triple camera I think Huawei has made it looking much batter than Apple:

So this Huawei phone shoot better pictures?
    To many people's eyes, yes. And that (Mate 20 Pro) isn't Huawei's 'photography' phone (that's the P series).

Beyond 'better', Huawei flagships give you far greater versatility than any iPhone on the market and have done for a fair while. Yesterday's iPhone announcements are a late step in the right direction but few would argue that it has been Huawei that has shown the way over the last few years (and not only in photography).

Currently the P30 Pro is one of the best photography phones on the market.

The Mate 30 Pro arrives in just over a week.

It is true that a few people here tried to write off the tri-camera set-up as some kind of gimmick. The same went for low light photography. 

As for design, that's a personal thing but I am confident that most people prefer the Huawei designs and by a large margin.

In my book the Mate 30 Pro will also be very well liked.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidphelan/2019/09/04/huawei-mate-30-pro-leaked-images-show-jaw-dropping-design/#12801a5461c2

The most important thing is that the competition is heating up and that should be good for consumers.

It's still an Android, so... nah.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 55
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    kevin kee said:
    avon b7 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    jume said:

jume said:
    So the new PRO now at Apple means "a little bit extra features" to justify this huge price tag?

I don't like where this Apple boat has been steering in the last years, it's crazy.

And also what is Apple Design doing lately? That triple camera design looks like from a students prototype class.

And that camera design is based on what’s needed to best make the camera system work. It’s why you’re going to see something similar from Google when they announce their new phones. Of course Google’s look like they were just bolted on.

Its so pathetic and funny to see this. When Huawei launched a triple camera phone everyone was laughing at it. And now Apple puts one out and it's the best thing ever happened to a phone. BTW looking from the design angle on triple camera I think Huawei has made it looking much batter than Apple:

To many people's eyes, yes. And that (Mate 20 Pro) isn't Huawei's 'photography' phone (that's the P series).

Beyond 'better', Huawei flagships give you far greater versatility than any iPhone on the market and have done for a fair while. Yesterday's iPhone announcements are a late step in the right direction but few would argue that it has been Huawei that has shown the way over the last few years (and not only in photography).

It is true that a few people here tried to write off the tri-camera set-up as some kind of gimmick. The same went for low light photography. 

As for design, that's a personal thing but I am confident that most people prefer the Huawei designs and by a large margin.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidphelan/2019/09/04/huawei-mate-30-pro-leaked-images-show-jaw-dropping-design/#12801a5461c2

The most important thing is that the competition is heating up and that should be good for consumers.

If iOS is a high priority then you will have to live with the lack of choice and hope Apple remains competitive on the bleeding edge features it offers. When it doesn't, you might find yourself waiting almost two years for tentpole features like tri-cameras and Night Mode, super fast charging and lots more, as has been the case for the last few years.

You are also at the mercy of Apple's pricing options, be they simply high prices or the upsell of eliminating storage options they could offer but choose not to.

Then you reach the OS itself, where again you lose choice. If you only want iOS you only have one option. On a feature level I much prefer Android for phones (and by a long way). You won't get as many years of updates but if you stick with a major brand you will get years all the same. If you choose Google then probably even more.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 47 of 55
    kevin kee said:
    avon b7 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    jume said:

jume said:

You might just ignore him, thanks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 55
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    jume said:

jume said:

Lots of design elements goings into the Mate 30 Pro render that don't go well together. in my opinion.  I'm sure it will look better in real life.

But of course, I'm fine with not trying to hide function, though I would note that Huawei has had so many configurations of triple cameras in their phone models, that it's hard to tell if there was ever a unifying theme, like Apple has had since the iPhone 7 Plus.

Horses for courses.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 55

jume said:

jume said:

It's interesting that Apple was able to build a smartphone that captures 4, 4k 60P streams simultaneously, but Huawei will only now get 4K 60P with the Kirin 990.

I would also contend that Apple actually provided better function with how it placed the three cameras, and how it calibrated them, such that the three cameras work in concert to give very smooth and color correct zooming.

I'm guessing that Apple went with function over "looking much better", so I'll take function, thanks. 
    watto_cobraSoundJudgment
  • Reply 50 of 55
    tmay said:

jume said:

jume said:

It's interesting that Apple was able to build a smartphone that captures 4, 4k 60P streams simultaneously, but Huawei will only now get 4K 60P with the Kirin 990.

I would also contend that Apple actually provided better function with how it placed the three cameras, and how it calibrated them, such that the three cameras work in concert to give very smooth and color correct zooming.

I'm guessing that Apple went with function over "looking much better", so I'll take function, thanks. 
    It should be clear to you by now that 4K60 video has not been a very high priority for Huawei.

Only a tiny fraction of Apple users actually use it (for obvious reasons) and it is turned off by default.

You can bet all you want but Huawei has an entire imaging division in Finland. If you want to bet, you can be sure that Huawei (as has been demonstrated over the last few years) is very much a leader in that area.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    avon b7 said:
    kevin kee said:
    avon b7 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    jume said:

jume said:

If iOS is a high priority then you will have to live with the lack of choice and hope Apple remains competitive on the bleeding edge features it offers. When it doesn't, you might find yourself waiting almost two years for tentpole features like tri-cameras and Night Mode, super fast charging and lots more, as has been the case for the last few years.

You are also at the mercy of Apple's pricing options, be they simply high prices or the upsell of eliminating storage options they could offer but choose not to.

Then you reach the OS itself, where again you lose choice. If you only want iOS you only have one option. On a feature level I much prefer Android for phones (and by a long way). You won't get as many years of updates but if you stick with a major brand you will get years all the same. If you choose Google then probably even more.

I think that it is funny that you speak of the versatility of Android OS, but Apple users speak of the wide ecosystem of devices, and apps, that just work extremely well together.

I'll stick with Apple's ecosystem, thanks, and wrt to tentpole features, I don't think that Apple users are suffering all that much by having to at times wait for some feature that Android OS devices have first, but Apple ultimately does better. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 55
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    kevin kee said:
    avon b7 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    jume said:

jume said:

I think that it is funny that you speak of the versatility of Android OS, but Apple users speak of the wide ecosystem of devices, and apps, that just work extremely well together.

I'll stick with Apple's ecosystem, thanks, and wrt to tentpole features, I don't think that Apple users are suffering all that much by having to at times wait for some feature that Android OS devices have first, but Apple ultimately does better. 
    Isn't there an enormous ecosystem of Android hardware/software that works extremely well together, too?

'ultimately' Apple does it better? Is that your catch all for literally everything?

It is a completely worthless claim and isn't even true.

Will Apple backport its low light efforts to A12 phones? If Huawei and Google managed to set the bar (way, way higher than Apple) years ago, why can't Apple? Will Apple upgrade the stock chargers for the rest of the line? So Apple reached 18W. Does that fall under your 'ultimately' Apple does it better umbrella? Along with high powered wireless charging? Reverse wireless charging? 5G? On SoC 5G? Even shell finish? Yes, that aspect that many said was irrelevant but Apple seems to think otherwise (introducing a textured finish this year along with new colours). Shell design is largely unchanged (apart from the ugly tri-camera set-up) and that notch didn't even see a reduction but no worries, ultimately, Apple does it better. Is Apple designing a decoupled OS for the IoT 5G world?

The new line is a solid upgrade. The spread is better than last year's. In general, prices too. There are a lot of positive takeaways but don't let that go to your head.

Huawei has probably the best imaging talent in the mobile arena. They basically absorbed Nokia's top imaging scientists and the results (software and hardware) have been scrutinised across the globe. The accolades are pretty much universal.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 53 of 55
    All this banner back and forth really doesn't mean much if you are tied to the apple system.  My wife and I have 2 - iPhone, 2 - iPad pros, 1- iMac pro, 1 - iMac, 1-15" MacBook Pro, 3 - Apple TV's', 2-Apple Credit cards, 2 - Apple Watchers, and 4- Home pods.  We upgrade our phones every other year.  This year I will be getting an iPhone 11 MaxPro, next year my wife will upgrade to "whatever" apple is offering, it just doesn't matter.

Mike
    edited September 2019 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Yawn
    I need a better phone, not a computer, not a tracker
    better battery , rugged , not burdened by complications that drift attention far from the tasks at hand
    Privacy
    without "features" that only add complexity.
    Get the core solid
    it ain't
     I don't walk around staring into my hand , like Narcissus into the pond.
    Go back to the Design philosophy you abandoned years ago.
    You are high on your own gas

You need a Jitterbug, son. That, and a different place to hang out because there isn’t much here that fits your narrow world view.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Notsofast said:
    rinosaur said:
    That camera design is absolutely atrocious... Apple design really going downhill :neutral: 
    LOL. What do you expect when you have multiple lenses? There's only so much you can do when your design is made up of three round lenses. Takes about ten minutes to figure out the design.
    And the triangular placement of those three lens is what's physically needed for gaining all those features they are using to get the best picture-quality, such as 'Deep Fusion.' They literally *had* to space them equidistant from one another for those features to work.
    edited September 2019