How to choose which iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro to buy

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
You can now order Apple's 2019 iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro line of iPhones -- but which do you choose? AppleInsider breaks down the lineup and provides our recomendations for model, storage, and color.

The 2019 iPhone 11 lineup
The 2019 iPhone 11 lineup

There are many factors that go into picking out an iPhone, namely the color, the size, the model, and the storage. We will tackle these variables one by one.

Storage

When picking out your iPhone, be sure you get enough storage. All three iPhones start at 64GB but we recommend most people will need the 256GB capacity.

Check your storage on your iPhone
Check your storage on your iPhone

A good way to estimate is to check the phone you currently have. Head to Settings > General > iPhone Storage and see how much space you are currently using. If you currently have the 64GB capacity but are bumping up against it, it may be time to spring for the larger storage.

However, if you are well clear of your capacity you have now, stick with the same size.

Color

Choosing a color may seem like a non-issue, but it can be important, depending on how you expect to use your iPhone.

If the iPhone is going in a case right away, color won't really matter. It may be faster to get your hands on gold or silver rather than the more popular space grey or midnight green.

If you plan on keeping your phone around for as long as you can, go with what makes you happy as you'll be looking at it for a long time. If you basically armor your iPhone in an ultra-protective case, this is less important.

The four hues of the iPhone 11 Pro
The four hues of the iPhone 11 Pro

When color can be important is when you plan to sell the phone after a year or so of use. Since the new space grey and midnight green colors are more popular, they will fetch a higher price on the second-hand market, and we aren't expecting this to change any time soon.

So if you plan to sell off that phone, perhaps choose one of the darker colors to get a few more dollars in your pocket when you sell the device.

iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro

The primary decision to be made is whether to go with the iPhone 11 or one of the iPhone 11 Pro models.

All three are roughly the same speed for computational tasks. So, speed isn't really a big differentiator between the 2019 models.

The iPhone 11 Pro is the way to go if you put a big priority on your photos. The entire iPhone Pro line gets an improved tele lens for better-detailed photos when zoomed in. If you zoom into your photos frequently now, then an iPhone Pro is hands down where to spend your money.

Silver iPhone 11 Pro
Silver iPhone 11 Pro

Similarly, for looking at photos or video on your phone, the display of the iPhone 11 Pro is where you want to be. The iPhone 11 Pro has a new Super Retina XDR display that has an improved two million to one contrast ratio and up to 1200 nits of brightness.

With the max of 1200 nits during HDR or Dolby Vision content the iPhone 11 Pro really excels with video playback.

iPhone 11

Last year, we recommended that the majority of people should pick up the iPhone XS. It was the middle-tier phone that the vast majority would be happy with. This year, we are recommending that most people should pick up the iPhone 11, the successor to the iPhone XR.

iPhone 11 Dual cameras
iPhone 11 dual cameras

The iPhone 11 has most of what is in the iPhone 11 Pro line, for a much cheaper price. It even comes in at $50 less than the iPhone XR launched price.

Building on the iPhone XR, the iPhone 11 has a new ultra-wide lens, the same blazing-fast A13 chip as the Pro models, faster Face ID, and a whole lot more. It even fixes issues we saw with the XR such as Portrait mode being limited to people. The iPhone 11 supports stereoscopic Portrait mode and works with both pets and objects.

With a new lower price, new features, and more power, we think that the iPhone 11 will be the phone for the masses.

Go to the Max

There are two real reasons to go with the iPhone 11 Pro Max over the iPhone 11 Pro. Both phones have the same exact specs and performance, but the iPhone 11 Pro Max can go longer on a single charge. The iPhone 11 Pro Max has the longest battery life of any iPhone in the lineup. So if you want the longest battery life, go with the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

The other reason to go with the iPhone 11 Pro Max is the display. The display is the largest of all three iPhones, measuring 6.5 inches versus the 11 Pro's 5.8 and the 11's 6.1 inches.

If having a big display is important, the iPhone 11 Pro Max is the way to go.

We can outline logical reasons and detail the specification to discuss why you should choose one over the other, but when it comes down to it, it is all user preference, and which particular specification suits your use case the best, and ultimately, only you can answer that. Perhaps you have an affinity towards that matte midnight green and against any logic, you will pay the higher price tag to get your hands on it -- and that's ok.

Where to buy the iPhone 11 (and get the best deal)

The new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max are now available to order from Apple and third-party outlets, with many iPhone pre-order incentives already available from wireless carriers and big-box retailers. Units are scheduled to begin shipping Friday, September 20th.

Best iPhone 11 deals

• Verizon Wireless: Get a free iPhone 11 (64GB) via bill credits when you switch to Verizon with select trade-in and Unlimited plan.
  • AT&T Wireless: Buy an eligible iPhone and get the iPhone 11 for free when you buy both on a qualifying installment plan with an eligible AT&T unlimited plan.
  • Sprint: iPhone 11 starts at $0 per month with Sprint Flex lease and select trade-ins.
  • T-Mobile: Trade up to the new iPhone 11 and get up to 50% off.
  • Walmart: Save up to $100 on the iPhone 11. Offer valid only on purchase with installment plan.
  • Sam's Club: Get a $200 Sam's Club gift card with the purchase and activation on installment between Sept. 20 and Sept. 22.
  • Visible: Get up to a $200 Prepaid Mastercard Virtual Account when you buy an iPhone 11 and bring your phone number to Visible. Plus get 0% financing, no money down, no upgrade fees, and free overnight shipping for well-qualified customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I was disappointed that Apple chose to continue with glass backs on these new models. 
  • Reply 2 of 34
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I've always liked the glass back and it might give an edged to RF sensitivity. My questions is - how slippery is it? Many iPhones seem to require a case as a seconds' lapse in grip could mean a problem for glass or metal back.
    I wonder who'll be the first to file a class action suit if/when that they end up with glass in their ass.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Still surprised they didn't coin the term "protography". 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 34
    All of the “deals” with AT&T require adding a new line AND an unlimited plan. 

The unlimited plan is worse value than my 20 GB mobile share with rollover. Because I use about 10 GB, that means every month starts with 30 GB. No overage fees. No throttling. And less money than unlimited. 

And who adds new lines? This isn’t 1998. Everyone has a line of some kind. 
    flyingdpwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    doctwelve said:
    Nah. Just Slophies. 
  • Reply 6 of 34
    And for those looking for a iPhone 11 in a "small" form factor (SE)... Keep Praying, Wishing, Hoping, bashing Apple/Tim Cook, and the one I like the best - throwing a tantrum/huffing/stomping feet and stating "I'm leaving Apple and purchasing something from the Android Market Place"...
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    spice-boy said:
    I was disappointed that Apple chose to continue with glass backs on these new models. 
    Glass or plastic back, or metal and no wireless charging.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    spice-boy said:
    What an intelligent comment. Be sure to tell Apple engineering how they could be doing so much better. 
    tmaynapoleon_phoneapartStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 34
    doctwelve said:
    Nah. Just Slophies. 
    Yeah...and if you’re passing your phone around it would be “slophie seconds”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    macgui said:
    I've always liked the glass back and it might give an edged to RF sensitivity. My questions is - how slippery is it? Many iPhones seem to require a case as a seconds' lapse in grip could mean a problem for glass or metal back.
    I wonder who'll be the first to file a class action suit if/when that they end up with glass in their ass.
    I broke the back glass on my Xs when it fell off a dinning table. The repair is $550 compared to the screen replacement of $179. If you don't buy an ugly cheap silicone case you might have an insane repair bill to contend with. At this point I can only believe that Apple uses glass backs to bring in some extra cash from an inferior design. 
  • Reply 11 of 34

spice-boy said:
    What an intelligent comment. Be sure to tell Apple engineering how they could be doing so much better. 
    HOW is my comment which is based on my experience with a cracked back iPhone XS not and intelligent comment?  Some of you guys are unbelievable in your defense of Apple the way religious zealots go after doubters. Why don't you give me the phone # of one of the engineers since you are apparently in with Apple somehow. 
  • Reply 12 of 34
    doctwelve said:
    I’m glad they don’t. 
  • Reply 13 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    spice-boy said:
    What would you like? I don’t want plastic casing on my iPhone and I do want inductive charging.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 34

People who weren’t born in 1998? People starting a new job who need a second phone for business? People changing carriers? 
  • Reply 15 of 34
    “All three iPhones start at 64GB but we recommend most people will need the 256GB capacity.”

Is recommend a correct verb? I can see saying “we recommend getting 256GB” or “we believe most people will need 256GB,” but recommend+need sounds odd to me.

Personally, I dropped the hammer on a 64GB since I’m only using 29GiB, which includes the lasted two 13.1 beta. Additionally, most people I encounter are not using much internal storage when I look at Settings » General » About.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    spice-boy said:
    macgui said:
    I broke the back glass on my Xs when it fell off a dinning table. The repair is $550 compared to the screen replacement of $179. If you don't buy an ugly cheap silicone case you might have an insane repair bill to contend with. At this point I can only believe that Apple uses glass backs to bring in some extra cash from an inferior design. 
    $179! Yikes! Apple should do away with a glass front, too.

On an anecdotal note, I have a flare in my images because my sapphire crystal lens cover is cracked. What material should Apple move all their iPhones over to since sapphire crystal isn’t indestructible?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    I’m so disappointed that I can’t revert back to MobileMe with these new phone. I just don’t get that iCloud stuff.

:D 
  • Reply 18 of 34
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:
    HOW is my comment which is based on my experience with a cracked back iPhone XS not and intelligent comment?  Some of you guys are unbelievable in your defense of Apple the way religious zealots go after doubters. Why don't you give me the phone # of one of the engineers since you are apparently in with Apple somehow. 
    Yeah, 7000 aluminum is tough, but people call it "ugly, boring", and "the design is doomed."  You got what you wanted.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    All of the “deals” with AT&T require adding a new line AND an unlimited plan. 

The unlimited plan is worse value than my 20 GB mobile share with rollover. Because I use about 10 GB, that means every month starts with 30 GB. No overage fees. No throttling. And less money than unlimited. 

Everyone? Sure, I know it seems like kids are born with smartphones in their hands these days, but they still have to be purchased or handed down and require an additional line to be activated.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    spice-boy said:
    macgui said:
    You can also believe the moon is made of cheese, if you like. Doesn’t mean it’s true. Repair income is a rounding error for Apple. 
    watto_cobra