Early iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro benchmarks reveal 4GB of RAM across all models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is a bit sad because all the confusion about RAM (this isn’t the last word) could be solved by Apple being honest and simply specifying the amount in the specs.  There is no need to focus on it in marketing material but for those that need to know just publish the official number!!!!! 

Sometimes Apple is too “Apple” for its own good. 
  • Reply 22 of 48
    The fact that the iPhone 11 series has the iPhone12,1 product number series gives me hives.

To borrow a quote from DED: This has all happened before.

The 6th generation iPhone was called the iPhone 5 and people went ballistic.

Uhm, I believe only TS went bazurk 😃
  • Reply 23 of 48
    The Samsunites are going to eat this 'news' for lunch tomorrow... chew it up and spit it out all over the Web..

Samsunites :D
  • Reply 24 of 48
    bsimpsen said:
    seankill said:
    What makes the 11 Pro a pro? A better camera? That’s it?
    11 Pro = OLED, 11 = LCD
    Meh. Not sure how that makes a device a “pro” device. After all, the iPad Pro has an lcd. 

It’s just marketing  I won’t drop $1100 on a phone with 4GB ram and 64GB storage. 
    doyoulikepie
  • Reply 25 of 48
    The fact that the iPhone 11 series has the iPhone12,1 product number series gives me hives.

Where is he btw? It's been years since I the last time I read a comment from him here.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    wizard69 said:
    This is a bit sad because all the confusion about RAM (this isn’t the last word) could be solved by Apple being honest and simply specifying the amount in the specs.  There is no need to focus on it in marketing material but for those that need to know just publish the official number!!!!! 

Sometimes Apple is too “Apple” for its own good. 
    In my opinion Apple didn’t publish it in the past because they were so skimpy with it. I believe the first iPad had 512MB. The first iPad Air had 1GB and it was awful. Safari tabs constantly reloaded. It was so annoying. iPhone 6 had 1GB as well which was also not nearly enough, especially with the device getting several years of os updates. iOS 13 has been a step back in this department. I’ll be watching something in YouTube, I’ll pause it and flip to Safari or another app for a minute and when I flip back the app reloads. It’s incredibly annoying. I hope 13.1 fixes this. I never had memory issues with iOS 12.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    64 gb of storage with 4 gb of ram for 1100 dollars and Apple has the audacity to call it Pro?!  The Note 10+ justifies its 1100 dollar price with 256 gb minimum storage plus SD expansion, 12 gb of ram, obviously 4x4 MIMO like they've had for years in any flagship, an S-pen, wireless powershare, 25 watt included 45 watt capable fast charging, twice as fast 15 watt wireless charging, far better screen to body ratio, larger and better quality display (see DisplayMate), time of flight sensor, an entire desktop experience with DEX over USB C, also it actually has USB C.  I'm sure I'm missing things but that's a start.... bring on the sad "BUT IOS IS THE ONLY OPTION" ignorance to try and defend this affront by Apple. 
    Include the link that has displaymates review of the iPhone 11 Pro and Max screens. I am interested to see the differences between them and the Note 10, Also I believe the Pro models will come with an 18W fast charger and not 15W as you stated.  

Enjoy your Note 10+ btw it sounds as if you are very passionate about it's specs and screen.  

https://forums.androidcentral.com

I am sure the folks here would gladly join in on your unreleased iPhone bashing as well.   B)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48
    why did they not make the leather folio case’s for all 3 iphone 11’s not just the pro models
  • Reply 29 of 48
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,965member
    bsimpsen said:
    seankill said:
    11 Pro = OLED, 11 = LCD
    Meh. I know a lot of people get worked up about OLED vs LCD, but when the Xs and Xr came out I compared them side by side and the difference in image was somewhere between barely noticeable and nonexistent, closer to the latter. Quality depends more on the quality of the screen than the technology behind it. 
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    MplsP said:
    bsimpsen said:
    seankill said:
    11 Pro = OLED, 11 = LCD
    Meh. I know a lot of people get worked up about OLED vs LCD, but when the Xs and Xr came out I compared them side by side and the difference in image was somewhere between barely noticeable and nonexistent, closer to the latter. Quality depends more on the quality of the screen than the technology behind it. 
    I genuinely think everyone’s eyes are different. My wife said the same as you. But to me the difference was instantly obvious and so much better on the XS vs the XR, especially on text websites with fine fonts (I actually thought the XR screen was better than expected it to be, despite it having the lower resolution and would probably be happy with it if I wasn’t holding it side by side with an XS). 

Now whether it’s worth another £300+ is another question entirely. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    jcs2305 said:
    64 gb of storage with 4 gb of ram for 1100 dollars and Apple has the audacity to call it Pro?!  The Note 10+ justifies its 1100 dollar price with 256 gb minimum storage plus SD expansion, 12 gb of ram, obviously 4x4 MIMO like they've had for years in any flagship, an S-pen, wireless powershare, 25 watt included 45 watt capable fast charging, twice as fast 15 watt wireless charging, far better screen to body ratio, larger and better quality display (see DisplayMate), time of flight sensor, an entire desktop experience with DEX over USB C, also it actually has USB C.  I'm sure I'm missing things but that's a start.... bring on the sad "BUT IOS IS THE ONLY OPTION" ignorance to try and defend this affront by Apple. 
    Include the link that has displaymates review of the iPhone 11 Pro and Max screens. I am interested to see the differences between them and the Note 10, Also I believe the Pro models will come with an 18W fast charger and not 15W as you stated.  

Enjoy your Note 10+ btw it sounds as if you are very passionate about it's specs and screen.  

https://forums.androidcentral.com

I am sure the folks here would gladly join in on your unreleased iPhone bashing as well.   B)
    I forgot to mention the iPhone doesn't use UFS 3.0 like the Note 10+.  There is no display mate comparison yet, but given that the Note 10+ set 13 records and is hands down the best mobile display DM has tested, it's incredibly unlikely the iPhone 11 pro will be superior...especially when you consider that Samsung produces both displays.  

You misread my wireless charging comment about 15 watts..the Note 10+ can receive a 15 watt charge wirelessly, only 3 watts less than Apple's "fast" wired USB C to lightning abomination which delivers 18 watts (USB C on the charger but not the iPhone...WHAT?!... saving for next year's innovation? ).  The iPhone uses the old Qi standard and can only receive 7.5 watts wirelessly,  and of course no wireless powershare. Over a wire, the Note 10+ can take a 45 watt charge....2.5 times as fast as Apple's "pro" device. All of this and no S-pen, fingerprint reader, USB C, or desktop experience on the iPhone. Also no always on display, which is excellent..just remembered that. 

The specs of the iPhone 11 pro are released and they're insulting...I don't consider that pre-release bashing...just an analysis of the facts. I guess you're feeling good about 64 gb ufs 2.0 storage and 4 gb ram. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 32 of 48
    kevnbkevnb Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    comments are funny, the pro models are confirmed to have 6 gb ram, the pro models also come with the better screen and camera. The screen on the non pro is still quite nice, but many people wanted the type of screens samsung has on their much slower devices so apple gave them the option. Gary over at android authority does a good job explaining why apples phones are so much faster and why their socs are much more expensive to make.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 48
    kevnb said:
    comments are funny, the pro models are confirmed to have 6 gb ram, the pro models also come with the better screen and camera. The screen on the non pro is still quite nice, but many people wanted the type of screens samsung has on their much slower devices so apple gave them the option. Gary over at android authority does a good job explaining why apples phones are so much faster and why their socs are much more expensive to make.
    Do share this alleged 6gb ram confirmation..
    I've seen that no where. Are we looking at 1/2 the RAM or the more likely 1/3 RAM of the Note 10+.... Pro users need to know. You know what would be really pro? Apple actually publishing specs instead of weak marketing slogans. 
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Carnage said:

Where is he btw? It's been years since I the last time I read a comment from him here.
    Sorry, don't know. I've been absent from this site as well for ≈ 2 years, so aren't up to date on (former) posters. I do see solipsism is still here, amongst other familiar names. All good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 48
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    doyoulikepie said:
    I've seen that no where. Are we looking at 1/2 the RAM or the more likely 1/3 RAM of the Note 10+.... Pro users need to know. You know what would be really pro? Apple actually publishing specs instead of weak marketing slogans. 
    The problem is that it is irrelevant kind of stuff for cross-platform comparison. So, if they list it, they lose out to spec-shoppers. While I suppose more RAM is better than less RAM (in comparison within the line), it is kind of like comparing MHz/GHz between different kinds of CPUs. It only matters for comparison within proper context.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,363member
    The awaited teardown has begun... And LIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DtW52b6t30
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Carnage said:

Uhm, I believe only TS went bazurk ߘ㦬t;/div>

Sorry, don't know. I've been absent from this site as well for ≈ 2 years, so aren't up to date on (former) posters. I do see solipsism is still here, amongst other familiar names. All good.
    I liked TS but he was not someone who cared much about rules. :) He danced to his own drummer. 

He also didn't mind telling the site managers he didn't care about rules either, I think at one point challenging them to ban him. So they did. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 38 of 48
    ...and yes there's a wireless charging coil. 

...AND iFixit finds there's two battery connectors in the iPhone 11 Pro as well, a sign that bilateral wireless charging was planned but didn't make it to launch. There is another unnamed source (at Apple) who says the necessary coil is not there so no it's not something that could be added via an update.

Other details will be posted when iFixit does their Pro Max teardown later today. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 39 of 48
    cgWerks said:
    doyoulikepie said:
    The problem is that it is irrelevant kind of stuff for cross-platform comparison. So, if they list it, they lose out to spec-shoppers. While I suppose more RAM is better than less RAM (in comparison within the line), it is kind of like comparing MHz/GHz between different kinds of CPUs. It only matters for comparison within proper context.
    There's only a grain of truth to the cross platform argument; Apple knows they have dismal RAM specs so they don't share them. In any case, conjecture is over... The first actual side by side speed tests are on YouTube. And guess what? The Note 10+ crushes the iPhone 11 pro Max, especially at RAM management... Which isn't too surprising. I expected more from the A13 chip, but no one is surprised 4gb of RAM is inadequate. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 40 of 48
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    doyoulikepie said:
    There's only a grain of truth to the cross platform argument; Apple knows they have dismal RAM specs so they don't share them. In any case, conjecture is over... The first actual side by side speed tests are on YouTube. And guess what? The Note 10+ crushes the iPhone 11 pro Max, especially at RAM management... Which isn't too surprising. I expected more from the A13 chip, but no one is surprised 4gb of RAM is inadequate. 
    I can't speak to this generation (and I don't care enough about it to put in any effort checking), but that hasn't been true in the past. If Apple skimped too much this time, well then bad on them.

I'd imagine that RAM will become more important as apps get more pro. Up until recently, it just didn't really matter.