Review: Apple Card is more of an experience than a reward generator

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    macgui said:
    Fatman said:
    The article is unclear/ not correct  
    The article is perfectly clear and correct. You are stating what the article already said. A lot of people don't understand that Apple Pay and Apple Card are two different things.  The article said 2% for Apple Pay. That means a site that accepts Apple Pay or a store with an NFC reader that accepts Apple Pay. Any other use of the card – swiping the physical card or using the Wallet information for an online purchase that doesn't take Apple Pay gets you 1%. The article is correct.

Or, for myself, since I don't want to link my bank account, I'll transfer money to AppleCash using my bank's debit card and use that to pay the bill.
    Not possible, as far as I could tell. I would rather not let G-S dip into my bank account, but I believe a bank must be linked to the card in order to pay it. I put money from my debit card into Apple Cash but when I pressed Pay Now I got 'Transaction Not Completed' every time. Some website showed that linked to a bank, you then have the option of paying from Apple Cash by pushing a button. So I it looks like I'll have to live with G-S's mitts (I won't schedule a payment; zero balance as always) or link the card, pay the balance, and drop the card.

stevefromstatefarm said:
    I received the physical Apple Card in the mail, but unless the wallet app notifies you that the card has shipped, you cannot activate your physical AppleCard.
    I wonder why you'd activated the card before it ships? Once approved, I immediately made the virtual card my primary Apple Pay card and was able to use it. When I got the physical card I activated it and it works fine. But I'd never consider trying to activate it before it actually arrived.

plovell said:
    I'm not sure I like the idea of linking Apple Card to my bank account. I would prefer to pay directly FROM my bank, rather than having Goldman Sachs PULL money from my account.
    I'm with you 100%, but it looks like that's the only way to pay off the card. There is a slim chance that you can use your bank's Bill Pay to send them a payment. I'm trying that, hoping that it works. Otherwise I'll have to link my bank before the end of the month.

iOS_Guy80 said:
    I agree but either way you or your bank are initiating payment from your account by ACH transaction. 
    ACH transaction isn't the issue. It's having G-S (or anybody, for that matter) pulling money from your account instead of your bank doling money out as you direct. Linked to your account, is there anything to stop G-S from literally taking money out of your account, akin to a gym debiting your account for their monthly payments?
    I understand people not trusting the system but G-S states they do not pull money from your account. The reason for the linked bank account is so you can transfer the money to them. Currently this is the only mechanism to pay your bill.
    Actually, that is you giving them permission to pull money from your account.  There is no way for an individual to initiate an ACH transaction.
    My mistake for using the wrong transaction term ACH. I’am not giving permission to G-S to pull funds. I’am initiating payment and sending them funds from my account. At least that is what Apple Card Card customer support says on two different calls.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    macgui said:
    Fatman said:
    The article is unclear/ not correct  
    The article is perfectly clear and correct. You are stating what the article already said. A lot of people don't understand that Apple Pay and Apple Card are two different things.  The article said 2% for Apple Pay. That means a site that accepts Apple Pay or a store with an NFC reader that accepts Apple Pay. Any other use of the card – swiping the physical card or using the Wallet information for an online purchase that doesn't take Apple Pay gets you 1%. The article is correct.

Or, for myself, since I don't want to link my bank account, I'll transfer money to AppleCash using my bank's debit card and use that to pay the bill.
    Not possible, as far as I could tell. I would rather not let G-S dip into my bank account, but I believe a bank must be linked to the card in order to pay it. I put money from my debit card into Apple Cash but when I pressed Pay Now I got 'Transaction Not Completed' every time. Some website showed that linked to a bank, you then have the option of paying from Apple Cash by pushing a button. So I it looks like I'll have to live with G-S's mitts (I won't schedule a payment; zero balance as always) or link the card, pay the balance, and drop the card.

stevefromstatefarm said:
    I received the physical Apple Card in the mail, but unless the wallet app notifies you that the card has shipped, you cannot activate your physical AppleCard.
    I wonder why you'd activated the card before it ships? Once approved, I immediately made the virtual card my primary Apple Pay card and was able to use it. When I got the physical card I activated it and it works fine. But I'd never consider trying to activate it before it actually arrived.

plovell said:
    I'm not sure I like the idea of linking Apple Card to my bank account. I would prefer to pay directly FROM my bank, rather than having Goldman Sachs PULL money from my account.
    I'm with you 100%, but it looks like that's the only way to pay off the card. There is a slim chance that you can use your bank's Bill Pay to send them a payment. I'm trying that, hoping that it works. Otherwise I'll have to link my bank before the end of the month.

iOS_Guy80 said:
    I agree but either way you or your bank are initiating payment from your account by ACH transaction. 
    ACH transaction isn't the issue. It's having G-S (or anybody, for that matter) pulling money from your account instead of your bank doling money out as you direct. Linked to your account, is there anything to stop G-S from literally taking money out of your account, akin to a gym debiting your account for their monthly payments?
    I understand people not trusting the system but G-S states they do not pull money from your account. The reason for the linked bank account is so you can transfer the money to them. Currently this is the only mechanism to pay your bill.
    Actually, that is you giving them permission to pull money from your account.  There is no way for an individual to initiate an ACH transaction.
    My mistake for using the wrong transaction term ACH. I’am not giving permission to G-S to pull funds. I’am initiating payment and sending them funds from my account. At least that is what Apple Card Card customer support says on two different calls.
    No, I don't think so.   You're using ACH.  Or, more correctly, telling Goldman to initiate an ACH. That's just how those types of funds transfers work.   I don't care how Apple's customer support spins it.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    macgui said:
    steveau said:
    The review misses one very important fact: Apple Card is only available in the US, with neither Goldman Sachs nor Apple has yet disclosed when or if it will be available in other countries.
    That's not important at all. Maybe Apple and G-S will offer it outside the US, maybe not. It's not as though Apple said it will be available outside the US.

Its important to me, and - I assume - to all of the other Australian, Canadian, NZ, UK, european, african and asian subscribers to this website.

I know it was mentioned in a earlier post that it will come to other countries sometime, it would be nice to know whether that position has or has not changed.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 44 of 51
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    "Another drawback to titanium is its rigidity. The American Express card is denser, as it is stainless steel, but is more flexible than the lighter titanium Apple Card" question: Ti card is really Ti metal frame or just TiO2 white pigment? As for stainless steel card, is it going to interfere the signal reception either NFC or others? or just SS color? I love transparent AE card design (not the SS mentioned in the article). Clean, minimalistic and good look and feel (far better than black card or others). IMHO. Look like Apple card still in the process to iron out few bugs. I'll wait (not mention hand over money to GS known for hedge fund still need to build up my guts tolerance). thx in advance for answer my question.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    steveau said:
    macgui said:
    steveau said:
    The review misses one very important fact: Apple Card is only available in the US, with neither Goldman Sachs nor Apple has yet disclosed when or if it will be available in other countries.
    That's not important at all. Maybe Apple and G-S will offer it outside the US, maybe not. It's not as though Apple said it will be available outside the US.

Its important to me, and - I assume - to all of the other Australian, Canadian, NZ, UK, european, african and asian subscribers to this website.

I know it was mentioned in a earlier post that it will come to other countries sometime, it would be nice to know whether that position has or has not changed.
    It's still not an important part of this review. Apple has not as yet said it would be available outside of the US now.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    macgui said:

Umm, I was told by Apple Support that using AppleCash would work -- but it was clear that he was a rookie and using logic that "it should work" rather than explicit knowledge of the matter.  But, from all I have seen, it seems to me that it should work too.

I wonder if the problem was that the money you transferred to AppleCash had not physically cleared yet?   Perhaps it might work if you gave it couple days to clear?

I think I will run a test with a small preliminary payment rather than wait till the end of the month when the full bill is due.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!
    It's been several days since I first transferred the money into my Apple Cash and as of today the transaction still won't complete. Apple Cash can be used but there first has to be some link to G-S for it to get the payment.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/use-apple-cash-to-pay-off-apple-card/

I'm guessing that once a link to your bank is established, linking your Apple Cash with the button shown pulls all the money from Apple Cash then the rest from your bank account until the payment is made.

G-S hasn't offered a physical address which is part and parcel for any other credit cards' payment plans. So I'm assuming this is one of the reasons credit accounts are so easily and quickly activated compared to established card issuers.

We initiate payment and send it to G-S, but they always have some signed blank checks handy, just in case. 

I've sent a test payment of $5 to the G-S address another member posted:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    Salt Lake City Branch Lockbox 6112
    PO BOX 7247
    Philadelphia PA 19170-6112posted:

Additionally, when setting that Bill Pay account, and 'Marcus by Goldman-Sachs' was offered as a payee, but with a lightly different address, so I just used the above. It's possible that there might be regional address more appropriate for my location compared to the one offered.

The payment was only $5, so if there's some screwup, I'm not out much. The payment will be sent out today (because of the holiday weekend) so by say– the 10th, if my Apple Cash is debited, I have time to use my Bill Pay for the balance. If it isn't, I have time to link my bank to pay the balance.

The latter is something akin to telling a stranger 'Here, hold my wallet while I...'. I hope your test fares better than my two.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 47 of 51
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macgui said:
    macgui said:

Umm, I was told by Apple Support that using AppleCash would work -- but it was clear that he was a rookie and using logic that "it should work" rather than explicit knowledge of the matter.  But, from all I have seen, it seems to me that it should work too.

I wonder if the problem was that the money you transferred to AppleCash had not physically cleared yet?   Perhaps it might work if you gave it couple days to clear?

I think I will run a test with a small preliminary payment rather than wait till the end of the month when the full bill is due.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!
    It's been several days since I first transferred the money into my Apple Cash and as of today the transaction still won't complete. Apple Cash can be used but there first has to be some link to G-S for it to get the payment.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/use-apple-cash-to-pay-off-apple-card/

I'm guessing that once a link to your bank is established, linking your Apple Cash with the button shown pulls all the money from Apple Cash then the rest from your bank account until the payment is made.

G-S hasn't offered a physical address which is part and parcel for any other credit cards' payment plans. So I'm assuming this is one of the reasons credit accounts are so easily and quickly activated compared to established card issuers.

We initiate payment and send it to G-S, but they always have some signed blank checks handy, just in case. 

I've sent a test payment of $5 to the G-S address another member posted:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    Salt Lake City Branch Lockbox 6112
    PO BOX 7247
    Philadelphia PA 19170-6112posted:

Additionally, when setting that Bill Pay account, and 'Marcus by Goldman-Sachs' was offered as a payee, but with a lightly different address, so I just used the above. It's possible that there might be regional address more appropriate for my location compared to the one offered.

The payment was only $5, so if there's some screwup, I'm not out much. The payment will be sent out today (because of the holiday weekend) so by say– the 10th, if my Apple Cash is debited, I have time to use my Bill Pay for the balance. If it isn't, I have time to link my bank to pay the balance.

The latter is something akin to telling a stranger 'Here, hold my wallet while I...'. I hope your test fares better than my two.

Thanks!   That was helpful!
    I tried it myself but it won't even let me get to the screen to select Apple Cash because its demanding I give it my bank account number first!
    That MIGHT be because my minimum payment is more than than my AppleCash balance, but I doubt it.

It's looking like I'll have to give it bank account info and THEN try to use AppleCash.   The question is:  does it have to be the real account numbers or just anything to get through the screen?

If I have to give it my real account number info, then I'll have to decide if its worth it to keep the card.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 48 of 51
    steveau said:
    The point you miss is that it's still not important to the review you didn't write. Maybe tech reporters for sites in your and the countries you mentioned will write about the state as it exists in those countries.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    plovell said:
    I’ve already made a payment on my Apple Card. No money is “pulled” from your account until you authorize it.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dunks said:
    Just remember kids: If you can’t afford to pay off your balance in full each month you can’t afford a credit card.
    That’s an un-American thing to say. Americans exist on debt and when it gets too burdensome they ask the government to make it go away, like their student loans. It’s all about fairness don’t you know. {cynical sarcasm}