iPhone 11 line may have bilateral charging hardware, but turned off in iOS

Posted:
in General Discussion
According to a frequent and reliable iPhone info leaker, the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro feature the hardware required for wireless charging of something like the AirPods Wireless Charging Case, but it is currently disabled in software.

iPhone 11 Pro

The story went public on Twitter via Sonny Dickson, who claims to have gotten the information from a reliable source.

Reliable sources are saying iPhone 11 and 11 Pro do include the hardware for bilateral charging, but that it is software disabled. Uncertain whether this was removed prior to final production run.

-- Sonny Dickson (@SonnyDickson)

Bilateral charging, or two-way charging, would allow the iPhone device to charge another device. It works in a fashion similar to charging a device on a wireless charging pad. Samsung's Galaxy line is well known for already utilizing this feature.

Apple analysts had predicted that the new iPhone 11 line would feature bilateral charging, giving users the ability to charge other wireless-charging enabled iPhones, as well as AirPods and the Apple Watch.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had originally made a claim that the iPhone 11 line would include bilateral charging capabilities. Later, he had revised the statement as the system might not meet Apple's requirements, due to inadequate charging efficiency.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    That was pretty much my guess a few days ago when Apple talked about the much longer run times. 
    muthuk_vanalingamnetroxJaphey
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Apple has previously had hardware capabilities that were never utilized in the software/OS.
    They have also had hardware capabilities that were later enabled via software updates.

It is difficult to know what will happen with this.
    cornchipllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Guessing the tracking pucks weren’t ready in time so they’re leaving it off until development wraps up on those.

edit - guess they’re more like coins than pucks
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    cornchip said:
    Guessing the tracking pucks weren’t ready in time so they’re leaving it off until development wraps up on those.

edit - guess they’re more like coins than pucks
    Cue the jailbreakers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Whether it shows potential for ARM Macbook then it is super. Benchmarks against A12X or A13X will be interesting.

Real question what kind of software you can run on it. If Apple has this problem solved, then they would probably made ARM Macbook already.

sandor said:
    Apple has previously had hardware capabilities that were never utilized in the software/OS.
    They have also had hardware capabilities that were later enabled via software updates.

It is difficult to know what will happen with this.
    Exactly. We can hardly know whether they will find functionality not ready for consumers at level Apple expect so may have to wait for software tune up or maybe next iPhone with better HW. But anyway thanks that owners of Pro models will enjoy super prolonged battery time that would probably have not happened otherwise.
    sandorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    So this could be reason there is iOS 13 and 13.1 due so close together?  Will wait for 13.1 even though not using new phone
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I imagine we'll know one way or another very soon.  iFixit will surely provide verification as soon as they get their hands on the phones.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Some lawyer somewhere is considering the options for a class-action law suit in the new future.  Perhaps it's not too late for the Congressional Committee to add this to their demands for all communications regarding this decision.
    AppleExposedwonkothesanewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    gatorguy said:
    That was pretty much my guess a few days ago when Apple talked about the much longer run times. 
    I thought the same thing, figured that the extra oomph in battery was supposed to be for recharging airpods or watch. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I'm thinking there might be a hardware issue at the moment as mentioned, or that Apple might want the 11s to live in the wild with the longer battery life for awhile establishing the improvement, before turning on the bi-network and people use it and simultaneously whine 'Where's the battery??'.

Then they have to make a 'can't have your cake and eat it too' press release or Support document, after which the tech media reports 'Apple backpedals extra battery life!'

PetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    gatorguy said:
    I think you were the first person who made that call. Didn’t you also suggest at the time that it would probably be activated through a firmware update? I agree that’s probably more likely than a software update.  Either way, hopefully we won’t have to wait very long to find out. 
    edited September 2019 gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Wish they’d activate bilateral data-sharing (wireless or cable).
  • Reply 13 of 18
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Possibly waiting for an innovative new product to be announced in November.

I'm guessing Airpods or those tags.

Either way I think the idea is dumb. But Apple may change my mind as always as they strategically add features instead of ticking a box.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    macgui said:
    I'm thinking there might be a hardware issue at the moment as mentioned, or that Apple might want the 11s to live in the wild with the longer battery life for awhile establishing the improvement, before turning on the bi-network and people use it and simultaneously whine 'Where's the battery??'.

Then they have to make a 'can't have your cake and eat it too' press release or Support document, after which the tech media reports 'Apple backpedals extra battery life!'

Sadly, you’re right. People would use their phone to charge stuff then complain that the phone’s battery life sucks. 

Honestly, I really can’t see much of a use for ‘reverse’ charging anyway. 
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
      I think bilateral changing is simply not enabled because it’s not ready.  

Its also a so a gimmick for the 5% of users who might need to use it, but that’s my IMHO.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    It somehow reminds me of when wireless charging was introduced with the 8 and X phones - they limited it to 5 watts in the beginning and then an iOS update turned on 7.5 watts...  why wait then and why wait now is my point...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I imagine we'll know one way or another very soon.  iFixit will surely provide verification as soon as they get their hands on the phones.

Not necessarily. The coil is already present for regular wireless charging. The only thing different would be the power management chip, and I doubt iFixit could determine how it operates just by looking at it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I think it would work better as a feature if it only worked while the phone itself is plugged in and charging. This way it overcomes the inefficiencies of wireless transfer and the phone accidentally trying to charge something poorly aligned in your pocket. The real use case is being able to charge both a phone and watch (or airpods) overnight using a single charger.
    watto_cobra