Apple Watch Series 5 -- hands on and first impressions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    kevin kee said:
    Series 5 looks sleek (still debating about Titanium version). Unfortunately I am not in Watch market this year as I just bought Series 4 last year and still love it to bit.
    I'm glad I waited. This is the first version that has it all.
    Not quite all; as it still requires an iPhone to be fully functional.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    jcc said:
    Can you actually turn off the always on feature? I would like it if we can have the screen turn on only if I touch the screen or crown. That way I can extend the battery life even more.
    TBD. I’m with you. But I’m buying it anyway.
    If there were at least an option to turn the screen completely off at night, and revert to the old behavior then, that would be really nice.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Curiosity question as a non-watch-owner:  If someone was really into the miraculous health/medical tracking the watch provides, I wonder if it's possible to have two watches on one "account".  Then one can track heart-stuff & movement during the day, and full-on sleep-tracking at night.  Most complete health profile possible....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Curiosity question as a non-watch-owner:  If someone was really into the miraculous health/medical tracking the watch provides, I wonder if it's possible to have two watches on one "account".  Then one can track heart-stuff & movement during the day, and full-on sleep-tracking at night.  Most complete health profile possible....
    I’m doing that every night for the past year with my S3 (at day) and S0 (at night). 
    netroxrandominternetpersonAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    DanneDJDanneDJ Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    matrix077 said:
    I’m doing that every night for the past year with my S3 (at day) and S0 (at night). 
    Wich sleeptracking app are you using?
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    docno42 said:
    The titanium is intriguing, but I still prefer the lightest weight option - aluminum.  Which, as a Cheap Bastard™, also rewards me from that perspective too :)
    You get what you pay for. The aluminum finish is easier to damage, plus those models come with glass rather than a sapphire crystal. To get the scratch resistant sapphire you have to upgrade to the stainless steel or titanium case versions (or ceramic).
    edited September 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    DanneDJ said:
    matrix077 said:
    Wich sleeptracking app are you using?
    AutoSleep. Very happy with it. 
    DanneDJnetroxAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Thanks all for the good discussion.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    matrix077 said:
    I've been wondering about that and glad this answers my question! 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 39
    egold44 said:
    Apple Insider, Could I please request a deeper dig into contrasting the S5 chip in Series 5 versus the S4 chip in the model discontinued today?

From what I can tell, they’re both advertised as being 2x faster than the S3 chip, both dual core, so what gives?

We’re not used to Apple slapping on a new chip name without some improvements, but does this new watch iteration only have a new display allowing for “always on,” and a compass?

Thank you,
    A Loyal Reader
    Watch the video of the presentation. It’s a different processor with Low Temperature Poly Silicon and Oxide (LTPO) screen that allows variable screen refresh from 60Hz to 1 hert/sec, a new ambient light sensor, a new low power display driver, and an Ultra Efficient Power Management Integrated Circuit which all work seamlessly together. You know it’s gotta be a new processor because the display is ALWAYS ON yet it continues to get 18 hour battery life. The insides are all new and improved.
    Thank you
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    jcc said:
    Can you actually turn off the always on feature? I would like it if we can have the screen turn on only if I touch the screen or crown. That way I can extend the battery life even more.
    TBD. I’m with you. But I’m buying it anyway.
    If there were at least an option to turn the screen completely off at night, and revert to the old behavior then, that would be really nice.
    There has to be, right?  There's no way Apple didn't include a way to shut off the screen on demand.  I'll see if I can't find confirmation of this somehow.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    egold44 said:
    Apple Insider, Could I please request a deeper dig into contrasting the S5 chip in Series 5 versus the S4 chip in the model discontinued today?

From what I can tell, they’re both advertised as being 2x faster than the S3 chip, both dual core, so what gives?

We’re not used to Apple slapping on a new chip name without some improvements, but does this new watch iteration only have a new display allowing for “always on,” and a compass?

Thank you,
    A Loyal Reader
    My guess is that the S5 chip isn't really any faster than the S4 which is why they didn't mention it in the keynote.  It's just more efficient to make the always-on display possible.

If S4 = 2 x S3 and S5= 2 x S3, then S4 = S5.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    neilm said:
    docno42 said:
    The titanium is intriguing, but I still prefer the lightest weight option - aluminum.  Which, as a Cheap Bastard™, also rewards me from that perspective too :)
    You get what you pay for. The aluminum finish is easier to damage, plus those models come with glass rather than a sapphire crystal. To get the scratch resistant sapphire you have to upgrade to the stainless steel or titanium case versions (or ceramic).
    Unfortunately (for me, at least), stainless steel, titanium, and ceramic cases are only offered with cellular service which I am not interested in, and costs $100 more than it would if there was a non-cellular option.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    I would like always on to work at night while charging. New functionality as a nightstand clock. Very frustrating that the always on requires it be on my wrist. Maybe I’ll charge it in the morning while getting ready for the day. 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Titanium on the way!  Showing up 9/20  :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I've been waiting for always-on since day 1.

BUT lately I've been dreading the day always-on becomes reality. The "turned-off display" black Watch face has become iconic. I'm gonna miss seeing the sleek, minimal, Apple-like, black Watches on everyone's wrist around town....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I really like the look of Ti, but the $849 is more than feels 'right' to pay for the Watch. Ti may be tougher than Al but the latter is pretty scratch and dent resistant in its own right. Mine has been bumped around a bit and both the case and crystal are pristine.

The Stainless Steel Watch is extremely prone to scratching and has incurred one very small but real dent. The scratches will buff right out ( :D )  but the dent won't.

So I'll probably go with a Nike S5 in aluminum. Weight is not an issue for me. After < 5min I don't even realize it's not my Al.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    neilm said:
    docno42 said:
    I considered that but if I buy a new one every 2 years it becomes a no brainer.  Moving from series 3 to series 5.
    docno42
  • Reply 39 of 39
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    nht said:
    neilm said:
    I considered that but if I buy a new one every 2 years it becomes a no brainer.  Moving from series 3 to series 5.
    Exactly.  Had aluminum, stainless and now back to aluminum.  My series 0 lasted twice as long as the stainless series 2 but didn't look nearly as worse for wear.  Crystal vs. glass was a wash. 

Aluminum and titanium were very close for weight - held both in the store. The bands probably tilt the scale more than the bodies.  Still am more than happy with my aluminum.  If I had money to burn would I take the titanium?  Sure!  I do really like the brushed metal look - but not on something that has a 4 year life span at the extreme :/
    edited October 2019