iPhone 11: How Apple makes tech of the future affordable

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    bc2009 said:
    Kinda hard to make the argument that the iPhone 11 is better in every way than the iPhone X when it still does not have some features of iPhone X (including an OLED screen and a 2x zoom lens).  Also, you repeatedly say the price of iPhone 11 is $650 when it is really $699.

iPhone 11 is a great value for all the technology you get (just like iPhone XR was last year), but an article that repeatedly harps on how others were wrong should get some basic things right (including the grammar in the title).

This article reads like a diatribe from somebody who can't wait to say "I told you so" to the whole internet and then proceeded to hastily pound the keyboard as fast they could.
    DED IMHO has gone from commentator to Apple apologist.

I don’t remember the writer of Roughly Drafted turning a blind eye to Apple’s shortcomings. 

The reality is right now, there aren’t a lot of people who will be willing to pay $1k for a smartphone, whether it’s Apple or Samsung. Just read some of the comments on sites that are reviewing the Samsung Note 10, especially the 5G version. 

Apple had to do something to get more people to upgrade rather than hold on to their devices even longer.  Dropping the price of the iPhone 11 $50 cheaper than the XR was a start, including a free year of Apple TV+ family helps, but there are still plenty of iPhone users who are not loyal to Apple and this is what affects the bottom line. 

In the days days before the iPhone, Apple loyalists were the ones keeping Apple profitable, and in turn Apple made products we loved.
    Once the iPhone was released, people
    who never bought anything Apple were flashing their devices around as if they were a status symbol of their wealth, taste or intelligence. It’s popularity was it’s attraction, not it’s ease of use, or how powerful it can be. 

Apple was addicted to the attention and started  releasing more and more products that while were still attractive to Apple loyalists, they also had things that they didn’t like about them, like soldered memory and hard drives and plenty of quality programs that dealt with issues that Apple should have predicted. It didn’t affect sales, Apple was like a bear catching salmon during spawning season, it just can’t miss. 

Now, people are still weary of trusting Apple after that stupid battery replacement program. 
    They don’t want to upgrade for 1k or even $700. You can try to spin it and give the customer the monthly cost because that’s more  palatable, but customers are not stupid. They played that game already with the carriers.

There are millions of iphone users who don’t really use their device to its potential and they are realizing that. This is why they are willing to abandon Apple and buy a cheap android phone.

So now Apple has to win their business all over again. Apple retail isn’t prepared to explain why an iPhone is better than other devices. They don’t have Apple loyalists as employees anymore, they have more people who think it’s cool to work there but don’t know enough about Apple products.   
    Wow...an Apple II fan...been all downhill since 1979 eh...
    matrix077StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 101
    nubusnubus Posts: 355member
    iPhone 11 is far from X. OLED and 3D Touch are gone. A13 is a minor twist on A12 which itself was a 7nm shrink of the A11 Bionic in the X. Apple is doing a great job at stripping features and standing still in certain areas to let costs come down. Adding the connector results in Apple selling more accessories. That is a smart way of improving production.

But notice how this doesn't happen on the Mac. A PowerMac used to be $2000. Now Mac Pro starts at $6000. Not that you can buy one. The CPU used by Apple is a commodity and not some expensive to design PowerPC. On laptops the cost of ownership has soared. The Touch Bar and Touch ID adds cost and 1 hour of repair time. Replacing the battery is super expensive. Apple is doing a terrible job on the Mac.
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 23 of 101

This may be thr most hypocritical article I've ever read. On 8/28 the same author posted this about night sight on Android phones:

What's often left out is the fact that the processing needed to deliver these low light images requires that users hold their phone still for around 6 seconds

14 days ago that was posted to discount the value of the night sight feature. Now in this article he praises the new iPhone for taking a night sight photo in around 5 seconds. 
    I haven't seen any information saying that the iPhone requires 5 seconds of being held still to capture a Night Mode photo - can you provide a link, please?

Assuming that this is indeed the case, it's still a 16.66% improvement on the performance of the Android example so perhaps we shouldn't be too harsh.

I can provide you a link to the article which mentions 5 seconds:
    https://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/19/09/11/iphone-11-how-apple-is-makes-tech-of-the-future-affordable
    elijahgchemengin1
  • Reply 24 of 101
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    It all depends on what you call affordable.  The iPhone 11 is indeed a great phone with a lot of value, but $699 remains a lot of money for a lot of users.  

The other day I talked to the manager of the shop where I buy my smartphones and he said that there is a clear trend.  People which in the past bought high end smartphones (iPhiones and Android), are switching to the $300 models like the Samsung A50 or the Motorola One Vision.  These devices are not only good enough for 99% of the tasks,but these devices perform the requested tasks very smoothly.

Apple may be king in the high end market, but the relative importance of the high end is shrinking and the launch of iPhone 11 won't stop that.
    edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingamavon b7elijahgchemengin1
  • Reply 25 of 101
    Why is everybody (including AppleInsider) ignoring that the iPhone Design ist still broken? Or at least there wasn't a single piece of information about it.
    Since the iPhone X the backcover is covered with glass that cannot be replaced. If you're back cover breaks (and this is what happens sooner or later) Apple requests 600 bucks for a replacement phone.  

Will be interesting to see the first drop tests with the new iPhone 11 models. Paying lots of money for something that breaks easily and cannot be repaired is just insane. 
    Furthermore devices that cannot be repaired should not considered to be environmental friendly. Same is true for notebooks that cannot be upgraded with more RAM or with a new SSD. "Built to last as long as humanly possible." - This is just a lie, Apple. If this would be true Apple devices could be repaired as easily as it was in the past. 

Shame on you Apple!
    chemengin1
  • Reply 26 of 101
    "Apple had to do something to get more people to upgrade rather than hold on to their devices even longer." Would you rather have one ultra-high-end smartphone for 3 years, or two mediocre ones? CPU and memory get cheaper - but screen, case, software and services don't. Many people realised it makes more sense to pay for a high-end phone that would be pleasant to use for 3-4 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 101
    nubus said: But notice how this doesn't happen on the Mac. A PowerMac used to be $2000. Now Mac Pro starts at $6000.
    It has happened on the Mac. I bought the low-end 2017 standard 5K iMac and it blows away the 2009 Mac Pro I owned. 2009 was a time when you still legitimately needed to buy a Mac Pro to have the CPU/GPU/RAM combination to run Photoshop comfortably. Fast forward to 2017 and that's not even remotely true anymore. The Mac Pro that Apple sells now is FAR more advanced in terms of computing power than the old cheese grater Mac Pros. There's no real comparison. iMacs now easily serve the software uses that you needed to buy a Mac Pro for 10 years ago. And I had to upgrade the GPU in the 2009 model just to run a 4K monitor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 101
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Great article. One correction: the iPhone 11 price starts at $699 with 64GB, not $650.
    I'm to busy rolling on the floor to read this now.    DED spends years saying apple shouldn't lower prices on their phones and now he flips his tune.   I really believe that this was written up before the unveiling and he just copied and pasted and then posted this editorial with the $650 price point.    I think he's just like PRAVDA arguing for what ever the Communist party says NOW ignoring what they wrote the week before.    LMAO.   Now I am glad that Apple responded and lowered prices $50 (not the pre-imagined $100) .    

I'm looking forward to the tear-down video from iFixit.    I'll buy the iPhone when the QualComm chip is back in it.  Hopefully this year, maybe next at the latest.    I expect when the QualComm chip is back in it DED will  pull another 180 and write a pro QC article.
    muthuk_vanalingamrogifan_newelijahgavon b7bigtdschemengin1
  • Reply 29 of 101
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Perhaps readers should pick up the book How Solar Became Cheap by Greg Nemet. DED’s piece parallels several of points made in the book.

The book goes into substantial detail going back to Einstein’s Nobel Prize work on the photoelectric effect, through Bell Labs work on silicon, transistors, the space program’s/DoD price insensitivity to the cost of the exorbitantly expensive technology (including miniaturization) that drove the research and economies of scale. 

Apple and consumers willing to pay for pricey innovations is taking the place of NASA/DOD and government subsidies to push the boundaries in the market of personal electronic devices. 
    bakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 101
    kbee said:
    Same is true for notebooks that cannot be upgraded with more RAM or with a new SSD. "Built to last as long as humanly possible." - This is just a lie, 
    How? My 2011 MBA I'm typing this is going past 8 years mark and I haven't upgraded RAM or SSD at all. The inside is all original and it lasts 3 times longer than my previous Windows machine that you can go to shop and swapped RAM.
    What you said is just a lie, or your brain can only process one dimensional information.
    StrangeDaysbakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 101
    k2kw said:
    Great article. One correction: the iPhone 11 price starts at $699 with 64GB, not $650.
    I'm to busy rolling on the floor to read this now.    DED spends years saying apple shouldn't lower prices on their phones and now he flips his tune.   I really believe that this was written up before the unveiling and he just copied and pasted and then posted this editorial with the $650 price point.    I think he's just like PRAVDA arguing for what ever the Communist party says NOW ignoring what they wrote the week before.    LMAO.   Now I am glad that Apple responded and lowered prices $50 (not the pre-imagined $100) .    

I'm looking forward to the tear-down video from iFixit.    I'll buy the iPhone when the QualComm chip is back in it.  Hopefully this year, maybe next at the latest.    I expect when the QualComm chip is back in it DED will  pull another 180 and write a pro QC article.
    If Apple had raised prices the other day we’d be getting an “editorial” about how what matters is profit share not market share and if people want cheap they should buy an Android. That’s why you can’t take DED’s “editorials” seriously. He’s like Lou Dobbs on Fox Business shilling for whatever position Trump has taken on the day.
    CloudTalkinmuthuk_vanalingamelijahgavon b7chemengin1canukstorm
  • Reply 32 of 101
    But then again you could say that Apple finally added a camera feature Android had for generations: long press shutter button film mode ... /s
    bigtds
  • Reply 33 of 101
    Nothing special, the car industry does similar, selling luxurious, way to expensive cars with some improvements at an ultra high price point and 'giving back' the improvements a few years later for lower end models for the price they should have asked to begin with.
    They do this for 100 years now.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    This may be thr most hypocritical article I've ever read. On 8/28 the same author posted this about night sight on Android phones:

What's often left out is the fact that the processing needed to deliver these low light images requires that users hold their phone still for around 6 seconds

14 days ago that was posted to discount the value of the night sight feature. Now in this article he praises the new iPhone for taking a night sight photo in around 5 seconds. 
    The quote here is taken out of context. The fact it takes 6 seconds is not the main point. It is not even close to the main point. The main point about night mode with Google Pixel and Huawei Honor in that DED article (link below) is that it doesn't actually work very well, and results in fake-looking pictures if you are photographing anything other than still life images.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/08/28/editorial-iphone-11-design-will-advance-apples-mobile-imaging-lead

So when Apple introduces this capability, it uses an image of a person. iPhone does it better. This is pretty much exactly the point of DED's prediction article from August 28 -- the iPhone 11 will advance Apple's lead in mobile imaging. True to form, Apple now does night mode better than the competition.
    edited September 2019 Dan_Dilgerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 101
    brucemc said:
    bc2009 said:
    Kinda hard to make the argument that the iPhone 11 is better in every way than the iPhone X when it still does not have some features of iPhone X (including an OLED screen and a 2x zoom lens).  Also, you repeatedly say the price of iPhone 11 is $650 when it is really $699.

iPhone 11 is a great value for all the technology you get (just like iPhone XR was last year), but an article that repeatedly harps on how others were wrong should get some basic things right (including the grammar in the title).

This article reads like a diatribe from somebody who can't wait to say "I told you so" to the whole internet and then proceeded to hastily pound the keyboard as fast they could.

I don’t remember the writer of Roughly Drafted turning a blind eye to Apple’s shortcomings. 

The reality is right now, there aren’t a lot of people who will be willing to pay $1k for a smartphone, whether it’s Apple or Samsung. Just read some of the comments on sites that are reviewing the Samsung Note 10, especially the 5G version. 

Apple had to do something to get more people to upgrade rather than hold on to their devices even longer.  Dropping the price of the iPhone 11 $50 cheaper than the XR was a start, including a free year of Apple TV+ family helps, but there are still plenty of iPhone users who are not loyal to Apple and this is what affects the bottom line. 

In the days days before the iPhone, Apple loyalists were the ones keeping Apple profitable, and in turn Apple made products we loved.
    who never bought anything Apple were flashing their devices around as if they were a status symbol of their wealth, taste or intelligence. It’s popularity was it’s attraction, not it’s ease of use, or how powerful it can be. 

Apple was addicted to the attention and started  releasing more and more products that while were still attractive to Apple loyalists, they also had things that they didn’t like about them, like soldered memory and hard drives and plenty of quality programs that dealt with issues that Apple should have predicted. It didn’t affect sales, Apple was like a bear catching salmon during spawning season, it just can’t miss. 

Now, people are still weary of trusting Apple after that stupid battery replacement program. 
    They don’t want to upgrade for 1k or even $700. You can try to spin it and give the customer the monthly cost because that’s more  palatable, but customers are not stupid. They played that game already with the carriers.

There are millions of iphone users who don’t really use their device to its potential and they are realizing that. This is why they are willing to abandon Apple and buy a cheap android phone.

So now Apple has to win their business all over again. Apple retail isn’t prepared to explain why an iPhone is better than other devices. They don’t have Apple loyalists as employees anymore, they have more people who think it’s cool to work there but don’t know enough about Apple products.   
    Wow...an Apple II fan...been all downhill since 1979 eh...
    Wow, discriminating on age are you?
    bigtdsapplesnoranges
  • Reply 36 of 101
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member

The quote here is taken out of context. The fact it takes 6 seconds is not the main point. It is not even close to the main point. The main point about night mode with Google Pixel and Huawei Honor in that DED article (link below) is that it doesn't actually work very well, and results in fake-looking pictures if you are photographing anything other than still life images.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/08/28/editorial-iphone-11-design-will-advance-apples-mobile-imaging-lead

So when Apple introduces this capability, it uses an image of a person. iPhone does it better. This is pretty much exactly the point of DED's prediction article from August 28 -- the iPhone 11 will advance Apple's lead in mobile imaging. True to form, Apple now does night mode better than the competition.
    You need to read the comments on his pieces to get a better idea of what is real and what is twisted. Many of us have actually stopped reading them as they lack any balance and often credibility.

You have highlighted a good example and you are rehashing what was said in that article but what was claimed wasn't presented correctly. In fact the claims you are making (that came from that article) are incorrect as a result.

Please read the comments on that piece where I specifically quoted the article he linked to.
    edited September 2019 bigtdsmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 37 of 101

You lost us when you claimed "The reality is right now, there aren’t a lot of people who will be willing to pay $1k for a smartphone, whether it’s Apple or Samsung. "  Newsflash, OVER A HUNDRED MILLION people worldwide have bought one of Apple's $1K phones, and this year TENS of MILLIONS more will buy one.  Other than hundreds of millions, you're right, not many people. LOL. 

And elsewhere on the fake news front, more people continue to switch to iPhone from Android, then the other way around as you claim. 
    edited September 2019 tmayDan_Dilgerbakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Capitalism rocks!
    bigtdswatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 101
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I wouldn't go so far to say "Technology of the future". However, Apple does future-proof their products more so than the rest of the industry. When Apple releases new tech it does tend to have staying power and gets utilized more frequently. Mainly do to Apple's ability to find innovative* ways of using it.

And by the way... innovative does not mean something brand new, it means using or doing something in a different and new way. Most can't see the forest for the trees, but Apple is extremely adept at taking technology and making it obvious.
    applesnorangesStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 101
    nubus said:
    iPhone 11 is far from X. OLED and 3D Touch are gone. A13 is a minor twist on A12 which itself was a 7nm shrink of the A11 Bionic in the X. Apple is doing a great job at stripping features and standing still in certain areas to let costs come down. Adding the connector results in Apple selling more accessories. That is a smart way of improving production.

But notice how this doesn't happen on the Mac. A PowerMac used to be $2000. Now Mac Pro starts at $6000. Not that you can buy one. The CPU used by Apple is a commodity and not some expensive to design PowerPC. On laptops the cost of ownership has soared. The Touch Bar and Touch ID adds cost and 1 hour of repair time. Replacing the battery is super expensive. Apple is doing a terrible job on the Mac.
    Ahh, the famous Apple conspiracy to sell dongles in their secret plan to become wealthy! "Adding the connector results in Apple selling more accessories."  LOL.  Apple's sales of adapters is a rounding error on their books.  They spill more in coffee everyday at Apple Park.  LOL.    
    tmayapplesnorangesStrangeDaysbakedbananaswatto_cobra