Compare the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Max versus the size of other iPhones with this pri...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
There are a lot of possible screen sizes for the iPhone. AppleInsider shows you exactly the size of the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max -- and how they compare to other recent models.

Comparing the sizes of new iPhones
Comparing the sizes of new iPhones

You've had this conversation, we've had this conversation: the iPhone SE is tiny and it's a shame there's no longer any iPhone that small. Except if you actually compare the iPhone SE with, say, the iPhone 8 or even the new iPhone 11 Pro, then the difference is startling. For all that the newer models have bigger screens, their cases aren't truly that much bigger than that of the iPhone SE.

It's something you have to see to really have a good feeling for it -- and it's something you need to know before you buy. So here's the annual AppleInsider guide to iPhone sizes. We've included the iPhone SE for comparison, but otherwise this is every current iPhone model.

Inside the PDF you'll find full-size photographs of each model and you can print them out to compare. Download the embedded PDF below, and print it out full size. There's a scale on every page to compensate for slight differences between printers. Be sure that one inch on your print corresponds with one inch on a ruler!

AppleInsider 2019 iPhone Size Comparison 2019 by Mike Wuerthele on Scribd

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.
ne4now76

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    There are a lot of possible screen sizes for the iPhone. AppleInsider shows you exactly the size of the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max -- and how they compare to other recent models.

You've had this conversation, we've had this conversation: the iPhone SE is tiny and it's a shame there's no longer any iPhone that small. Except if you actually compare the iPhone SE with, say, the iPhone 8 or even the new iPhone 11, then the difference is startling. For all that the newer models have bigger screens, their cases aren't truly that much bigger than that of the iPhone SE.

Um... 29% wider is truly that much bigger

iPhone SE is 4.87" x 2.31"  
    That's the same as an iPhone 5

The iPhone 8 is 5.45" x 2.65"

That's 0.34" wider.  

The iPhone XR is 5.94" x 2.98".   Now it's .67" wider than the iPhone SE
    The iPhone 11 is 5.94" x 2.98".  Same as the iPhone XR.  

So let's see.   2.31" + 29% =  (2.31" x 1.29) = 2.98"
    right_said_fredcornchipatomic101
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Two things:
    1)  What seems to be very small changes in external case size can make a very large difference in the feel of the phone -- both in hand and in pocket.
    2)  The introduction of no-bevel, full face screens dramatically changed the way we typically measured phone size using screen size.   When mixing the formats, screen size becomes worthless when talking about "the size of the phone".

There is a reason why Steve Jobs wanted to stick to a smaller phone -- because, at that point, phones were still used primarily as phones.  And, a smaller form factor worked best for that in all ways.   But, while today, we have moved on to using phones primarily to access the web and various apps, some still want and need a smaller SE sized phone.   I saw that myself when I was rebuilding a set of stone steps -- my 6+ simply didn't fit well into my pocket while stooped down working and it eventually cracked the screen and killed the phone (touch disease).   My choice was:  risk the phone or leave it somewhere -- both were undesirable options.   I could have really used an SE.

Another case, for myself, would be running:   Carrying a big, bulky phone simply doesn't work well.   Again, an SE sized phone would be ideal.

So, many want and need a solid, rugged, sturdy phone with a case the size of the SE but with a full, no-bevel screen approaching the size of that on the far larger iPhone 8. 
    There is no technical reason why Apple could not produce that.   It's all about marketing.   But, if Apple is serious about serving the customer and their needs (and I think they are), then an SE sized phone with a full, no-bevel screen should be in their plans.
    baconstangne4now76atomic101williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good job on this printable size guide, guys.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    ireland said:
    Actually, I would disagree.   The pictures have the actual size scale far over to the right without guidelines -- so it is very difficult to determine the actual size of the phone.  And, since very small differences in measurement translate into very large differences in "feel", I would give it a 5 of 10.   A good start.  But...
    bonobobwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ireland said:
    Actually, I would disagree.   The pictures have the actual size scale far over to the right without guidelines -- so it is very difficult to determine the actual size of the phone.  And, since very small differences in measurement translate into very large differences in "feel", I would give it a 5 of 10.   A good start.  But...
    You missed the "printable" part. There are other places to get engineering diagrams.

We got asked last year, and again this year, to do this guide. So, here we are. We have a wide array of wants and needs from readers. Not everything is going to appeal to every reader.
    edited September 2019 StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    You should also consider the weight when choosing a phone. If you're going to add a battery case, add that to the bottom line as well. You'll have to cinch up your pants a little tighter if you decide on a jumbo phone with a battery case.

Another thing to test drive when you're considering a new phone of any size is to see how it feels in your hand. Better yet, unless you're planning to use it in its nude state, make sure it's wearing the type of case that you'll be putting on your phone - this makes a huge difference. When I use my XS Max with an Apple leather case the phone doesn't feel bulky at all, but I live in constant fear of the thing slipping out of my hand and falling to its death. On the other hand, when I put on the Apple battery case with the big back hump and silicone case, the whole package feels much more secure but has considerable heft, tipping the scales at 11.4 oz, which is like walking around with three quarter pound cheeseburgers in your pocket. (Side note to all of you folks who complain about Apple's obsession with "thin" at the expense of battery life - get yourself one of those humpback battery cases and you've effectively negated all of the "thinness" that Apple designed into the phone. Then tighten up your belt a notch or two to keep your pants from falling down around your ankles.) 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 25
    "their cases aren't truly that much bigger than that of the iPhone SE."

Seriously? 
    This is an absurd comment. 
    The new phones are significantly larger in hand than the 5SE.
    Steve Jobs would be going ballistic right now if he saw the new lineup. Not that the tech isn't impressive but the double camera bumps for 3 lenses is hideous and the fact that none of the phones can be easily used one handed (like a phone is supposed to be used) is something he always touted.
    Apple is losing market share to other companies and I would bet my lefty that if they introduced an 11SE alongside the 11 for $100 less, that was full screen with overall dimensions similar to the 5SE, It would be their #1 selling phone. 
    Full Screen, single camera, retina display, absurd battery (phone can be same thickness as 5S and no sane person would complain), more rugged (market is as "sport" or for tradesmen/workers who are moving around all day).

Just like last year, I was holding out hope for this event but am having the battery replaced in my 7 today.  I have zero intentions of buying a new phone before I absolutely have to, unless they come out with a phone-sized phone again. My kid plays with my old 5S and every time I pick it up I think of how awesome that thing would be with an edge to edge screen. 

randomsGeorgeBMacatomic101williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 25
    ne4now76 said:

Seriously? 
    Steve Jobs would be going ballistic right now if he saw the new lineup. Not that the tech isn't impressive but the double camera bumps for 3 lenses is hideous and the fact that none of the phones can be easily used one handed (like a phone is supposed to be used) is something he always touted.
    Apple is losing market share to other companies and I would bet my lefty that if they introduced an 11SE alongside the 11 for $100 less, that was full screen with overall dimensions similar to the 5SE, It would be their #1 selling phone. Full Screen, single camera, retina display, absurd battery (phone can be same thickness as 5S and no sane person would complain), more rugged (market is as "sport" or for tradesmen/workers who are moving around all day).

Just like last year, I was holding out hope for this event but am having the battery replaced in my 7 today.  I have zero intentions of buying a new phone before I absolutely have to, unless they come out with a phone-sized phone again. My kid plays with my old 5S and every time I pick it up I think of how awesome that thing would be with an edge to edge screen. 

I'll ignore the guess about what SJ would say, and agree with you overall.  Having said that, I use my Xr all day long and I switch between one-handed and two-handed use seamlessly.  Yes, there are times when reaching the top corner with my thumb is a nuisance, but I disagree that my phone can't easily be used one-handed.

Also, Apple doesn't really want their cheapest phone to be their best selling one, so I'm sure that factors into why their isn't an "11SE".
  • Reply 9 of 25
    tadd said:

You've had this conversation, we've had this conversation: the iPhone SE is tiny and it's a shame there's no longer any iPhone that small. Except if you actually compare the iPhone SE with, say, the iPhone 8 or even the new iPhone 11, then the difference is startling. For all that the newer models have bigger screens, their cases aren't truly that much bigger than that of the iPhone SE.

That's 0.34" wider.  

Exactly.  Looking at the diagrams here can lead to false assumptions as it relates to feel and handling.  I have both an SE and an 8 (one personal, one given to me for work).  Both are enclosed in their respective official Apple leather cases.  Despite the mere 29% of increased width, the phones feel dramatically different in the hands.  The SE feels balanced and secure in one-handed operation.  I don't have to cradle it an awkward fashion, or shimmy my fingers up and down the sides to manipulate the edges or hit the lock/unlock button.  The 8, perhaps due to a combination of its increased size and thin profile, just feels a bit precarious in my hand.  It's really about the center of gravity, and the larger phone, despite being only fractions of an inch larger, loses that delicate balance.  Balance is a finnicky thing as we all know.... minute differences are what make the difference between riding a bike and toppling over into the dirt.

The fact of the matter is, I think what is really behind the desire to keep an SE form factor phone is the ability to confidently use it one-handed. That is incredibly useful, has great utility, and frees my other hand to worry about the hundreds of other important things in life.  Everything that has come after the SE, including the 8, are better suited for two-handed operation.  For myself and others, THAT is the significant factor that separates the phone sizes.... one-handed versus two-handed operation, not the screen or the "size" in and of itself.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ne4now76 said:

Seriously? 
    Apple is losing market share to other companies and I would bet my lefty that if they introduced an 11SE alongside the 11 for $100 less, that was full screen with overall dimensions similar to the 5SE, It would be their #1 selling phone. Full Screen, single camera, retina display, absurd battery (phone can be same thickness as 5S and no sane person would complain), more rugged (market is as "sport" or for tradesmen/workers who are moving around all day).

Given that the "5SE" doesn't exist, I'm going to assume you're talking about the iPhone SE. Nice invoking the dead guy, too. You have no idea what Steve would think now, because ideas and viewpoints change, nor does anybody else nearly a decade after his death, and more than a decade since he ceded control of the company.

Like we've said, we're not opposed to the SE philosophically. Some here want one. But, appealing to a CEO from a decade ago, and what worked then versus now, does your argument no favors.
    edited September 2019 WgkruegerStrangeDayswilliamlondonshark5150
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Mike, 

You could not just put in direct downloadable link on AI website, you send us to a website which requires us to sign up for an account or long in with Google or Facebook and there was this whole discussion here about those two companies tracking everything anyone does.
    macguimobird
  • Reply 12 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Except if you actually compare the iPhone SE with, say, the iPhone 8 or even the new iPhone 11 Pro, then the difference is startling. For all that the newer models have bigger screens, their cases aren't truly that much bigger than that of the iPhone SE.
    I disagree with the above quote. While on paper the difference seems small, it is startling in that it feels much bigger than a spec would imply. I had this issue with my 5s vs the 6 when it was announced. The extra width (except for later Plus and Max sizes) wasn't the problem for me; it was the extra height. The SE in almost any case but something made by Trojan or Durex is noticeably taller and takes the SE just about to the limit of what I'm comfortable with. I really like the 11 Pro, but it's still taller than an 8 or 6, which is taller than I want.

I'd be happy with an SE2, which would have the same SE form factor (or it wouldn't be an SE2) with an updated CPU and GPU. That all I'd need. Any thing else would be icing.
    edited September 2019 atomic101GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 25
    tadd said:

That's 0.34" wider.  

Phones are three-dimensional. Why did you leave out the fact that the SE is considerably thicker?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    macgui said:
    Except if you actually compare the iPhone SE with, say, the iPhone 8 or even the new iPhone 11 Pro, then the difference is startling. For all that the newer models have bigger screens, their cases aren't truly that much bigger than that of the iPhone SE.
    I disagree with the above quote. While on paper the difference seems small, it is startling in that it feels much bigger than a spec would imply. I had this issue with my 5s vs the 6 when it was announced. The extra width (except for later Plus and Max sizes) wasn't the problem for me; it was the extra height. The SE in almost any case but something made by Trojan or Durex is noticeably taller and takes the SE just about to the limit of what I'm comfortable with. I really like the 11 Pro, but it's still taller than an 8 or 6, which is taller than I want.

I'd be happy with an SE2, which would have the same SE form factor (or it wouldn't be an SE2) with an updated CPU and GPU. That all I'd need. Any thing else would be icing.
    Interesting take on the height being the major factor here.  I would venture to guess that an SE2 with an edge-to-edge display would actually cause a similar issue as the larger phones.  Even now, a quick experiment by moving my thumb all the way to the top edge of the SE face (beyond the edge of the actual display) feels uncomfortable in the same way that my iPhone 8 does when I try to reach the top of the screen.... you're forced to move beyond the hinge of your thumb and compensate by extending the palm ever so slightly, which changes the grip and requires the phone to "slip" a little to allow for the movement.  Apple and Jobs certainly did their homework at the beginning of the iPhone era to work out the ergonomics of phone grip.

Unfortunately, to compensate for the "bigger is better" mentality of the masses, these ergonomics had to go out the window.  The iPhone is now unapologetically a two-handed phone.  Can you use the bigger phones one-handed?  Maybe.  Your mileage will vary depending on the gymnastic skills of your fingers and hands AND the risk you want to assume by jostling the device in your palm.

Sadly, with these considerations in mind, an SE2 with an edge-to-edge display may not tick all the right boxes for everyone...
  • Reply 15 of 25
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    tadd said:

That's 0.34" wider.  

Phones are three-dimensional. Why did you leave out the fact that the SE is considerably thicker?
    Dunno.  I never had an SE.  I went from a 5 to a 7 and the difference was tragic for me.  Going from the 7 to the X wasn't as important [to me].  I'm still wistful about the size of the 5. 
    I'm not really professionally comparing phones.. I just thought it was odd that the article was making as if the phones aren't truly that much bigger.  It would be really cool if they offered form factors at all ends of the possible size spectrum.  I understand why they don't.  I'm really amazed that Apple makes so many sizes of iPad. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 25
    ne4now76 said:

Seriously? 

- You didn’t know Jobs, you have no idea what he would like. He was known for doing 180 on an idea, so you don’t even have historic record on your side. 

- The lens bump isn’t hideous. It looks sweet. More, I don’t care and have never cared, as it’s the pictures taken that are meaningful in life, not the fucking back of the thing that took em. 

- Apple hasn’t had the market share of smartphones (but does enjoy the profit share). It doesn’t chase market share at the expense of quality product and profitability of product. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 25
    maestro64 said:
    Mike, 

You could not just put in direct downloadable link on AI website, you send us to a website which requires us to sign up for an account or long in with Google or Facebook and there was this whole discussion here about those two companies tracking everything anyone does.
    I was wondering the exact same thing. There is no need for us to jump through these hoops. If you would please, entertain us and explain to the AI community the reasoning for this.
    Also, why do we never see an app update for Appleinsider? For a website that espouses a wealth of technology oriented knowledge related to both hardware and software, it's own app just plain stinks.

• Reply 18 of 25
    Hi Mike,
    I’m wondering what’s happen with my post? What was wrong with it?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    ne4now76 said:

Seriously? 

Given that the "5SE" doesn't exist, I'm going to assume you're talking about the iPhone SE. Nice invoking the dead guy, too. You have no idea what Steve would think now, because ideas and viewpoints change, nor does anybody else nearly a decade after his death, and more than a decade since he ceded control of the company.

Like we've said, we're not opposed to the SE philosophically. Some here want one. But, appealing to a CEO from a decade ago, and what worked then versus now, does your argument no favors.
    Yes, totally -- particularly as you explicitly specified what he would think now.
    Like any thoughtful, intelligent person, his thoughts and ideas changed when the facts and circumstances changed.

I think what many forget or overlook, is that Steve favored a smaller phone because nobody likes holding a brick to their ear.   But since then the use of smart phones has shifted away from being used as phones and more towards being used as hand held computers -- which changes the equation.  So I doubt that Steve would be pushing small phones instead of larger phones today.

But, that said, for many, a smaller phone works better because it is more mobile and easily portable.  
    For kids, it is easier to handle and fit into a smaller pocket.
    For workers one can bend and stoop easier with it in their pocket
    For athletes both serious and casual it is easier to carry while working out.

Likewise Steve cut back on Apple products when the company was over extended in favor of just a few highly desirable products.  But today, Apple is not overextended.  If anything it is underextended.   So, Steve might likely be looking at ways to fill holes in the company's product line.

Steve transcended technology and was able to match technology to user wants and needs -- even before they knew that they needed it.  I think Steve would back an SE sized phone today (but with a full, no-bezel screen) because it's logical and meets people's needs without adding a lot of extra overhead for Apple.

For myself:   I plan on inheriting my grandson's Xr in a year or two.  And, that means I'll need to upgrade to a newer Apple Watch with LTE because I won't be able to carry that big brick around when I work or run.   So, an upgraded Apple Watch with LTE will enable me to leave the phone at home or in my car and still be safe and able to call for help if needed.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 20 of 25
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    I always thought the original iPhone form factor was a bit on the small side and actually appreciate the larger screens, but I also like a phone I can easily use one-handed.  I currently have a 6 Plus, which I like, but even with large hands, it's a little TOO big.  I still like the screen size, though.  Since I'm (over?)due for an update, I'm eyeing the 11 Pro - a bigger screen in a smaller phone.  Win-win!