Compared: Apple 2019 iPad 7th generation vs 6th and 5th generations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
We pick over the bones of the last three iPads to see what you get, what's really new about the iPad 7th generation vs 6th -- and whether it's worth buying the older devices.

Apple's new 7th Generation iPad
Apple's new seventh Generation iPad

While Apple has just brought out its latest iPad, and used the much-awaited, high-profile September 10 iPhone event in which to do it, you can still readily get the previous models. Even if Apple isn't selling them, you can pick up a sixth or even fifth generation iPad online, and that means you have choices.

This entry-level iPad has traditionally sat on its own, unlike the iPad Pro which always comes in a couple of different editions at a time. This iPad is Apple's way of saying it's simple, buy this one. And at $329, it's as close to cheap as Apple will ever go.

Very often, though, it's worth checking out the most recent previous editions because aren't always that much different and, depending where and when you buy them, they can represent more of a bargain.

In this case, though, just take a look at precisely how the new seventh generation iPad compares to the fifth and sixth generation models.

iPad (Fifth)iPad (Sixth)iPad (Seventh)
Screen size9.79.710.2
Screen resolution (pixels)2048x1536 at 264dpi2048x1536 at 264dpi2160x1620 at 264dpi
Screen brightness (nits)500500500
ProcessorA9A10 FusionA10 Fusion
Apple PencilNoFirst GenerationFirst Generation
Smart ConnectorNoNoYes
Dimensions (inches)9.4x6.6x0.299.4x6.6x0.299.8x6.8x0.29
Weight (lbs)1.031.031.07
Battery (hours)Up to 10Up to 10Up to 10
Rear Camera (megapixels)888
Front Camera (megapixels)1.21.21.2
Video1080p1080p1080p
BiometricTouch IDTouch IDTouch ID

If you search online, you're likely to find a fifth or sixth generation iPad for less than the $329 that they or the seventh originally retailed at (the last-gen 2018 9.7-inch iPad is currently on sale for $249). Unusually, though, it's also true that you will find extremely little difference between these three generations. There are differences that are significant, but really, working through all of these specifications meant wondering what was actually new about the new iPad.

What's actually new

The answer, of course, is the screen size. That is the chief reason to buy a new iPad instead of an older model. Where the previous six generations of the iPad have had a 9.7-inch screen, the new one has a 10.2-inch display. Half an inch may not sound as if it should set the world alight, but try comparing the two and you'll see the new one is enormously better.

And if you don't think that, then try going back to the 9.7-inch screen. Size matters and 10.2-inches is a better size than the old 9.7-inch. That's also because alongside the larger dimensions, the screen has a greater pixel count so that overall the image quality is as good as it was before, even though it's spread out over a larger area.

That's really it, though. You'll see and, perhaps more importantly, feel a performance difference between the fifth and the seventh generation, too. That's because the fifth runs on an Apple A9 processor whereas the seventh uses the A10 Fusion. Only, so does the sixth generation.

The only other significant difference you can find between these three most recent generations is that the fifth can't support the Apple Pencil. The sixth and new seventh can, though in both cases it is solely the first-generation Apple Pencil that you can use with them, not the second.

Which means this. If you already have a fifth or sixth generation iPad, you're not getting a lot from the new one, and you should probably just stick with it.

If you're in the market for a new iPad, though, just go right ahead and buy the seventh generation one. You might, conceivably, save a buck or two if you shop smartly and quickly, but this is one case where you won't get any other benefit from buying the older model.

It's just unfortunately also that you won't get a giant benefit from buying the new one, although that larger screen is compelling.

Where to buy

Apple's latest 10.2-inch iPad is currently available for purchase from multiple Apple Authorized Resellers. In the case of Adorama, the prices shown are the final prices for shoppers in 46 states. B&H is also throwing in free expedited shipping within the contiguous U.S. on 7th generation iPad orders. To compare the latest prices on the Apple 2019 iPad 7th generation vs 6th generation, be sure to check out our iPad Price Guide.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Confused about the new size. Wouldn’t it have made more sense to de-spec the Air and offer that for $329? Or is 0.3” of screen really that much more expensive?
    edited September 2019 curtis hannah
  • Reply 2 of 23
    This was a really odd move by Apple, why did they add another iPad screen size, while killing the original? It is also still not laminated unlike the slightly larger iPad Air. It is also one of the very rare times they didn't just update the processor, it would have made sense to update it to update it to the A11 or A12 processor and add the smart connector like the previous generation.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Please add the iPad Air and iPad mini in that comparison -- with pricing.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Please add the iPad Air and iPad mini in that comparison -- with pricing.
    What you ask will be a different piece.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Is there any improvement on the air gap between the display and the glass?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This was a really odd move by Apple, why did they add another iPad screen size, while killing the original? It is also still not laminated unlike the slightly larger iPad Air. It is also one of the very rare times they didn't just update the processor, it would have made sense to update it to update it to the A11 or A12 processor and add the smart connector like the previous generation.
    Yep, my grandma wants an iPad, and this would have been a no-brainer for me, if it had the A11 chip. As it stands, I could save $100+ and get the 6th gen refurb, losing only pencil/Apple KB support (which she won't use anyway) and 0.5" screen size.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Kind of answered your own question? They increased the base model screen size to 10.2” diagonal. They didn’t really add another screen size. Matters to developers maybe, but for consumers, the 10.2” will be a better tablet than the 9.7”. They made the display 10% larger for only a 4% weight increase. That’s a good tradeoff.

You might argue what Hentaiboy asked, just de-feature the 10.5 Air some more instead of building a new assembly line or process for the base model, but there is better mass production economics for the base model as it is likely the vast majority of iPad sales. It is the right thing to do. In light of this, the Air and mini are simply modifications of the prior 10.5 Pro and the mini and likely had a minimum of development for its production line, using the existing lines from the 10.5 Pro and mini. But, who knows.

I do think the larger display size is a very good thing to do. They increased it 10% over the 9.7” at the cost of only 4% in weight. That’s a great trade. For the iPad Pro models, I think they should increase screen sizes further, and change the aspect ratio, to something like 5:4 11.5” and 5:4 13.5” sizes. A 15” model even. If they are compete against laptops, they should have laptop sized displays too.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    One of my complaints about the 'standard' 9.7" iPad size is that keyboards need to be compressed. I have bigger hands and it makes it difficult to type on my wife's 9.7" iPad. I'm curious to see if the extra 0.5" on the 10.2" is enough to make it more usable.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    hentaiboy said:
    Confused about the new size. Wouldn’t it have made more sense to de-spec the Air and offer that for $329? Or is 0.3” of screen really that much more expensive?
    Or Apple could have updated the iPad 7 to an A12 SoC and drop the iPad Air 3.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    slurpy said:
    Yep, my grandma wants an iPad, and this would have been a no-brainer for me, if it had the A11 chip. As it stands, I could save $100+ and get the 6th gen refurb, losing only pencil/Apple KB support (which she won't use anyway) and 0.5" screen size.
    What does grandma do that she needs an A11 and not an A10 in her entry-level ipad? (Seems to me this is a spec enthusiasts think about but not one most normals do)
    edited September 2019 macplusplusseanismorrischia
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Half an inch may not sound as if it should set the world alight, but try comparing the two and you'll see the new one is enormously better.

Hmm. It is only 10% more square inches and 11% more pixels. Like the commenter above, I don't really understand why they bothered to make this size change. I wonder if it was about something else, like battery or better fitting the keyboard...
  • Reply 12 of 23
    slurpy said:
    What does grandma do that she needs an A11 and not an A10 in her entry-level ipad? (Seems to me this is a spec enthusiasts think about but not one most normals do)
    Yeah, uninformed normals would not know that A11 would be able to handle iOS updates better for at least 1 more year comfortably than A10. But informed users should close their eyes blindly and not even ask basic questions, because Apple shareholders like you will decide everything in the best interests of Apple's customers, right?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Yeah, this is one of the pointless "upgrade???" in iPad lineup, competing with iPad Mini 2 to Mini 3 upgrade for the most pointless of upgrades ever in the lineup.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    hentaiboy said:
    Or Apple could have updated the iPad 7 to an A12 SoC and drop the iPad Air 3.
    Why would Apple want to drop the iPad Air 3? It’s the best choice for many, unless only price matters—or conversely, doesn’t matter at all.

It seems like there’s plenty of room for an iPad to live between a $299 education-targeted model and a cost-be-damned $799 iPad Pro. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 15 of 23
    @AI

“What’s New?”

After complaining (whining) that the iPad didn’t have a smart connector, I’m very surprised that, no t only is it not mentioned in the article, but, it’s not the first thing you talk about. :P
  • Reply 16 of 23
    tht said:
    I do think the larger display size is a very good thing to do. They increased it 10% over the 9.7” at the cost of only 4% in weight. That’s a great trade. For the iPad Pro models, I think they should increase screen sizes further, and change the aspect ratio, to something like 5:4 11.5” and 5:4 13.5” sizes. A 15” model even. If they are compete against laptops, they should have laptop sized displays too.
    They already have the 12.9" pro so I don't know how many more people are willing to spend $1K+ on a tablet.  They would also have to make matching covers and keyboards for each size.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    benji888 said:
    @AI

“What’s New?”

After complaining (whining) that the iPad didn’t have a smart connector, I’m very surprised that, no t only is it not mentioned in the article, but, it’s not the first thing you talk about. :P
    The Smart Connector is in the table in this article, so it is mentioned if not discussed. And, opinions vary on the importance of it amongst the staff.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    What really made my eyebrows raise was that it sports an A10 processor -- that's now 3 (or 4 depending on how you count) generations back from their current processor.  And, to me that says two important things:
    1)   They plan to support A10 devices like the iPhone 7 for a number of years.   I was expecting about 2 more years for my iPhone 7.  But it now looks like Apple may support it much longer than that.
    2)  The A series processors are so powerful that they still market a very viable product with a 3 year old processor!   In a way it makes the need for an A13 somewhat questionable -- at least for the standard stuff that was done on iPhone 7's (like YouTube, Facebook, etc.).   But it may also speak to future demands such as AR and AI that demand high powered processors -- and then we get to the stuff that 5G could open up.

Basically, putting an A10 into a brand new product changes a lot of rules and assumptions.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    sarthos said:
    tht said:
    They already have the 12.9" pro so I don't know how many more people are willing to spend $1K+ on a tablet.  They would also have to make matching covers and keyboards for each size.
    Yes, they have an iPad Pro with a 12.9” 4:3 display. I plan on buying the 2019 successor model this Fall. I use it as my only primary personal computer.

I am saying, however, they should make that model bigger, to something like 13.8” 5:4. Essentially 8.5x11 inch class. I’m one of those crazy people who exclusively use my 10.5 Pro without any covers or keyboards. Just a sleeve for carrying around. I use the software keyboard to type (as I am doing right now) and a Pencil to draw, annotate, signing, etc.

I didn’t get the 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 because of software. I didn’t think the larger screen was getting me much more on the 10.5 with iOS 10/11. Now with iPadOS, looks like the screen real estate will be more effective, a large screen iPad is definitely something I want. A more and more optimized software keyboard is definitely something I want.

As people use iPads for more and more complex things, larger and larger screen sizes will be more attractive. So, there will be a market for even a 15” model a couple years down the road, especially if apps like FCPX, LPX, just about any programming. There is already a bunch of content creation stuff that could use a 15” class display, with Photoshop coming.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    What really made my eyebrows raise was that it sports an A10 processor -- that's now 3 (or 4 depending on how you count) generations back from their current processor.  And, to me that says two important things:
    1)   They plan to support A10 devices like the iPhone 7 for a number of years.   I was expecting about 2 more years for my iPhone 7.  But it now looks like Apple may support it much longer than that.
    2)  The A series processors are so powerful that they still market a very viable product with a 3 year old processor!   In a way it makes the need for an A13 somewhat questionable -- at least for the standard stuff that was done on iPhone 7's (like YouTube, Facebook, etc.).   But it may also speak to future demands such as AR and AI that demand high powered processors -- and then we get to the stuff that 5G could open up.

Basically, putting an A10 into a brand new product changes a lot of rules and assumptions.
    Yup. The A10 has more performance than 90% (100?) of the Intel CPUs used in the super cheap tier of devices, like tablets, Chromebooks, etc. The A10 is 2x as fast the Pentium 4415 (1.6 GHz Kaby Lake) in the Surface Go. No Atom based chips come close. The high end Snapdragon ARM chips are competitive to it now, but not sure if they hit $300 price points. It’s fine for another couple years.

But like usual, you want more, pay more. The Air as an A12. The Pros have A12X, but will likely be A13X by the end of year. If the rumored gains pan out, the A12X is basically as fast at 15 to 25 W Intel CPUs going into >$1000 laptops. It’s a good deal. The only big issue is Apple letting the software “free” and letting people really compute on it.
    GeorgeBMac