FTP without software

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi I am a student and have no money. Is there a way for me to use FTP without having to buy a program.... .Maybe through terminal or something. If you could help me that would be great. Thanks.

Teddy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Terminal can do it, although I dont know how.

Fetch has a 15 day free trial
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    I remember that there is a free ftp client but i don't remember the name serch for one at version tracker. youll find it
  • Reply 3 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Terminal can do it, although I dont know how.

"man ftp" is a good start.

Just type ftp and then the IP for starters, but there is a list of commands used by the program ftp that you'll need te knew. Also remeber to switch between binary and text when appropriate.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

I remember that there is a free ftp client but i don't remember the name serch for one at version tracker. youll find it

I remember now is rbrowser lite needs 10.2
  • Reply 5 of 7
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    terminal is free.

so e.g.

ftp ftp.digiland.it 25

(in which the 25 = port nr)

but a good free alternative is Rbrowser Lite. It's freeware and works ok, get it from versiontracker.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    There's a couple alternatives... Rbrowser Lite was already mentioned, I believe Captain FTP may be free as well. LiFTP is a decent FTP program, and Fugu can be used for SFTP I think. Just google for any of those and you should be able to find them.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    www.versiontracker.com

look up FTP

then look over the freeware options. i'll put a vote in for RBrowserLite though. used it for a while before shelling out for Fetch.