Apple TV+ 'Dickinson' not shying away from sex in NYC premiere

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    So I guess we shouldn't be allowed to have Peaky Blinders or Boardwalk Empire or The Favourite or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter because someone might get confused and write their senior thesis on it as if they were historical tomes, the horror! This isn't a documentary.
    Woah woah woah, you’re trying to tell me Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter wasn’t a nonfiction documentary?! That’s a pretty strong accusation to throw around!
    fastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 39
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    And wot about Bill and Ted’s excellent adventure? There was some history bending stuff!

there will be kids that pretend to have studied Dickinson that will actually have some reliance on this series for their assignment. That is just the way it is. But I am a cynical bastard.
    I was objecting to the show runner’s attempt to claim some sort of higher cause to what is at the end of the day their money making plans.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    So you guys got your sexy scenes. Does Apple TV+ still suck?
    StrangeDayscgWerks
  • Reply 24 of 39
    The thing is that I am running out of comedies to watch. I've started watching Psych and Archer for the third time now. The first 2 seasons of Sherlock are also entertaining as hell. So for now, it really is nice when there are new comedies on the horizon.
    15ngcs1
  • Reply 25 of 39
    The thing is that I am running out of comedies to watch. I've started watching Psych and Archer for the third time now. The first 2 seasons of Sherlock are also entertaining as hell. So for now, it really is nice when there are new comedies on the horizon.
    Yeah, what happened to al the comedies? Do people just not like to laugh anymore? Something like Scrubs, The Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Psych, Chuck, anything. It just doesn’t exist anymore, and I’m not entirely sure why. All of those shows are classics!
  • Reply 26 of 39
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Because Apple TV begins with incredible scale that means "non-hits" (possibly Dickinson) can still find passionate large audiences and be successes. It means Apple can take more risks on other titles in some tespects. Big difference than growing organically. Downside is that means highly visible, critics ready to pounce. (Amazon could build its library over many years in relative obscurity.) So Apple needs some critical successes too relatively fast. Great time to enter field. Hope Apple poaches some talent from Vice and produces docs like "Hunting Isis" or merely foodie explorations of global cities.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 27 of 39
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    One more thing: Emily Dickinson is timeless. As platform owner, Apple will be advising certain cadres of users forty years from now " you may also like" 2019 vintage Dickinson series.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Netflix is about massive pack of content so much it's hard to find the good ones, I'll keep Netflix for the children but I lost interest long time ago, also when you watch 5 hours a week it's not so much about how much but more about quality ... and not getting lost or side tracked in the pack of rubbish. I Also have access to HBO series, and yes there are also mediocre shows at best but I like 50% of what I can see ... and that fills most of my week ... having another not over the top content provider is a nice add-on for me ...
    AppleExposed15ngcs1
  • Reply 29 of 39
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    AF_Hitt said:
    Yeah, what happened to al the comedies? Do people just not like to laugh anymore? Something like Scrubs, The Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Psych, Chuck, anything. It just doesn’t exist anymore, and I’m not entirely sure why. All of those shows are classics!
    You can't make a joke anymore without offending someone. And what's considered comedy are lame 'jokes' directed at anyone who isn't a part of the 'Hollywood' culture. Problem is the most of us aren't a part of that culture so we don't tune-in and those shows stop getting made.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Yes, probably even more so now.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    AF_Hitt said:
    The hell are you talking about? Schitt's Creek, Letterkenny, Barry, Veep, Russian Doll, Grace & Frankie, GLOW, PEN15, Broad City, Silicon Valley... just a few off the top of my head that most definitely "exist".
    edited September 2019 15ngcs1
  • Reply 32 of 39

razorpit said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    You can't make a joke anymore without offending someone. And what's considered comedy are lame 'jokes' directed at anyone who isn't a part of the 'Hollywood' culture. Problem is the most of us aren't a part of that culture so we don't tune-in and those shows stop getting made.
    None of this is true.
    15ngcs1
  • Reply 33 of 39
    entropys said:
    there will be kids that pretend to have studied Dickinson that will actually have some reliance on this series for their assignment. That is just the way it is. But I am a cynical bastard.
    That's some of the more bizarre gatekeeping I've ever seen here. 

I was objecting to the show runner’s attempt to claim some sort of higher cause to what is at the end of the day their money making plans.

You are cynical. Some people actually do creative jobs not only for the money, you know. I didn't see anything other than a clever way to pitch the show's premise; I think you're projecting.

15ngcs1
  • Reply 34 of 39
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    fastasleep said:
    Why do you assume the producers think the audience is stupid? It sounds like YOU think the audience is too stupid to tell the difference between a historically accurate biopic and historically-inspired fiction. Pretty sure if this show features "Wiz Khalifa shows up as a version of the Grim Reaper" they're absolutely not going for historically accurate.

So I guess we shouldn't be allowed to have Peaky Blinders or Boardwalk Empire or The Favourite or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter because someone might get confused and write their senior thesis on it as if they were historical tomes, the horror! This isn't a documentary.
    At least if it is obvious enough, *some* people will figure it out.
    The bigger problem is the liberty often taken (or even promoted by gov't funded agencies... which would ultimately be taxpayers) to put narratives and historical revisions into media. However, I think while you're right that people will recognize it for what it is, that doesn't necessarily mean certain narratives won't have an impact.

I'm not sure anything can be done about it, as it is an interesting art form. The bigger issues is probably the lack of historical knowledge and critical thinking capabilities of the potential audience.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I wonder how long it will be before Apple more broadly abandons their 'family friendly' stance on content. I'm guessing the cultural pressure/internal-cultural-transformation will be too much for them in not too long. Maybe this is the first experiment?
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 36 of 39

razorpit said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    None of this is true.
    Which part?
  • Reply 37 of 39
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    entropys said:
    The star said on the panel that the script was "unlike anything I've ever read, as a whole this was a character that was written in a way that I've never seen," Steinfeld said. "That Alena was able to take what we do know and also sort of explore the imagination of what this person who wrote these incredible things might be, and show that in a show overall, it's so different, and so wonderful

So not Emily Dickinson, just some other character with the name in common. A reimagining of a recluse.

it could be entertaining, but I hate how Hollywood has to outrageously distort historical figures, probably to send a modern message with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. And the worst is some people might think it is biographical. Imagine poor English teachers marking essays for the next few years.

The reason why Dickinson was the right figure to use for a crazy world like this again, is that she broke all the rules of her time, sort of in secret," the show-runner added. "Her life was boring. Like, not a lot happened the action was up here [in her head]." 
    What a load of pretentious cobblers. They’ve turned her into the Walter Mitty of poetry. 
    Unless you can think of a better way to tell the life story of any writer, this is the way. About 1% of writers document their actual experiences while the other 99% write about stuff they imagine or research.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    entropys said:
    That is just the way it is. But I am a cynical bastard.
    Maybe a little too cynical. I mean: if they really only care about money, surely there are ways to make more of it than with a show about a 19th century poet. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 39
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Folio said:
    One more thing: Emily Dickinson is timeless. As platform owner, Apple will be advising certain cadres of users forty years from now " you may also like" 2019 vintage Dickinson series.

Emily Dickinson is timeless. I'm less certain that a show with deliberate use of lots of contemporary slanguage and pop music will be timeless. You can imagine something like the Tudors or other historical dramas with an effort at timeless language and music lasting for a long time, but less so with a intentionally modernized show.