Popular iPhone XR 'saved' Apple, says report

Posted:
in General Discussion
An online marketing group has published research data that shows how important the iPhone XR was to Apple -- and claims that it even 'saved' the company.

Apple's iPhone XR
Apple's iPhone XR

Global affiliate marketing group Awin claims that the success of the iPhone XR was so significant that it "saved Apple." Despite lacking the features of its more expensive siblings last year, the company's research data says that it dramatically outsold those other phones both at launch and has consistently done well since then.

Awin is not an Apple reseller, but it has a global network of advertisers and derives its data from that ad network. Specifically, the data is harvested from the ads that it serves, and what devices are used to view them.

"Whilst our data shows a rather healthy launch for the XS," says the company in a blog post, "the XR's launch the following month was +146% times larger. It seemed that for the average consumer the price saving was worth the loss of features, and the iPhone XR looked the part of a new iPhone and that was what mattered most to users."

That yellow spike in the numbers is the iPhone XR. (Source: Awin)
That yellow spike in the numbers is the iPhone XR. (Source: Awin)

That presumption about looks being key notwithstanding, Awin's actual data suggests that the iPhone XR has been a consistent source of revenue for Apple. It appears to have been much more profitable and steady than even the previous year's iPhone X.

Analysing its data back to January 2018, Awin claims that the iPhone X was quickly beaten in sales by Apple's cheaper iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models.

"However, following its launch, the iPhone XR has continued to be the best seller not only within the iPhone market, but amongst all handsets sold across the network," continues the company.

"Our look at the top handset manufacturers in 2018 would have suggested that Apple was likely going to lose share in 2019, however, the data to date shows Apple's share has grown even despite gains from the likes of Huawei and Google. We believe the data shows that the iPhone XR is the sole reason for this. You could even say that the iPhone XR saved Apple."

How Apple's brand share changed over 2018 and 2019 to date. (Source: Awin)
How Apple's brand share changed over 2018 and 2019 to date. (Source: Awin)

The company expects that price-conscious buyers will make the iPhone 11 be the bestselling iPhone of the new range. "However, the iPhone XR remaining on sale... may allow Apple to test performance against the likes of Huawei."

Awin surmises that the success of the cheapest iPhone reflects a problem all companies are having with explaining the benefits of their higher-price offerings.

"The fact that a brand as powerful and as valuable as Apple was unable to convince consumers to go for a higher quality product shows the challenge in consumer education within the technology and telecoms sectors," says the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    A bit over the top exaggerated title - no one is going to buy it. That alone indicates that this is a worthless article to read.
    razorpitsteven n.lkruppcornchipjahbladetmaytjwolfnetmagemattinoz
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Talk about hyperbole. Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy when iPhone XR was released. Right. /s

the XR was a solid product at a great price point. I am sure Apple knows the fungibility of its products and knew they had to fill in a price point. 
    muthuk_vanalingamtmaycharlesgresAppleExposednetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Read the title and jumped to the comments to type.......... 😱
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    “Saved Apple” from what? I’am more interested in knowing what other types of information they are gathering in addition to what model phones are being used to look at their ads.
    muthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwichAppleExposednetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    A bit over the top exaggerated title - no one is going to buy it. That alone indicates that this is a worthless article to read.
    An online marketing group has published research data that shows how important the iPhone XR was to Apple -- and claims that it even 'saved' the company.

They are reporting on a marketing group's claim.  Get over yourself.. sheesh .. 
    cflcardsfan80watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Read the title and jumped to the comments to type..........  :'(

macgui
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Yes the “saved Apple” take is hyperbole, but it’s quite clear that the XR was essential to maintaining sales.  It was the definitive iPhone for most people and arguably their strongest new iPhone product release in quite a while, in terms of a innovative new phone that people both wanted and could afford.  It’s good to see Apple recognising that proper hierarchy now in the new branding.
    edited September 2019 elijahgMplsPradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    I think even Apple encourage users to buy XR by changing it name to iPhone 11.

Personally though it'll be iPhone 11 Pro for me.
    netmageradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And Microsoft didn’t “save” Apple either. Steve Jobs saved Apple by ending the war with Microsoft and producing a product line that people wanted to buy.
    cflcardsfan80AppleExposednetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Apple has done with its iPhone lineup what it did with its Mac lineup and what it did with the iPod lineup.
    If these so called marketing firms have been paying attention, they would’ve known this instead of blurting out nonsense. 
    In fact all they had to do is listen to tech bloggers and most would’ve told them that the XR and this year’s 11 is the iPhone to get for the vast majority of users. 

cflcardsfan80netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    That’s rich.

the way I first read it I thought apple was going to continue selling the XR... that’s how nonsensical that title is. My brain tried to make it make sense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    cornchip said:
    That’s rich.

the way I first read it I thought apple was going to continue selling the XR... that’s how nonsensical that title is. My brain tried to make it make sense.
    Good news, they are, for $599.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/09/10/the-iphone-8-is-now-449-and-the-iphone-xr-is-599
    AppleExposedPickUrPoisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Damn you Mike, I was going to post that. Now I have nothing to post so...

I guess I'll just leave.

Toodles
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The data suggests that Apple found the point of demand destruction with the XS and XS Max phones.

As iPhone sales stopped growing, Apple grew revenue by pushing the average selling price upward and it worked for a season.

I would expect that Apple would put additional emphasis on the midline and entry level markets going forward.
    daventmaycflcardsfan80watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    I agree with @petri - ‘saved Apple’ is clearly hyperbole, but the XR was also clearly important to Apple’s sales figures and bottom line. 

The XR was/is a solid phone that made few compromises for the cost savings it gave over the Xs. Clearly there were a lot of consumers who felt $1000 was too much for a phone. The fact that Apple continued, introducing the 11 at $700 is evidence that they recognized this as well. 

petrientropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MplsP said:
    I agree with @petri - ‘saved Apple’ is clearly hyperbole, but the XR was also clearly important to Apple’s sales figures and bottom line. 

The XR was/is a solid phone that made few compromises for the cost savings it gave over the Xs. Clearly there were a lot of consumers who felt $1000 was too much for a phone. The fact that Apple continued, introducing the 11 at $700 is evidence that they recognized this as well. 

But the Galaxy Fold is $2G and it will sell like hotcakes.  B)
    cflcardsfan80macguiAppleExposedFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Saved Apple is obvious hyperbole.  But their overall point tracks with information from other analysts.  A couple of days ago I posted this chart from reporting that showed the significance of the XR with no hyperbole.  Worth adding to this thread.  Hopefully it takes the focus of the conversation off the hyperbole and puts it on the XR.  Say what you will about analyst' estimates, but if this estimate is even remotely true it demonstrates what a sales beast the XR has been.

edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Anyone remember the iPhone 5C?  It was a lower priced colorful alternative.  It did not perform anywhere near the level of the XR.  The XR is just the right phone at the right time.  The features of the top models have pushed prices past what most consumers are willing to spend.  The X and 11 fill a niche, and I am in that niche.  I love all the colors but when it comes down to it performance and camera are most important to me. 
    cflcardsfan80netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    I got 4 IPhone XRs last december for a family plan. If I had to buy one or two, may have gone for the OLED models, but when your kids are on the plan as well, price does come into play.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    That alone indicates that this is a worthless article to read.
    Obviously, you didn't read it, which explains the worthlessness of your post. That alone indicates your posts should be ignored.

pigybank said:
    Anyone remember the iPhone 5C?  It was a lower priced colorful alternative.  It did not perform anywhere near the level of the XR.
    I do. They looked great, but not what I wanted in a phone, so it was the 5s for me. Still, ad bad a 'failure' as haters wanted it to be, it's 'failure' numbers would have made just about every other phone manufacturer giddy to equal.

Other companies fail when they lose money. Apple fails when it makes money, just not as much as pundits think (ha!) they should have. AAPL go under any day now, if they keep that up.
    AppleExposedtobianwatto_cobra