Hands on with Apple's new iPhone 11 case lineup

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2019
With a new line of iPhones, comes a wide array of new iPhone cases from Apple. Let's take a look at the silicone, leather, clear, and folio cases for the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro line.

Apple's new iPhone 11 case lineup
Apple's new iPhone 11 case lineup

There are three different iPhone 11-series phones. The iPhone 11, the iPhone 11 Pro, and the iPhone 11 Pro Max. For the iPhone 11, Apple only has limited cases available -- a clear case, a black silicone, and a white silicone. If you pick up the iPhone 11 and want something more exciting, you will have to explore the vast number of third-party options.

Fortunately, Apple does have a robust lineup for the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Clear case

With the iPhone XR, Apple introduced a clear case to show off the vivid colors. Now, that same case is available for the entire iPhone lineup -- including the iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max.

Apple's clear case comes to the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
Apple's clear case comes to the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max

Apple's clear case is very simple and at first blush looks indistinguishable from the third-party options. Compared to those bargain-bin cases, Apple's has historically been more resistant to yellowing. After having Apple's clear case around for the better part of a year, we can confirm that last year's model is fairly resistant to yellowing. There are small hints in little places but otherwise is still clear, so we're not really worried about this year's iteration either.

Silicone cases

The silicone cases come in several colors including clementine, pine green, Alaskan blue, pink sand, black, PRODUCT(RED), white, and midnight blue. Many of these colors were available before but clementine, pine green, and Alaskan blue are new. At least technically new -- clementine looks very similar to nectarine, and there have always been variations of blue and green.

The silicone cases feel nice and add solid grip though removing them from tight pockets can be difficult.

Leather cases

Meyer Lemon is the new leather color for iPhone 11
Meyer Lemon is the new leather color for iPhone 11

For the leather line of cases, Apple offers six colors -- black, PRODUCT(RED), saddle brown, midnight blue, forest green, and for the first time, Meyer lemon.

Not much has changed on this year's cases, other than the larger camera cutout. What we loved about them before, we still love now. That includes the better tactile feel of the anodized aluminum buttons on the sides that add an additional premium touch.

These leather cases start to develop a patina after only a couple days of use and it only gets better over time. And, in our experience using Apple's cases, the leather ones do hold up better long-term over the silicone ones.

Leather folio

Leather folio for iPhone 11 in aubergine
Leather folio for iPhone 11 in aubergine

For the leather folio, Apple has made it available in both aubergine as well as black. These folios allow for easy storage of bills or cards on the inside of the flap and will automatically sleep/wake the device whenever it is closed or opened.

There is no word on whether the official folio is compatible with Apple Card, given that it is a bit thicker than plastic cards -- but we suspect it will. Time will tell for sure though, and we'll get back to you on this.

You can grab any of Apple's iPhone 11 cases directly from Apple or at Amazon.com.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Were those real iPhone 11 Pro’s in the video or mocks-ups?  The reason I ask is that the camera bump looks different than what I recalled seeing at the launch video.
    Caneman88
  • Reply 2 of 15
    My Apple leather case for X is a thing of beauty. Easy to withdraw but doesnt slide out of pockets. Feel and look still great after two years. Andrew right about buttons too. (It's actually one reason for me not to upgrade. But still hoping I will, once I check out Pro models in person. )
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 15
    scoodog said:
    Were those real iPhone 11 Pro’s in the video or mocks-ups?  The reason I ask is that the camera bump looks different than what I recalled seeing at the launch video.
    Those have to be mock-ups because the camera on the back is different compared to the real iPhone 11 Pro. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 4 of 15
    scoodog said:
    He said they were mockups.
    bageljoeyboltsfan17
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I am a huge fan of Apple’s Smart Battery cases and was super stoked when they came out for the 2018 phones. Disappointed that we did not see new models at launch. Either Apple thinks we don’t need them anymore due to the increased battery life, or they just aren’t ready yet. I have several that are always charged and ready on the wireless chargers throughout my home, and they’re a lifesaver if I forget to charge my phone and happen to be running on empty when I’m headed out the door. Worried about the Qi overhead on the Mophie case, and prefer the software integration and that lovely soft touch silicone from Apple’s version. This may keep me from upgrading for now.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I would get an Apple battery case for my SE in a heartbeat, if Apple made one. My favorite features is that those cases add very little to the overall height of a phone, unlike 90% of the better battery case.

Were I to get an 11 Pro, it'd be Alpine green in a clear case. That would look great. I've never had a leather case for my phones, but I've had an Apple leather case for my iPad mini 2 from Day 1. It's still gorgeous. It fits well.

I was really disappointed when Apple screwed me and other Mini 5 customers by making it 2mm taller. Now that great case can't me transferred to the mini 5. There are nice third-party cases to be found, but none are as elegant as if Apple had made them.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I wonder if the case for iPhone 11 would fit Xr albeit the bigger gap for camera lenses. When I had iPhone 6, I bought a Apple leather case, and it was so durable and so perfect. I was very disappointed when Apple didn't offer leather case for Xr. I tried several products from the competitors, and none of them worked for me.

I bought a Apple clear case last January to reduce the slipperiness of my Xr. Prior to installing the case, I could see the stress distortion (darker shade visible in certain lighting and at certain angle). The store worker installed it for me before sending me off. As I looked at the case, I noticed a very thin crack emanating from the speakers opening. I pointed it out to the same store worker who claimed that it was "normal". I demanded a replacement but was told that I purposedly damaged it. Excuse me?

Five months on, I had to take the case off to clean the dust stuck between the case and iPhone. They were VERY VISIBLE.  Every time, I take the case off and reinstalling it, the crack grows longer and bigger as well as split into a few cracks. In due time, a big chunk would split and fall off. Not worth €45.

• Reply 8 of 15
    macgui said:

Were I to get an 11 Pro, it'd be Alpine green in a clear case.

Please don't get the clear case. I bought one for my Xr, and it starts to crack at the stress points (the curved opening for speakers and Lighting port). Apple Store refused to replace it, citing it a "normal wear and tear". Excuse me?
  • Reply 9 of 15
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Interesting how everyone's experiences differ. I bought a clear case with my XR about 6 months ago and love it. I initially thought it would be a bit too slippery, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. No issues whatsoever. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Where did they find bright yellow cows?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    zhtfreak said:
     I initially thought it would be a bit too slippery, but I haven't found that to be the case at all.
    Ahah!  I see what you did there!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    macgui said:
    I was really disappointed when Apple screwed me and other Mini 5 customers by making it 2mm taller. Now that great case can't me transferred to the mini 5. There are nice third-party cases to be found, but none are as elegant as if Apple had made them.
    They didn’t screw you by making a future product different than one you bought in the past. Your existing product and case for it still function. Devices change, I am no more screwed than you when iPhones changes every year. Or cars. The agreement and exchange was for the product I bought, not an imaginary promise to never change future products. 
  • Reply 14 of 15

A question to anyone that has been using the XR clear case - does it show signs of "yellowing" over time? I've seen very few clear cases that do not start "yellowing" and I'm hoping Apple uses high-end material to ensure this does not happen. I'm planning to buy one for the 11 Pro Max.