Early iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro benchmarks reveal 4GB of RAM across all models

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
A cache of benchmark results from what appear to be early iPhone 11 and 11 Pro review units made their way online this week, revealing Apple will for the first time offer identical A-series chip configurations across both mid- and high-tier models.

iPhone 11 Pro

When Apple unveiled iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro at a special event last week, the company noted it would follow convention and power both handset lines with the same A13 Bionic system-on-chip design. Unlike past releases, however, this year's iPhones will be equipped with identical memory allotments and run at uniform clock speeds.

Results from the popular -- and publicly browsable -- Geekbench 4 benchmarking tool reveal six-core A13 chips powering "iPhone12,1," "iPhone12,3" and iPhone12,5" clocked at 2.66GHz. Further, each of the handsets, thought to designate iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, respectively, come with 4GB of RAM standard.

Apple has in the past paired its latest-generation A-series processors with varying amounts of memory, typically assigned by hardware tier. For example, A12 Bionic chips in 2018's iPhone XR were served by 3GB of RAM, while the iPhone XS and XS Max rated 4GB of onboard memory. Both XR and XS ran A12 silicon clocked at 2.49GHz.

The Geekbench scores arrive on the eve of Apple's expected embargo lift on early iPhone 11 and 11 Pro reviews.

Similar to a previous benchmark thought to have been pulled from what is now known as iPhone 11, today's collection of "iPhone12,1" test results average a single-core score of 5453 and a multi-core score of 12921. "iPhone12,3" averages single-core and multi-core scores of 5469 and 13874, respectively, while the "iPhone12,5" puts in average respective scores of 5480 and 13793.

Each handset is quoted as running iOS 13, which is slated to launch on Sept. 19.

The additional RAM allotment for Apple's "entry-level" iPhone 11 is likely a necessity for the handset's high-performing hardware and software suite. Of note, all 2019 iPhone models incorporate the same set of tentpole features, many of which involve processor-intensive camera processes including 4K video recording with extended dynamic range, Night mode and the forthcoming Deep Fusion computational photography function. Other features include augmented reality applications, next-generation gaming, Face ID biometrics and more.

Preorders for iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro went live last Friday ahead of a wide launch on Sept. 20.

For a closer look at Apple's new smartphones, check out AppleInsider's hands-on coverage of iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro, garnered live from their unveiling in Cupertino last week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Wait for it..... people are going to ask "What makes it Pro then? Great! Apple overcharging again!"

My response .... "The regular iPhone 11 is just as capable with a discounted price!"  :D

lolliverStrangeDayscornchipcgWerksmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 48
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    iPhone 11, Pro and Pro Max models are now shown as being in stock in Apple stores in Australia and Japan.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Wait for it..... people are going to ask "What makes it Pro then? Great! Apple overcharging again!"

My response .... "The regular iPhone 11 is just as capable with a discounted price!"  :D

4X4 MIMO LTE in 11Pro models
    2X2 MIMO LTE in 11

I'm pretty sure this means the Pro phones should have better performance in weak signal areas. Does anyone know why the 11 doesn't have the better MIMO?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Called it. When the first Geekbench results said 4 but rumours said 6 I said I’d take real bench marks over an anonymous source. And I was right. Real measurement 1 some guy 0.
    rinosaurmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 48
    The Samsunites are going to eat this 'news' for lunch tomorrow... chew it up and spit it out all over the Web..
    edited September 2019 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 48
    And why should I care if they have 4 or 6 GB of RAM?
    philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 48
    The fact that the iPhone 11 series has the iPhone12,1 product number series gives me hives.
    cornchipMplsPcgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 48
    The tele camera lens in the Pro Models  has to account for something. 12 megapixels, a f/2.0 aperture and a optical zoom of 2x (52 mm equivalent focal length), super retna OLED display, aluminum finish gives it a Pro status. Is that worth the premium pricing? Time will tell.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    The tele camera lens in the Pro Models  has to account for something. 12 megapixels, a f/2.0 aperture and a optical zoom of 2x (52 mm equivalent focal length), super retna OLED display, aluminum finish gives it a Pro status. Is that worth the premium pricing? Time will tell.
    Yes - the wide angle lens is worthless as far as I’m concerned. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve wished I had a wider angle lens but routinely which I could zoom in closer. 

I thought part of the reason the Xr had less RAM was because it has the lower resolution LCD screen vs the Xs’ OLED screen?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 48
    tbsteph said:
    My 12.9” iPad Pro running iOS 13 final beta has memory issues. Safari tabs and apps re-load way more frequently than they did with iOS 12.  I hope 13.1 fixes it.
    rinosaurmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 48
    I heard it was 6. 

I’ll wait until the product is launched and geekbench officially supports the device.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    What makes the 11 Pro a pro? A better camera? That’s it?
    rinosaur
  • Reply 13 of 48
    seankill said:
    What makes the 11 Pro a pro? A better camera? That’s it?
    11 Pro = OLED, 11 = LCD
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 48
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Wait for it..... people are going to ask "What makes it Pro then? ...
    Oh, that's easy. Midnight Green. ;)

But, seriously, the camera. I don't think I've ever wished I had a wider angle on my phone, but I've often wanted some real zoom. (That said, they are all too darn big for me to consider anyway... so until we have an SE Pro, I guess I'm out of luck.)

tbsteph said:
    In context of phones overall, it doesn't really matter. But, in context of iPhones, it has traditionally been a big factor in how many iOS upgrades you can make.

rogifan_new said:
    Safari tabs and apps re-load way more frequently than they did with iOS 12.  I hope 13.1 fixes it.
    Me too! I thought we were just starting to get away from that on iOS.
    rinosaurmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 48
    The fact that the iPhone 11 series has the iPhone12,1 product number series gives me hives.

To borrow a quote from DED: This has all happened before.

The 6th generation iPhone was called the iPhone 5 and people went ballistic.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 48
    64 gb of storage with 4 gb of ram for 1100 dollars and Apple has the audacity to call it Pro?!  The Note 10+ justifies its 1100 dollar price with 256 gb minimum storage plus SD expansion, 12 gb of ram, obviously 4x4 MIMO like they've had for years in any flagship, an S-pen, wireless powershare, 25 watt included 45 watt capable fast charging, twice as fast 15 watt wireless charging, far better screen to body ratio, larger and better quality display (see DisplayMate), time of flight sensor, an entire desktop experience with DEX over USB C, also it actually has USB C.  I'm sure I'm missing things but that's a start.... bring on the sad "BUT IOS IS THE ONLY OPTION" ignorance to try and defend this affront by Apple. 
    philboogie
  • Reply 17 of 48
    64 gb of storage with 4 gb of ram for 1100 dollars and Apple has the audacity to call it Pro?!  The Note 10+ justifies its 1100 dollar price with 256 gb minimum storage plus SD expansion, 12 gb of ram, obviously 4x4 MIMO like they've had for years in any flagship, an S-pen, wireless powershare, 25 watt included 45 watt capable fast charging, twice as fast 15 watt wireless charging, far better screen to body ratio, larger and better quality display (see DisplayMate), time of flight sensor, an entire desktop experience with DEX over USB C, also it actually has USB C.  I'm sure I'm missing things but that's a start.... bring on the sad "BUT IOS IS THE ONLY OPTION" ignorance to try and defend this affront by Apple. 
    Then go purchase the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+. Where is it written that Apple has to have what other Android phones have? If that’s the case it’s no longer an iPhone, but an Android phone. So far, it’s looking like Apple is going to sell a lot of these new iPhones. For those complaining of not enough features, it’s your money, spend it on the things you want. And believe me, I get it, Apple could have delivered a bit more on this release: bigger base storage, less notch, actual statistics of how the new iPhone is better than the previous instead of generic terms, I’m guessing we will have to wait until 2020 for something way different. One last note, if Apple is selling millions of phones each quarter, why would they want to make drastic changes?
    tmayphilboogiewatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 48
    The last Samsung I had was an S9 Plus. At the time I fell for the “Hardware Superiority” argument too, and sure - everything you say is true (on paper). But I still sold it after just 6 months. (Trade in is also a lot lot less for androids of any brand) 

Android, and in particular Samsung’s implementation is just not as polished, consistent or reliable enough to justify it being a premium replacement of a top end iPhone. The cameras were also - to be frank , not that good.  And I actually missed iPhone specific things like iMessage too. 

The final straw was when the phone started playing me an advert for crypto when it was locked and in silent mode. No idea what triggered the ad. Didn't seem to be browser related. Didn’t trust it after that. 

I can’t remember how much Gb of ram it had , but I suspect it would have been just as fine with 1/2 the amount like my friends OnePlus. Specs just for the sake of it don’t impress me now. Apple’s premium phones are just exceptional, even if expensive. 

Leason learned. Went back to Apple. Never been happier. 
    tmayGeorgeBMacpujones1watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 48
    First Geekbench scores are floating here long. But Saturday appeared first AnTuTu Benchmark for 11. Adding another 100k to score! https://www.antutu.com/doc/119269.htm

But there is big confusion in scores as Android version has app version 8 that gives completely different scores, 20% higher probably.

• Reply 20 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tbsteph said:
    For some people RAM does impAct usability.  For me I don’t think it makes a difference, since getting an XS I haven't seen issues with the lack of RAM.  
    edited September 2019