iPad Pro 'final design mockup' shown with iPhone 11 Pro triple camera bump

Posted:
in iPad
The first physical leak of a new iPad Pro model has allegedly surfaced, with the back of a mock-up tablet shown with a square triple-lens camera bump in the corner, supposedly showing Apple is bringing the iPhone 11 Pro cameras to its top-of-the-line tablets.

Seemingly confirming Chinese rumors from early August, the photographed model is equipped with three camera lenses in the top corner, arranged in a square. Rather than taking the arrangement shown in the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, where a third lens is off to the side and positioned at a heigh halfway between the two others, the version pictured instead opts to include the flash as one of the four points of interest, putting one element in each quadrant.

The image released by Sonny Dickson is said to be of a mock-up, and not a production-ready model, so elements are subject to change if it is genuine. The camera bump also seemingly lacks glass elements for covering the entire bump surface, the lenses, and the flash.

The omission of glass and the camera lens positioning casts doubt on whether this truly is an Apple mockup, however the publication claims it received the final design mockup from a "source that has repeatedly been reliable about previous iPad hardware."

(via Sonny Dickson)
(via Sonny Dickson)

Further study of the photograph offers few extra clues about the upcoming iPad Pro, with it using a relatively bare back, save for the Apple logo, the "iPad" branding, the camera bump, and the Smart Connector towards the base.

Current speculation has Apple rumored to be holding a launch event in October for the new models. The timing of the event would mark one year since Apple last refreshed the lineup, with October 2018's launch introducing a full-face display and Face ID.

Apple just launched a new 10.2-inch 7th-generation iPad, the first to feature Apple's Smart Connector. Using a larger Retina display and including support for the Apple Pencil and the full-size Smart Keyboard, the latest iteration is shipping at the end of September, starting from $329.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    OMG - that camera bump is SO UGLY! I wouldn’t be caught dead with that iPad Pro! /s

Seriously, iPads, particularly the 12” pro, are not used for picture taking in the same manner as an iPhone so I’m not sure how much sense it makes to put the same camera cluster, although from a component supply perspective it may be easier/cheaper. 

Face ID would be awesome, though. 
    edited September 2019 jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Apple design is not sticking more stuff on top of other stuff. No wonder Jon Ive left.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    I very much doubt Apple would do a mockup which looks like a toy camera screwed or glued on a ipad. 
    trashman69firelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 30
    I very much doubt Apple would do a mockup which looks like a toy camera screwed or glued on a ipad. 
    How to delete a accidental double entry?
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 5 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MplsP said:
    OMG - that camera bump is SO UGLY! I wouldn’t be caught dead with that iPad Pro! /s

Seriously, iPads, particularly the 12” pro, are not used for picture taking in the same manner as an iPhone so I’m not sure how much sense it makes to put the same camera cluster, although from a component supply perspective it may be easier/cheaper. 

1) That mockup is very rough and that camera setup is very unappealing.

2) I've seen plenty of people using an iPad as a camera. It's a device they have on them and the large display is helpful for many. Does Apple typically not move general camera tech from the iPhone to the iPad?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:

2) I've seen plenty of people using an iPad as a camera. It's a device they have on them and the large display is helpful for many. Does Apple typically not move general camera tech from the iPhone to the iPad?
    The iPad is too large to be used as a POS camera. But it can (and is) used in tripod mounted situations by professionals, who don't mind the bulk in capturing so that they can have the benefit of the screen for editing immediately after.

Too bad Apple doesn't let iCloud Photos speed up its own process of syncing between devices by letting two local devices sync peer-to-peer. I would really appreciate this, as I always shoot on iPhone, and then wait wait wait until I can view them on iPad.
    Christopher Pelhamtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    spice-boy said:
    Apple design is not sticking more stuff on top of other stuff. No wonder Jon Ive left.
    Say, why don’t you also tell us what Steve Jobs would do? You’re on a roll for explaining the thoughts and feelings of people you’ve never been in the same room as, let alone ever met or grown close to. Don’t let reality get in the way, you’re an expert!
    edited September 2019 uraharagutengeltmaygilly33fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    MplsP said:

iPad Pro has Face Id already now.
    StrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:

The iPad is too large to be used as a POS camera. But it can (and is) used in tripod mounted situations by professionals, who don't mind the bulk in capturing so that they can have the benefit of the screen for editing immediately after.

Too bad Apple doesn't let iCloud Photos speed up its own process of syncing between devices by letting two local devices sync peer-to-peer. I would really appreciate this, as I always shoot on iPhone, and then wait wait wait until I can view them on iPad.
    Interesting idea about syncyng the iCloud photos directly between the divices. I know that it would be great. Sometimes I need to wait for almost an hour after I come home, before I can see my new photos on my laptop. But there are probably some challenges to overcome, if Apple would consider implementing it. E.g. You shot on the iPhone, it starts syncing to the iCloud, it gets synced to iPad, you delete the picture (or edit) on the iPad, which version should be loaded to iCloud? iPhone is still loading it to iCloud, iPad has a different version of the picture (or deleted picture).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MplsP said:

Oh for crying out loud. I’m tired of people whining about how ugly camera bumps are. There isn’t a single device out there with an attractive camera bump, people, so get over it. This is a matter of form follows function. The bumps where the cameras are lined up is much worse, from an operational standpoint. My real concern is that the cameras aren’t in an equidistant design as they are in the phone, but this isn’t too bad. When the three cameras are lined up, the problem is that the end cameras are much further apart than either of the close pairs, leading to odd differences in 3D angulation.
    edited September 2019 StrangeDaysMetriacanthosaurustmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:

The iPad is too large to be used as a POS camera.
    You say that and yet I see it all the time. Clearly it's both possible and frequently done.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Soli said:

You say that and yet I see it all the time. Clearly it's both possible and frequently done.

I see it less and less.  That story was from 2014 and showing an iPhone 5 for a screen.

It is ridiculous to haul an iPad around and use it for a Camera.  And this is coming from someone who has done it.  The screen size makes it very nice.  Nothing else about it is practical.

And I KNOW everyone laughs at the person using it as a camera.  :>) 
  • Reply 13 of 30
    urahara said:
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:

Interesting idea about syncyng the iCloud photos directly between the divices. I know that it would be great. Sometimes I need to wait for almost an hour after I come home, before I can see my new photos on my laptop. But there are probably some challenges to overcome, if Apple would consider implementing it. E.g. You shot on the iPhone, it starts syncing to the iCloud, it gets synced to iPad, you delete the picture (or edit) on the iPad, which version should be loaded to iCloud? iPhone is still loading it to iCloud, iPad has a different version of the picture (or deleted picture).
    It wouldn't be a problem, it would just fast track the item being available on the nearby device. The database itself should be update immediately so that iCloud and any connected device instantly knows that a new photo is added to the library, even if it isn't uploaded yet. Then while Device A goes through its long, slow, criteria-laden process of uploading a photo to iCloud, it also transfers it directly to Device B nearby at 500 MB/s. Device B's local copy is flagged as having come from the automatic peer transfer, so it isn't uploaded to iCloud. Now Device A can take its time uploading to iCloud, and once done, Device B simply recognizes the cloud copy and local copy as the same.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Soli said:

I see it less and less.  That story was from 2014 and showing an iPhone 5 for a screen.

It is ridiculous to haul an iPad around and use it for a Camera.  And this is coming from someone who has done it.  The screen size makes it very nice.  Nothing else about it is practical.

And I KNOW everyone laughs at the person using it as a camera.  :>) 
    I have an elderly family member with an iPad mini in her purse and poor eyesight. I've seen her use the camera for capturing video, still images, and even for enlarging text so she could read it more easily. Maybe a large iPhone would work just as well for her, but since the iPad is her main device I don't expect her to change.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30

melgross said:
    MplsP said:

Oh for crying out loud. I’m tired of people whining about how ugly camera bumps are. There isn’t a single device out there with an attractive camera bump, people, so get over it. This is a matter of form follows function. The bumps where the cameras are lined up is much worse, from an operational standpoint. My real concern is that the cameras aren’t in an equidistant design as they are in the phone, but this isn’t too bad. When the three cameras are lined up, the problem is that the end cameras are much further apart than either of the close pairs, leading to odd differences in 3D angulation.
    It borders on unstable the way some people complain about the aesthetics of the back of the phone, which they spend precisely 0% of their time looking at. All that matters is that it takes the best pictures possible, and still fits in your pocket.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Couldn't they have made the iPad thicker to loose the bump and filled the extra space with battery? I doubt you would notice the difference when carrying it and then it would lie flat on any surface. Having longer battery life would not suck either.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    While I don't doubt a triple lens on an iPad, why wouldn't Apple reinforce its own branding by using the same array configuration as the iPhone 11 Pro? 

That mockup certainly does not look like the iPhone's equidistant triple camera configuration
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Funny timing for me. I have personally always thought people using iPads for photos looked ridiculous and made me chuckle every time. but...

I’m at Disneyland Paris with my family and this very day, I woke up to my iPhone X on 1% battery. (Before you say it, we’d left the bag with the portable battery packs at home - Doh)

I was left with no choice. If I wanted some photos of my daughter going crazy with excitement when she saw her favourite characters. I had to use my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen to take the snaps.

after about an hour of cringing at myself, I got over it and went with it. Worked quite well to be honest.

I’ll unlikely ever do it again, and I was literally the only one doing it. But I’m glad I got the pics  
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 30
    For everyone that says iPad shouldn’t be used as a camera should go to any club volleyball tournament.  You will see 125 courts and each court could have 4+ iPads videoing the game and used for taking stats.     
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I am an older person who doesn’t have a smartphone.  I use my iPad to take photos all the time, and if I were in someone’s way I would ask them to excuse me and work it out with them so that I would not block their viewpoint anymore than their  large body would block mine. I enjoy having the large Viewfinder and I wouldn’t dream of caring if someone thought it ridiculus that I used a function on my expensive iPad that I paid for.

Having said that, one of the things that was good for the iPads up to this time is that the camera bump did not cause the iPad to wobble laying flat. I wonder if that is still true with this much larger camera bump. 
    watto_cobra