Get 3% cash back when you use your Apple Card at Walgreens

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Walgreens is one of the few retailers that actually “gets” ApplePay. Their rewards card can be placed in your iOS Wallet app. When tap your iPhone or Watch the terminal processes it quickly without asking for a PIN, signature, or phone number. Easy.
    Do understand that Walgreens' is getting a little sump'm sump'n in return (customer data) for giving you that extra 1% on your purchases there which isn't necessarily a big deal. Apple Pay transactions are only anonymous when the retailer doesn't already count you as a rewards member. Just be aware of it.

At one time Walgreens was selling their customers' prescription data, but AFAIK they've stopped doing so. 
    Do you have to be a rewards member to get 3% back on the specific products using Apple Card and Apple Pay? This article doesn't make it appear that way but it could be the case.

Side note: I shop at the grocery store about a mile from my house. I have never gotten a rewards card from them. At checkout I can enter a phone number to look up the card and I always use my in-laws number. Then I pay with Apple Pay. I always wonder how that works out because my in-laws have refused to shop at that store for at least 10 years. The store is getting data from my purchases but tying it to my in-laws account and I'm using Apple Pay so they also aren't connecting it to me. How useful is that for them?
    They haven't stipulated, tho I would imagine cashiers will be trying to convince those without one. The program doesn't start until tomorrow anyway when everyone will know more (some sites mistakenly said today) and oddly the Walgreens announcement of it was pulled from their news page sometime earlier this afternoon. 
    https://news.walgreens.com/press-releases/walgreens-to-offer-3-percent-daily-cash-on-apple-card-with-apple-pay-purchases.htm
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 22 of 24

Notsofast said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    ApplePay does not do away with paper receipts.   No connection.  You can refuse to take it if you want though.   For myself, I use it to enter into Quicken later on so I can track my finances, verify charges, and reconcile accounts quickly and easily at the end of the month.   Just as I avoid shopping at places that don't provide ApplePay, I avoid those who avoid giving paper receipts.
    Why do you need paper receipts to do any of that?  
    Mostly to record the expense at a later time.   While I could try to rely on other means, none are as efficient or reliable.  
    I don't use Quicken, etc., but the Apple Card app does given a dollar amount of monies spent as well as merchant and date, and some additional information. For me, that would be more efficient than trying to read a pocketful of paper receipts, some of which might not be very legible to start with. Not saying that's what you should do.

We've had the discussion on Quicken vs Apple Card's reporting previously on AI.
    The consensus of those who use Quicken generally agree that Quicken integrates ALL income and expenses from all sources such as other cards and checking & savings accounts  as well as pulling investments all together so you have a complete picture of   assets & liabilities / net worth, investment performance, as well as overall income and expenses.  In addition, it can maintain budgets as well as reconcile accounts.  In my case, for instance, I can reconcile a charge card account and pay the bank all from Quicken in just a couple minutes because Quicken downloads the transactions from the bank and matches them to the expenses that I entered --  then it can initiate a payment to bank (although I don't use that feature).

Yes, Apple did a nice job reporting on the Apple Card -- but no matter how well they did or can do,  it is only one card and can' replace the functionality of Quicken.

It is one of the two reasons why, IF I decide to keep my Apple Card, I won't be using it for much because it cannot download transactions -- so I'll have to reconcile the account manually in Quicken.  That will be what is called a PIA.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Walgreens is one of the few retailers that actually “gets” ApplePay. Their rewards card can be placed in your iOS Wallet app. When tap your iPhone or Watch the terminal processes it quickly without asking for a PIN, signature, or phone number. Easy.
    Do understand that Walgreens' is getting a little sump'm sump'n in return (customer data) for giving you that extra 1% on your purchases there which isn't necessarily a big deal. Apple Pay transactions are only anonymous when the retailer doesn't already count you as a rewards member. Just be aware of it.

At one time Walgreens was selling their customers' prescription data, but AFAIK they've stopped doing so. 
    What are you talking about? You don’t have to have or use the Walgreens reward program in order to use tap to pay at the POST. The reward card is a separate card in your Wallet app (oh forgot, you don’t have a Wallet app, or an iPhone for that matter...)
    I was responding to lkrupp who said he uses his rewards card. 
    That still doesn’t make any sense. Ikrupp’s post on Walgreens offering a rewards card in Wallet has zilch to do with this promo or article. 

Walgreens accepts AP and it’s the normal 2% currently. This promo ups it to 3%. Use of their rewards card is not required or even mentioned. Walgreens is not “getting a sump’m sump’m in return” for the additional 1% as you clearly claimed.

Just more FUD pellets, I’m afraid, in the interest of making it seem like Apple stuff is as bad as your google stuff. It isn’t.
    edited September 2019 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Appleish said:
    Goodbye CVS and your tree-killing receipts.
    ApplePay does not do away with paper receipts.   No connection.  You can refuse to take it if you want though.   For myself, I use it to enter into Quicken later on so I can track my finances, verify charges, and reconcile accounts quickly and easily at the end of the month.   Just as I avoid shopping at places that don't provide ApplePay, I avoid those who avoid giving paper receipts.
    "Nobody was ever meant
    To remember or invent
    What he did with every cent"
    --Robert Frost