Apple debuts iPhone 11 Pro from $999 with triple rear camera

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 171
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    AppleZulu said:
    dougd said:
    A thousand bucks is just too much for a phone. Count me out
    You might think that, but I recently ran across a 'vintage' TV commercial for the 1971 Sharp EL-8 calculator, which actually named the price for one: $345. That translates to almost $2,200 in 2019, and it didn't have even one camera built in. Or a phone. Or a separate "equals" button. 
    For some people that use their phones constantly during the day, it is by far the least costly thing that they will ever own, based on the hours of use they get out of the device over the length of ownership.

Me, I don't use my current iPhone 7 Plus all that much during the day, but over three years it costs me about $3600 total. which is the carrier contract and the price of the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

That's  3600 / 365 * 3 or about $3.25 a day.

That's not much expense at all, and if you did it on subscription, to large cash outlays for the iPhone.

watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 162 of 171
    jcs2305 said:
    Payments?  Currently on iPhone upgrade program, iPhone XS Max 256 GB and paying ~$60/month.  Looking on the site to order the new iPhone 11 Pro Max 256 GB, monthly payment appears to now be ~$27/month.  Surely this can't be.  Are those figures assuming I've completely paid off the XS Max, even though I'm only 1 year into my iPhone Upgrade Plan, or will I be getting a ~45% discount on my monthly iPhone hardware payment?!!
    The prices are with or without Applecare ( IUP )

Choose a payment option.

Choose a payment option.

Pay monthly with 0% interest. Or make a one-time payment. Either way, you can keep your carrier and rate plan.

Apple iPhone Payments $52.04/mo.
    for 24 mo.* Pay for your iPhone with low monthly payments Use Apple Card as your monthly payment method and get 3% Daily Cash†

Apple iPhone Upgrade Program $60.33/mo.
    for 24 mo.* Option to upgrade to a new iPhone every year AppleCare+ coverage included in your monthly payment Use Apple Card as your monthly payment method and get 3% Daily Cash†

Correct, but right above that is the question:  Do you have a Trade In, with a drop down menu to select the phone you are trading in.  When selecting my iPhone Xs Max, it drops the price of the equivalent iPhone Pro Max to ~$27/month.

You don't own the phone.  Seems like bad design the way they've organized the checkout process.  I was right there with you hoping i suddenly had a much cheaper monthly payment.  but don't think it works that way.
  • Reply 163 of 171
    AppleZulu said:
    dicebier1 said:
    Pretty much expected this.... nothing exciting......sort of like a lame duck year until 5G arrives.
    Will keep my iPhone XS Max for another year.
    If you're expecting annual upgrades to be riveting you'll likely be disappointed for life. Normal people don't upgrade every year, so it's no surprise the updates are the usual 50% processor improvements, camera improvements, etc. You just got an awesome phone last year, so no tears for you.

5G, when it arrives, just means faster loading web pages when not on wifi. Big whoop.
    Annual updates have always been incremental, including when Steve Jobs was alive. Updates of existing product lines are intended to add up over several years to reach a cumulative point were consumers will decide now is the time to upgrade.

Creating that sense in a only single year update will 1) instantly create dissatisfaction among owners of last year's model, and 2) actually cause people not to make a purchase, because they will expect another big leap in just another year, and won't want to put good money into something that's seen as obsolete so quickly. 

Ok then.... explain how the iPhone X was released and the iPhone 8 still posted record sales AND is still available (even now with the 11 announcement)? guess the obsolete theory is kaput.
  • Reply 163 of 171
    AppleZulu said:
    dicebier1 said:
    Pretty much expected this.... nothing exciting......sort of like a lame duck year until 5G arrives.
    Will keep my iPhone XS Max for another year.
    If you're expecting annual upgrades to be riveting you'll likely be disappointed for life. Normal people don't upgrade every year, so it's no surprise the updates are the usual 50% processor improvements, camera improvements, etc. You just got an awesome phone last year, so no tears for you.

5G, when it arrives, just means faster loading web pages when not on wifi. Big whoop.
    Annual updates have always been incremental, including when Steve Jobs was alive. Updates of existing product lines are intended to add up over several years to reach a cumulative point were consumers will decide now is the time to upgrade.

Creating that sense in a only single year update will 1) instantly create dissatisfaction among owners of last year's model, and 2) actually cause people not to make a purchase, because they will expect another big leap in just another year, and won't want to put good money into something that's seen as obsolete so quickly. 

Hmmmmm. iPhone 8 is still around....... announced pretty much along side iPhone X...... guess it's not obsolete!
  • Reply 163 of 171
    tshapi said:
    k2kw said:
    gskibum said:
    Sticking with my iPhone 7 for another year. Or until it stops working reliably.
    That’s a smart move because it’s the last year the modem was always from QualComm.   I think these phones still have Intel modems.   My iPhone 7+ is much better than my iPhone 8+.   I’m waiting another year for the QualComm based phones.   Very Glad they wised up and lowered the price of the 11 but still not very compelling to upgrade.

The modem will be from Apple next year not Qualcomm 
    What are you talking about? Immediately after the Qualcomm Apple settlement Apple started testing Qualcomms 5G chips for use in 2020.

Look it up.
  • Reply 163 of 171
    dicebier1 said:
    You get an evolution [revolution by any other vendor] of the guts and structure and much more with the iPhone 11 series [I'm going to get the MAX and let my 8 PLUS be a back up] upgrade and yet it is quite clear if you have a Developer subscription and checking out the hardware that this phone and watch hands down are miles ahead of their respective competition.

The software coming for the 11 Pro line to truly leverage the film making capabilities w/o breaking the bank is limited only by the limited imagination of the simpletons who still rave about my former boss, Steve Jobs, as if he would have offered something beyond the Moon today, when he would have just delivered the same products with more polish in the Keynote address.
    LMAO! Steve Jobs wouldn't have even let the notch at the top of the phone occur! 
    Seriously, you don't know that. And the notch is the least of the issues
    you're right, I don't "KNOW'" that, but his history shows he would laugh at it and call it unacceptable (perhaps not that politely)
  • Reply 163 of 171
    staticx57 said:
    evilution said:
    Matthew C said:
    Lightning connector on a phone labeled as PRO, what is apple thinking!
    What's un-pro about Lightning? There are some very un-pro Android phones with USB-C.
    Ask Apple.

Apple pro devices with Type C as the only or primary port:
    iPad Pro
    MacBook Pro
    iMac Pro
    Mac Pro

Bonus: Macbook Air
    I agree it’s slightly annoying. As I could do away with lightening cables altogether if they had made the leap to USB-C. It’s a small thing, but annoying to me and a few others it seems.
  • Reply 168 of 171
    dicebier1 said:
    dicebier1 said:
    You get an evolution [revolution by any other vendor] of the guts and structure and much more with the iPhone 11 series [I'm going to get the MAX and let my 8 PLUS be a back up] upgrade and yet it is quite clear if you have a Developer subscription and checking out the hardware that this phone and watch hands down are miles ahead of their respective competition.

The software coming for the 11 Pro line to truly leverage the film making capabilities w/o breaking the bank is limited only by the limited imagination of the simpletons who still rave about my former boss, Steve Jobs, as if he would have offered something beyond the Moon today, when he would have just delivered the same products with more polish in the Keynote address.
    LMAO! Steve Jobs wouldn't have even let the notch at the top of the phone occur! 
    you're right, I don't "KNOW'" that, but his history shows he would laugh at it and call it unacceptable (perhaps not that politely)
    What history? The hockey puck mouse history? The iPod socks history? 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 169 of 171
    dicebier1 said:

And the award for dumbest comment in a 9 page thread goes to...

dicebier1 said:
    dicebier1 said:

No it doesn't. You're projecting.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 170 of 171
     Pretty awesome new device for sure. I'm just not ready for it yet. My iPhone XS Max is faster with iOS13. I'll have to wait for the next years model.
  • Reply 171 of 171
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    AppleZulu said:
    dougd said:
    A thousand bucks is just too much for a phone. Count me out
    You might think that, but I recently ran across a 'vintage' TV commercial for the 1971 Sharp EL-8 calculator, which actually named the price for one: $345. That translates to almost $2,200 in 2019, and it didn't have even one camera built in. Or a phone. Or a separate "equals" button. 
    Yep. Inflation isn’t imaginary and it is destructive to the purchasing power of consumers.
    Good for wiping out mortgage debt, though.